Paulo Sergio

Sten Guns

The non-playing of Sutton baffles me,he was THE player almost everyone wanted,one we all knew could score goals for us,now I'm also baffled as to why the same people are quite happy for him to be left in the stand just because PS or who ever doesn't want to play him.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rough calculation in my head i'd say that we have not scored in around 60% of the games that Csaba Sergio has managed us for.

Sutton wasn't doing it in the first team when he was playing. That's not a controversial statement and certainly wasn't controversial at the time he was in the team. I know that I'll now be given the "he scored two against Aberdeen and then was never seen again" line that is trotted out in response to that, but aside from it being inaccurate, I distinctly remember the majority saying they were pleased for him but his performance overall was poor.

The simple fact is, if he was proving in training that he was better than Stevenson, Smith and Elliott, he'd be in the side ahead of them. He's not, so I can only assume that he isn't.

We need to be scoring more goals, but this "FORE FOWER TOOOOOOO" and "WE HUV A 17 GOAL STRIKER IN THE STAND" chat is over simplistic in the extreme.

Seymour M Hersh

Unsure why you quoted Shaun, and then didn't respond to a single point he made.

Brilliant.

Thanks for the reaction tough guy! :lol:

it's not shocking patter, it's a valid point.

No it's not. NOBODY is saying he is better than he was.

Have a picture.

_55386234_sutton466.jpg

Incidentally - and taking into account Ross' entirely fair point above (I concur about his posts, and Teenwolf's, for that matter), you know when I think it's really fair to truly start judging Sergio? Christmas Eve, after the Motherwell game.

Next week, we'll be doing well to get more than a point. But after that, we really ought to win three of the next four; and the confidence gained from that could/should enable us to beat Motherwell too.

By the time that game's been played, we should be 4th comfortably, and closing on 'Well. If we're not, loud questions should be asked IMO.

Can't quite understand why people are so convinced that Sergio will turn this around.

Dazzled by the fact that he had a short spell at a big club?

I find it amazing how folk have been so quick to stick the knife into JJ yet are willing to believe this guy is the man for the job after so many poor performances and selections.

Have a picture.

_55386234_sutton466.jpg

thanks. i forgot about that tap-in.

:cornette:

Have a picture.

_55386234_sutton466.jpg

I disagree and think it is a valid point.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

He seems to be stubbornly persevering with the system he has in place but surely he has to see that at the moment it isn't working.

Playing well, making chances. Great.

But we can't score goals.

My worry is his seeming inflexibility of mind at the moment.

The Aberdeen match was our FOURTH league match of the season.

Writing off a player with a proven record so quickly is absolutely ridiculous whatever way you look at it.

His time at Hearts has been poor no doubt.

The Sutton chat is born from the fact he is a proven striker in this league, I've read he scored 17 goals last season. He's likey to score a few for us aswell then and yet hasn't had the chance while we play a midfielder out of position.

It's repetitive chat because it's a good point to make. He should have a run of games IMO.

And every other season. 20 goal a season superstar?

PS should be given 4 years to build his own side.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Sutton wasn't doing it in the first team when he was playing. That's not a controversial statement and certainly wasn't controversial at the time he was in the team. I know that I'll now be given the "he scored two against Aberdeen and then was never seen again" line that is trotted out in response to that, but aside from it being inaccurate, I distinctly remember the majority saying they were pleased for him but his performance overall was poor.

The simple fact is, if he was proving in training that he was better than Stevenson, Smith and Elliott, he'd be in the side ahead of them. He's not, so I can only assume that he isn't.

We need to be scoring more goals, but this "FORE FOWER TOOOOOOO" and "WE HUV A 17 GOAL STRIKER IN THE STAND" chat is over simplistic in the extreme.

I know this is a bit tongue in cheek but Newcastle are second in the Premiership playing 4-4-2

Life in the old dog yet.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

And every other season. 20 goal a season superstar?

Very few managers are given half that these days.

Have to confess as to being bored shitless of the players we have at the club.

As for Sergio...

I'm not sure either way. Cant see him being able to strengthen in January, which is what he needs - to being in his own players.

The Aberdeen match was our FOURTH league match of the season.

Writing off a player with a proven record so quickly is absolutely ridiculous whatever way you look at it.

nobody is writing him off though. the point is that he wasn't cutting it and has so far failed to persuade the manager to put him back in.

sergio's choice is so far to stick by stevenson, within the formation he prefers, and at the moment his choice has to be respected as better informed than any of us.

I think we need a ball playing midfielder and one of those intelligent continental forwards that cost a bomb(so no chance of that)

Napoleon  Wilson

John Sutton scored 17 goals last season for Motherwell. Yet he cannot get a game or even warm the bench.

