Should we not target the Cups?

david mcgee

If, and im sure we are the third best team in the Country, we have two opportunities to win a cup, when we have to win four matches on the trot against at least 3 teams inferior to us. ( unless we drew both the old firm, and there is always the chance of not facing either)

Yes we need to put plenty of energy into pushing the old firm but the chances of winning the league are diddly squit.

This makes the cups must win competitions, well you would never think this, especially looking at our League cup record.

I know a run in the second division of Europe may be fairly lucrative, but so would a cup run.

Winning a cup would also make it a hell of a lot easier to sell season tickets for the next season.

Inside every programme ive ever bought it lists Hearts honours, every cup win is listed.

I cant recall seeing any lists of how many times weve finished third.

If, and im sure we are the third best team in the Country, we have two opportunities to win a cup, when we have to win four matches on the trot against at least 3 teams inferior to us. ( unless we drew both the old firm, and there is always the chance of not facing either)

Yes we need to put plenty of energy into pushing the old firm but the chances of winning the league are diddly squit.

This makes the cups must win competitions, well you would never think this, especially looking at our League cup record.

I know a run in the second division of Europe may be fairly lucrative, but so would a cup run.

Winning a cup would also make it a hell of a lot easier to sell season tickets for the next season.

Inside every programme ive ever bought it lists Hearts honours, every cup win is listed.

Dont be daft - everyone knows we save our energies for the league, third place doe not come easy you know...........

In all honesty the team we played tonight should have beat that mob. I would take a cup win every season and sacrifice 3rd place.

The cups should be our target every season. 3rd does n't excite me.

A day out at Hampden and the glory of a cup win is what I want. 6 cup finals and 2 wins in my life time is poor, taking the league out of it that's 2 wins out of 80 odd cup comps

There was a great thread where the OP went into great detail a couple of years ago about the importance of the cups and how they should be our main target.

This cup is a irritating waste of time. No euro place no point.

Glad It's out of the way so we can concentrate on the league and Scottish Cup.

So are inane comments like that!

Chaka Demus & pliers

I see the League Cup as a good chance to use our fringe players and see what they can do. Certainly when we draw lower league opposition anyway.

The team we had out tonight should have been good enough to go through and would have been had it not been for a defensive mistake for their goal and the fact that some of our players appear to be shite at taking pens.

Totally agree with the OP.

I want to win both cups. I want to win the league too but that is far more unlikely.

If it was up to me we would have had a full team out tonight with maybe only 1-2 changes.

Each cup is worth as much as the other imo. I don't truly give a care about it giving us Europe, it gives us pride as we've won stuff. It creates and breeds a winning mentality within the squad as there is a tangible gain from it. A medal, a trophy, a place in the club's history. To me not trying, and fielding strong teams in the cups, is a cop out and just a waste. I want to see my team win trophies. The only 2 that we really can win are the League Cup and Scottish Cup. That is the only silverware we will win in the next 10 or so years, why should we view either as a waste. If anything Europe is a waste, we play 4 games max, mess up our pre-season, and end up back in the league doing the same old.

Roy Croppers Handbag

I don't care what anyone says about the league cup, Hearts record in cup competitions is nothing short of embarrassing, pish like Dunfermline get to numerous cup finals whilst we get knocked out regularly by utter shite.

I want a Hampden day out, is that too much to ******* ask for Hearts?

You just have to look at the quarter final line up to see that we've blown yet another big chance to have a decent cup run and try for some silverware:

Celtic

Hibs

Dundee United

Kilmarnock

Ayr

East Fife

Falkirk

St Mirren

Two teams out of 8 that are anywhere approaching half decent and we've chucked it against a joke side - same side we pished ourselves at Hibs going out the cup to last season by the way.

Each cup is worth as much as the other imo.

No it's not.

I see the League Cup as a good chance to use our fringe players and see what they can do. Certainly when we draw lower league opposition anyway.

The team we had out tonight should have been good enough to go through and would have been had it not been for a defensive mistake for their goal and the fact that some of our players appear to be shite at taking pens.

With respect, i totally disagree.

We should play our best team, get them totally up for it and put the game to bed.

We are afforded that many subs these days the youngsters and fringe players should be given a run at 3-0 up.

Our mind set for early round cup games is rank rotten.

So is the old firms and that is why we have to go all out for it right from the start.

You just have to look at the quarter final line up to see that we've blown yet another big chance to have a decent cup run and try for some silverware:

Celtic

Hibs

Dundee United

Kilmarnock

Ayr

East Fife

Falkirk

St Mirren

Two teams out of 8 that are anywhere approaching half decent and we've chucked it against a joke side - same side we pished ourselves at Hibs going out the cup to last season by the way.

