Calm Down Dear! It's Only the Wee Cup...

Best Hero

Not that I'm at all surprised by the amount of sudden skepticism and Sergio/players/tactics bashing going on on here after what was admittedly a very poor result for Hearts last night, but FFS people!

Typical of a certain vein of Hearts supporters and fans to get their knickers in a twist over a bad performance and result. Jumping on the 'Sergio's tactics are pish/we don't have the players to play the way he wants to' bandwagon is an easy way of justifying a disappointing result against an Ayr side who were out to cause an upset, and all credit to them, they succeeded. We all know these can be dangerous games but nine times (ok maybe eight) times out of ten we come through them without any major worries. These type of set-backs happen to the best teams and to turn on the manager and players after defeat in a tricky away cup tie is a massive mistake IMO.

I for one will be continuing to get behind my team and it's manager to the hilt and give them the time and support they deserve to implement what is an entirely new way of working instead of joining in on the predictable and often pathetic knee-jerk reactions of some.

And anyway, it's only the wee cup.... ;)

COME ON THE JAMBOS

Not that I'm at all surprised by the amount of sudden skepticism and Sergio/players/tactics bashing going on on here after what was admittedly a very poor result for Hearts last night, but FFS people!

Typical of a certain vein of Hearts supporters and fans to get their knickers in a twist over a bad performance and result. Jumping on the 'Sergio's tactics are pish/we don't have the players to play the way he wants to' bandwagon is an easy way of justifying a disappointing result against an Ayr side who were out to cause an upset, and all credit to them, they succeeded. We all know these can be dangerous games but nine times (ok maybe eight) times out of ten we come through them without any major worries. These type of set-backs happen to the best teams and to turn on the manager and players after defeat in a tricky away cup tie is a massive mistake IMO.

I for one will be continuing to get behind my team and it's manager to the hilt and give them the time and support they deserve to implement what is an entirely new way of working instead of joining in on the predictable and often pathetic knee-jerk reactions of some.

COME ON THE JAMBOS

Couldn't agree more with your post let's try and look at the big picture for a change, it takes time to change a playing system.

COME ON THE JAMBOS

Wee cup or not, there's too much of this "ach well" attitude amongst the Hearts support these days. We are realistically only going to win the League Cup or Scottish Cup and we fecked it up yet again, just look at the last 3 or 4 seasons... St Johnstone, Falkirk, St Mirren, Falkirk again, Airdrie etc..and now Ayr Utd, that's simply not good enough and it's time players of our club got their act together. To accept that form is just wrong.

COME ON THE JAMBOS

Aye doesnae matter cos we will the league and Scottish cup anyway. :angry:

No wonder folk are raging, our cup record over the last few years is fecking appalling and to get put out by a team that is bottom of the 2nd divison and has lost 8 goals in their last 2 games is embarrassing. :down:

COME ON THE JAMBOS

Don't you realise its the end of the world

This will be the wee cup we have not won in how long? And how many big cups/titles have we won while we were not concentrating on the "wee cup"?

I await the answers with baited breath.

I must have missed the eight or nine times out of ten that we have come out on top in recent years....oh wait I forgot Elgin at Tynecastle. While some over react about a defeat where do folk get off with the dismissal of our record in a national cup? God even the old firm like to win it and one of them will win the League every year!

What I do find laughable is many of the same posters who are fed up with PS - were crying out for Sutton, Robinson etc to get a game - they did, we lost and its still goes back to PS.

I'm also fed up with hearing about this "Plan B" while his second album is excellent I'm not sure WTF he has to do with football ? JJ didn't have a plan b now Sergio doesn't have a plan b - Then we get JJ's tactics were rubbish because he played to his strengths (the hoof to Kyle) PS tactics are rubbish because he doesn't play to strengths - sorry but I don't get it - which one do people want ??

As much as fair points are being made about the OTT criticism of Paulo and everything else, we've not won the League Cup in nearly 50 years. That's shameful.

COME ON THE JAMBOS

The only laughable thing is discrediting a perfectly viable and legitimate cup trophy in Scottish football just because we are binned from it.

Wee cup or not, there's too much of this "ach well" attitude amongst the Hearts support these days. We are realistically only going to win the League Cup or Scottish Cup and we fecked it up yet again, just look at the last 3 or 4 seasons... St Johnstone, Falkirk, St Mirren, Falkirk again, Airdrie etc..and now Ayr Utd, that's simply not good enough and it's time players of our club got their act together. To accept that form is just wrong.

