Robbo has faith

:shitwine:

John Robertson was on BBC saying that he has confidence that we can move past this 'crisis'.

Let's all have Robbo's attitude :thumbsup:

rab obanheartsno1

seen that its good to see the wee man is up beat,we need to all be like that and saturday is a must for a big support to show how much this club means to us

John Robertson was on BBC saying that he has confidence that we can move past this 'crisis'.

Agreed,im going to wear my robbo t-shirt on saturday in his honourthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Gregory House M.D.

The wee man should never have been fired by the club... I'd take him back as managers tomorrow

Taking liberties with the Fat Striker gag now eh..?

The wee man should never have been fired by the club... I'd take him back as managers tomorrow

Totally love the guy and my all time hearts hero, but a manager for us again? No thanks.

kingantti1874

Totally love the guy and my all time hearts hero, but a manager for us again? No thanks.

Did a good job, had us playing good stuff - certainly better than the current incumbent and booted that **** Csaba ...

Booting csaba was I'll agree a highlight ?

Sure was! Would take him back no problem, he has matured more and mellowed also. He admits himself that the job came along too soon for him, but when your club comes calling you answer.

I hope he is back in charge one day!

Did a good job, had us playing good stuff - certainly better than the current incumbent and booted that **** Csaba ...

I think he did a decent job with some very limited players and inheriting a poor situation. If Jamie McAllister hadn't been a rocket he'd have made a cup final as well.

Absolute legend and superb striker, but manager?

The man can't manage his own diet, never mind Heart of Midlothian Football Club. No thanks.

Snake Plissken

Robbo's trouble as a manager for us was that he wanted to play in a different way from Levein but didn't have the players to do it. There was also the feeling he didn't have the temperament to handle the pressure of managing a much bigger club. I remember saying at the time he needed to form the squad he wanted, I thought he'd eventually be successful if he was allowed the time. It's worth remembering that Levein was allowed a couple of relatively poor seasons to get trim a bloated squad and create the best central defensive partnership in the SPL. I think if he'd been allowed more time, he'd have been a success at Leicester, the trouble is the modern game doesn't allow a manager any time to get it right.

Alex Ferguson would have been sacked long before he started winning trophies at Manchester United if he started there today. It's easy to look at a manager's record and decide he wasn't up to the job without taking the circumstances under consideration. Lest we forget, Robertson was only a few minutes away from taking us to the League Cup final in '05 (I will never forgive Jamie McAllister) and took as the semi final of the Scottish cup. We also had that outstanding result in Switzerland with Robbo as manager, so it wasn't all bad with him at the helm.

He just needed time he was never given.

Charlie-Brown

John Robertson served his apprenticeship at Hearts during a time when we were in almost constant crisis and visits from the sheriff officers were a regular occurrence. We came through those crises and we'll come through the same now.

I still think Robbo's got 1 more crack at the SPL if a club will give him the chance, he's older & more experienced now than when he was 1st Hearts manager.

I'd resign him for a third time. Better than any of the other second commings we've signed in the past few years. And a proven goal scoring record.

yabadabadoo1874again

This...will come true(.)

kingantti1874

Absolute legend and superb striker, but manager?

The man can't manage his own diet, never mind Heart of Midlothian Football Club. No thanks.

That's harsh, I'll tell you what - we were a damn sight more enjoyable to go watch than we have been under most mangers since he left.... And certainly better than the present man in the hotseat who has about double the budget... I guarantee we wouldn't be playing with 3cdm at home to killie that's for sure.

It seems like distant history now, but for me Robbo did a good job as manager.

Dealt with the off field strife of the takeover without any public histrionics. Managed us to possibly our greatest European win away in Basle. Got us close in both Cups. I thought the football was better to watch than his predecessors. And it is forgotten how well we played in the Andy Davies game. If I recall right, he had Chesney and Miko playing as wide strikers off a central striker (Miller?). It worked really well and was not something regularly seen in the SPL at that point.

He'll always be my hero.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

That's harsh, I'll tell you what - we were a damn sight more enjoyable to go watch than we have been under most mangers since he left.... And certainly better than the present man in the hotseat who has about double the budget... I guarantee we wouldn't be playing with 3cdm at home to killie that's for sure.