No it's not.

Looking at that line-up, if they avoid each other in the draw, I reckon it'll be a Celtic-Kilmarnock final. And if Lennon somehow fails to win this tournament from this position, well...

Celtic

Hibs

Dundee United

Kilmarnock

Ayr

East Fife

Falkirk

St Mirren

No it's not.

One gives us Europe one doesn't. I'm not overly bothered by Europe. It's a moderate money spinner, only moderate as we have a small ground in European terms. To me it's a big day or two in the sun before hitting the ground with a thud and having to go to places like Paisley and Dunfermline. Rather win A cup regardless of cup than be in Europe year in year out.

One gives us Europe one doesn't. I'm not overly bothered by Europe. It's a moderate money spinner, only moderate as we have a small ground in European terms. To me it's a big day or two in the sun before hitting the ground with a thud and having to go to places like Paisley and Dunfermline. Rather win A cup regardless of cup than be in Europe year in year out.

The entire prestige of the two cups is completely different. If you could win one and only one for the rest of your days, it's not even a contest which you would pick. It's really got nothing to do with Europe and everything to do with the history and importance of the trophy. Doesn't mean I don't want to win it, but saying they're just the same is wrong.

The entire prestige of the two cups is completely different. If you could win one and only one for the rest of your days, it's not even a contest which you would pick. It's really got nothing to do with Europe and everything to do with the history and importance of the trophy. Doesn't mean I don't want to win it, but saying they're just the same is wrong.

At the moment, since we haven't won it since the 1960s I think the prestige in achieving a final in it would be good enough intrinsically to give us the feeling that the prestige of the Scottish Cup gives. If we are honest, the history of both is that of being a side show for Old Firm fans. They only matter to everyone else in Scotland because no one else can win the league.

Agree with the distinction between the cups.

The Scottish Cup is THE CUP.

Hampden in early summer with all other competition finished, all eyes on the cup final.

Definately the big yin.

League cup, " easy to win, and over before you know it".

Yet we cant even get close to winning it, and its about time we gave it some respect, because we have two chances a season to win a trophy and winning the mickey moose cup sets us up for the double.

Like that? "Double winners Hearts" oooooooooooooooooooooh!

We havev 2 chances each year to win a trophy : League cup & Scottish Cup.

We have no chance to win the league under current conditions and even less chance to do anything in Europe.

Yet each year we as the supoosed third force feck up our chances of winning the trophies we actualy have a chance to win.

We won 2 Scottish cups in the last 60 years or so, Last time we won the fecken league cup was 1962.

Yet we crow about being third fecken force.

Feck off ! #

Different manager - same old pish.

Another Fecken disgraceful exit from a cup we had a chance in.

Good time at WHL tho - That was great !! ( forget we were 5 - 0 fecken down )

Disgraceful record in the league cup. ( don't give me the delusional "Mickey Mouse" gash !! )

At the moment, since we haven't won it since the 1960s I think the prestige in achieving a final in it would be good enough intrinsically to give us the feeling that the prestige of the Scottish Cup gives. If we are honest, the history of both is that of being a side show for Old Firm fans. They only matter to everyone else in Scotland because no one else can win the league.

Sorry but that is nonsense. You are kidding yourself on if you think that winning the League Cup matches winning the Scottish Cup. You're also kidding yourself on if you think that the Old Firm don't take the Scottish Cup seriously. Not even going to begin with this claim that the cups only matter to non-OF sides because we can't win the league - wild :mellow:

We havev 2 chances each year to win a trophy : League cup & Scottish Cup.

We have no chance to win the league under current conditions and even less chance to do anything in Europe.

Yet each year we as the supoosed third force feck up our chances of winning the trophies we actualy have a chance to win.

We won 2 Scottish cups in the last 60 years or so, Last time we won the fecken league cup was 1962.

Yet we crow about being third fecken force.

Feck off ! #

Different manager - same old pish.

Another Fecken disgraceful exit from a cup we had a chance in.

Good time at WHL tho - That was great !! ( forget we were 5 - 0 fecken down )

Disgraceful record in the league cup. ( don't give me the delusional "Mickey Mouse" gash !! )

My point exactly.

Im sure a league cup final would be as big a pay day as a tie against Tottenham at home.

I am also sure a trophy in the cabinet would sell more season tickets the following season than a 5-0 aggregate loss in Europe.

Why does everybody presume a cup run means eleventh in the league?

I sort of agree with you. The league cup doesn't have the prestige it once had so it's hard to muster much enthusiasm. But still, it would have been nice to have gone through.

Archived