That's genuinely how I feel though. I am painfully apathetic about not winning the league cup. I'd love it if we could win it but I'm not about to start pretending I'm really upset about it.

Sexton Hardcastle

Would have been interesting to see the reactions had we won on pens last night.

Would the poor performance have been written off and moved on to sundays game?

Probably.

That's genuinely how I feel though. I am painfully apathetic about not winning the league cup. I'd love it if we could win it but I'm not about to start pretending I'm really upset about it.

I'd agree with you if we'd been in a semi-final and at least put up a fight you could say "well, at least we made an effort and got to the semi" but the lethargy amongst the Hearts players in Cup competitions is nothing short of disgraceful. I was one of the (very) few who turned up to watch the Scottish Cup game against St Johnstone last season, it was played like a testimonial or training match and not a Cup-tie, in an empty stadium. With only two trophies we could realistically win given a bit of luck we should be working our butts off against the likes of Ayr, a team sitting at the bottom of their division.

I'd agree with you if we'd been in a semi-final and at least put up a fight you could say "well, at least we made an effort and got to the semi" but the lethargy amongst the Hearts players in Cup competitions is nothing short of disgraceful. I was one of the (very) few who turned up to watch the Scottish Cup game against St Johnstone last season, it was played like a testimonial or training match and not a Cup-tie, in an empty stadium. With only two trophies we could realistically win given a bit of luck we should be working our butts off against the likes of Ayr, a team sitting at the bottom of their division.

No, no you have it all wrong. It is ok for our players to pick up thousands a week without lifting a finger.

I am genuinely getting to the point where I despair about Hearts FC with the "supporters" we have. If you don't think big, you never will be.

No, no you have it all wrong. It is ok for our players to pick up thousands a week without lifting a finger.

I am genuinely getting to the point where I despair about Hearts FC with the "supporters" we have. If you don't think big, you never will be.

I've read a few of your posts today - and its a valiant crusade you are on to promote the failings of the team and support.

What I'm yet to read is any sort of solution to this problem ??

I've read a few of your posts today - and its a valiant crusade you are on to promote the failings of the team and support.

What I'm yet to read is any sort of solution to this problem ??

I am not paid to provide solutions to the failings of the team. A certain Mr Sergio gets paid quite enough for that, he should press on with it.

As for the fans, I cannot give people passion and drive and a desire for victory, but I can point out the lack of it.

I am not paid to provide solutions to the failings of the team. A certain Mr Sergio gets paid quite enough for that, he should press on with it.

As for the fans, I cannot give people passion and drive and a desire for victory, but I can point out the lack of it.

dont mistake the lack of a kee jerk reaction to that of a lack of will to win and passion for the team.

Not happy about going out the league cup at all - but why bother getting wound up?

What does 'not accepting' this penalty kicks defeat constitute? Should I be doing more to show my displeasure?

All hints and tips gratefully acknowledged.

So we should all just be apathetic about everything? Great, nothing will ever change then.

How come the Old Firm fans make their views quite clear then? How do they manage it yet it seems beyond the efforts of the Hearts support?

So we should all just be apathetic about everything? Great, nothing will ever change then.

How come the Old Firm fans make their views quite clear then? How do they manage it yet it seems beyond the efforts of the Hearts support?

Nobody said that.

There're more important things than football, and in football, there are more important things than the league cup.

Nobody said that.

There're more important things than football, and in football, there are more important things than the league cup.

Indeed, in fact I would have far more interest in the League Cup if SPL clubs were made to field their u-19's and give them some proper competetive experience against lower division sides.

It wasn't so long ago Mr Romanov said Sergio was to win us the league - or words to that effect....... And lets be honest what he says goes.

Perhaps Sergio has decided the league is his priority and as it stands he's making a good job of it.

Take Man City as an example - now before anyone starts I'm not comparing us to the richest football club in the world - however under Mancini last season they had 2 prioities win a trophy and get champs league - to do so he played a very unattractive brand of football - win at all costs style - he achieved his goal and look at them this season. Would it be impossible to imagine Sergio and Vlad have worked out a strategy for this season which is a win at all costs mentality, get to the closed season as close to first as possible and then build in the transfer market to take us to the next level. By then Sergio has the experience of the league and will know what it takes - Just an idea.

