Ian Baird

Neon

This very much follows on a search I done on Alan Rae so please take note of the previous posters thread, ordering the book tomorrow.

I grew up with this team in the article which follows and due to either ignorance or puberty forgot how good we gave it to the old firm even in the early 90's.

Yes we were dire in parts under Joe Jordan and for most of Tommy McLean reign but for 15 games unbeaten and the fans on their backs after a defeat seems a strange one.I was a kid of 15 at the time and cannot recall the season.

here is the link. Baird

From what I do remember frim that time Scott Crabbe was my favorite player, broke my heart on his last day throwing his shirt into the crowd, My father never rated Ian Baird but I had time for him he always put his head in where it was needed.

This very much follows on a search I done on Alan Rae so please take note of the previous posters thread, ordering the book tomorrow.

I grew up with this team in the article which follows and due to either ignorance or puberty forgot how good we gave it to the old firm even in the early 90's.

Yes we were dire in parts under Joe Jordan and for most of Tommy McLean reign but for 15 games unbeaten and the fans on their backs after a defeat seems a strange one.I was a kid of 15 at the time and cannot recall the season.

here is the link. Baird

From what I do remember frim that time Scott Crabbe was my favorite player, broke my heart on his last day throwing his shirt into the crowd, My father never rated Ian Baird but I had time for him he always put his head in where it was needed.

My hero lol, the poor mans Sandy Clark he used to get plenty of head injuries.

Grumpy.

Hardly a legend, but I liked him.

I remember him playing in goals up at Aberdeen and getting pelters for not saving more laugh.gif

He was average at best, pretty much a disappointment as I recall. Legend? No chance, unless you are setting the bar very low.

Liked him too, but 'legend' is probably pushing it.

And I see the Hootsman's fact-checkers were as bad in 2009 as they've always been:

"September 1992: Scores against Slavia Prague at Tynecastle as Hearts suffer agonising away-goals exit."

Liked Yogi. Always remember him on his @rse and being mocket most games. IIRC, ?350,000. Bit much for goal ratio but he did give his best.

post-1785-0-93009100-1318467760_thumb.jpg

Baird was inspirational at times and deserved his place in the team. However we used to call him "strobeman" and "hexagon heid" for obvious reasons.

September 1992: Scores against Slavia Prague at Tynecastle as Hearts suffer agonising away-goals exit.

Very poor journalism here - we won 4-2 and proceeded to be knocked out by Athletico Madrid losing 3-0 afterbeating them 2-1 at tynie in the 1st leg. Those 2 home games were amazing!

Legend? I wouldn't have thought so.

[/quote

Never said he was a legend lol,all I said was that he was a poor mans Sandy Clark and that I liked him mainly for giving the team 100%

Grumpy. :thumbsup:

SectionDJambo

He was a more than decent player until he got an injury, to his Achilles I think. He was never the same player after that.

Not as effective as Sandy Clark, but very brave and a real nuisance to defenders.

His goalkeeping was the stuff of legends. Nicky Walker behind his goal telling him where to move to around his area.

3-0 down at half time , but nearly grabbed a draw by the end.

Legend? I wouldn't have thought so.

Never said he was a legend lol,all I said was that he was a poor mans Sandy Clark and that I liked him mainly for giving the team 100%

Grumpy. :thumbsup:

I was referring to the headline in the article mate.

I thought he was godawful myself. Especially for the money.

Very poor journalism here - we won 4-2 and proceeded to be knocked out by Athletico Madrid losing 3-0 afterbeating them 2-1 at tynie in the 1st leg. Those 2 home games were amazing!

Sorry Gibbster, not meaning to be pedantic but it was Standard Liege that knocked us out after the Slavia game.

Atletico Madrid was the following season.

Sorry Gibbster, not meaning to be pedantic but it was Standard Liege that knocked us out after the Slavia game.

Atletico Madrid was the following season.

Liege and Madrid! 2 Magical away trips....a whole other thread right there.

My brother styled his barnet like big Baird back in the day. Ridiculous look. I wasn't a fan of Baird but his style suited us at the time.

Baird split opinion but the guy was wholehearted and got stuck in. Didn`t take any shi te from defenders(bearing in mind it was different in those days) and he led, at least, by example in his determintation.

Scored against Hoboernian :smugger:

I remember the 4-0 game at Tynie against the sheep, snow storm about 15 mins before ko and Jess scoring from way out for their first with Henry wandering around the edge of his box probably trying to gather up enough snow to make a snowball, we were total gash that day <_< As for Baird, put the effort in which is more than can be said for some we've had, didn't make huge impression though, pity

Favourite Baird moment was when he was sent off at Love Street for cabbaging Campbell Money, but Money was so cabbaged he couldn't continue. And St Mirren had already used up their subs.

This game http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201251.html I think....

That's my recollection also. Must have had a head of granite

Liege and Madrid! 2 Magical away trips....a whole other thread right there.

My brother styled his barnet like big Baird back in the day. Ridiculous look. I wasn't a fan of Baird but his style suited us at the time.

Liege 92 IIRC, was my first away trip to europe without my old man as shaperone - A bus from Edinburgh to Belgium, was cattled by berwick !!!

Anyone remember Robbo's interview on the park, some Jambo got on the pitch and was stood arm round Robbo helping him answer the questions - priceless.

As for Baird - he did a job but was never a huge fan..... but filling Sandy Clarks boots was never easy and he had Robbo and Crabbe outshinning him most weeks.

Favourite Baird moment was when he was sent off at Love Street for cabbaging Campbell Money, but Money was so cabbaged he couldn't continue. And St Mirren had already used up their subs.

This game http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201251.html I think....

I attended a Hearts Burns Supper shortly after that game. Some of the team were present, including Baird.

When it came to encouraging those present to fork out for a raffle, some wag, (it may have been Robbo), suggested that Ian was in a position to be generous as "he had run into Money the previous Saturday".

Are we talking about the same player?The boy was total horseshit.Amazed he scored 19 goals.

Did he not punch Gary Mackay in training?

Archived