omg please let this be true

quincy adams wagstaff

quincy adams wagstaff

'Celtic signed the wrong Bangura... !!!! It's been leaked that Henrik Larsson had suggested AIK Stockholm striker Bangura to old club Celtic, however they mistakenly signed his twin brother Mohamed Bangura instead of his sibling Ibrahim "Teteh" Bangura, who signed for Bursaspor!!! from AIK Stockholm. :lol: :lol: :lol: how funny is that!!!!

Neilson's Shank

There was a story 20 years ago that we had signed the wrong Musemic.

Having seen him play I can believe this, still he scored Hibs so all is forgiven

There was a story 20 years ago that we had signed the wrong Musemic.

Having seen him play I can believe this, still he scored Hibs so all is forgiven

I believe this to be true also.

I might be wrong, but I am sure that has happened before in football.

Bobby Robson's times at Newcastle seen them supposedly sign the wring striker. Carl Cort springs to me - cant recall who it was that they were supposed to be wanting though.

Don't believe it myself that a PL club would sign the wrong player from a team that was playing in the top divisions in English football.

this thread, and the 'lennon summoned to urgent meeting' thread could feasibly be linked...

LET'S FECKIN WELL HOPE SO THEN.

Remember United signing a chap called Sergio from Brazil in the early 90's (on video evidence) - turned out to be the wrong player.

Don't think we signed the wrong Musemic, I think we signed the wrong player because of a language barrier and the fact we sent Borthwick over to seal the deal. Still, he scored a winner against Hibs, good lad!

Bobby Robson's times at Newcastle seen them supposedly sign the wring striker. Carl Cort springs to me - cant recall who it was that they were supposed to be wanting though.

Don't believe it myself that a PL club would sign the wrong player from a team that was playing in the top divisions in English football.

Think he got Cort mixed up with Jason Euell.

i think he was after jason euell

Tommy Wiseau

He wanted Jason Euell, the story goes, but was terrible with names so told the club to put in a ?7.5m bid for the black lad, England under-21, who plays for Wimbledon up front. Euell had been moved back to midfield at the time, though, and Carl Cort had been brought in to play up top. Wimbledon bit their hand off for the cash. :rofl:

I think it's fairly clear that Celtic have signed the wrong player. It was the guy's son they wanted, by the looks of things.

shaun.lawson

You're getting your wires crossed here a bit, Gig. Uncle Bobby wanted Cort and got Cort; it's just that, being the same Uncle Bobby who used to greet Bryan Robson at breakfast with the immortal line, "morning, Bobby!", he continually referred to Shola Ameobi as, er, "Carl Cort". :lol:

But hey - that's why we all loved him. :thumbsup:

He wanted Jason Euell, the story goes, but was terrible with names so told the club to put in a ?7.5m bid for the black lad, England under-21, who plays for Wimbledon up front. Euell had been moved back to midfield at the time, though, and Carl Cort had been brought in to play up top. Wimbledon bit their hand off for the cash. :rofl

I think it's fairly clear that Celtic have signed the wrong player. It was the guy's son they wanted, by the looks of things.

Bobby Bobby Bobby.

sad.gif

Tommy Wiseau

Bobby Bobby Bobby.

sad.gif

:lol:

TBF,it is the stuff of urban myth and almost certainly jobbies.

shaun.lawson

:lol:

TBF,it is the stuff of urban myth and almost certainly jobbies.

"We didn't underestimate them. They were better than we thought".

"The players have a job to do in Italy... in Spain... er, where are we again, Jim?"

Jim Rosenthal: "France, Bobby".

:wub:

Tommy Wiseau

Imagine if Bobby's wife hadn't kiboshed his move up here.

Mr Romanov and Mr Robson... :wub:

"We didn't underestimate them. They were better than we thought".

"The players have a job to do in Italy... in Spain... er, where are we again, Jim?"

Jim Rosenthal: "France, Bobby".

:wub:

biggrin.gif

Have read one of his books - it stops just at the time he leaves Barcelona. Bloody great read and a true football man/gentleman.

His Jig in Italia 90 when England scored (cant recall the game) shows a bit of a dance floor mover.

portobellojambo1

I might be wrong, but I am sure that has happened before in football.

