Are you Irish?

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

That is the question I hear at least once a day. I don't think I sound Irish. I might just start asking the Aussies if they are from New Zealand? How would that go down? The best one is 'what part of Ireland are you from?' my usual response is 'Scotland'.

Just the other week a manager at my work said 'Happy St Patricks Day Mike'. **** sake!!! And earlier today I had to spell our my name on the phone (fair enough) then met the response 'Is that an Irish name?' I said Yes it is but I am Scottish 'Oh what a funny mixture' was the response (and I am fully Scottish). An Australian calling me a funny mixture! Ha now that is funny!

Just had to get that off my chest.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I get that all the time as well - plus Australian! Either that or they ask me if i'm from England - which really gets on my thrupney bits.

It's also rather amusing the amount of people that ask me if i have seen braveheart. Yes i reply and it is historically inaccurate - William Wallace wasn't actually an anti-semitic aussie drunk!

Doctor FinnBarr

On the same sort of theme, I grew up thinking I had an Irish surname but could never find it in any of the Irish surnames books, then thanks to my nephew, (bloody student), It turned out to be a Manx name.:dribble:

That is the question I hear at least once a day.

When I'm abroad I get asked that a lot.

Still, can't be helped.

Legend Claws

Can't be helped but I never ask somebody what part of a country they are from etc, I always clairy where they are from i.e. Where are you from? Dead easy!

Legend Claws
I get that all the time as well - plus Australian! Either that or they ask me if i'm from England - which really gets on my thrupney bits.

It's also rather amusing the amount of people that ask me if i have seen braveheart. Yes i reply and it is historically inaccurate - William Wallace wasn't actually an anti-semitic aussie drunk!

Don't even get me started on the Americans. I was working over there as a footy coach and you had to stay with a different family every week. Some of the things I got asked were ridiculous but it really took the biscuit when one night the father of onefamily said 'Come here Coach Mike (they always called you coach) I have something to show you' he let me to his office and sat me down in front of his PC, opened up Internet Explorer and said 'This here son is the internet...'

I nearly ran to the airport and got the next plane home.

Others corkers included:

Do you live in huts like in Braveheart?

How often does Nessie eat somebody?

Do you know my friend? (insert name here) they live in the UK

So is Scotland like part of London?

Why do you guys were skirts? Do the girls only wear trousers?

Oh my god.

Craig Gordons Gloves
Don't even get me started on the Americans. I was working over there as a footy coach and you had to stay with a different family every week. Some of the things I got asked were ridiculous but it really took the biscuit when one night the father of onefamily said 'Come here Coach Mike (they always called you coach) I have something to show you' he let me to his office and sat me down in front of his PC, opened up Internet Explorer and said 'This here son is the internet...'

Others corkers included:

Do you know my friend? (insert name here) they live in the UKSo is Scotland like part of London?

Oh my god.

Brilliant! i hope you were suitably amazed....;)

I get similar - "oh, we once went to Stratford on Avon, you know the pub on x street?"

Although it usually isn't do you know my friend from london - it is more - ah, i'm 1/16th scottish..... i always like to ask them which part - feet, hands, ears?

jamboinglasgow

Think I have been fine so far in life despite having an Irish surname and an irish spelling of my first name.

However I have been called English by people first meeting me despite living in Edinburgh all my life till the last three years when I lived in Glasgow. My accent does not sound scottish but sounds a bit English (cant figure how my Dad is Northern Irish and my Mum is Scottish.)

I actullly want to go to America and get asked these stupid questions just see then happen. Though I am dumbstruck at Bruno's boot getting shown the internet. Did you tell him you know about the internet or just let him carry on so not to embaress him?

Doctor FinnBarr

Others corkers included:

Oh my god.

Been asked by a then girlfriends uncle "do you live in a shack". *****!:confused:

Legend Claws
Think I have been fine so far in life despite having an Irish surname and an irish spelling of my first name.

However I have been called English by people first meeting me despite living in Edinburgh all my life till the last three years when I lived in Glasgow. My accent does not sound scottish but sounds a bit English (cant figure how my Dad is Northern Irish and my Mum is Scottish.)

