Now is the time to make changes at Tynecastle by George Foulkes

Sherlock

Now is the time to make changes at Tynecastle By George Foulkes

DID you see Ronaldo's goal against Roma in the Olympic Stadium last Tuesday?

He moved like a gazelle to steer Manchester United's Champions League aspirations ever closer with as fine a headed goal as I've seen in years.

It was sensational, exciting. So too the Arsenal versus Liverpool tie which I think has plenty more to offer.

There is just something mesmerising about Europe as we Hearts fans know only too well.

Trips to Estonia, Spain, France, Portugal, the Netherlands and scores more are always a pleasure.

But one we are destined to miss out on now that, regardless of what happens between Aberdeen and Falkirk tonight, our hopes of a top-six place are at an end.

It is sad as a fan to know our season is over.

The only hope now is that the young players will be given a run out and a chance to claim a place in next season's first-team squad.

That at least would give us some kind of interest to keep us going until the final ball is kicked.

And maybe offer hope of better things to come.

But there is another far more serious consequence of our failure to win against Killie on Saturday. Financial.

By missing out on a top-six place Hearts have surrendered the rights to any major fixtures.

It means we will no longer have sell-out crowds for the likes of Celtic, Rangers and Hibs.

Which will leave the corporate hospitality suites bare, the programmes unsold, advertising low.

This market is worth tens of thousands of pounds to the club and at a time when debt is already at its highest ever, made worse by a costly mistake that it can ill afford.

I've said before that I will be renewing my season ticket, and I fully intend to do so regardless of what has happened.

But there will be those wondering if there is any point given the disappointment of this season.

Vladimir Romanov will need to know that what he does next will make up the minds of the majority.

He has to be aware that without the urgent appointment of a new manager, one of some note and with a proven track record, a large number of fans will be wary of coming back.

He has already hinted of changes on the playing front, but the fans will demand they are wholesale.

Those supporters I met at Kilmarnock were at one in agreeing the changes must begin now.

They already feel let down – by Vlad, the players, and their club. And I doubt they will stomach it for another season.

And why should they?

Hearts are better than this. We shouldn't be propping up the wrong end of the table with Gretna.

Worse than that, we are all aware that it won't take much to make it right again. Just some tlc from Vlad.

He promised to make us winners. And he still can.

I am only too well aware of my own part in bringing him to the club, which is why I feel this disappointment so keenly.

But I do believe still he can deliver if he has the will to do so and the stomach for the fight.

It is now we will discover what kind of man he really is, what kind of leader he can be.

Because the club is lacking in leaders right now with only a handful of exceptions.

What it is rich in, however, is people who want to make it work. Those in the stores, the ticket centres, the youth teams and all the other unsung heroes doing their bit. Most of all, those I regarded as the greatest football fans in Scotland.

How many other sets of supporters would have exercised this kind of patience in the face of disappointment?

Look at Celtic. Look at all they have achieved in recent years. And yet still their lily-livered fans bleat about failure and call for Gordon Strachan's head. Have they no thirst for a fight? They still have to play Rangers who, despite having games in hand, are also still in Europe and almost certain to slip up in their distraction.

Neither set of fans in the Old Firm know they have been born.

What do they know of struggle and disappointment, and I mean real disappointment?

Hearts supporters have endured it in spades, undeservedly so.

So let's put this season to bed and work towards better times ahead.

Old Firm wouldn't match England's big guns

I AM a Labour Party loyalist as some respondents to this column never seem to tire of reminding fellow readers, which is a good thing because it shows they share my passion of politics as well as for football.

And while their political colours differ from those of my own, I welcome the challenges to my opinions, which at least I offer under my own name. Because I have courage in my convictions.

And why I chose to have a difference of opinion with Gordon Brown last week, about the politics of football.

He welcomes the idea of the Old Firm joining the Barclays Premier League but I believe it would have dire consequences.

Smaller teams relying on TV and gate money would lose out, and other clubs may suffer in Europe depending how UEFA viewed the co-efficient.

So too Rangers and Celtic themselves.

Do we really believe they could readily achieve top-flight status in Europe against the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd? No.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I agree with the drunken Lord, with the exception of the gruesome twosome part.

Colonel Kurtz

I hope Lord Dode is enjoying better health.

He is right ,this is the time for tangible ,visible action.

We are at the satge where Chatlie Mann has no credibility...nobody believes him.

It is also the time for tangible ,visible action from the fans with minimum renewals of season tickets until until we get a new manager.

In response to his comments about the Labour party.

I believe you supported the Iraq war to achieve your seat in the house of Lords,unfortunately for you blood shows on ermine for life..... Tom Cowan.

ToadKiller Dog
ook at Celtic. Look at all they have achieved in recent years. And yet still their lily-livered fans bleat about failure and call for Gordon Strachan's head. Have they no thirst for a fight? They still have to play Rangers who, despite having games in hand, are also still in Europe and almost certain to slip up in their distraction.

He wont be popular with his labour party buddy Dr death john reid with that truthful comment about old firm fans.

Buffalo Bill

Good speech from Lord Foukes but I wonder if Romanov gets to read this stuff?

Buffalo Bill

colinmaroon

The Fulcrum upon which the future hinges is there in the middle:

"Vladimir Romanov will need to know that what he does next will make up the minds of the majority."

That must mean then, according to George, apart from the minority who have already made up their minds!!!

Archived