Jimmy Bone's a Jambo.

japanjambo

Jimmy Bone was the guest on Off The Ball yesterday, so I thought I'd email in and ask him his thoughts on his time at Hearts. Here's a link to his thoughts. Click the *Listen to the show live or on -demand* feature, then fast forward to 9:54, then listen for a few minutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/tv_and_radio/7133168.stm

Cheers

Lynn

That header against HIbs in the 3-2 game..

The 4-0 Semi Final apart, that rates as my all time fav game against the Lochend Brazil.

The wee Robbo contribution, and the NOISE from the corner of The Shed when Bone scored the winner, honestly, maybe my memory playing tricks, but I think that was the loudest I have ever heard at Tynie!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Did he not chin Davey Bowman in training as well for being a cheeky wee ****e?

My best memory of Jimmy Bone was away against Dumbarton on 3rd November 1984. It rained all the way through, rained during the whole game and rained all the way back after the game.

The pitch was a mud bath and was heavy going. Big Jimmy was struggling with the ground, but kept plugging away and missed a hatful of chances. The Hearts fans in the crowd of 2,706 let him know.

Eventually he managed to bundle the only goal of the game home to much sarcasm from the supporters.

I've always liked Jimmy Bone. He was a good honest pro. Along with Willie Johnston, Alex MacDonald, Sandy Jardine and Stewart McLaren, he gave this club it's pride back. Many folk scoffed when we signed these older players, and said it would never work. It worked a treat. The older, experienced players nurturing the youngsters along, and teaching them good habits. Jimmy also scored a few vital goals for us, especially the first season we came back up. I always remember an interview with him in a Hearts video(canny remember which one) and he said "it's the passion people feel for the club that gets to you"...and this is a man who'd had his fair share of clubs, including one of the OF.

How we could do with that lot of honest pro's at Tynie today!

Lynn:ninja:

I've always liked Jimmy Bone. He was a good honest pro. Along with Willie Johnston, Alex MacDonald, Sandy Jardine and Stewart McLaren, he gave this club it's pride back. Many folk scoffed when we signed these older players, and said it would never work. It worked a treat. The older, experienced players nurturing the youngsters along, and teaching them good habits. Jimmy also scored a few vital goals for us, especially the first season we came back up. I always remember an interview with him in a Hearts video(canny remember which one) and he said "it's the passion people feel for the club that gets to you"...and this is a man who'd had his fair share of clubs, including one of the OF.

How we could do with that lot of honest pro's at Tynie today!

It's a sad state of affairs when in the last month, when it has mattered the most, the only player to consistently show this sort of loyalty, desire and determination to fight for the reputation of this club has been a 24-year old Lithuanian who has been given every excuse to turn his back on the fans.

It's an even bigger indictment on the state of affairs that this certain player is actually quite crap :confused: But that's besides the point :)

Jimmy Bone was the guest on Off The Ball yesterday, so I thought I'd email in and ask him his thoughts on his time at Hearts. Here's a link to his thoughts. Click the *Listen to the show live or on -demand* feature, then fast forward to 9:54, then listen for a few minutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/tv_and_radio/7133168.stm

Cheers

Lynn

Hi Lynn - I listened from 8 to 16 minutes, never heard. They were then going on about Lennon, enough to make me switch off!

Hi Lynn - I listened from 8 to 16 minutes, never heard. They were then going on about Lennon, enough to make me switch off!

H2, there's a fast forward feature, so ye don't have to listen to guff about Neil Lennon! ;)

That header against HIbs in the 3-2 game.

Legend.

Brilliant...was only 11 at the time and my 1st derby:):)

Brilliant...was only 11 at the time and my 1st derby:):)

If I remember rightly there were only 2 or 3 thousand Hobos there.;)

Nelly Terraces
The 4-0 Semi Final apart, that rates as my all time fav game against the Lochend Brazil.

The wee Robbo contribution, and the NOISE from the corner of The Shed when Bone scored the winner, honestly, maybe my memory playing tricks, but I think that was the loudest I have ever heard at Tynie!

Ditto. Still get a tingle in my down belows thinking about it. The flying Bonemeister wi the winner. The place went ****g bananas!:P

Jimmy B - top man!

Ditto. Still get a tingle in my down belows thinking about it. The flying Bonemeister wi the winner. The place went ****g bananas!:P

Jimmy B - top man!

I started going on my own the 77/78 season. It was the first time I had seen us beat them at Tynecastle! We were all packed in like sardines in the school end. When that goal went in...it was such a bl**by glorious feeling! The same could probably be said about wee Robbo's second equaliser(was it the second or the first equaliser that he swivelled on the edge of the box and chipped a beauty over Rough into the top corner?). What a strike!

Walter Kidd

Vague recollections of Bone sorting out Hibs centre half that day with a "Bone" cruncher of a tackle.

Tyney was bonkers back then, unlike the library now.

Vague recollections of Bone sorting out Hibs centre half that day with a "Bone" cruncher of a tackle.