I actullly want to go to America and get asked these stupid questions just see then happen. Though I am dumbstruck at Bruno's boot getting shown the internet. Did you tell him you know about the internet or just let him carry on so not to embaress him?[/QUOTE]

I told him and proceeded to show him my myspace. He was shocked that we had the web and even more amazed that we had broadband. The guy was uber rich, god knows how.

Legend Claws
Brilliant! i hope you were suitably amazed....;)

I get similar - "oh, we once went to Stratford on Avon, you know the pub on x street?"

Although it usually isn't do you know my friend from london - it is more - ah, i'm 1/16th scottish..... i always like to ask them which part - feet, hands, ears?

Haha oh yes I was awe struck!

I got that all the time too, Yeah I am 1/32 Scottish! Really? Well I am sure the Scottish part is not the big dick hanging from your head.

That is the question I hear at least once a day. I don't think I sound Irish. I might just start asking the Aussies if they are from New Zealand? How would that go down? The best one is 'what part of Ireland are you from?' my usual response is 'Scotland'.

Just the other week a manager at my work said 'Happy St Patricks Day Mike'. **** sake!!! And earlier today I had to spell our my name on the phone (fair enough) then met the response 'Is that an Irish name?' I said Yes it is but I am Scottish 'Oh what a funny mixture' was the response (and I am fully Scottish). An Australian calling me a funny mixture! Ha now that is funny!

Get that a lot as well. To **** them off always refer to the UK as the mother land. Say they are crap drivers and people from the UK only come here because they get better jobs on account of your average Australian being dumb, refer to Aussie rules as the GayFL, maek sure they know that most of there so-called great Aussie bands are actually Scottish and not that great etc etc.

It always meets with the response "If you don't like it, bugger off" and they get really wound up by that sort of stuff. Good fun.

Legend Claws

They are a really over proud nation eh? Don't dare slag any part of their country/way life or they have a right strop. I keep telling them all that ACDC are pretty much a Scottish band and it winds them up no end!

King of the North

I think it was Peter Ustinov who, on visiting Australia, was asked 'Do you have a criminal record?'

'My dear boy' he replied 'I had no idea that was still compulsory'.

Back on topic, I work in London where you might imagine they are familiar with Scottish accents - yet I have been asked if i am Irish, Australian and even French(wtf?). I think a thick weegie accent is unmistakable - maybe our more subtle Edinburgh brogue is not as in your face.

I think it was Peter Ustinov who, on visiting Australia, was asked 'Do you have a criminal record?'

'My dear boy' he replied 'I had no idea that was still compulsory'.

That is brilliant.

Was in Florida in March and after a one night stand the girl wanted to know if we had texting in Scotland :cool_shades:

PresidentRomanov

I was in Australia at christmas, and someone asked me if I was Irish.

I asked him if I looked like a monobrowed, toothless simpleton :evilno:

I P Knightley

The response I give whenever possible is to ask what part of New Zealand they come from (if they're Australian); where in Canada they're from (if American) and so on.

Unless she's cute.

Aussies are too easy to wind up....

They have the classic island mentality, forgetting there are other people, races etc out side their mostly uninhabitable country.

Getting thrown out added to the banter.

Commander Harris

Others corkers included:

Oh my god.

while I don't like to generalise and would say I have met many intelligent and knowledgable americans there was one chap I was speaking to online the other day who asked me if it was "fall" here. When I told him it was spring he replied "right, so you guys are in the northern hemisphere too?" :)

Back on topic, I work in London where you might imagine they are familiar with Scottish accents - yet I have been asked if i am Irish, Australian and even French(wtf?). I think a thick weegie accent is unmistakable - maybe our more subtle Edinburgh brogue is not as in your face.

I find it amazing the number of people in London who don't know what a Scottish accent is!

I think I must have been asked if i was Irish as many times as I have if I'm Scottish. Have also been asked if I'm Dutch or Welsh (they both really confused me).

Are You???? Irish I mean??? What part of Ire....Never mind, Just bored at Work!!

Home Time... :o

The scruffy drunkard in a skirt is a much better look of course :smile:

Bindy Badgy

My usual response to that is "you're as Scottish as my dad"

"Which part of Scotland is he from?"