Double the budget???....absolute horse manure....He's signed no players so far, and as we've just settled a 500k tax bill and are a month behind on wages. i think it's fair to say then that the likelihood of him having any budget to spend in January is zip

kingantti1874

Double the budget???....absolute horse manure....He's signed no players so far, and as we've just settled a 500k tax bill and are a month behind on wages. i think it's fair to say then that the likelihood of him having any budget to spend in January is zip

Take your point mike, but Robbo would get more of out that squad IMO

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Take your point mike, but Robbo would get more of out that squad IMO

He probably would at this juncture. Robbo's main asset would be as a motivator. I feel sorry for Sergio, as it must be nigh on impossible to gee on the team to any kind of performance right now.

This the same John Robertson who managed Livingston to the 1st Division Championship and then finished in 3rd place in the Scottish Premier

the following season - that's quality. McInnes & Coyle couldn't match Robbo's domestic record nor Levein.

Also the same Manager that won prmotion with yet another club - Inverness and then kept them up while playing "home" matches 100 miles away

at Aberdeen - strength in adversity.

Also went to Derry won a cup, played in Europe and saved them from relegation - all in 6 months - this the same man we're talking about on

this site?

Went to Hearts - started well and due to some confusion about whether the new board wanted a Manager or a Trainer was not appointed permanently

- and then the club appointed a Manager after all.

The most under-rated Manager in Scottish football and should climb higher than the SPL but felt some of the stuffing was knocked out of him

by Hearts - but he should be back as he has the talent.

This the same John Robertson who managed Livingston to the 1st Division Championship and then finished in 3rd place in the Scottish Premier

the following season - that's quality. McInnes & Coyle couldn't match Robbo's domestic record nor Levein.

Also the same Manager that won prmotion with yet another club - Inverness and then kept them up while playing "home" matches 100 miles away

at Aberdeen - strength in adversity.

Also went to Derry won a cup, played in Europe and saved them from relegation - all in 6 months - this the same man we're talking about on

this site?

Went to Hearts - started well and due to some confusion about whether the new board wanted a Manager or a Trainer was not appointed permanently

- and then the club appointed a Manager after all.

The most under-rated Manager in Scottish football and should climb higher than the SPL but felt some of the stuffing was knocked out of him

by Hearts - but he should be back as he has the talent.

quite a lot of that is wrong to be honest.

Care to enlighten us?

He didn't get Livvy promoted or finish 3rd in the league with them. Davie Hay was the manager who did that. Robbo took over as Livvy Manager after he'd been at Hearts and despite doing a decent job first season couldn't keep them up. was sacked after finishing midtable in the first division (although given the situation they were in financially, hardly surprising)

Did get Inverness promoted, but didn?t keep them up because he left to join us when they were bottom of the league. He might have done if he?d stayed but Brewster kept them up (more with his goals than any managerial ability it appears)

Was a permanent appointment at Hearts but after completing his takeover, Romanov offered him a role underneath manager which he turned down and was sacked.

I like him, and think the circumstances around his time at Hearts were really difficult.

Robbo's a legend at Hearts, and it would be a very brave man to come in as a manager and risk tarnishing that status, Robbo was man enough the 1st time and he would be brave enough & man enough to do it a second, HE IS AS HEARTS AS ANY OF US. :thumbsup:

Robbo is just hoping that he will get the next Manager's job once Sergio is sacked hence the nice comments.

He didn't get Livvy promoted or finish 3rd in the league with them. Davie Hay was the manager who did that. Robbo took over as Livvy Manager after he'd been at Hearts and despite doing a decent job first season couldn't keep them up. was sacked after finishing midtable in the first division (although given the situation they were in financially, hardly surprising)

Did get Inverness promoted, but didn?t keep them up because he left to join us when they were bottom of the league. He might have done if he?d stayed but Brewster kept them up (more with his goals than any managerial ability it appears)

Was a permanent appointment at Hearts but after completing his takeover, Romanov offered him a role underneath manager which he turned down and was sacked.

I like him, and think the circumstances around his time at Hearts were really difficult.

Yes. First spell at Livi was as 1st team coach and not manager so happy to stand corrected on that one.

2 semi's at Inverness, Bell's challenge cup winners and did play home matches at Aberdeen so considerable contribution at Inverness.

Romanov did not make clear the position on offer is what I was advised.

However, in saying this thanks for pointing out the Livi position because I was misled on the 1st item which has great significance.

Also, took Ross County to top of table in short time and identified many of their young players.

What I am looking at here is that Robbo appears to be able to identify young players, assemble a squad and motivate them and now that

he is older he will have more respect from older players - I think his work as a manager is incomplete but not sure if the SPL is where

his future lies.