More "wee cup" nonsense.

It is one of our two chances of actually winning something.

Winning trophies is NOT something that we have been exactly prolific at doing.

We have a support with large elements it appears that would rather finish 3rd in the league so we can get 1or 2 Euro trips, than actually win a cup, have a massive party, have a memorable open top bus parade, and silverware in the trophy cabinet.

Can't really understand the logic myself.

Nobody said that.

Agreed about both of these, BUT, this is a site about Hearts football club and people have the right to get fed up about the persisting failure of our club to be able to win this trophy or now even to advance beyond the early rounds at a time when we are supposed to be the third biggest team in the Country! Work wise I see much more drastic things every day than a team being knocked out of a cup but Hearts fans should be able to be disappointed and say so on this site without snide comments don't you think?

COME ON THE JAMBOS

It must take a fairly extreme form of myopia to be able to make the claim that Hearts come through eight or nine games out of ten against wee teams in cups unscathed. And a peculiar kind of stupidity to perpetuate all the "wee cup" stuff when it's abundantly clear that the League Cup is one of only two trophies we currently stand a chance of winning each year.

While criticism of the manager for last night's exit is, in my view, inappropriate, criticism of the club as a whole, including the players, is not. We are now at the stage of institutional failure when it comes to cup competitions.

While criticism of the manager for last night's exit is, in my view, inappropriate, criticism of the club as a whole, including the players, is not.

In a nutshell.

yabadabadoo1874again

Agree 100%

The only laughable thing is discrediting a perfectly viable and legitimate cup trophy in Scottish football just because we are binned from it.

Baird, King and Michael

I like calling the League Cup the ?Wee Cup? because it?s part of the banter we have with Hibs fans. Ranking the competitions we are involved in each season it has the least kudos, however, I despair at our record in one of the only competitions we stand a chance of winning.

Unless you?re approaching retirement age then most Hearts fans will have seen us lift the grand total of two trophies over the last fifty years. That record is simply appalling for a club claiming to be the third force in Scotland.

We entered 4 competitions this season, two of which we have absolutely no chance of winning. The club has not won the league in over half a century and it could be another 50 years before we win it again. Without slagging PS or JJ or even Vlad we simply cannot attract (and keep) the quality of player required to genuinely mount a sustained challenge for the SPL title. That is the reality. Even if PS can get a system that the players learn to like and is successful then at best we will look to finish third. Being ?best of the rest? is of course something that the club with the 3rd highest wage bill and 3rd highest support should be aiming to achieve each season. But of its own, 3rd place should not be seen as the only measure of our success.

Winning trophies should be our top priority.

What football fan dreams of finishing third in anything? Do you find your mind drifting off in a boring lecture/meeting/ conversation with the wife to the thought of finishing 30 points behind the champions or to that moment Lockie/Fulton and Elvis lifted those cups? I would prefer that every season, Hearts treat both the Scottish and the League Cups as a matter of priority. That would mean fielding our strongest team in every potentially difficult game. (I accept there is a difference between playing Elgin at Tynie when you can experiment with fringe players and Ayr or Falkirk away.) The last decade in particular has proved that the difference between SPL and Scottish 1st Division sides is not so vast that the top teams can afford to rest players or play weakened teams. Even treating these competitions seriously would not guarantee success. It?s very difficult for any team outwith the OF to win trophies. However, it?s one thing to lose to Rangers/Celtic/Dundee Utd/Hibs in a cup where you?ve done your level best, it?s another thing entirely for a club of our stature to exit cup competitions meekly to Ayr, Falkirk, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Ross County, Airdrie etc.

Last nights result should be seen as a devastating blow to our chances of winning a rare trophy. Unfortunately I think amongst at least some of the players and coaching staff and certainly some of our fans it is dismissed as nothing to get upset about. After all?it?s only the diddy cup and we?re a big team???

We need to ditch the ?diddy? and the ?wee? attitudes and get serious about winning silverware.

Should also be pointed out that ALL big European clubs consider the Europa League to be a "wee cup" with some considering it a distraction. We have hee haw chance of winning it yet get very excited at the prospect of us playing in it.

So that wee cup is ok but a wee cup we could actually have a realistic chance of winning is not.