Some folk on here say he's shite/ dosent do enough during games/ lightweight for a big man etc.

Last time at home i mind him tapping in a couple of goals.

Very few managers are given half that these days.

He is building solid foundations. Fans and owners expect miracles.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

nobody is writing him off though. the point is that he wasn't cutting it and has so far failed to persuade the manager to put him back in.

sergio's choice is so far to stick by stevenson, within the formation he prefers, and at the moment his choice has to be respected as better informed than any of us.

He sees something 12,000 people can't see every other week.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

He is building solid foundations. Fans and owners expect miracles.

Whatever. The last ten managers were supposed to be building something, too.

Toxteth O'Grady

As long as it is with another club I'd be happy with that.

John Sutton.

Sutton.

If we play Sutton then....

Sutton

John.

Chris

Sutton likes.

Sutton

He sees something 12,000 people can't see every other week.

correct. the players in training every day.

thanks.

If you're not playing Sutton you've got to play Smith as we don't have much else. However, far too soon to be shouting for the head of PS. I've had enough kneee jerk reactions to last me all season to be honest

John Sutton scored 17 goals last season for Motherwell. Yet he cannot get a game or even warm the bench.

Some folk on here say he's shite/ dosent do enough during games/ lightweight for a big man etc.

Last time at home i mind him tapping in a couple of goals.

He at least deserves a place on the bench as a different option because right now bringing on Elliott for Stevenson is just pretty much like for like.

I know this is a bit tongue in cheek but Newcastle are second in the Premiership playing 4-4-2

Life in the old dog yet.

Like I say, it's over simplistic. Most of the people demanding 4-4-2 on here are not taking into consideration anything other than them wanting two strikers on the pitch. Newcastle can be successful with it because they have different kinds of players on the flanks, and some top midfielders who can both attack and defend e.g. Tiote. I don't see us being able to play 4-4-2 successfully in the SPL without dropping down to one winger and leaving Skacel out - and I'm not having that we have enough quality in the squad to be able to do that.

Napoleon  Wilson

He at least deserves a place on the bench as a different option because right now bringing on Elliott for Stevenson is just pretty much like for like.

Agreed, at the very least. Plan B is not working at the mo.

Last time I looked we were fifth in the league.

From the late sixties to early eighties we'd have been delighted with that.

Sense of perspective needed. We just drew away from home to the team immediately below us. Not a great result, not a bad result.

This. A point away from home. 1 point better off than we were this morning. We can be painful to watch but we weren't against Hibs, Celtic or Rangers IMO. I don't understand how the manager is responsible for the same team under performing. I agree with Shaun that starting with 8 defensive players, at home against the so called lesser teams is poor but no one moans when it works. I agree Sutton should be given a run but the manager obviously doesn't rate him and works with him every day. He'll live and die by the results in the end.

All this is easy for me to say cos I only get to watch the highlights mostly and the guys who are travelling and watching 90 mins week in week out are better placed than me.

I disagree and think it is a valid point.

Ok. Show me a post where someone says he is better than he was originally.

Thanks

I wasn't at the game today however games at the moment are all a bit 'boring'. I think the formation could work and we just about have the players for it to work. Yet we are persisting with Mrowiec in the most advanced of the three midfield positions. He is a decent player (when I say decent I mean decent defensively) when we are up against it and don't have much possession. But when we are expected to work the opposition he is a passenger. Little technique and cannot pass.

A midfield trio of Jonsson, Obua and Robinson would be the one for me to see how it works for a few games.

At the moment Stevenson is just about the best option in attack. Temps, yes. Skacel, no. I would prefer Driver there (preferably Suso).

However we also have the players for 4-4-2 and I think it would be the most effective system at the moment. It won't be the most pleasing on the eye but it'll see more goal threat. I'm not a fan of Sutton at all but him and Elliott could probably work very well as a partnership and we have a number of options in terms of a midfield 4.

It comes down to if Paulo is going to be here for the long haul we'll have to suffer a bit of 'boredom' at the moment, and hope that with a bit of transfer work the style of play will work and we'll become more potent.

I wasn't at the game today however games at the moment are all a bit 'boring'. I think the formation could work and we just about have the players for it to work. Yet we are persisting with Mrowiec in the most advanced of the three midfield positions. He is a decent player when we are up against it and don't have much possession. But when we are expected to work the opposition he is a passenger. Little technique and cannot pass.

A midfield trio of Jonsson, Obua and Robinson would be the one for me to see how it works for a few games.

At the moment Stevenson is just about the best option in attack. Temps, yes. Skacel, no. I would prefer Driver there (preferably Suso).

