McCraes Flags

JamesyJambo

No. It Shouldn't.

I'm not one to make a point about any war but I can't see what's wrong with recognising the efforts of the Hearts men in WW1.

He's not in any way saying that it's wrong to recognise the efforts of Hearts men in WW1, he's saying it's wrong to ignore the efforts of others, and he's absolutely right.

No. It Shouldn't.

I'm not one to make a point about any war but I can't see what's wrong with recognising the efforts of the Hearts men in WW1.

Correct.

Nothing wrong with commemorating our clubs effort in WW1, other clubs lost players and fans too,nothing wrong with them commemorating either,roll on and get a flag.

If this flag helps educate and helps younger generations to 'remember' then that can only be a positive also.

War is nothing to celebrate,however paying tribute to those paid the ulrimate sacrifice,i cant see anything wrong with that.

Correct.

Nothing wrong with commemorating our clubs effort in WW1, other clubs lost players and fans too,nothing wrong with them commemorating either,roll on and get a flag.

If this flag helps educate and helps younger generations to 'remember' then that can only be a positive also.

War is nothing to celebrate,however paying tribute to those paid the ulrimate sacrifice,i cant see anything wrong with that.

exactly

only Hearts fans could fall out about something as simple as this

William H. Bonney

Not sure if I agree regarding displaying it all year. If we were to use it for certain teams, then it would obviously be point scoring and would cheapen the memories of those who lost their lives.

But if it were displayed at all games, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

It's my opinion that the sacrifices these men made shouldn't just be remembered once a year, it should be a constant reminder to everyone what a terrible waste of life WW1 actually was.

I'm sure there was a thread recently about the possibility of a memorial of some sort being built at tynecastle.

Hackney Hearts

Dunfermline, Falkirk, Hibernian and Raith

supporters - this is your memorial too!

I see what you're getting at, but isn't this similar to the way in which many towns and villages have their own war memorials with only the names of local men who died? Those are not meant to disrespect the millions of casualties from other parts of the globe (including Germany), but are intended to honour those with whom the local community will obviously have the strongest connection. It's not trying to say our village/town is better than anybody else's.

Colonel Kurtz

I see what you're getting at, but isn't this similar to the way in which many towns and villages have their own war memorials with only the names of local men who died? Those are not meant to disrespect the millions of casualties from other parts of the globe (including Germany), but are intended to honour those with whom the local community will obviously have the strongest connection. It's not trying to say our village/town is better than anybody else's.

The op is correct in his assertion that some of the the survivors of WW1 would have nothing to do with The poppy ceremonies as they were associated with General Haig who they considered as a butcher who was particularly blaise with the lifes of SCottish troops.

They were also treated terribly on their return to civvies..Land fit for Heroes my arse..the ones I met in The Grey Horse incuding my Grandfather were to a man very bitter and were very cynical about the "Desk Joackies"who went to the remberance ceremonies bedecked in medals.but had never heard a shot fired.

However in respect of the flag ,Kenny is 100% correct...Hearts should be justifiably proud of Macraes,both historically and Geographically..both Heart of Midlothian and Macrae can trace their roots to the same area.

Arthur Street has produced some good men.

We have no reason to apolgise to anyone for honouring and celebrating this.

The speach on the opening of the war memorial should be transcribed on here it is very inspiring

Francis Albert

I actually agree with much you have said there, the fact that celtic have being very anti-poppy over the last few years as meant we have people now going over the top with the whole thing and it does cheaping it!

The one thing about the flag is it was made up with the right intentions, i've spoken to the boy many times and it is only ever used during this time of year and aboard, in my eyes its always being done respectfully and in a classy way, even at easter road that time, it was only out for a wee while during half time.

History should be taught in school, not at a football game!

or and this

"Everybody I'm sure has different approaches to how they approach rememberance day, I'm not proud that the Hearts players went to war but I'm proud of them if that makes any sense. When I remember them I think of the waste of their lives and others during WWI and I wish that it hadn't happened, any of it"

I don't doubt that for a moment. I think my post was clearly directed at those who misuse the remembrance for football reasons, and whatever anyone says, some do.

scots civil war

the point re other clubs and supporters being part of mcCraes battalion is valid but the onus is on their own part to commemorate also

we do remember them of course,men like george mcLay,raith rovers captain iirc and other heroes

the hearts men of 1914,player and supporters, made a ground breaking move which inspired others so why shoud`nt hearts fans of today remember their sacrifice with that superb banner and their thoughts......there were more hearts in mcCraes than any else ffs

those men took part in the greatest war ever,in the history of mankind......lets never forget that...

those men took part in the greatest war ever,in the history of mankind......lets never forget that...

Think you'll find that was W.W.2.bud.

scots civil war

in the context of how the great war was ,it changed everything

empires were lost,the usa became a world power,industry had more inventions and breakthroughs,revolutions were caused,flight became known to millions,spanish flu epidemic etcetc

casualties may be comparable,but in the broadest context chief,the great war was the big one

in the context of how the great war was ,it changed everything

empires were lost,the usa became a world power,industry had more inventions and breakthroughs,revolutions were caused,flight became known to millions,spanish flu epidemic etcetc

casualties may be comparable,but in the broadest context chief,the great war was the big one

Yes i did history at school as well bud :rolleyes:

Shame? Disgrace?

Feeling a bit like Craig Thomson.

The flag with it's Hearts crest sort of ignores the many player/fans of other clubs who also served in McCrae's battalion. Perhaps other clubs should be competing in a remembrence fest.

It also ignores John Allan, John Martin, Robert Mercer, George Miller, Neil Moreland, George Leckie Sinclair, James Hodge Speedie and John Wilson (no, not that one).

Nothing I posted remotely disrespects anyone who served in any war. Quite the contrary IMO.

It doesn't ignore anyone though.

It's got a Hearts badge because we're Hearts supporters, but the flag is commerating the battalion as a whole.

Hearts fans shouldn't be criticised for this, when there is nothing to stop the fans of Raith, Hibs, East Fife, etc doing the same thing. Only idiots believe this is anything to do with point scoring.

the windae cleaner

its all down to personal choice .... i choose to wear a poppy to remember past family members and even friends who have served and passed for our country... the flag itself is a fitting tribute as are the many flags flown around the United Kingdom on or around remembrance day..

i get what the O.P is saying just think his wording is all wrong ..

without going into the rights and wrongs of brave men and women who lost their lives and those who lived through these terrible times.

It is a time to remember all who fell from all walks of life and not a time to be disrespecting those who chose to remember and those who choose not ..

so for me the flag and the fact that its not flaunted at every game makes me have great respect for the person/people who own it :thumbsup:

It's got a Hearts badge because we're Hearts supporters, but the flag is commerating the battalion as a whole.

Hearts fans shouldn't be criticised for this, when there is nothing to stop the fans of Raith, Hibs, East Fife, etc doing the same thing. Only idiots believe this is anything to do with point scoring.

this :thumbsup:

Bang on Eck.

Archived