Aberdeen finances (HNC)

heartsfc_fan

Aberdeen chief executive Duncan Fraser says only the support of chairman Stewart Milne is keeping the club out of administration as they lose ?60,000 at every home game, pushing their debt above ?12m. (Daily Record)

Now maths isn't my strong point, but they are losing well over ?1 Million a season playing at Pittodrie? :blink: How is the figure to high?

Aberdeen chief executive Duncan Fraser says only the support of chairman Stewart Milne is keeping the club out of administration as they lose ?60,000 at every home game, pushing their debt above ?12m. (Daily Record)

Now maths isn't my strong point, but they are losing well over ?1 Million a season playing at Pittodrie? :blink: How is the figure to high?

Because no one goes to matches anymore. They had just over 7,000 at their last league home match.

Still struggling to understand how moving to a new stadium will fix that particular problem.

So how is building a new ?35m stadium going to help them out.If they won't go to the football in the City Centre what makes them think they will go out of town to watch it.A nice shiny stand alone doesn't bring the punters in as has been seen at Hibs.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Because no one goes to matches anymore. They had just over 7,000 at their last league home match.

Still struggling to understand how moving to a new stadium will fix that particular problem.

They would have plenty of space to start a singing section though, I suppose... Maybe have a corteo and some other cringeworthy failures of events and then come up with a shite name like... oh I dunno?... section 69 or something to try and deflect from the fact that crowds would be around half of the actual capacity... There's probably a precedent somewhere that they could copy. :ninja:

They would have plenty of space to start a singing section though, I suppose... Maybe have a corteo and some other cringeworthy failures of events and then come up with a shite name like... oh I dunno?... section 69 or something to try and deflect from the fact that crowds would be around half of the actual capacity... There's probably a precedent somewhere that they could copy. :ninja:

:lol:

The worrying thing is that's not even close to being half full. Pretty sure Pittodrie's capacity is over 20,000 (or pretty dam close to it)

Their net debt was ?12.9M in June 2010 with a reported loss of ?1.9M. Gate receipts were ?2.7M and wages ?4.6M

I think that tells you why they are losing money.

The People's Chimp

The product being served up at Pittodrie has been dire for so long that no one goes to the games anymore. The fans don't relate to any of the players either, which shows the effect that a slew of poor loan signings can have on a club/its support.

It's shame to be honest because a decent aberdeen team would help spice this league up.

Aberdeen need an extra 3000 home fans just to break even, their 'support' doesn't seem to realise that by not going things will only get worse as Milne's finances are being swallowed up keeping them afloat rather than improving the playing squad (ableit he did pay for the NZ striker out of his own pocket).

As for Hearts I would think we turn a profit at home games which currently is just about covering the losses at away games!

Aberdeen went bust in March didn't they?

We were reliably informed by a former member who had his own swimming pool that this was the case.

:interesting:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I wonder what our loss per game is if you take out the equity swaps.

Have Hibs done any equity swaps? You'd be better fielding your question to the Tache. :thumbsup:

Their net debt was ?12.9M in June 2010 with a reported loss of ?1.9M. Gate receipts were ?2.7M and wages ?4.6M

I think that tells you why they are losing money.

There we go then.

What is their annual turnover out of interest?

I wonder what our loss per game is if you take out the equity swaps.

On a matchday revenue minus wage bill basis for 2009-10 the loss per game (on 22 games estimate (can't be bothered working out how many there actually were)) - Hearts lost c. ?240k per home game.

Obviously there are other revenues and other costs which affect the financial results. But it would make sense for a club like Hearts if the cash through the 'turnstyle' paid the players' wages.

They had success, and attendances were ok, but it shows you how many can be considered 'Glory Hunters..'

Shows you why there seems to be favouritism towards the OF, imagine their attendances if they were mid-bottom, Teams with the most amount of Glory hunting fags..

I'd be as happy as a pig in shit if they got relegated.

