L&B to investigate Sectarian Singing

Footballfirst

Agree with all except the bit in bold, people chanted that as a wind up.It wasn't sectarian or racist and winding up other fans is part of the matchday experience.They pretended that muppet was a hero to get a rise from the tinks nothing wrong with it.

Yes, of course, chants about JW are not "sectarian".

But they are stupid. You don't glorify someone who is a convicted football hooligan. You shouldn't condone people running onto the pitch and attacking (in one way or another) the opposition's manager. Yes, it was a wind-up, just completely misjudged. And I would imagine that there would be an overlap between those who would glorify that criminal and those who sing sectarian (or at least Rangers-inspired) songs. The whole lot brings shame on our club, albeit to a lesser degree than the pro-IRA singing, and young-people-jeering stuff we got on Sunday.

And I agree that winding up the opposition is part and parcel of the game. I loved the huddle stuff on Sunday and the "it's a conspiracy" chant. That's proper winding-up.

I'd also say that casual references to "tinks" seem to be getting past the mods to a worrying degree. Not clever.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, Cetic fans were singing 'Pat McCourts Fenian Army' on Sunday while he was warming up.

They can't hammer us for that, without doing likewise to them.

Also, see those claiming that the 'mini-hun' element are bringing the name of the club down, you're talking nonsense.

Do you think the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Falkirk or Dunfermline will start to like us if we stop singing Hello Hello?

Don't be ridiculous.

Notice no one is trying to publish a list of 'banned' songs

That is the trouble with this legislation -- there are no clear guidelines -- Government are scared to upset one side or the other by publishing a list of songs knowing that they will be scrutinised in detail and compared with non banned songs/ditties/'folk songs'.

They have bottled it and are hiding behind this legislation rather than coming out and being open and honest

If the words are changed to ... 'Celtic blood' is this ok ? -- if not then I expect arrests at Kilmarnock matches en masse.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I support the police in their aim to rid Scottish football of sectarianism... BUT Hearts pay the police a lot of money for their services on days like Sunday. Are they there purely to intervene on grounds of violence? I just wonder why they don't make arrests for sectarianism/terrorist songs at the game (when there are so many police) but wait until afterwards. If the police aren't willing to wade in when these criminal offences are being committed, why don't we cut back on police costs and pay for cctv which is actually useful instead? For the record, I am talking about Celtic and hearts (to a smaller extent) as well as rangers.

Prince Buaben

Iam sorry, but thats pish. How the hell can you say 100% that everyone who sung Hello Hello used the "Fenian blood" part? Never have I sung that part, and the same applied on Sunday. The way in which so many have now deemed this song unacceptable is sad, the same clowns have no problem singing "oh the hibbes are gay" or "lee wallace has a gun, he shoots hibbees." I always laugh when I hear the knicker twisters giving it the "bad boys were singing that song," patter. Have a look back at the semi final win over hibs a few years ago, the whole Hearts end belted it out, yet now, were to believe all Hearts fans have been educated on this particular song, its total pish.

I didnt say 100% of the Hearts fans sung it but it was sung by sections of the support on sunday.

fabienleclerq

Yes, of course, chants about JW are not "sectarian".

But they are stupid. You don't glorify someone who is a convicted football hooligan. You shouldn't condone people running onto the pitch and attacking (in one way or another) the opposition's manager. Yes, it was a wind-up, just completely misjudged. And I would imagine that there would be an overlap between those who would glorify that criminal and those who sing sectarian (or at least Rangers-inspired) songs. The whole lot brings shame on our club, albeit to a lesser degree than the pro-IRA singing, and young-people-jeering stuff we got on Sunday.

And I agree that winding up the opposition is part and parcel of the game. I loved the huddle stuff on Sunday and the "it's a conspiracy" chant. That's proper winding-up.

I'd also say that casual references to "tinks" seem to be getting past the mods to a worrying degree. Not clever.

So your just making assumptions that people are bigoted because they wore that mask.Not clever.

Did he get convicted of being a hooligan?

Nobody's condoning what he done they're having a laugh at the constantly offended ones.I wouldn't say it was misjudged either i and many others found it funny, maybe you like being offended.

And for me tinks means dirty scaffs, so nothing to do with sneaking past the mods but i appreciate your easly offended concern.

BBCchrismclaugChris McLaughlin

Lothian and Borders police confirm they have launched investigation into alleged sectarian singing at #Hearts v #Celtic.