Confused.

In a nutshell :thumbsup:

More "wee cup" nonsense.

We have a support with large elements it appears that would rather finish 3rd in the league so we can get 1or 2 Euro trips, than actually win a cup, have a massive party, have a memorable open top bus parade, and silverware in the trophy cabinet.

Well said :thumbsup: Hits the nail right on the head.

I agree as well, what really pisses me of is that big teams (sic) and not just in scotland, make wholesale changes eight in our case, when they play in a so called diddy cup against supposed lesser teams. They the management and the team let down the fans big time. not just the ones who travel and attend the cup game but every contributing fan. The sooner Hearts and other teams realise that the are letting us down and we feel we are being screwed by their actions in not progressing to the next round Last night should have been a walk in the park but as it turns out like most teams that apply this philosophy we were knocked out.

We desearve an applogy and with a bit of luck PS will learn and not do this again.

MacDonald Jardine

Indeed, in fact I would have far more interest in the League Cup if SPL clubs were made to field their u-19's and give them some proper competetive experience against lower division sides.

I shuddder to think what our record would be like then.

JKB wouldn't be the same without an outbreak of hysteria after a bad result.

Saying that 50 years since we last won the league cup is just not acceptable and our effort in that competition over the last few years have been woeful and an insult to the supporters who paid good money to go to these matches and support the team. Time that this changed.

I just hope that the Scottish Cup in January is not treated in the same way.

JKB wouldn't be the same without an outbreak of hysteria after a bad result.

Saying that 50 years since we last won the league cup is just not acceptable and our effort in that competition over the last few years have been woeful and an insult to the supporters who paid good money to go to these matches and support the team. Time that this changed.

I just hope that the Scottish Cup in January is not treated in the same way.

I will take this awful defeat on the chin if we return from Perth on Sunday with a good performance behind us and 3 points gained.

If we draw 0-0 or lose, I will be seriously wondering where the goals are going to come from.

We should have beaten them because we have better players. All of those players last night were better than their opposite number and should have been able to figure out how to beat Ayr U*******nited.

If we are saying we didn't beat them because of 'Tactics' then frankly we are blaming the wrong person. It cannot always be the manager's fault.

Like ive said smacking the hobos a few times each season and european football is a good substitute for our lack of winning trophies . doh should i have said that ?

Yep, I think many Hearts fans have taken the songs about the wee cup directed at Hibs fans literally!!!

Only the OF can lay claim to not being fussed about this cup because of the closing down of the euro passage via securing the trophy.

And let's look at how many times they have decided to win it over the last 25 years, regardless.

Nobody, including Hearts with 2 scottish cup wins in my lifetime, should have the gall to act as if a national trophy is a joke - That, in itself, is the joke.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I don't understand these threads. We're Hearts fans, of course some of us are upset when we get knocked out of a cup by a lower league team when Rangers have already been knocked out. What's the big deal with that? It's like apathy and disinterest are the preferred state of mind and anything that reveals the slightest annoyance is to be ridiculed.

These threads appear whenever we lose, EVERY single time we get beat. We lose to Ayr, get hammered at Ibrox, hammered in Europe, knocked out the Scottish Cup, beaten at home to St Mirren, beaten away to Dundee Utd, whatever, and there will be a preemptive thread wailing and despairing that somebody, somewhere, will be upset. Football fans annoyed at a loss - FFS, what next? Only in Scotland, eh? In every other country in the world football fans accept losses, even enjoy them - they'd never dream of showing the slightest displeasure at every enjoyable spanking they witness.

Honestly, I often wonder if the folk who start threads like this would honestly not bat an eyelid if we lost every single game we ever play again. 167 defeats in a row - "Come on seethers, post your over-reactions in here".

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Also - "Wee Cup". :facepalm:

It's only the "Wee Cup" to Tim Lovejoy-esque English Premier fanboys who think football started in 1992 and care more about the haircuts and replica boots of the players than they do about the results. They laugh at any tournament not on a par with the CL and claim one of England's top clubs as their second team.

"Wee Cup". FFS.

You are spot on. I was not at last night's game so cannot comment on the performance. What I can comment on is that our record in cup competitions in the last few seasons has been an utter disgrace. The thing is, I was not surprsied by last night's result - because it continues the recent trend - but that trend should be totally unacceptable for anyone who cares about HMFC.