A points deduction for administration would be a Brucie bonus.

BIg fan of this outcome.

:D would absolutely make my day.

It's nice to see them back to their pre-Ferguson era nothingness.

Radioactive Mince

Thing is, Aberdeen's not a big city by any stretch and, even in their most successful 10-15 years, I don't even think they ever averaged more than 20,000 IIRC.

Hibs are historically - probably still are in latent terms - a much better supported club. Only when Aberdeen were attracting Central Belt glory hunters were they ever likely to consistently outnumber the Edinburgh & Leith clubs, crowds-wise.

I love to see them struggle. Hope they go down ahead of Hibs, to be honest. Have they not finished bottom twice in recent years & survived due to reconstruction, or is that Motherwell?

Aberdeen went bust in March didn't they?

We were reliably informed by a former member who had his own swimming pool that this was the case.

:interesting:

They did indeed. Typical Celtic bias from the BBC in this report, pretending that their old chums from the north-east are still alive.

This story is a complete fabrication from start to finish, because Codheid FC are no more. I read it on Kickback, so I know this is true. :thumbsup:

A pleasing thought

bruce460.jpg

Thing is, Aberdeen's not a big city by any stretch and, even in their most successful 10-15 years, I don't even think they ever averaged more than 20,000 IIRC.

Hibs are historically - probably still are in latent terms - a much better supported club. Only when Aberdeen were attracting Central Belt glory hunters were they ever likely to consistently outnumber the Edinburgh & Leith clubs, crowds-wise.

I love to see them struggle. Hope they go down ahead of Hibs, to be honest. Have they not finished bottom twice in recent years & survived due to reconstruction, or is that Motherwell?

Pretty sure they've been saved by reconstruction twice (including to form the Premier League in the 70s) and also once by winning the Play-offs, against Dunfermline (?). Fingers crossed this is their year! :D

My thought is why do Aberdeens finances deserve a thread of there own. It's very similar to most scottish clubs where they are running at a loss with dwindling attendences and falling revenues.

There financial support is actually very similar to ours in that operationally they are making a loss and relying on a rich benefactor to keep them afloat who if withdrew funding would suggest financial doom.

I doubt Aberdeen are in any more impending danger than we or most SPL clubs are.

Pretty sure they've been saved by reconstruction twice (including to form the Premier League in the 70s) and also once by winning the Play-offs, against Dunfermline (?). Fingers crossed this is their year! :D

They survived relegation because Falkirk (I think) didn't have an SPL standard ground so there was no relegation that year.

I feel that relegation would have far more serious consequences for the coddies than it would for the leith flairmeisters.

I almost want them to get relegated more than Hibs tbh, my reasoning is Aberdeen's relegation could well be the end of them as an SPL club.

:jjyay:

They survived relegation because Falkirk (I think) didn't have an SPL standard ground so there was no relegation that year.

ah yes, that rings a bell. B*****ds! :(:D

Guest Bilel Mohsni

My thought is why do Aberdeens finances deserve a thread of there own. It's very similar to most scottish clubs where they are running at a loss with dwindling attendences and falling revenues.

There financial support is actually very similar to ours in that operationally they are making a loss and relying on a rich benefactor to keep them afloat who if withdrew funding would suggest financial doom.

I doubt Aberdeen are in any more impending danger than we or most SPL clubs are.

Because it is a current story in today's media perhaps? If our debt was being discussed in the media today then that would have it's own thread too.

Fact is people on football forums discuss football stories from the day's press. Glad I was able to explain "why" for you mate. :thumbsup:

Victor Meldrew

On balance, I think I'd prefer Aberdeen to get relegated. My reasoning is that we've seen Hibs go down in recent memory, and no-one but the most mental hobo would suggest that they are in any way our equals.

