When did "Punk" stop being Punk?

Cigaro

This often comes up in music threads, but seeing as I was born in '87 I missed it all.

When in your opinion did "punk" stop being punk?

I know theres a few posters (Nelly) who are very passionate when it comes to stuff not being punk, so I'm wondering when people feel it went wrong?

Are there any bands out there just now (who may or may not be "mainstream") who you would consider punk?

DemonCleaner

There will always be a 'punk' band somewhere maybe not the sterotypical sort but those still living by the ethics of the punk.

it went wrong when it went popular i think cause there would always be someone there with an eye to make a quick buck with whatever is popular at the time

Fugazi, would they count even though they've not released anything for a good 7 years?

"Punk" as a socio-political movement only actually existed for a very short period, from summer 1977 until late 1978.

Everything else since then has been imitation.

A copy of a soundtrack to protest at desperate living conditions.

"Punk" as a socio-political movement only actually existed for a very short period, from summer 1977 until late 1978.

Everything else since then has been imitation.

A copy of a soundtrack to protest at desperate living conditions.

there is quite a big punk scene in edinburgh at the moment. well by 'big' I actually mean 'mini revival' noticed a good few mohawks, tartan trousers and doc martins recently. All just imitation of what it once was though.

Reckon "punk" started in this country when Malcolm McLaren opened "Sex" in London around 1975 and ended in 1978, when the Pistols broke up.

Since '78 post-punk "hardcore" and "Oi" took off but with different styles and values that the original US and UK punk scene.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

As soon as Malcolm McLaren got involved

John Findlay

Punk is like the Big Issue.

It stopped being what it was when they realised lots of money could be made from it. Which was about three months after it came to prominence.

Black bin liners today. So environmentally un-friendly. ;)

John

I was 16 in 77 and remember it well.

I enjoyed a lot of the music, but was never behind the anarchist message of the music. It crashed and burnt as an anarchist movement in 78, when a lot of the bands became more main stream.

But a lot of my friends from school were right into it and they kept it alive until the mid 80's with the Livi punks.

I can still remember watching punks rolling about the streets of Livingston with a bag of glue attached to their mouth.

maroonlegions

punk came about as a 2 fingers to the system, the music industry and the media got scared because for the first time bands were singing about a lot of stuff that usually was swept under the carpet by MPs and the media to me punk was a statement and mouth piece to the revolt of the unjustness's of society , you had the the so called hard core punks who mainly liked CRASS and anarchist bands , Conflict, flux of pink Indians ,these bands were found to be involved in anti- vivisection, vagan life styles and anti -politics , their songs were well thought out and they put a lot of effort and belief into their gigs and way of life, then we had the punks that just concentrated on their looks and liked bands like The Exploited , get into fights and care more about the colour of their hair.

Commander Harris
As soon as Malcolm McLaren got involved

you may well be right, it could be argued that the sex pistols were just one big advert for his shop.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

But a lot of my friends from school were right into it and they kept it alive until the mid 80's with the Livi punks.

I can still remember watching punks rolling about the streets of Livingston with a bag of glue attached to their mouth.

I grew up in West Lothian in the 80's and remember the Livi Punks well

You were supposed to be scared of them cos theyre were all mental

I still see one of them about a small village in west Lothian, cross dresser now, too many drugs/substances in his youth fried his brain I reckon

Nelly Terraces

Have to be quick as I'm toiling over a bloody essay for my sociology degree and haven't time to post fully (will do later), but can I say these 2 books and dvd's are excellent pieces on the '2nd wave' of punk that came after the initial 1977 explosion.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/books/burningbritain.php

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/dvd/product.php?display=variouspunk

and

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/books/daycountrydied.php

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Country-Died-Various/dp/B000IY0BOS

Cheers. Punx not dead.

Have to be quick as I'm toiling over a bloody essay for my sociology degree and haven't time to post fully (will do later), but can I say these 2 books and dvd's are excellent pieces on the '2nd wave' of punk that came after the initial 1977 explosion.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/books/burningbritain.php

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/dvd/product.php?display=variouspunk

and

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/books/daycountrydied.php

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Country-Died-Various/dp/B000IY0BOS

Cheers. Punx not dead.

Died the day Green Day formed.;)

dodethejambo
Died the day Green Day formed.;)

Dont class Green Gay as punk :evilno:

The Horrors came close, but like all modern day copyists they'll never repeat the original ethos - because there's nothing really to get angry about or protest against these days.

Back in the late 70s youth culture was driven into revolting against the system - Thatcher / the government / unemployment / the police etc - which was dead easy to protest, demonstrate and write songs about.

But now there's none of that, everybody's gone green, turned politically correct, have big telly's, MP3 players and don't live in squats...

And until that changes, you won't get another Punk revolution!

Denny Crane
When 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' was sold to a Levi's advert?

Which the Clash disassociated themselves from. It was CBS' decision to do that -probably as revenge for the Clash telling everyone not to buy their single "Remote Control" when they wanted something else released instead.

The Horrors came close, but like all modern day copyists they'll never repeat the original ethos - because there's nothing really to get angry about or protest against these days.

Back in the late 70s youth culture was driven into revolting against the system - Thatcher / the government / unemployment / the police etc - which was dead easy to protest, demonstrate and write songs about.

But now there's none of that, everybody's gone green, turned politically correct, have big telly's, MP3 players and don't live in squats...

And until that changes, you won't get another Punk revolution!

