What's a normal wage in Australia?

Tazio

Lasted 4 months Perth then moved to Sydney. Doubled my wage.

Perth is a nice city but nothing to do, we where so bored. But we have friends who just moved out there a few months ago and stay in Fremantle and they love the place.

You love or you hate it, thats what I've found when speaking to people.

What's Bunbury like for cost of living and Bursd?

Cheapish compared to metro Perth but still expensive in comparison to the UK. A new link road has gone in which means it is only an hour and half or so from Perth.

Geelong in Victoria, mate. Mrs Imp's home town. ;)

G'day Imp, can I be the first local to congratulate you on your impending move to Geelong. My missus is also from Geelong and we moved here 4 years ago and have not looked back. Awesome place as you already know :D Mrs Imp being a local sheila and previous visits should help ease the transition for you. All the best for the move mate.

Getting back to the OP, even minimum wage is fairly liveable cos the standard of living is generally way better and when you factor in the better climate, culture and lifestyle you'll be quids in.

No worries mate

Chad Sexington

G'day Imp, can I be the first local to congratulate you on your impending move to Geelong. My missus is also from Geelong and we moved here 4 years ago and have not looked back. Awesome place as you already know :D Mrs Imp being a local sheila and previous visits should help ease the transition for you. All the best for the move mate.

Nice one, mate. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Chad Sexington

Mods, can we delete The Imps' smugfest thread now, think he's rubbed it in enoughdown.gif

:lol:

:verysmug: :greggy: :brucey::smugger:

John Gentleman

Just cannae' comprehend the comments about the OZ cost of living being higher than the UK/Scotland. I think folk just have to get their heids around the massive geographical/demographical differences between the two countries.

Every city in every State in OZ is different. Melbourne, for example, was recently voted the 'most liveable city in the world', usurping Vancouver. I lived in Melbourne for 12 years and it is indeed a very comfortable city. Trouble is, the population is now well over 3.5 million. That, in itself, will create infrastucture issues in the near future. They've managed to get their tram system right though!

I've lived in Adelaide since '89 and wouldn't swap it for any other city in OZ. Mediterranian climate, lower housing/rental costs, closely adjacent to the prime wine production regions in OZ (if you're into vino), low unemployment, stages Fringe and Official Arts festivals........I could go on. In fact, if it wasn't for huge climatic difference, you'd swear you were in Edinburgh! With a population of just over 1 million, it is the overlooked gem of all Australian cities - and I've been to them all.

Depends on what your individual wants/preferences/tastes are I suppose.

• 4 months later...
The Comedian

One for our Oz based Jambos.

I'm off for a interview for a job which includes relocation to Australia. I'm trying to gauge the cost of living.

I'm looking at a 2 hour commute by car to work and living in Esperance in the south-west of WA. I've found 4 bed digs with pool (:smuggy:) furnished for 450 dollars per week. The jobs pays 90k dollars per year. I'd be looking to support a partner and 2 year old bairn.

A similar job - Link

Digs - Link

I'm just trying to get my head around if we'll be okay when you consider all outgoings in Oz.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm based in Perth WA and earn a similar income, but I have no dependants. I houseshare in a posh suburb called Nedlands a house with a pool which costs me $300 per week.

It depends on how you are used to living mate, do you have a decent house/car etc in Scotland... I live well and there's no better place to live than here tbh. Others may be better placed to comment... but my gut feeling is that $90k would be too low to support a family of 3.

However, have you thought about going for FIFO work once you are settled?Maybe in a year or whatever? Workers on mine sites get paid collosal wages and they will retrain you. Thats what I'd be doing if I was in trades.

Money aside I really think you and your family would love the lifestyle in Australia. The swimming pools, barbequeues and beaches are all waiting for you mate :)

Things tend to cost a lot more in rural WA. Two hour commute is going to cost you in fuel as well.

Live in Metro Perth and it is just expensive. I agree that $90K may be a bit light on to support a family but will depend on whether work provides a car, what sort of life you want to live etc.

If you want more specific than that drop us a PM

Archived