It has, it happened to us. There were two Musemic brothers, one of them apparently a decent player, and the player we wanted. Somehow we came back from wherever it was, the former Yugoslavia I think, with his twin brother. Scored once for us, but apart from that wasn't up to much at all, and was actually a full back I believe we had gone for, all a bit fuzzy now (think they both played for one of the Belgrade clubs, possibly Red Star)

shaun.lawson

biggrin.gif

Have read one of his books - it stops just at the time he leaves Barcelona. Bloody great read and a true football man/gentleman.

His Jig in Italia 90 when England scored (cant recall the game) shows a bit of a dance floor mover.

Belgium. Pathetically, that night was as good as it's ever been for England since '66. :vrface:

As befitted a man who played for England back when the Busby Babes were in full flow, yet was still managing at top level almost half a century later, he wrote at least four autobiographies in all. 'An Englishman Abroad' is, you're correct, the best of them (and as an aside, Barcelona's treatment of him was disgraceful and absurd, and the dignity he showed over it all simply incredible); but I have a particularly soft spot for his 1990 World Cup Diary. Regarding which, weirdly given how well we did, there was hardly any interest when it was published at all.

Did Graeme souness not sign George weah's 'cousin' or 'brother' when he was Southampton boss without watching him play? I'm sure he came on as a sub (maybe against man u) and was very quickly taken off again and never to be seen again???!

shaun.lawson

Did Graeme souness not sign George weah's 'cousin' or 'brother' when he was Southampton boss without watching him play? I'm sure he came on as a sub (maybe against man u) and was very quickly taken off again and never to be seen again???!

See post 15. :thumbsup:

Belgium. Pathetically, that night was as good as it's ever been for England since '66. :vrface:

As befitted a man who played for England back when the Busby Babes were in full flow, yet was still managing at top level almost half a century later, he wrote at least four autobiographies in all. 'An Englishman Abroad' is, you're correct, the best of them (and as an aside, Barcelona's treatment of him was disgraceful and absurd, and the dignity he showed over it all simply incredible); but I have a particularly soft spot for his 1990 World Cup Diary. Regarding which, weirdly given how well we did, there was hardly any interest when it was published at all.

I might just go and buy that on Amazon, Shaun - cheers.

Its amazing that the English press slated him/the team, everything about what they were doing in Italy. 180 minutes of football later and they were all heroes!

Can never understand the English press. Something that Sven and Cappello have both commented about. How they are prepared to derail tournaments to sell newspapers.

Its amazing that the English press slated him/the team, everything about what they were doing in Italy. 180 minutes of football later and they were all heroes!

Can never understand the English press. Something that Sven and Cappello have both commented about. How they are prepared to derail tournaments to sell newspapers.

The vitriolic bile and sheer hatred aimed at Robson before and during the 1990 world cup by the English media remains disgusting to this day.

portobellojambo1

Speaking of Mohamed Bangura has anyone seen the first few lines of his Wiki page. :lol:

I'm guessing possibly a Rangers fan has gone in and edited that page, given he is described as a professional rugby player who is mince.

shaun.lawson

It suits them to do so. And the long wait for a trophy going on and on and on suits them too. :down:

England were the only side in the world to qualify for the 1990 World Cup having conceded a grand total of zero goals (having conceded just one, when already 4-0 up in Yugoslavia, in Euro 88 qualifying before that); had an unbeaten run of 17 games between the end of Euro 88 and shortly before the start of Italia 90 (ended by Uruguay :smuggy:); and in March, we beat Brazil, FFS. Robson, indeed, had a record of played three, won two, lost none v Brazil: to put that into perspective, we've only ever beaten them on one other occasion, way back in 1956.

Yet the press treated him like a criminal - and sent us off to the finals with the headline, "World Cup Wallies". Circulation wars were to blame, mate: the nastiest ever ones between The Sun and The Mirror. Going into the tournament, I had us sixth in the pecking order: so did Graeme Souness, as I recall. It was obvious to me that we had s strong, consistent side, and that Bobby was doing a very good job - and I was only 11 years old for gawd's sake.

In the aftermath of Turin, a whole bunch of journalists suddenly tried to re-create history, and pretend their disgusting treatment had somehow never occurred. But it did; and while it was wonderful that he exited The Impossible Job with bouquets, having routed his critics, the press played a huge part in forcing him out. Had they not, what might England have gone on to achieve?

We'll never know now. :( So close, so close, to the biggest prize of all. That night in Turin haunted Bobby for the rest of his life; and I seriously doubt England will ever see his like again.