You're right WC, it was brilliant. I loved standing behind those goals at the school end.:ninja:

Nelly Terraces
You're right WC, it was brilliant. I loved standing behind those goals at the school end.:ninja:

It was total bedlam in the corner, ended up right at the front, from a starting point of about 2nd step fae the back when the winner went in. It was jam-packed that day. Cracking times, the place going off in a major style, even when there was small crowd in.

Lynn, wee Robbos chip was the 1st equaliser, the 2nd was the one he poked through hobo clown Roughs pins. Coming back from a goal behind twice then Jimmy B throwing his whole body behind the ball for that rocket of a header to win it.

Just beautiful really.:P

It was total bedlam in the corner, ended up right at the front, from a starting point of about 2nd step fae the back when the winner went in. It was jam-packed that day. Cracking times, the place going off in a major style, even when there was small crowd in.

Lynn, wee Robbos chip was the 1st equaliser, the 2nd was the one he poked through hobo clown Roughs pins. Coming back from a goal behind twice then Jimmy B throwing his whole body behind the ball for that rocket of a header to win it.

Aye what memories eh.

I can still see the look on ally brazil and alan roughs faces as robbos effort trundled agonisingly over the line just beyond the desparing lunge of brazil,who incidently was one ugly futher mucker.

Jimmy bone was great for the hearts,and as has been stated,would put todays shower to shame.

Jimmy McNulty

I was at the front, right behind the goal, and Bone rose -- almost in slow motion -- and as he made contact with the ball I knew it was in. It was almost surreal because I play that goal back in my mind and can remember almost every detail.

I also remember him lobbing Bonnar at Parkhead on one occasion - a cheeky wee chip with the outside of the foot over Bonnar's head (goal was given though he looked a mile offside IIRC)....

top class on Saturday Lynn, I was listening in the car and kept thinking to myself surely Sandy Jardine is worth a shout for the oldest team select. I was pleased when your email was read out and you summed up how I saw it. Jardine was a rolls royce and O recall how he helped nurture young Levein on.

As for Jimmy Bone, he was one of my first hero's when I started going to the games with my dad. Bone epitomised everything that was good about wee Doddie's teams, commitment, passion, never say die spirit. Unfortunately, not much of that spirit and leadership in the current crop.

Did he not chin Davey Bowman in training as well for being a cheeky wee ****e?

He sure did.

****ing sore it was too from what i heard.

Source---Davie Bowman.

More fun at a funeral than at tynie these days Walter.

The gorgie aggro of the early eighties is where it was at.

winston churchill

i heard his interview on saturday,he said he used to go to ibrox with his dad,but his mums family are all jambos and he has been a jambo since playing for the club.

his nephew(alex bone) who plays in the lower leagues is also hearts daft.

as a player, i loved jimmy the bone.tight shorts big tash and he always had a big sweat stane round the neck of his top.

I also remember him lobbing Bonnar at Parkhead on one occasion - a cheeky wee chip with the outside of the foot over Bonnar's head (goal was given though he looked a mile offside IIRC)....

Definately onside.

I read a profile on him quite a while ago, and while brought up in Fallon he was a Hearts fan growing up. Quite surprised when i read that myself but nice to know.;)

i heard his interview on saturday,he said he used to go to ibrox with his dad,but his mums family are all jambos and he has been a jambo since playing for the club.

his nephew(alex bone) who plays in the lower leagues is also hearts daft.

as a player, i loved jimmy the bone.tight shorts big tash and he always had a big sweat stane round the neck of his top.

I loved when he said " Hearts are my favourite team". I think Stuart and Tam were a bit shocked!:eek: Then he said his mum's side are all jambos, but his dad's are rangers fans. He went with his dad to see Rangers because " well yer mum doesn't take ye tae the football". Stuart then said " so you were half and half, but now have a strong Hearts leaning?" and Jimmy said " Aye I'm a Hearts man"(or words to that effect...he he...)

Guess The Crowd
I loved when he said " Hearts are my favourite team". I think Stuart and Tam were a bit shocked!:eek: Then he said his mum's side are all jambos, but his dad's are rangers fans. He went with his dad to see Rangers because " well yer mum doesn't take ye tae the football". Stuart then said " so you were half and half, but now have a strong Hearts leaning?" and Jimmy said " Aye I'm a Hearts man"(or words to that effect...he he...)

Yep, heard that Lynn, great guy.

Goal against Celtic brought back great memories too. I reckon it must have been circa October 83, as I remember remarking to my pal while leaving the ground that here we were getting a draw at Parkhead little over a year after failing to get out of the First Division. A 1-1 draw at Pittodrie on a Monday night later the same season is also remembered fondly.

Someone remarked recently that Doddie is only about 60, so JB must be about 59. Campbell Ogilvie could do worse than suggest that a role be found for someone of that ilk around the place - someone with a love of the club, who would get people smiling again....

Archived