Well done Hearts, Keep the heads up

Back of the Bus

Back of the Bus

2 ridiculous pieces of defending aside, I thought we were the far better team today.

We ruled the first half without a shadow of doubt and before their goal (wee Temps should have taken Whittaker out like he did to Davis 10 minutes later) they were never in our half.

On another day, it could've been 3-0 to us, quite easily. We played with guts, often cut them open with slick moves and, one or 2 players aside, earned pass marks all round.

If we can play like that with a recognised striker in place, we'll be ripping teams a new one.

Onwards and upwards Jambos.

2 ridiculous pieces of defending aside, I thought we were the far better team today.

We ruled the first half without a shadow of doubt and before their goal (wee Temps should have taken Whittaker out like he did to Davis 10 minutes later) they were never in our half.

On another day, it could've been 3-0 to us, quite easily. We played with guts, often cut them open with slick moves and, one or 2 players aside, earned pass marks all round.

If we can play like that with a recognised striker in place, we'll be ripping teams a new one.

Often?

ROBBIECEE1874

Good post :thumbsup:

i can deffo see what paulos trying to do seen flashes of passing today but we need a striker deffo ... at home we should have two up front without a doubt, its furstrating we got sutton not even on the bench :mellow:

we made changes to late in the game, we shoulda went for it early second half ...

kilmarnock next lets make it happen

Totally agree, we outplayed them for most of the game, just lacked the cutting edge. If we can play like that most weeks will be ok.

MON THE HEARTS!!

Craig Herbertson

just lacked the final decisive pass but i agree i thought we played well and deserved something from the game.

We lacked a 4 and 1/2 million finisher.

Apart from that we maybe didn't get the breaks either way but that's football. It would have been good to win though :(

I thought we dominated the game too. Lack of a striker cost us. But we were totally on top throughout

In parts it was the best performance I've seen this season. Times in the second half when we were stroking the ball about with purpose rather than just back and forth along the defence. If Mrowiec had finished his chance that would have been one of the goals of the season, about 8 or 9 great passes to get to that position. Definitely lacking a goal scorer (Sutton deserving of a chance again??) but only a very negative person would fail to see positive signs today.

Onwards and upwards.

The op has a point. However whilst I agree that we were crying out for a Robbo today, our final ball into the box was terrible in that first half and easy for the Huns defence to clear most of the time. Defending for both goals was also ridiculously shit.

We were looking much better in the second half and just when it looked we would equalise we gave away a really pish second. There really is no point playing fantasticly well if you defend as shit as we did today as most SPL teams will beat you if you gift them two goals.

NextGenerationJambo

We were the better team but most certainly not play with 'guts'.

Probably right. :thumbsup:

I think 3 defensive midfielders playing was stupid. Big Adrian can seem to do no wrong in Sergios eyes. Taouill should have played in his place imo.

Very sensible OP.

We weren't at out best, but we've played much worse. It's all about how well we bounce back - starting next Saturday.

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Not often you dominate one of the OF like we did today. Roll on transfer window and let's see how the squad is freshened up. A goalscorer being the obvious signing.

Back of the Bus

We were the better team but most certainly not play with 'guts'.

So you're saying we lay down to them?

Like I said, had it not been for 2 horror show defensive blunders (but bear in mind we've only lost 5 goals in the last 9 league games) and a bit of quality in the final 3rd, we had a team at the top of the league on toast.

GUTTED we lost. But trying to eke something good out of the mud...........

In parts it was the best performance I've seen this season. Times in the second half when we were stroking the ball about with purpose rather than just back and forth along the defence. If Mrowiec had finished his chance that would have been one of the goals of the season, about 8 or 9 great passes to get to that position. Definitely lacking a goal scorer (Sutton deserving of a chance again??) but only a very negative person would fail to see positive signs today.

Onwards and upwards.

Only a happy clapper would be satisfied with a team which has 2 woeful Full Backs who's distribution is terrible, a Midfield with zero creativity (leaving aside Templetons runs), and a Midfielder playing up front without any support!