I wonder whose songs they are investgating :whistling:

seems singing Oh Oh Oh its Magic you know ? :whistling: gets you in bother wi the Polis :woot:

Gods a Jambo

I didnt say 100% of the Hearts fans sung it but it was sung by sections of the support on sunday.

Did you count them all? I sit in section G and I honestly couldnt tell you that I heard one person sing it. Iam not suggesting for one moment someone didnt, but how many people (roughly) do you think you heard sing the fenian part, and from what section. Iam not being arsey, I am interested to know.

Rankeillor_hearts

Also, see those claiming that the 'mini-hun' element are bringing the name of the club down, you're talking nonsense.

Do you think the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Falkirk or Dunfermline will start to like us if we stop singing Hello Hello?

Don't be ridiculous.

Perhaps not in your eyes!

Prince Buaben

Did you count them all? I sit in section G and I honestly couldnt tell you that I heard one person sing it. Iam not suggesting for one moment someone didnt, but how many people (roughly) do you think you heard sing the fenian part, and from what section. Iam not being arsey, I am interested to know.

Of course i didnt count them all but i did hear people singing it in N.

Nelly Terraces

"We're up to our knees in chips and peas, surrender or you'll die!"

Has always been my preferred version. Doesn't half make you feel hungry if you sing it a lot though!:sweat:

Also sit in G and didn't hear this either.

Don't be ridiculous.

Who has ever suggested such a thing? :ermm:

Oh ah up the Ra was CLEARLY sung more than once.

There was a bloke 3 rows behind me to the left shouted that the hibees were gay officer im sure i heard it no i cant recall his face he had a hearts scarf on though does that help mr old bill :lol::lol:

The best song for any club to sing when hosting the uglies is " sing us a bigot song".

Sure to get their blood boiling, and better still if they do, they could be locked up.

Up to the Hearts support to stop singing the rubbish and let the uglies hang themselves.

Notice no one is trying to publish a list of 'banned' songs

That is the trouble with this legislation -- there are no clear guidelines -- Government are scared to upset one side or the other by publishing a list of songs knowing that they will be scrutinised in detail and compared with non banned songs/ditties/'folk songs'.

They have bottled it and are hiding behind this legislation rather than coming out and being open and honest

If the words are changed to ... 'Celtic blood' is this ok ? -- if not then I expect arrests at Kilmarnock matches en masse.

No one is going to publish a list of banned songs as it's the words or certain words that make the songs offensice. All someone would do is put words to a different song and because it's not on the banned list it would not be agaist the new legislation, so that's why there will never be a list.

No one's bottled it and I think credit should be given to the Scottish government for trying to stamp out Sectarianism in Scottish society after all racist comments are now not accepted and the same should be applied for sectarian comments.

No one's bottled it and I think credit should be given to the Scottish government for trying to stamp out Sectarianism in Scottish society after all racist comments are now not accepted and the same should be applied for sectarian comments.

Don't think anyone on this thread disagrees with trying to stamp out sectarianism, just with how it's being handled.

Why not try enforcing the existing laws?

No one is going to publish a list of banned songs as it's the words or certain words that make the songs offensice. All someone would do is put words to a different song and because it's not on the banned list it would not be agaist the new legislation, so that's why there will never be a list.

It would follow then that 'Hello Hello' is ok to sing as long as one word is changed -- in which case the persons listening are going to have some trouble in distinguishing that one word from another in an individual case.

Jambof3tornado

Heard a few mumbling fenian blood around us in lower E.

Although it was a minority,unlike the celtic masses who pretty much all sang in support of the IRA!

Craig Herbertson

Iam sorry, but thats pish. How the hell can you say 100% that everyone who sung Hello Hello used the "Fenian blood" part? Never have I sung that part, and the same applied on Sunday. The way in which so many have now deemed this song unacceptable is sad, the same clowns have no problem singing "oh the hibbes are gay" or "lee wallace has a gun, he shoots hibbees." I always laugh when I hear the knicker twisters giving it the "bad boys were singing that song," patter. Have a look back at the semi final win over hibs a few years ago, the whole Hearts end belted it out, yet now, were to believe all Hearts fans have been educated on this particular song, its total pish.

Shouting stuff like " you fenian *****" and other undeniable offensive terms, deserve to be treated with contempt and I have no doubt those incidents will be dealt with. The Hello hello song is a great song to sing as the sheer noise created during those first two lines is immense and really lets the opposition know were there, to suggest that you can actually hear what is being song towards the end is pish. Much in the same way the euro song is sung, half the folk mumble as soon as they have sung " we have no care for foreign players, like."