I cannot understand the apparent apathy Hearts have shown towards the League Cup in recent years. Over the 50 years since we last won it, there have been plenty of times when we were desperate to win it. Certainly pre 1998.

The lack of European qualification is probably a factor, but it is one of the 3 domestic trophies that we are, professionaly, supposed to be trying to win. The SPL is out of our reach, certainly for now. So that leaves the other 2, which a club like ours still needs luck to have a chance of winning. In 1998, for example, we didn't play a top league side until the final. But we were due that luck because of the desire and effort that had been put into trying to win a trophy for years beforehand.

If you take it from a fans point of view, let's say that we all live to actually see Hearts play for 50 years, as an estimate. That means that, realisticaly, we have around 100 chances, in life, to see Hearts win a trophy. Now think of the cup ties we have lost recently to teams we should be expected to beat. We have probably thrown away around 10% of those chances since 2000. Shocks happen in cup ties - but they shouldn't happen to Hearts as often as they are. If the League Cup didn't exist, we would only have around 50 chances, in life, to see Hearts win a trophy.

We don't have a right to win trophies more often, but Hearts should be going for them 100% all of the time, so as when Lady Luck does help us, we have got ourselves in a position to take advantage. They are due that to the fans who give up a substantial part of their lives and income to support them.

If we don't win a trophy for another 30 years, will the guys who are brushing this off as the "wee cup", still not be bothered about winning it?

Howdy Doody Jambo

COME ON THE JAMBOS

Its the attitude of fans like yourself saying ''Its only the wee cup'' that loser mentality that gets into the players heads goes to explain why we have not won it since 1962 (50 Years ) now , Part-time Ayr Utd just promoted from the second division matched us all the way and were as fit as our players and you say its alright

Oh well maybe we will get back to Hampden in 2016 as our average cup final record suggests

It's only the "Wee Cup" to Tim Lovejoy-esque English Premier fanboys who think football started in 1992 and care more about the haircuts and replica boots of the players than they do about the results. They laugh at any tournament not on a par with the CL and claim one of England's top clubs as their second team.

"Wee Cup". FFS.

Absolutely love this post :thumbsup: bang on the money.

Correct.

I'm sure all the folk who are indifferent / unbothered / couldnt care less about the 'wee cup' would turn down a trip to Hampden for the 'wee cup' final right enough. Wouldnt they?!

More "wee cup" nonsense.

THIS THIS AND MORE THIS.

"Wee Cup". FFS.

Yes "Wee Cup"

The only people who don't think it's the wee cup are people who think the world hasn't changed since the 1990s

The League cup used to be a far bigger deal, it's not now.

That's not to say I wouldn't celebrate winning it but I'd party all night as opposed to all week. Similarly the debacle in Ayr spoiled my evening as opposed to my week, never mind my season

The fact europe isn't attached to the trophy has hugely devalued it.

It's perhaps time they looked at the format - a Europa style group might be the answer. I'd also suggest they make it mandatory to play minimum of 4 U19's for the SPL teams in each group game. Once it goes to knock out the teams can play whoever they choose.

Give the lower division teams some much needed revenue, the SPL teams a chance to play u19's and create a bit more interest in the tournament.

I can honestly say that the League Cup is not treated lightly by the wee clubs where every penny is a prisoner. The prize money is much better than the Scottish Cup for one thing.

Scottish Cup exiting round payments:

First round losers : ?2000*

Second round losers : ?4000

Third round losers : ?6000

Fourth round losers : ?8000

Fifth round losers : ?10,000

QF losers : ?12,000

SF: losers : ?15,000

Runners up : ?30,000

Winners : ?60,000

League Cup exiting payments:

First round losers : ?10,500

Second round losers : ?14,750

Third Round losers : ?24,500

Quarter-Final losers : ?38,000

Semi-Final losers : ?47,500

Runner up : ?82,000

Winner : ?110,000

Teams like Ayr United rely on good cup runs, if we exit the League Cup in the next round, which is likely, that ?30,000 - ?40,000 can be the difference in strengthening our squad in the January window and could be the making or breaking of our survival in the 1st DIV. I dare say there will be 1 or 2 SPL teams wishing they were still in the cup for the prize money alone(Sheep Shaggers + Tax Dodgers):)

* Figures are 3 years old.

Archived