And a Manager who is using the Jim Jefferies book on how to forget about subs until its too late.......

Very positive indeed!

Can't believe we lost that one. Thought we were the better team throughout. Only difference was they took their 2 chances and we didnt. Rangers and Celtic are pretty average just now but the difference between them and everyone else is they take the chances they get.

Still loads of positives to take from the game but gutted we lost.

willie wallace

Only a happy clapper would be satisfied with a team which has 2 woeful Full Backs who's distribution is terrible, a Midfield with zero creativity (leaving aside Templetons runs), and a Midfielder playing up front without any support!

And a Manager who is using the Jim Jefferies book on how to forget about subs until its too late.......

Very positive indeed!

While i agree with the OP i also think most of what you say here is true.It just shows how much we need a playmaker in the middle of the park and a striker.Not easy to come by but what a difference it could make.Still feel we deserved something out of the game today.

Very positive indeed!

i nearly agree mate -Hamill and Grainger have been good this season but very average today, usual non creative midfield and aswell as Stevo has done, you are right NOT a striker......expect the happy clapper mob to be all over this.

Hearts played OK, they were very average, but again a defeat, seen it all too often

Back of the Bus

Very positive indeed!

I'm no happy clapper, when we're shite, I'm the first to shout it. And I'm well aware how bad the distribution can be....... Danny Grainger woeful?? He's gone off the boil a wee bit but "woeful" is harsh. Jamie is struggling though, I'll give you that.

Shots on target: Hearts 12, Rangers 4

Shots off target: Hearts 4, Rangers 3

Corners: Hearts 6, Rangers 3

.......... That would suggest something's getting through from midfield though right? It's no perfect, but we didn't get overrun as so often happens against the weeg.

I agree about the substitutions though. Adrian should have been hooked, and the subs should have come earlier.

All I'm saying is we've got plenty to take into the Killie game.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm away to get drunk

NextGenerationJambo

So you're saying we lay down to them?

Like I said, had it not been for 2 horror show defensive blunders (but bear in mind we've only lost 5 goals in the last 9 league games) and a bit of quality in the final 3rd, we had a team at the top of the league on toast.

GUTTED we lost. But trying to eke something good out of the mud...........

Of course we did!! as we do every time we play them.

whittiker was made to look like bloomin' messi the way he strolled 40 yards for the first goal.

when a hearts player received the ball in the midlle of the park he was surrounded by 2/3 rangers jerseys.

when a rangers player received the ball in the middle of the park there wasn't a maroon jersey within 10 yards of him.

although they did not threaten much apart from the goals are you honestly saying that we got stuck in? there was no fight and no desire!

im all for taking positives from the game but if you are trying to say that apart from the goals, we had them in our pockets well then i'm afraid your just in denial that the team is too poor to compete.

How some posters can`t see the positive side in todays performance is beyond me? Some Hearts fans are unbearable.

I hate losing but you have to give the team a bit slack if they`ve played fairly decent in a defeat....

I like to think we are heading in the right direction. If PS makes the right signings, if sanctioned, we are definitely going to progress even more, but it takes time.

When have we dominated a game like that against one of the OF? Ok, we still got beaten but we`ve had some right good chances and pretty much bossed the game. PS is still finding out who are the weak links, who are going to be beneficial and what he needs to do to refine us.

Hearts just can`t win. If they`d been utter sheight today we`d be saying how we didn`t at least put up a fight.

Very positive indeed!

Only someone with completely unrealistic expectations could fail to take postives from today's performance, despite the defeat. Agree the full backs weren't at their best today but overall I thought the team played well and had far more of the pay than a team with amassive budegt compared to ours. If our midfield had no creativity then who created all the chances I saw today and how many games does Stevo have to play up frontg before we consider him a striker rather than a centre mid, where he may never play for Hearts again.

Very disappointing to lose but signs are clear that Sergio is moving the team in the right direction. I've seen many worse performances against both halves of the OF and think we are improving as the season goes on.