'Celtic signed the wrong Bangura... !!!! It's been leaked that Henrik Larsson had suggested AIK Stockholm striker Bangura to old club Celtic, however they mistakenly signed his twin brother Mohamed Bangura instead of his sibling Ibrahim "Teteh" Bangura, who signed for Bursaspor!!! from AIK Stockholm. :lol: :lol: :lol: how funny is that!!!!

Amazing if true!!! :lol

I'm guessing possibly a Rangers fan has gone in and edited that page, given he is described as a professional rugby player who is mince.

"His natural position is striker and he can be described as mince."

:laugh:

shaun.lawson

The vitriolic bile and sheer hatred aimed at Robson before and during the 1990 world cup by the English media remains disgusting to this day.

The worst example of all was the day in May 1990 when they behaved, quite simply, like a pack of hooligans. Appallingly, Robson had effectively been told by Bert Millichip to win the World Cup, or quit; so he'd arranged a move to PSV after the tournament.

Everyone knew Beckenbauer was leaving the West German job after the World Cup; no problem. Everyone knew Brazil boss Lazaroni was leaving that job for Fiorentina after the World Cup too; no problem. But in Robson's case, at a hastily, ineptly organised press conference announcing his exit, the absolute scum of the earth tried to make him out to be a traitor who should be locked up in the Tower of London. The same group of hyenas who'd been campaigning vociferously for him to be sacked throughout the previous eight years! :angry:

James Lawton's considered take on things, for example? Robson would "come out of it all smelling of guilders". That's the same James Lawton who, if offered a better paid job, would take it without a moment's thought. Arsehole. :yucky:

Say What Again

The 'mince' part was me when I clicked on the link earlier. :P

It suits them to do so. And the long wait for a trophy going on and on and on suits them too. :down:

England were the only side in the world to qualify for the 1990 World Cup having conceded a grand total of zero goals (having conceded just one, when already 4-0 up in Yugoslavia, in Euro 88 qualifying before that); had an unbeaten run of 17 games between the end of Euro 88 and shortly before the start of Italia 90 (ended by Uruguay :smuggy:); and in March, we beat Brazil, FFS. Robson, indeed, had a record of played three, won two, lost none v Brazil: to put that into perspective, we've only ever beaten them on one other occasion, way back in 1956.

Yet the press treated him like a criminal - and sent us off to the finals with the headline, "World Cup Wallies". Circulation wars were to blame, mate: the nastiest ever ones between The Sun and The Mirror. Going into the tournament, I had us sixth in the pecking order: so did Graeme Souness, as I recall. It was obvious to me that we had s strong, consistent side, and that Bobby was doing a very good job - and I was only 11 years old for gawd's sake.

In the aftermath of Turin, a whole bunch of journalists suddenly tried to re-create history, and pretend their disgusting treatment had somehow never occurred. But it did; and while it was wonderful that he exited The Impossible Job with bouquets, having routed his critics, the press played a huge part in forcing him out. Had they not, what might England have gone on to achieve?

We'll never know now. :( So close, so close, to the biggest prize of all. That night in Turin haunted Bobby for the rest of his life; and I seriously doubt England will ever see his like again.

Never realised that England's form was so good going in to that World Cup. Do you think that the press never forgave him for Euro 88?

Two things that struck me on a doco that was on about him just before or after he passed away....

Gary Linekar meets up with him, within minutes he is saying to Linekar "We were so close, son - so close"

At the game in Newcastle to honour him (when Robson was in a wheelchair), Robson I think left before the full time whistle as he was not a well man. His first words to his son when his son gets home (this was being told to Gascoine, who quite rightly starts to cry) was "How did Gazza play?"

England's loss was very much European footballs gain, no doubt on that score.

shaun.lawson

Luther Blisset claims that he was signed by AC Milan by mistake.

Didn't they think they were getting John Barnes instead, or something? :lol:

But regardless, it's a good job he did join them. Because if they hadn't, we'd never have had the wonder that is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Blissett_(nom_de_plume)

shaun.lawson

Never realised that England's form was so good going in to that World Cup. Do you think that the press never forgave him for Euro 88?

Two things that struck me on a doco that was on about him just before or after he passed away....

Gary Linekar meets up with him, within minutes he is saying to Linekar "We were so close, son - so close"

At the game in Newcastle to honour him (when Robson was in a wheelchair), Robson I think left before the full time whistle as he was not a well man. His first words to his son when his son gets home (this was being told to Gascoine, who quite rightly starts to cry) was "How did Gazza play?"