"Bristol"

Lived in Luxembourg for a year and a half a lot of the french thought I was Irish

I took my revenge on asking them which part of belguim where they from

French hate belgians and vice versa

One of the things I am most proud of - No I am not!!

A Boy Named Crow

I hadn't realised it, but the Scottish and Irish accents aren't actually all that different. I have been asked countless times sinse moving down south - once when asking for directions in London some boy was convinced I was from the same part of Antrim as him, took a while to convince him I wasn't!

I find the danger is averted when one affects an Italian accent in one's dailly life.

Ciao!

Get the Irish thing all the time. Some of them can't work it out and call you Irish even after they've been told your Scottish - that ****es me off. Mind you there was a time I couldn;t tell an Aussie from a Kiwi and there's a BIG difference once you get to know it.

In London I had more trouble being understood than I do in Aus. One day in the office I called a mate in the weedge, dropped into all the "ayes" and "kens", "dinnaes", "couldnaes" and "shouldnaes". Came off the phone after 10 mins and looked up to see the whole place staring at me.

Cockney numpty over from me pipes up with "Wow! we didn't know you could speak Gaelic!". He meant it!

Legend Claws
Are You???? Irish I mean??? What part of Ire....Never mind, Just bored at Work!!

Home Time... :o

Haha good one!

Legend Claws
Get the Irish thing all the time. Some of them can't work it out and call you Irish even after they've been told your Scottish - that ****es me off. Mind you there was a time I couldn;t tell an Aussie from a Kiwi and there's a BIG difference once you get to know it.

In London I had more trouble being understood than I do in Aus. One day in the office I called a mate in the weedge, dropped into all the "ayes" and "kens", "dinnaes", "couldnaes" and "shouldnaes". Came off the phone after 10 mins and looked up to see the whole place staring at me.

Cockney numpty over from me pipes up with "Wow! we didn't know you could speak Gaelic!". He meant it!

That is brilliant! What part of Melbourne do you live in?

Agree with the Aussie/Kiwi accent thing but now can recognise the difference!

Legend Claws

Just had my first one of the day, this loud mouth woman at my work just asked me where in Ireland I am from, so I said "I AM SCOTTISH" she said "Oh I though they were the same place!?!"

Could really put me off moving here perm.

i get called irish all the time, doesnt bother me so much though, rather that than be called english!!

bizarrely i have also been called french, german and russian since i have been in oz

ardwick1888
i get called irish all the time, doesnt bother me so much though, rather that than be called english!!

bizarrely i have also been called french, german and russian since i have been in oz[/quote Where is Lyse Douchet from, that girl off the BBC. no googling!;)

I've been called Irish buy a Dutch workmate. I started referring to him as Belgian and he soon stopped.

Also , with the Dutch again , met some Dutchies in France who refused to believe I was Scots. Turns out they had some Weegies on the site a few weeks before so they thought all Scots sounded like that (and , yes, they are incomprehensible to foreigners).

Going off at a tangent. My son was playing footie at a tournament in Holland a few weeks ago. The squad invested in a hideous pink shirt which would be awarded to the 'Twa a t of the Day' for any misdemeanour. One of his mates was talking to a 'Dutchman' in a bar and said after a bit 'I have to go , I'm having trouble coping with your Dutch accent'.

The 'Dutchman' went nuts ; he was actually a Scouser.

The lad had to wear the pink shirt for the whole week.

They are a really over proud nation eh? Don't dare slag any part of their country/way life or they have a right strop.

Are we still talking about Australia? ;)

Era Macaroons

He replied, pleased to meet you Paddy.

alwaysthereinspirit

Others corkers included:

Oh my god.

You've only met ignorant Americans then.

When I first moved over here in 1988 I was asked by a guy at work if we had tv's.

I told him our family didn't but an old lady down in the village (Edinburgh) did and every Sunday night the whole village went to her house to watch black and white silent movies. He believed it. My old boss was ****ing his pants behind him.

Some Americans, usually the not so well educated just have no clue on what is out there in the rest of the world. Sad.

alwaysthereinspirit

Funny joke.

Stupid guy meets a girl with an accent.

"thats a nice accent you have there, are you from Liverpool"

"no, Austria" she says

"oh cool, throw another shrimp on the barbie then Sheila"

Archived