Only someone with completely unrealistic expectations could fail to take postives from today's performance, despite the defeat. Agree the full backs weren't at their best today but overall I thought the team played well and had far more of the pay than a team with amassive budegt compared to ours. If our midfield had no creativity then who created all the chances I saw today and how many games does Stevo have to play up frontg before we consider him a striker rather than a centre mid, where he may never play for Hearts again.

Very disappointing to lose but signs are clear that Sergio is moving the team in the right direction. I've seen many worse performances against both halves of the OF and think we are improving as the season goes on.

Ye`ll be here all night with that poster mate, better go and get yer tea now.

Of course we did!! as we do every time we play them. whittiker was made to look like bloomin' messi the way he strolled 40 yards for the first goal. when a hearts player received the ball in the midlle of the park he was surrounded by 2/3 rangers jerseys. when a rangers player received the ball in the middle of the park there wasn't a maroon jersey within 10 yards of him. although they did not threaten much apart from the goals are you honestly saying that we got stuck in? there was no fight and no desire! im all for taking positives from the game but if you are trying to say that apart from the goals, we had them in our pockets well then i'm afraid your just in denial that the team is too poor to compete.
Utterly bizarre post.

I'm no happy clapper, when we're shite, I'm the first to shout it. And I'm well aware how bad the distribution can be....... Danny Grainger woeful?? He's gone off the boil a wee bit but "woeful" is harsh. Jamie is struggling though, I'll give you that.

Shots on target: Hearts 12, Rangers 4

Shots off target: Hearts 4, Rangers 3

Corners: Hearts 6, Rangers 3

.......... That would suggest something's getting through from midfield though right? It's no perfect, but we didn't get overrun as so often happens against the weeg.

I agree about the substitutions though. Adrian should have been hooked, and the subs should have come earlier.

All I'm saying is we've got plenty to take into the Killie game.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm away to get drunk

Disagree with the performance opinion, but agree with the bit in bold!

I agree we started the game well, but if there is no end product then it counts for nothing!

I thought rangers closed us down much faster than we did them.

I agree we had chances, but until the midfield and Striker situation is resolved - we aint going forward!

How any manager can play adrian for 90 minutes beggars belief.

And I did think Grainger was woeful today, did any of his corners, free kicks cause any danger?

Next week will no doubt tell more.....

gorgie rd eh11

Of course we did!! as we do every time we play them.

whittiker was made to look like bloomin' messi the way he strolled 40 yards for the first goal.

when a hearts player received the ball in the midlle of the park he was surrounded by 2/3 rangers jerseys.

when a rangers player received the ball in the middle of the park there wasn't a maroon jersey within 10 yards of him.

although they did not threaten much apart from the goals are you honestly saying that we got stuck in? there was no fight and no desire!

im all for taking positives from the game but if you are trying to say that apart from the goals, we had them in our pockets well then i'm afraid your just in denial that the team is too poor to compete.

So we lay down to them when we drew at ibrox at the start of the season?

Utter sh*te.

Totally agree, we outplayed them for most of the game, just lacked the cutting edge. If we can play like that most weeks will be ok.

MON THE HEARTS!!

Agree, never been so positive about a defeat to be honest

Disagree with the performance opinion, but agree with the bit in bold!

I agree we started the game well, but if there is no end product then it counts for nothing!

I thought rangers closed us down much faster than we did them.

I agree we had chances, but until the midfield and Striker situation is resolved - we aint going forward!

How any manager can play adrian for 90 minutes beggars belief.

And I did think Grainger was woeful today, did any of his corners, free kicks cause any danger?

Next week will no doubt tell more.....

Very much This.

Debut4, we did start the game well, as i said previously they were very average.

Bottom line, another defeat

Hearts win today and we are tucked in nicely at the top end of the table.

Not having a dig at Sergio although we are still a bit negative especially at home.