When punk was at its peak in 1977, labour were in power.

Mrs T was not Prime Minister it was Jim Callaghan.

Unemployment wasent high. I left school in 78 at 16 and walked straight into a job, as did my friends. The labour goverment however was in disary, with power strikes, fireman strikes, miners strikes and rampant inflation.

Punk music was still a message to revolt against the system, but the system has won and we are back to where we were with plastic music back in the charts.

Terrible Trio
Black bin liners today. So environmentally un-friendly. ;)

John

I used to make a fine pair of troosers for the punk night at Merky using black bin liners and safety pins

Human Punk by John King is a good read, basically saying what people who lived through it knew already. The guys with the huge mohicans etc never really were the scene. They were a fashion movement in London. In the provinces people dressed like The Clash or The Undertones etc.

Which the Clash disassociated themselves from. It was CBS' decision to do that -probably as revenge for the Clash telling everyone not to buy their single "Remote Control" when they wanted something else released instead.

Doesn't really matter. Punk and mainstream adverts were something that weren't meant to be mixed. Glad The Clash were smart enough to see that.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

The Clash were a bunch of middle class art students

Mick Jones used to be in a glam rock band

Miners were on strike 73 Heath went to the country asking who was in charge, the govt. or the miners .He lost!

deesidejambo

Punk died when bands like Blondie and "Plastic Bertrand" started calling themselves "Punks".

While I'm on - I had a punk mate called Smeggy who drank in the (now long gone) Leamington Hotel in the early 80s. Because he had ripped off the pockets from his trousers he had to keep his money in his y-fronts. Made it interesting when he had to pay for a round. He's probably an accountant now but if anyone knows what happened to him please post.

PsychocAndy

Punk stopped being Punk when the Clash signed for CBS. I thought the Clash were great btw, but when the "majors" got involved that was the beginning of the end.

The ethos of punk is still out there in different forms of music, but the blokes with the Mohawks and bondage trousers, I wore a pair of yellow tartan ones to my 4th year disco in 1980, are just sheep , following a trend rather than starting one.

The Jesus and Marychain, Massive Attack and The Fall were never "Punk Bands" but they had the Punk ethos up to there titties.

Bands that are now calling themselves Punk are more like tribute bands to an era of punk rather than punk bands.

Also for every Sex Pistols there were 500 Jilted Johns.

Punk stopped being Punk when the Clash signed for CBS. I thought the Clash were great btw, but when the "majors" got involved that was the beginning of the end.

The ethos of punk is still out there in different forms of music, but the blokes with the Mohawks and bondage trousers, I wore a pair of yellow tartan ones to my 4th year disco in 1980, are just sheep , following a trend rather than starting one.

The Jesus and Marychain, Massive Attack and The Fall were never "Punk Bands" but they had the Punk ethos up to there titties.

Bands that are now calling themselves Punk are more like tribute bands to an era of punk rather than punk bands.

Also for every Sex Pistols there were 500 Jilted Johns.

Come off it BigAndy, what's wrong with Jilted John?

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
I was 16 in 77 and remember it well.

I enjoyed a lot of the music, but was never behind the anarchist message of the music. It crashed and burnt as an anarchist movement in 78, when a lot of the bands became more main stream.

I was in Livi in those days but I was a Mod and the glue was strictly a "Punk" thing...

I do remember one particular bloke who would stagger around with a plastic see through bag on his puss. Jesus.

Punk died when that arsehole Malcolm McLaren burst on the scene and tried to convince the world he invented it and would use it to destroy the establishment. Total tosspot.

At the time I hated punks, greasers, squares, Teds, Long Hairs/hippies in fact everyone who was not Mod/Ska/Two-Tone-centric. The Jam, Lambrettas, Purple Hearts, the superb Secret Affair, Specials, The Beat, Bad Manners, The Selector - all absolutely brilliant.

I remember being in dread of the Livi Skins and their charming "kick to Kill" ethos, but it was a great time for Yoof. Tribalism, clothes, awaiting the next single/album. British culture. Not fecking baseball caps and steaming cups of coffee everywhere.

PS Why in a country that has a strong anti-American core is it that we slavishly follow their lead in culture. I refer to this explosion of coffee drinking. What is it that makes everyone walk around with these huge cups of steaming brown sh*t?

I'd rather have a nice cup of tea....

PsychocAndy

[

I'd rather have a nice cup of tea....

Well said the best drink in the world.

I thought the mod thing back then was a joke. I could never understand people that liked music their parents like, ok ma Da' likes Jimmy Shand and ma Ma' liked Del Shannon so I wouldn't.

Couldn't stand Paul Weller then and now tbh but loved the spirit of two tone

Is there any bands from the last 10 years that, sound punk and do so to a level of respectability to the older generation....whilst not capturing the spirit and original feeling of the punk movement. ie, just based on sound alone?

And, in your opinions are Blink-182, as gay/gayer than Green Day?

I like them, bearing in mind they have a lot more material than there 'hits' ....am I a gimp? (I await a shredding of my dignity from NT)

Cheers

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Blink 182, Green Gay etc etc fanbase is mostly made up of prepubescent white american kids.

Same could be said for most rap artists too

I would argue that pre pubescent white american kids only got into blink 182 though, after they were famous...your point, is true now thought.

Blink 182, Green Gay etc etc fanbase is mostly made up of prepubescent white american kids.

Same could be said for most rap artists too

The most important thing being though.Both are crap.

Archived