I accept some people will sing the fenian part, I personally dont, My old man is catholic and took me to all my games, even when I was young and niave, I never induldged in that, out of respect for my old man. My old man sung the song with me and always sung "hibby blood," and "gorgie boys" at the end, some will still try and find offense in that, but it was a subtle change and one that worked. Killie mange to sing the song and I have yet to hear of them being investigated. I heard no other song which could be determined as sectarian, yet people who love this kind of crap and develop a new found moral code, will go out of their way to jump on this politically driven nonsense.

The police have powers to deal with this kind of behaviour as it is.

I'm with you. My uncle was a Catholic Hearts fan and took me and my brothers along to games in the 60's and 70's when I was ten years old. My older brothers used to cringe at some of the songs that were sung but he just tried to enjoy the game. The first part of Hello, Hello is a belter for atmosphere. I wouldn't sing bits about Fenians for the same reasons. I have Irish friends, some protestant, some catholic, some atheists, some Hibs fans, some Celtic fans from Glasgow. There's no more fun than winding up the opposition with provocative songs - its part of football. Hating them because they have a different religion or whatever is just silly especially as fan bases are pretty mixed anyway.

They'll be banning the Haka at rugby matches soon because it frightens the other players.

The songs are not the problem, they're only a symptom of a deeper problem.

"Encouragement of terrorism (section 1): Prohibits the publishing of "a statement that is likely to be understood by some or all of the members of the public to whom it is published as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to them to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism or Convention offences." Indirect encouragement statements include every statement which glorifies the commission or preparation (whether in the past, in the future or generally) of such acts or offences; and is a statement from which those members of the public could reasonably be expected to infer that what is being glorified as conduct that should be emulated by them in existing circumstances.".[2] The maximum penalty is seven years' imprisonment."

Does that mean it has to be published?

Would singing it in an environment where it was guaranteed to be broadcast on TV not classify as being published?

I would be amazed if vocally voicing support for a terrorist organisation was not against the law. If it isn't then the Scottish Government need to address this issue as a matter of urgency.

If it's any of our fans then you can't said they weren't warned.**** me Rangers fans were just done a couple of weeks ago.

Now, Cetic fans were singing 'Pat McCourts Fenian Army' on Sunday while he was warming up.

If this is true, then I trust the police will identify the culprits and prosecute them!!!

It is sectarian isn't it?

Confused!!!

Perhaps not in your eyes!

Do you actually think it would make a difference?

Who has ever suggested such a thing? :ermm:

People suggesting it does earlier in the thread.

I sit in lower F & several people next to me went to the police officers at the entrance to F/G while the pro IRA songs were being sung. 1 was told that they can't do anything as they're not in the stand where the chanting was coming from even though they could clearly hear it! A couple points here, surely they would have a better view of who was singing (or what area) of the away end. They cannot communicate with their colleagues??? At the end of the game seen the officers in the concourse. Told them that the players done they're job for them & they're anti-sectarian unit wasn't worth the paper it's written on. They didn't look happy but couldn't arrest me for it.

kennyblack'sshot

While Celtic's fans should be hammered for all sorts of singing and fighting and generally being an unsavoury mob, I have no problem with everyone in the Hearts support who sings sectarian songs getting arrested one by one. We have a small minority of our support who does such things so it won't take long to weed them out. Then the authorities will HAVE to focus on the real problem - the OF.

I would be amazed if vocally voicing support for a terrorist organisation was not against the law. If it isn't then the Scottish Government need to address this issue as a matter of urgency.

This.

I dont know the ins and outs of whats is and isnt allowed regarding voicing support for a terrorist organisation - but - if a few Hearts fans are lifted for use of the F word, and nothing is done regarding the mass backing of a terrorist organisation, then there is something HUGELY wrong with this.

As I suggested in the thread about the arrests of Hibs fans, L&B Police are much more zealous in their attempts to enforce anti-sectarian laws than their Glasgow counterparts. I can guarantee there will be many more Hearts & Hibs fans arrested under such laws than those in Glasgow, where it all started and is still a way of life, even away from the football grounds. It is, after all, easier to arrest 10 people from a crowd of 10,000 than 50,000 from a crowd of 60,000.

Very true.