Big chance today to make a wee statement but again not good enough, that is the bottom line unfortunately

I thought it was a pretty good performance, with a but lacking in composure in the final 3rd. Rangers were barely in the game but clinical in front of goal.

Watch this game and the win over Celtic back to back and the only difference is in the finishing, both for and against us. If anything we actually played better today in a lot of areas.

I fear our performance had quite a bit to do with how mediocre the Rangers are despite their league position. We must get a striker worth the name and play a few more forward thinking players, especially before going 2 down. Some plus points from today but only relative and in the context of losing 2-0 to rangers

NextGenerationJambo

So we lay down to them when we drew at ibrox at the start of the season?

Utter sh*te.

2nd half yes.

First 20 minutes i was pleased with how well we were pressuring and then they completely dominated midfield and apart from a short period in the second half when we looked like scoring, our main attacking option has hopeless lobbed balls to stevenson.

Very much This.

Debut4, we did start the game well, as i said previously they were very average.

Bottom line, another defeat

Hearts win today and we are tucked in nicely at the top end of the table.

Not having a dig at Sergio although we are still a bit negative especially at home.

Big chance today to make a wee statement but again not good enough, that is the bottom line unfortunately

Not good enough performance wise or not good enough chance taking? There is a difference. People forget we haven`t got finished articles in some players and some who are middle for diddle players. But isn`t that the SPL in general?

Some forget that and fail to take that into consideration...There were some frustrating moments when we had the ball where we gave it away needlessly, played world cup passes or failed to control simple balls but overall i don`t see how anyone could fail to see the endeavour of the players to try and play and create chances......

CJ....haven`t most genuine fans through the years lived by the phrase... "if they play well and get beat , fair enough"...... Im not saying accept defeat or still ignore the downsides to our game but it seems some fans haven`t stuck to their word....still feckin moan even when they didn`t play too bad....

Not good enough performance wise or not good enough chance taking? There is a difference. People forget we haven`t got finished articles in some players and some who are middle for diddle players. But isn`t that the SPL in general?

Some forget that and fail to take that into consideration...There were some frustrating moments when we had the ball where we gave it away needlessly, played world cup passes or failed to control simple balls but overall i don`t see how anyone could fail to see the endeavour of the players to try and play and create chances......

CJ....haven`t most genuine fans through the years lived by the phrase... "if they play well and get beat , fair enough"...... Im not saying accept defeat or still ignore the downsides to our game but it seems some fans haven`t stuck to their word....still feckin moan even when they didn`t play too bad....

i thought especially early doors we manouvered some great positions, can't remember us getting to the byeline so much.

But final delivery was awful.

Debut you know that lot were there for the taking, how many times have we said that, its feckin frustrating

maltese jambo

How some posters can`t see the positive side in todays performance is beyond me? Some Hearts fans are unbearable.

I hate losing but you have to give the team a bit slack if they`ve played fairly decent in a defeat....

I like to think we are heading in the right direction. If PS makes the right signings, if sanctioned, we are definitely going to progress even more, but it takes time.

When have we dominated a game like that against one of the OF? Ok, we still got beaten but we`ve had some right good chances and pretty much bossed the game. PS is still finding out who are the weak links, who are going to be beneficial and what he needs to do to refine us.

Hearts just can`t win. If they`d been utter sheight today we`d be saying how we didn`t at least put up a fight.

Mate we wouldn't have scored today if we were still playing now. Yes dominated the game but what do we have to show for it?

Mate we wouldn't have scored today if we were still playing now. Yes dominated the game but what do we have to show for it?

I know mate, just one of those days. But i think it`s unfair to attribute yer first line to our performance.

Maybe in a game we had possession but created absolutely nowt, but we missed a minimum of 3 gilt edged chances.....

Thought we were the better team by miles but as mentioned, wasteful delivery cost us badly. I'd drop Hammil for McGowan, Adrian for Mehdi,Rudi for Driver and Stevenson for a striker. Not because those players are mince, but I'm of the opinion that we have a competitive squad so why not use it? If you have a poor game, which I think those players did today, then let the others stake a claim for a place. If the replacements are poor next week, the others get back in. Seems simple to me.

