Extra Yard

fabienleclerq

fabienleclerq

Ive not had a chance to read or post anything about sunday's game so sorry if this has been touched on.

I think we looked a much fitter team than we have done the rest of the season so far, i know it was celtic at home

but i felt we just kept going.My hibby mate text me after 20 mins saying if we keep pressing them were gonna win (and bust his coupon!).

I understand they had ten men but ive seen the OF beat us and outrun us with ten men before.

Working wednesdays showing rewards already?

yabadabadoo1874again

Yes....jj's teams characterised by fitness issues whilst at Hearts so any extra training however unpopular with players is what was needed.... footballing skills follow on from that basic step...may be a wee bit harder to achieve... !!!

fabienleclerq

Yes....jj's teams characterised by fitness issues whilst at Hearts so any extra training however unpopular with players is what was needed.... footballing skills follow on from that basic step...may be a wee bit harder to achieve... !!!

The skills may be a bit harder to achieve, but they'll be easier the fitter they are and hopefully the decision making will be better too.

Ive not had a chance to read or post anything about sunday's game so sorry if this has been touched on.

I think we looked a much fitter team than we have done the rest of the season so far, i know it was celtic at home

but i felt we just kept going.My hibby mate text me after 20 mins saying if we keep pressing them were gonna win (and bust his coupon!).

I understand they had ten men but ive seen the OF beat us and outrun us with ten men before.

Working wednesdays showing rewards already?

I think that's a really good point.

For as long as I can remember the OF have always looked fitter than the rest, their ability to break quickly and keep up a high tempo throughout the 90 mins reaps rewards.

When they are matched for those levels it becomes a leveller.

I'd also add mental fitness to the physical. In games against the OF you need to be 100% focussed for the entire game to stand any chance of getting a result.

Mid Calder Jambo

I said it at the time that this extra training was being talked about. It would take 8 to 12 weeks to see an effect. Once we get to the turn of the year when the going gets tough this should certainly benefit us. As for the skill, can't help you there guys.

How many times in the past have Hearts been able to take an early lead against the OF only to run out of puff and be steamrollered in the latter stages? Also, how many times in teams against stubborn smaller teams have you thought that "we should be OK if we keep pressing" only for Hearts to run out of puff and either come away with a poor draw, or worse, get beaten.

A very fit team should be able to cruise into 3rd place year after year after year. Bulding on that when the OF are weak and you get the idea that we should be able to get a 2nd place finish every 3rd year or so.

That would be progress.

On the weekend I watched the worst Celtic team I have ever seen. Let's wait until Christmas before we herald the "all new, fit for purpose" Hearts.

It's easier to play with the ball than without which may be why OF teams appear fitter. SPL teams spend large chunks of games chasing the ball, which is bloomin hard work.

But then you look at the game against Spurs and it was night and day even physically. I guess that's down to two things: the way they train, live and treat their bodie; and their natural physiques which will be something that has set them apart in getting to that level of the game anyway (if Bale wasn't built in that way and couldn't run like that naturally, then he'd still be in 1st Div,for example).

As much as I like JJ and BB, I think a new, more modern approach in how we prepare our players physically and that includes away from Riccarton, in their home lives, is way overdue.

I would bet that if, say, Temps was called up to a Scotland squad, the likes of Bannan would be street ahead of him physically. And I don't mean that in the tired old "needs to bulk up" way. Hopefully we're getting there. I just hope Sergio is here long enough for us to reap any benefit!

gogsfaesydney

Give them a few month with a rugby leuge trainer, I reckon fitness level would raise by minimum 20%.dry.gif Watch NRL or AFL Grand Finals for fitnes levels :thumbsup:

fabienleclerq

I think that's a really good point.

For as long as I can remember the OF have always looked fitter than the rest, their ability to break quickly and keep up a high tempo throughout the 90 mins reaps rewards.

When they are matched for those levels it becomes a leveller.

I'd also add mental fitness to the physical. In games against the OF you need to be 100% focussed for the entire game to stand any chance of getting a result.

I agree with the mental fitness and think that the more physically fit our team is the easier the mental bit comes.

Archived