I watched the game on Sunday with five Celtic fans in a mate's flat. There was plenty sectarian singing and pro IRA chanting. I have to admit it got worse after our second goal went in and I got up on the table and sang hullo hullo. I left shortly after the final whistle giving them a rendition of the sash on the way out, just to rub their faces in it. I live in London, but if all this had happened in Scotland would I be liable to prosecution?

fabienleclerq

I watched the game on Sunday with five Celtic fans in a mate's flat. There was plenty sectarian singing and pro IRA chanting. I have to admit it got worse after our second goal went in and I got up on the table and sang hullo hullo. I left shortly after the final whistle giving them a rendition of the sash on the way out, just to rub their faces in it. I live in London, but if all this had happened in Scotland would I be liable to prosecution?

:lol::lol::lol:

I was reading something Graham Spiers wrote and he was saying that Fenian meant Catholic. That is absolute pish. I have never heard any call Italians or Spanish people Fenians.

I was reading something Graham Spiers wrote and he was saying that Fenian meant Catholic. That is absolute pish. I have never heard any call Italians or Spanish people Fenians.

I may be wide of the mark, but was it not an Irish fighter, or catholic Warrier from Ireland meant Fenian?

Gods a Jambo

I'm with you. My uncle was a Catholic Hearts fan and took me and my brothers along to games in the 60's and 70's when I was ten years old. My older brothers used to cringe at some of the songs that were sung but he just tried to enjoy the game. The first part of Hello, Hello is a belter for atmosphere. I wouldn't sing bits about Fenians for the same reasons. I have Irish friends, some protestant, some catholic, some atheists, some Hibs fans, some Celtic fans from Glasgow. There's no more fun than winding up the opposition with provocative songs - its part of football. Hating them because they have a different religion or whatever is just silly especially as fan bases are pretty mixed anyway.

They'll be banning the Haka at rugby matches soon because it frightens the other players.

The songs are not the problem, they're only a symptom of a deeper problem.

Good post and I couldnt agree more.

Jam Tarts 1874

I have to say I feel pretty sad about the amount of people on here defending sectarianism within our own support. Perhaps it's time for me to start supporting a different football team that does not require me to have to sit next to sectarian bigots.

Colonel Kurtz

I may be wide of the mark, but was it not an Irish fighter, or catholic Warrier from Ireland meant Fenian?

The word derives from an old Irish tribal warrior.

However The Fenian Brotherhood were an organisation mainly in England and America who belived that The British governments inaction during the Tattie famine was deliberate and an act of genocide.

The catholic church were violently opposed to the organisation,as they saw it as a dilution of their power and hold over uneducated Irish,the catholic church also opposed James Connelly and his followers who were old type socialists.

You have to put into context The Vaticans support for fascism at the time in Spain,Italy and Germany.

Some of the main figures of the fenian brotherhood in America came from protestant Irish stock.

A defence could therefore be the same as the Tims use ...the reference is political and not sectarian

Yes a mythical Irish warrior Fionn Mac Cumhail, sometimes known as Finn McCool. The Fenian brotherhood, a political organisation formed in America in the 19th Century to promote home rule in Ireland, were supposedly named after him. The members of the fenian brotherhood were known as fenians and they weren't all catholics. In fact the Irish home rule movement had many prominent protestant members throughout history, Wolfe Tone and James Connolly to name just two. Fianna Fail, a key Irish political party, were probably named in the same way. When it became a term of abuse in Scotland and Northern Ireland I don't know, but I really don't see how its use can be treated differently to Orange B****** by the courts.

Some people really do need to lighten up though. Get out a bit, travel a bit, meet some people from diffrent backgrounds and cultures and you may see things with fresh eyes.

mahgrassyshoes

Hello, Hello is a sectarian song - it glorifies the killing of catholics.

Like it or not, there is a bone of contention over the songs in the Celtic songbook.

Until the Celtic songs are properly outlawed and our supporters get it into their thick skulls not to sing Hello, Hello we will continue to be punished while the Celtic fans get away with it.

So your just making assumptions that people are bigoted because they wore that mask.Not clever.

I make assumptions all the time. So do we all. Life would be boring if we didn't.

1 There's people who sing "one John Wilson"

2 There's people who sing sectarian or Rangers-minded stuff (a wide spectrum from Fenian blood to Rule Britannia)

3 (My assumption) there is an overlap between the two groups. My guess is that most people who would do 2 would also do 1, and many who would do 1 would also do 2. These are just my assumptions.

Did he get convicted of being a hooligan?