However, Aberdeen fans still somehow think it's 1984 and that they are one of the best teams in Scotland. When they finish in the bottom six, Dons fans seem to believe that it is some sort of 'blip' and that they should be up the top challenging. Relegation would put that to bed once and for all.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

The success of Aberdeen, and to a lesser extent, Dundee Utd, created an alternative for glory hunting fans to the OF. United have probably survived a bit better, fan base wise, as their success wasn't as big or lasted as long, so their crowds still contained a bigger percentage 'hard core' supporters. Before the Ferguson/McLean era I never knew an Aberdeen or Dundee Utd fan from Edinburgh, then with both Edinburgh teams struggling, suddenly there seemed loads of them. Aberdeen, in particular, had a very large contingent travelling from all over Scotland to their home games. But now, with supporters reluctant to pay the price of admission even to their local team, who's going to spend time and money making a round trip of 100 - 200 miles to see a poor team you only supported in the first place because they were successful. It's made worse by the fact that they continue to believe they have a right to being a big, successful team and have spent a fortune trying to recover the glory days. I know we've tried the same but without that success of the 80s our core support has actually increased since then. I think Aberdeen should accept that they are not the 'big' team they once were and, if they do sell Pitodrie, build a smaller ground at a reduced cost, which would be cheaper to run, and more suited to the potential crowd that will only grow if they first have phenominal success. As Hibs have discovered, supporters only turn up to watch the team, not the pretty suroundings.

Fozzyonthefence

True, but the population of Aberdeen is around half of that of Edinburgh and they only have one team with a fairly large catchment area and no other big teams anywhere near them. Although, I think a successful Hibs (good one, I know) would probably still be better supported than a successful Aberdeen.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Who would the fans who want Aberdeen/Hibs etc. to get relegated/go bust like us to play in the SPL?

If it was just for one season for each team, then I would be happy to play anybody in their place and welcome them back again the next season. :thumbsup:

They did indeed. Typical Celtic bias from the BBC in this report, pretending that their old chums from the north-east are still alive.

This story is a complete fabrication from start to finish, because Codheid FC are no more. I read it on Kickback, so I know this is true. :thumbsup:

We will be sending a team up there this season, though? Just to go through the motions? I suppose it'll be like Scotland vs Estonia when the Estonians didn't turn up.

Thought those actors and stand-ins did awfully well to lose only 3-0 at Tynecastle, though. It is kind of everyone to keep up the pretence.

We will be sending a team up there this season, though? Just to go through the motions? I suppose it'll be like Scotland vs Estonia in Monaco.

Thought those actors and stand-ins did awfully well to lose only 3-0 at Tynecastle, though. It is kind of everyone to keep up the pretence.

We will, we will. So will Hibs - and the word on the street is that for that game, Aberdeen FC (RIP) will field Eoin Jess all by himself.

1-0 Aberdeen (Jess sent off after 17 minutes). NAP.

Aberdeen need an extra 3000 home fans just to break even, their 'support' doesn't seem to realise that by not going things will only get worse as Milne's finances are being swallowed up keeping them afloat rather than improving the playing squad (ableit he did pay for the NZ striker out of his own pocket).

As for Hearts I would think we turn a profit at home games which currently is just about covering the losses at away games!

His finances aren't going to last forever either. Stuart Milne Homes made 300 redundant a couple of years ago, and announced earlier this week that another 66 are to go.

ah yes, that rings a bell. B*****ds! :(:D

yeah they didn't have a 10,000 all seater stadia IIRC.

but a season or two later ICT were allowed in while groundsharing with aberdeen while they were upgrading their stadia

AllyjamboDerbyshire

They also finished bottom the season before league reconstruction to a 12 team league. Strange how Hearts have never finished bottom of the league and have been relegated twice, hqaving finishing 9th each time, but Aberdeen have finished bottom twice, but never been relegated. Seems ridiculous that they can still claim to be the only team outside the OF never to have been relegated! I've always felt they should have been relegated on both occassions but automatically voted back in.

Archived