This season we are going to party like it's 2008/9

Martin_T

Firstly, Paulo Sergio needs and deserves time. In the long term, I'm still optimistic that he'll have a positive influence on the club.

However....

• Early exit from the league cup
  • Struggling to win away from home
  • Foreign manager initially struggling to adapt to the Scottish league
  • One up front
  • Not conceding many goals

Yup that's right folks, we would seem to be re-enacting Csaba Laszlo's first season currently and whilst the 'achievement' of 3rd place would be meeting expectations, another early exit from the cup would be totally unacceptable.

I can't fathom whether this thread is positive on the whole or negative or is it somewhere inbetween? Probably.

Meh!

Firstly, Paulo Sergio needs and deserves time. In the long term, I'm still optimistic that he'll have a positive influence on the club.

However....

• Early exit from the league cup
  • Struggling to win away from home
  • Foreign manager initially struggling to adapt to the Scottish league
  • One up front
  • Not conceding many goals

Yup that's right folks, we would seem to be re-enacting Csaba Laszlo's first season currently and whilst the 'achievement' of 3rd place would be meeting expectations, another early exit from the cup would be totally unacceptable.

[*]Early exit from the league cup

we have been hopeless in the cups since 2006

[*]Struggling to win away from home

apart from the start of last season, when have we been that great away from home?

[*]Foreign manager initially struggling to adapt to the Scottish league

hes unbeaten in six games (not including pens)

[*]One up front

we have played 1 up front for the last 5 years

[*]Not conceding many goals

this is a good thing surley?

and csaba led us to third in the league and a european tour to look forward to and i have no doubt PS will do the same.

How dramatic.

Out league form has picked up and will probably improve.

I'll start worrying when we are in hibs position.

We finished 3rd in 2009. Point of the thread is that this season feels similar so far. Not sure why it deserves the usual JKB wise cracks further up the thread.

Sorry, I misread it.

The season doesn't inspire me at all. And I can see the fans getting fed up if we go out the SC early.

However, as far as the SPL is concerned we will probably do ok. As shit as that is.

We lack proper quality to do anything other than ordinary.

Getting a touch bored with the Laszlo comparisons.

I don't recall - at any point - during Csaba's tenure that we were moaning that the players didn't fit the system. I recall plenty of moans about eye bleeding football and and having no tactics other than continually sitting 9 men behind the ball the second that we went a goal up.

What I'm thinking is that perhaps, and **** me this is a doozy, we wait until PS is given a chance to bring in a couple of players that DO fit the system and see where that takes us before slavering that his style is exactly the same as Laszlo's.

Either that or we twist his arm behind his back until he promises to launch exocet missiles for 90 minutes to John Sutton's head, because he scored 17 goals for Motherwell last season. That does sound super, doesn't it?

(And as a wee aside, when I say "we", I mean those fans of a mentally challenged persuasion. Cheers).

January will be interesting. Let's hope we get the guys in that Csaba Sergio wants.

:facepalm:

[*]Early exit from the league cup

we have been hopeless in the cups since 2006

[*]Struggling to win away from home

apart from the start of last season, when have we been that great away from home?

[*]Foreign manager initially struggling to adapt to the Scottish league

hes unbeaten in six games (not including pens)

[*]One up front

we have played 1 up front for the last 5 years

[*]Not conceding many goals

this is a good thing surley?

and csaba led us to third in the league and a european tour to look forward to and i have no doubt PS will do the same.

A major difference so far is that Csaba's teams very seldom won, or indeed lost, by more than one goal. This was my abiding memory of his tenure. The play was seldom sparkling but the games had a certain drama about them. You could seldom leave early as the scorelines were always tight going down to the wire/

Csaba football involved getting a lead and then shutting up shop. Once he'd got his defence in order this was pretty effective and after the nightmare of the previous season it was welcome.

The novelty of being able to relax once we went ahead in the knowledge that we weren't likely throw it all away made up for a lack of aesthetic charms in the play.

In his abortive second season it took longer to build a coherent defensive unit but he'd stuck together a 5 game winning streak before the Aberdeen Collapse that heralded his departue.

Paulo's side, on the other hand, have been far keener to press home their advantage at least in the games that I've seen.

Csaba narrowed a football game down to 1 or 2 critical moments per game - a corner or a free kick or a penalty for us to score and then the same for the opposition as we tried desperately to hold onto our lead ...... sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't as we invariably ended up camped inside our own half defending our penalty box. :ermm:

Csaba narrowed a football game down to 1 or 2 critical moments per game - a corner or a free kick or a penalty for us to score and then the same for the opposition as we tried desperately to hold onto our lead ...... sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't as we invariably ended up camped inside our own half defending our penalty box. :ermm:

He didn't start off like that though the first few games we played nice passing football and then after about 4 or 5 games we seemed to revert to fear football(pinch a goal and hold on for dear life).The fans also didn't like the slow patient football Csaba had us playing at the beginning of his time and we reverted to hoofball.

Archived