Yes of course he did.

OK, it's Wikipedia but Hooliganism refers to unruly, destructive, aggressive and bullying behaviour.

If what he did is not "unruly" or "aggressive" I don't know what is. The name of the offence is Breach of the Peace, which covers a multitude of sins, including hooliganism.

Nobody's condoning what he done they're having a laugh at the constantly offended ones.

You really think that chanting "one John Wilson" is not condoning what he did?

Kickback rules include: do not encourage or condone criminal activity .

I'm not referring to you here, but there have been plenty of posts recently that appear to condone what John Wilson did.

I sit in lower F & several people next to me went to the police officers at the entrance to F/G while the pro IRA songs were being sung. 1 was told that they can't do anything as they're not in the stand where the chanting was coming from even though they could clearly hear it! A couple points here, surely they would have a better view of who was singing (or what area) of the away end. They cannot communicate with their colleagues???

We tried to raise the same point with a steward in Section T (upper), and ended in a heated arguement with her. She said should couldn't hear/understand what they were singing......bit confused considering she spoke with an Irish accent :unsure:

Guest Dipped Flake

I have to say I feel pretty sad about the amount of people on here defending sectarianism within our own support. Perhaps it's time for me to start supporting a different football team that does not require me to have to sit next to sectarian bigots.

there are maybe 2 or 3 posters on here who support sectarian songs being sung by Hearts fans; just ignore them. They are in the death throws and the vast majority of Hearts fans have moved on. l

Like it or not, there is a bone of contention over the songs in the Celtic songbook.

Until the Celtic songs are properly outlawed and our supporters get it into their thick skulls not to sing Hello, Hello we will continue to be punished while the Celtic fans get away with it.

Well it actually glorifies the killing of the fenian's who, as explained above, were both protestant and catholic. In this context however it probably does mean catholic. I think you'd be pushing it to say that glorifying the killing of orangeman or British politicians is a bone of contention. It should be outlawed and I'm surprised that you're defending it

I haven't a clue what the songs are that Celtic fans sing, with the exception of oh a up the ra, but on Monday I spoke to a staunch Celtic fan at work who told me the songs they were singing were "a disgrace!"

Guest Dipped Flake

I haven't a clue what the songs are that Celtic fans sing, with the exception of oh a up the ra, but on Monday I spoke to a staunch Celtic fan at work who told me the songs they were singing were "a disgrace!"

I think we forget that the majority of celtic fans are against the whole ira garbage that a large majority of their away fans sing. Problem is their club does absolutely nothing to try and stop this, they are too busy trying to prove that every non-catholic in Scotland is a bigot

Colonel Kurtz

You are wrong

The song was originally a glasgow gang song..which doeas glorify Billy Fullerton who was a thug and a facist..bodyguard for Mosley when he visited Glasgow

The fenian blood referred to was another gang called The Fenian Boys.,who used to have gang fights with The Billy Boys on Glasgow Green.

Colonel Kurtz

I think we forget that the majority of celtic fans are against the whole ira garbage that a large majority of their away fans sing. Problem is their club does absolutely nothing to try and stop this, they are too busy trying to prove that every non-catholic in Scotland is a bigot

You have to be aware of the internal politics behind the scenes at Parkhead and the nuances of Irish immigration to Scotland in relation to different Irish counties.

Also who has the final say..DD

You are wrong

The song was originally a glasgow gang song..which doeas glorify Billy Fullerton who was a thug and a facist..bodyguard for Mosley when he visited Glasgow

The fenian blood referred to was another gang called The Fenian Boys.,who used to have gang fights with The Billy Boys on Glasgow Green.

I am sure you are right. When I was at school a long time ago, one of the set poems for O grade was Edwin Morgan's King Billy, about Fullarton's funeral. It contains the immortal line "deplore what is to be deplored and then find out the rest". if you don't know it, it's well worth a read.

Do they still use that poem in schools today?

http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/profiles/billyordan4.htm

Among the things that are worth "finding out" is why on earth a rump of Hearts fans want to sing a song about a 1930's Glasgow gangster.

Oh, silly me, it's to wind up the Celtic fans, just like we sing the Fields of Athenry when Rangers visit.

You are wrong

Moseley's Facists in turn were supporters of Irish Nationalism and opposed partition. Mosely himself was of Anglo-Irish stock and left the tories because of the use of the Black 'n' Tans to put down rebellion in Ireland.

He'd probably get on well with Paul McBride

Archived