England's loss was very much European footballs gain, no doubt on that score.

And still is, through the guise of his interpreter, of course.

You've nailed it about Euro 88, by the way. Just as they did us down to the most ludicrous degree before Italia 90, they did the exact opposite before Euro 88. Everyone got carried away by what had happened in Yugoslavia; no-one (apart from people who actually knew a thing or two about the sport) noticed England's form dropping alarmingly in the months leading up to the finals, as exhausted players started dropping like flies.

I watched England win 1-0 in a friendly in Switzerland, and concluded we had no chance in West Germany; then I watched the media criminally underrate the Dutch, and Grandstand cover Jack Charlton's Ireland in a disgracefully patronising, borderline racist way, and feared the worst. The press never forgave him for effectively making them look stupid - but to this day, it remains Bobby's immense good fortune that our final game of Euro 88, a shameful surrender to the USSR, wasn't televised live in Britain. Had it been, there's surely no way Millichip could've refused Robson's resignation: which good man that Bobby was, he nonetheless offered.

shaun.lawson

Justin Fashanu, wasn't it?

Doubt it, because Blissett and Barnes were both at Watford, of course.

And still is, through the guise of his interpreter, of course.

You've nailed it about Euro 88, by the way. Just as they did us down to the most ludicrous degree before Italia 90, they did the exact opposite before Euro 88. Everyone got carried away by what had happened in Yugoslavia; no-one (apart from people who actually knew a thing or two about the sport) noticed England's form dropping alarmingly in the months leading up to the finals, as exhausted players started dropping like flies.

I watched England win 1-0 in a friendly in Switzerland, and concluded we had no chance in West Germany; then I watched the media criminally underrate the Dutch, and Grandstand cover Jack Charlton's Ireland in a disgracefully patronising, borderline racist way, and feared the worst. The press never forgave him for effectively making them look stupid - but to this day, it remains Bobby's immense good fortune that our final game of Euro 88, a shameful surrender to the USSR, wasn't televised live in Britain. Had it been, there's surely no way Millichip could've refused Robson's resignation: which good man that Bobby was, he nonetheless offered.

That was some Holland + Russia side at the time. Holland would have half a dozen of that squad to go and be top players at top clubs. Russia still had the picking before the country started to spilt in to several nations.

Ireland would have been the easiest game on paper, but we all know what Jack Charlton went on to achieve in the next 6 years or so. Quite remarkable looking back at how much he managed to get out of the squad of players he did.

Ah well, Shaun - you can't go back.

biggrin.gif

Not mistaken identity but we played Mo Berthe because 'arry Redknapp told JJ he'd be a good player for us.

Harry was of course taking the piss.

Doubt it, because Blissett and Barnes were both at Watford, of course.

Who do you support Shaun?

Then think why I put forward Fashanu.

shaun.lawson

That was some Holland + Russia side at the time. Holland would have half a dozen of that squad to go and be top players at top clubs. Russia still had the picking before the country started to spilt in to several nations.

Ireland would have been the easiest game on paper, but we all know what Jack Charlton went on to achieve in the next 6 years or so. Quite remarkable looking back at how much he managed to get out of the squad of players he did.

Ah well, Shaun - you can't go back.

biggrin.gif

Indeed not. :( I loved that era, though: think of the Danish or French sides from '86, or of Diego in his pomp, or of the awesome Dasayev, the Soviet 'keeper, or of Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard. Gullit especially was fantastic.

On Ireland: statistically, they'd gone through 1987 with the best record on the planet: including their own - and only ever - win over Brazil. Yet to the British media, they were leprechauns and hayseeds, who mighty England would beat 5-0. :rolleyes: So it was that, only weeks after Liverpool 0-1 Wimbledon, a similar shock began playing out: albeit at least that Liverpool side was something special to begin with, unlike England.

shaun.lawson

Who do you support Shaun?

Then think why I put forward Fashanu.

Ah, d'accord. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Fashanu is yet another example of that depressing rule: no player - Jimmy Bone excepted - shall play for Hearts and Norwich, and do well for both. Jeremy Goss? Crap for Hearts. Julien Brellier? Crap for Norwich. Darren Beckford? Crap for both. And as for Fash... well, the problem in his case was he'd been over-hyped to begin with; Brian Clough's atrocious attitude towards him did a lot of damage; and by the time he arrived at Tynie, he was mired in problems which would ultimately consume him. :(

Archived