Back of the Bus

We played 3 games, 2 of which were against the OF. We went out to win every game and came out with 6 points. Would anyone not have taken this 3 games ago? We play like we actually want the 9 points. That for me is the most pleasing aspect. Despite being far from the finished article.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'm going to go as far as to say I'm astonished we lost today. I honestly can't believe it. Rangers were there for the taking and as others have said, Mrowiec's miss was pivotal. Had that gone in I think we would have won.

Maybe we should pop out and spend ?4.5m we don't have on a new striker. :whistling:

Only a Supporter who had maroon tinted spectacles would think any thing else.

If you think we were the better team, which players do you feel out performed their rangers counterpart?

Stevo could play another 100 games up front, but he will never be a Striker. Strikers tend to instinctively know where the net is, not panic and hit the ball twice with an open goal, against the Goalie.

Strikers are born not made (quote John Robertson!)

glenn quagmire

We ruled the first half without a shadow of doubt and before their goal (wee Temps should have taken Whittaker out like he did to Davis 10 minutes later)

[/

If Temps had took out whittaker he would have took pelters for a needless booking. Watch it again honestly and tell me I'm wrong. The defenders who were facing him need to have a look at themselves (have you seen Websters challenge from behind the goal?).

I thought we edged it today in terms of performance. A couple of defensive blunders gifted them goals, and then some great goalkeeping from McGregor and a howler of a miss kept us out.

If we had 10 million to spend on forwards (Jelavic, Naismith and Lafferty), I'd have expected us to bag a couple fo goals too.

I thought we were quite disjointed, tbh.

Disappointing performance, and I'm getting rather sick of us not turning up against this mob.

I said to someone yesterday that we'll play worse than that in other games and come away with 3 points.

I also said yesterday, its the ability to play that bad and still come away with a 2-0 win away from home that ensures Rangers will stroll to the title this year, administrashun or not.

Pleasing performance - but we simply cant afford to be as slack as we were for the goals. And we really do need to be far more clinical up front too.

Thats the difference between the two teams. One doesnt make schoolboy errors and takes chances, the other squanders chances and leaks soft goals.

I thought we were quite disjointed, tbh.

Disappointing performance, and I'm getting rather sick of us not turning up against this mob.

wind up?

wind up?

No - it's an entirely legitimate point of view. I wouldn't go as far as Eck, but can certainly understand how the performance divided opinion. Under Sergio, I suspect it always will; and while there were positives to take out of yesterday, I must confess to being baffled by all the "we dominated them! They were lucky!" stuff on the forum immediately afterwards.

If you asked Rangers, I suspect they'll have ended up viewing it as a pretty routine away win - which given they'd have marked this fixture out as one of their most tricky, has to be disappointing.

Drewjambobusby

I said to someone yesterday that we'll play worse than that in other games and come away with 3 points.

I also said yesterday, its the ability to play that bad and still come away with a 2-0 win away from home that ensures Rangers will stroll to the title this year, administrashun or not.

Pleasing performance - but we simply cant afford to be as slack as we were for the goals. And we really do need to be far more clinical up front too.

Thats the difference between the two teams. One doesnt make schoolboy errors and takes chances, the other squanders chances and leaks soft goals.

For me this sums it up perfectly. We had 4 shots on Target the whole 90 minutes and didn`t score they had 2 and scored with 2. Stevenson is an above average player who is being asked, unfairly really, to play a lone striker role which he is not cut out for. I am convinced if Sutton or Kyle had been playing yesterday we would have scored at least 1. Schoolboy defending yesterday can be partly ignored because it is not the norm. It is creative midfield and an out and out striker we need, hopefully in January. We can weave all the pretty passing patterns we like but it is fruitless if, when we get to the 18 yard box it breaks down. And yesterday that`s what happened lots of times.

Thought fullbacks were poor and we resorted to long ball more in this game than i have seen for quite a while.

Archived