Yes. First spell at Livi was as 1st team coach and not manager so happy to stand corrected on that one.

2 semi's at Inverness, Bell's challenge cup winners and did play home matches at Aberdeen so considerable contribution at Inverness.

Romanov did not make clear the position on offer is what I was advised.

However, in saying this thanks for pointing out the Livi position because I was misled on the 1st item which has great significance.

Also, took Ross County to top of table in short time and identified many of their young players.

What I am looking at here is that Robbo appears to be able to identify young players, assemble a squad and motivate them and now that

he is older he will have more respect from older players - I think his work as a manager is incomplete but not sure if the SPL is where

his future lies.

As far as I remember with Hearts, Romanov said that he liked Robbo and wanted him to stay, but working beside a more experienced manager. Robbo wanted to stay in sole charge.

That's personal recollection, so I may be wrong.

I think the uncertainty had a lot to do with his poor finish to his time at Hearts. After we beat Celtic in the league we were 5 points behind Hibs with them to play twice and a cup semi coming up. Then the speculation that Romanov was going to replace him started and we.had a terrible end to the season.

He was the only manager who got much out of Miko in my opiniin and in Burchill and Miller, we had a strike pairing that worked as a partnership. Would love to have seen what he could have achieved with the resources Burley got.

As far as I remember with Hearts, Romanov said that he liked Robbo and wanted him to stay, but working beside a more experienced manager. Robbo wanted to stay in sole charge.

That's personal recollection, so I may be wrong.

I think the uncertainty had a lot to do with his poor finish to his time at Hearts. After we beat Celtic in the league we were 5 points behind Hibs with them to play twice and a cup semi coming up. Then the speculation that Romanov was going to replace him started and we.had a terrible end to the season.

He was the only manager who got much out of Miko in my opiniin and in Burchill and Miller, we had a strike pairing that worked as a partnership. Would love to have seen what he could have achieved with the resources Burley got.

The game at Parkhead where Hearts won 2-0 with Miller and Burchill scoring (supporting your quote above) was dominated by Marius Kizys who should have been retained by Hearts. Agree that he was the only Manager to get something from Miko further supporting the case for Robbo as a motivational Manager. Perhaps he'll get a decent slot in the future.

Robbo's trouble as a manager for us was that he wanted to play in a different way from Levein but didn't have the players to do it. There was also the feeling he didn't have the temperament to handle the pressure of managing a much bigger club. I remember saying at the time he needed to form the squad he wanted, I thought he'd eventually be successful if he was allowed the time. It's worth remembering that Levein was allowed a couple of relatively poor seasons to get trim a bloated squad and create the best central defensive partnership in the SPL. I think if he'd been allowed more time, he'd have been a success at Leicester, the trouble is the modern game doesn't allow a manager any time to get it right.

Alex Ferguson would have been sacked long before he started winning trophies at Manchester United if he started there today. It's easy to look at a manager's record and decide he wasn't up to the job without taking the circumstances under consideration. Lest we forget, Robertson was only a few minutes away from taking us to the League Cup final in '05 (I will never forgive Jamie McAllister) and took as the semi final of the Scottish cup. We also had that outstanding result in Switzerland with Robbo as manager, so it wasn't all bad with him at the helm.

He just needed time he was never given.

Excellent post and sums up my feelings on the matter, although it's tainted by your mention of that snake McAllister :angry:

kingantti1874

Can anyone tell me what was bad about robbos time as boss... ? Cant remeber a horrendous run of results or performances... We scored a lot of goals, it was good fun!! And he's the best of all the legends IMO... I hope he gets the gig again but not until after vr has left or it will all end in tears again

Can anyone tell me what was bad about robbos time as boss... ? Cant remeber a horrendous run of results or performances... We scored a lot of goals, it was good fun!! And he's the best of all the legends IMO... I hope he gets the gig again but not until after vr has left or it will all end in tears again

We had a shocking run in. Lost 6 and drew 2 of the last 8. Mitigating circumstances for that imo, but it kind of lost him a lot of support for being retained, especially as Hibs finished 3rd.

kingantti1874

We had a shocking run in. Lost 6 and drew 2 of the last 8. Mitigating circumstances for that imo, but it kind of lost him a lot of support for being retained, especially as Hibs finished 3rd.

Must have blanked that from my memory - still not as bad as last seasons run in

Archived