omg please let this be true

quincy adams wagstaff

Indeed not. :( I loved that era, though: think of the Danish or French sides from '86, or of Diego in his pomp, or of the awesome Dasayev, the Soviet 'keeper, or of Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard. Gullit especially was fantastic.

On Ireland: statistically, they'd gone through 1987 with the best record on the planet: including their own - and only ever - win over Brazil. Yet to the British media, they were leprechauns and hayseeds, who mighty England would beat 5-0. :rolleyes: So it was that, only weeks after Liverpool 0-1 Wimbledon, a similar shock began playing out: albeit at least that Liverpool side was something special to begin with, unlike England.

That was the era that I started to get in to football. Denmark in 86 were fantastic as well.

One of the biggest misses in football was the Yugoslavia side not taking part in Euro 92. That side was packed with quality players. With the learning experience that was Italia 90 for them, they were ready to really arrive on the scene.

shaun.lawson

That was the era that I started to get in to football. Denmark in 86 were fantastic as well.

One of the biggest misses in football was the Yugoslavia side not taking part in Euro 92. That side was packed with quality players. With the learning experience that was Italia 90 for them, they were ready to really arrive on the scene.

Even allowing for their notorious tendency, most recently demonstrated at Euro 2000, to play like Brazil one game, Alan Brazil the next, I've always believed Yugoslavia would've won Euro 92. One of the great footballing what ifs.

The Old Tolbooth

Speaking of Mohamed Bangura has anyone seen the first few lines of his Wiki page. :lol:

Mohamed Bangura (born 27 July 1989) is a professional rugby player from Sierra Leone who currently plays for Scottish Premier League club Celtic. His natural position is striker and he can be described as mince.[1]

:rofl:

jamboinglasgow

And still is, through the guise of his interpreter, of course.

You've nailed it about Euro 88, by the way. Just as they did us down to the most ludicrous degree before Italia 90, they did the exact opposite before Euro 88. Everyone got carried away by what had happened in Yugoslavia; no-one (apart from people who actually knew a thing or two about the sport) noticed England's form dropping alarmingly in the months leading up to the finals, as exhausted players started dropping like flies.

I watched England win 1-0 in a friendly in Switzerland, and concluded we had no chance in West Germany; then I watched the media criminally underrate the Dutch, and Grandstand cover Jack Charlton's Ireland in a disgracefully patronising, borderline racist way, and feared the worst. The press never forgave him for effectively making them look stupid - but to this day, it remains Bobby's immense good fortune that our final game of Euro 88, a shameful surrender to the USSR, wasn't televised live in Britain. Had it been, there's surely no way Millichip could've refused Robson's resignation: which good man that Bobby was, he nonetheless offered.

Dont forget the teenage neighbour he helped give a start in football coaching and now has won the treble with Porto, including a European trophy in his first full season of management, and now managing at Chelsea. Ronaldo (the original) speaks very highly of Bobby Robson, as he was his manager at Barcelona when Ronaldo scored 47 goals in a season.

I dont know if you listen to the football ramble Shaun, but if you dont they do a profile each week of a special person, team, competition or thing in football. The Bobby Robson one is one worth listening to as they try to convey how much he is a well respected figure not just in English football but world football:

http://www.thefootballramble.com/dwhof/entrant/sir-bobby-robson

I remember Arsenal were about to accept ?100,000 for a player when Celtic came in with a million pound offer.

I think Arsenal paid for the private jet to come up here.

Played about twice i think and was absolutely honking.

Can anyone remind me who this player was?

Serj Tankian

I remember Arsenal were about to accept ?100,000 for a player when Celtic came in with a million pound offer.

Martin Hayes good old billy mcbungle the man who got 2 teams relegated in one season in england.

Martin Hayes good old billy mcbungle the man who got 2 teams relegated in one season in england.

Thanks for that, i just googled him, he started 3 games for Celtic and 4 as sub, scoring no goals.

The fee was ?650,000 back when that was big money. ( dont know where i got 1 million from) Perhaps what it cost Celtic including signing on fee and wages.

Left on a free transfer i think.

Think he got Cort mixed up with Jason Euell.

Yea this is correct, sir bobby was notorious for mixing up players names

Yea this is correct, sir bobby was notorious for mixing up players names

Apparently this happened under Bobby Robson at Newcastle ...

___

Journalist: "So Shola, do you have a nickname at the club?"

Ameobi: "Not really no."

"What do the lads call you?"

"Shola."

"What does Bobby Robson call you?"

:thumbsup:

"Carl Cort."

Everton signed Per Kroldrup by mistake from Udinese.

Can you expand on this 1? interested to hear the reason?

rossthejambo

Ah, d'accord. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Fashanu is yet another example of that depressing rule: no player - Jimmy Bone excepted - shall play for Hearts and Norwich, and do well for both. Jeremy Goss? Crap for Hearts. Julien Brellier? Crap for Norwich. Darren Beckford? Crap for both. And as for Fash... well, the problem in his case was he'd been over-hyped to begin with; Brian Clough's atrocious attitude towards him did a lot of damage; and by the time he arrived at Tynie, he was mired in problems which would ultimately consume him. :(

How dare you Lawson :angry:

WeeToonJambo

Going back to the OP, interesting if true. I thought the boy looked good against Udinese and would have caused us problems on Sunday. He didn't and was, as described in Wiki, mince.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Walter Kidd was another mistake signing from Nitten Star if I remember correctly. I'm sure the scout was sent out to watch this promising player and we signed Zico instead. He ended up a great player and servant to the club as it turned out.

JJ followed up the Bobby Robson theme of mixing up players names, worked out rather well as we ended up with Colin Cameron instead of Stevie Crawford!

Walter Bishop

Remember Stuart Slater, did Celtic not pay way over the odds for him aswell???

Remember when Hearts tried to sign Provan and Celtic fobbed us off with John Colquhon?

Provan scored in the Scottish Cup Final, so suddenly Celtic decided selling him would hit season ticket sales, and as you say offered us JC instead.

Not only did we get a great player, and great servant to the Club in JC, but we didn't half dodge a bullet in not signing Provan, as I don't think he ever played again.

Archived