However we also have the players for 4-4-2 and I think it would be the most effective at the moment. It won't be the most pleasing on the eye but it'll see more goal threat. I'm not a fan of Sutton at all but him and Elliott could probably work very well as a partnership and we have a number of options in terms of a midfield 4.

It comes down to if Paulo is going to be here for the long haul we'll have to suffer a bit of 'boredom' at the moment, and hope that with a bit of transfer work the style of play will work and we'll become more potent.

this is correct. or at least what should be the hope.

laying down some foundations on which to build something worthwhile. and hopefully lasting.

this is correct. or at least what should be the hope.

laying down some foundations on which to build something worthwhile. and hopefully lasting.

Let's be honest.

Your deluded if you believe we will build foundations and something will be lasting.

Have you learned anything from Vlads time here?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

To the folk saying Sutton shouldn't play, just say he is given a half dozen games, and say you're right and he is no good, what's the worst that would happen. 0-0 draws? 0-1 defeats? 0-2 defeats? About one goal every two games away from home? That's all happening now. It's not like he would unsettle a scintillating team.

Also, why do some of you think the fans who want to see Sutton can't spell? :)

Let's be honest.

Your deluded if you believe we will build foundations and something will be lasting.

Have you learned anything from Vlads time here?

you clearly missed my use of the word 'hope' then.

okay then, let's not bother even hoping for anything. let's assume every manger will only be here for a year, and let's get ripped in aboot him before he leaves.

I wasn't at the game today however games at the moment are all a bit 'boring'. I think the formation could work and we just about have the players for it to work. Yet we are persisting with Mrowiec in the most advanced of the three midfield positions. He is a decent player (when I say decent I mean decent defensively) when we are up against it and don't have much possession. But when we are expected to work the opposition he is a passenger. Little technique and cannot pass.

However we also have the players for 4-4-2 and I think it would be the most effective system at the moment. It won't be the most pleasing on the eye but it'll see more goal threat. I'm not a fan of Sutton at all but him and Elliott could probably work very well as a partnership and we have a number of options in terms of a midfield 4.

This is the most concerning thing for me.

It's mental to play him there, properly clueless.

IMO, it's the central midfield balance we need to change to score more, not necessarily the system.

It should be Jonsson plus one, then another further forward. I'd like to see Robinson given a proper chance - I know he wasn't particularly great earlier in the season when he got a couple of starts, but I think his energy could open things up for us further forward in a way that Black and Mrowiec can't manage.

IMO, it's the central midfield balance we need to change to score more, not necessarily the system.

It should be Jonsson plus one, then another further forward. I'd like to see Robinson given a proper chance - I know he wasn't particularly great earlier in the season when he got a couple of starts, but I think his energy could open things up for us further forward in a way that Black and Mrowiec can't manage.

Nailed it.

Gaiping hole in the middle of the park and it's been there since Hartley left :down:

correct. the players in training every day.

thanks.

mate that is the same argument many in here trotted out when questions were being asked about csaba's shoddy team selections. It was even used to justify mrowiec being played up front one game.

The flaw in that argument you run is that if he is indeed a gash manager the fact he sees the players in training every day is irrelevant

A team like this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14910228.stm

No Black and no Mrowiec. A team full of attacking players.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Rudi's goals have dried up as well and we are missing them big time because that basically carried us for parts of last season.

No doubt I'll be subject to dogs abuse for this, but Obua is a much better option than Black or Mrowiec.

We need a player who will get the ball and play simple passes in order to keep the ball, something Obua does. Black is alright at doing this, when he's not chasing down a possible booking.

Working backwards, you have Jonsson who will break up the play, Obua who will keep it moving and ??? to support the attack. The major problem is finding our who ??? is.

ludicrous thread from an equally ludicrous poster. he deserves some time and patience to get it right. it's his first job out of portugal, he's working under trying conditions and he's barely in the door in scottish football.

True.....some are just swallowed up by modern day football`s outlook on things. The striker issue is a bit irritating but he still deserves time...

No doubt I'll be subject to dogs abuse for this, but Obua is a much better option than Black or Mrowiec.

We need a player who will get the ball and play simple passes in order to keep the ball, something Obua does. Black is alright at doing this, when he's not chasing down a possible booking.

Working backwards, you have Jonsson who will break up the play, Obua who will keep it moving and ??? to support the attack. The major problem is finding our who ??? is.

But Obua is the type we need to empty. I`d rather give a young lad a chance alongside the experience we have until we are in a position to go out and get new players in for that area. I don`t want simple sh ite 5 yard passes all the time.

I want thrust, penetration and someone with a bit drive who makes things happen. I think many Hearts fans have come to accept mediocre players in midfield for some reason?

A Colin Cameron would be nice and someone mobile up front like Stephane Adam.

Mroweic and SUTTON does not have the same ring to it.

Archived