Jefferies

Walter Kidd

It certainly isn't over the top to criticise Jefferies. The tactics were wrong, the subs were wrong, our home form is unacceptable (in my view, considerably because of the tactics; tactics which I doubt he has the common sense to change).

But what is totally over the top is to call for his dismissal, which the OP did. And your insistence on 3rd is also, I'm afraid, too much. It takes time to develop a new side and totally change the style of play: there are bound to be ups and downs. 4th or 5th is realistic, but 3rd isn't; and it's if we finish below 5th - thereby making no progress on last season - that Jefferies' position becomes untenable.

Oh, one other thing. You set targets, BH, because naturally, you want to see Hearts achieve as much as possible. But the club's target isn't league positions or trophies at all. It's to develop young players in order to sell them on for profit. That's largely why JJ was re-appointed in the first place. The board's aims aren't those of the fans at all, mate.

I think Shaun has disappeared, but, if you are still lurking here Shaun, I wonder what your opinion on this section is now.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out thought by the Fat Finn. Time to collect the P45. He is yesterday's man.

That quote has made you look a total shop front. Well done.

I think Shaun has disappeared, but, if you are still lurking here Shaun, I wonder what your opinion on this section is now.

I do hope you won't be jumping out of planes now that Shaun has gone. :unsure:

I do hope you won't be jumping out of planes now that Shaun has gone. :unsure:

Now David, I hope you are not suggesting that I am a subservient, lesser species Hibs fan; Are you?

Folk opening their mouths and letting their belly's rumble is really amusing.

Just shows you what a large percentage of football fans know diddly about the game.

After 30 league games back in charge, JJ now has 46 points. After 30 league games in charge, Csaba had 49 points. So pretty close there.

After 30 games, we've scored 35 goals - whereas with Csaba we'd only scored 31.

The thing is, whilst we're still no better off in terms of points, and only a wee bit better off in terms of goals for, after 30 games, Csaba began to fail, we lost more, and scored even less. I get the feeling with JJ we're still in with a chance of improving.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

After 30 league games back in charge, JJ now has 46 points. After 30 league games in charge, Csaba had 49 points. So pretty close there.

The thing is, whilst we're still no better off in terms of points, and only a wee bit better off in terms of goals for, after 30 games, Csaba began to fail, we lost more, and scored even less. I get the feeling with JJ we're still in with a chance of improving.

And IMO we are playing much better stuff under JJ. I was bored to tears a lot of the time under CL.

Everybody loves Baz

The OP is an absolute roaster of the very highest quality.

Of that there is no doubt ;)

This :thumbsup:

Unfair on JJ with those stats as it includes last season when he had to try and turn around an unhappy and disjointed squad.

Fact is JJ has us playing far more attractive football and we certainly wouldn't have seen the emergence of Temps or the improvement in Suso, Bouzid or the signings of Kyle and Elliott and for that we should be grateful

Pleasing thread. I now know of several reactionary arseholes who I definitely wouldn't want in the trenches with me.

JJ = magnificent b*stard.

I genuinely won't hear a bad word against him. He's one of us, done more for the club than most folk in our history, and he's got me enjoying going to watch our team again (yesterday... well, let's just forget yesterday goals aside!).

I fecking love him. :jj:

stop typing complete and utter drivel! feckin hobo in disguise.

looking at the posts by hin (walter kidd). He is a definite hobo (if I am wrong which I am sure i'm not then forgive me)

The OP is an absolute roaster of the very highest quality.

Of that there is no doubt ;)

I think it's best to let this thread die...

;)

looking at the posts by hin (walter kidd). He is a definite hobo (if I am wrong which I am sure i'm not then forgive me)

I've always suspected this.

He even goes to go Hearts games to keep his cover.

I think it's best to let this thread die...

;)

BB in trying to whitewash Jefferies Dinosaur Yesterdays man P45-gate saga scandal. ninja.gif

Unfair on JJ with those stats as it includes last season when he had to try and turn around an unhappy and disjointed squad.

Fact is JJ has us playing far more attractive football and we certainly wouldn't have seen the emergence of Temps or the improvement in Suso, Bouzid or the signings of Kyle and Elliott and for that we should be grateful

I'm not sure why JJ's record requires this type of special pleading.

Just for the record, could you clarify what kind of squad it was that JJ's predecessor inherited after two seasons which included Malofeev, Committee and Frail?

:mellow:

Totally agree :biggrin:

To keep this going would only serve to embarrass and humiliate 'Wally Kidd'.

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure why JJ's record requires this type of special pleading.

Just for the record, could you clarify what kind of squad it was that JJ's predecessor inherited after two seasons which included Malofeev, Committee and Frail?

:mellow:

Very valid point. We needed Csaba and he would of left a hero after his first year in charge.

Unfortunately he lost it and JJ is exactly what we need now.

portobellojambo1

And IMO we are playing much better stuff under JJ. I was bored to tears a lot of the time under CL.

Lucky you, I was bored all of the time.

As managers go he made people who only know the word 'no' in English seem remarkably positive.

Doesn't paint the whole picture those stats. About 15 of those games were at the tail end of last season where JJ had to perform with the dross that had been left at the club. JJ did well with what he had imo.

Compare the start of this season to the start of last and that will give a fairer comparison between the two.

I'll stick with JJ if that is all the same.

I didnt want Csaba to be sacked. Not because I thought he was great and definitely not because of the entertainment he brought. I just thought it was a risky strategy to get rid of a manager more than half way through a season and at a stage where it was plainly obvious that anyone coming in was going to have to work with what he had for the rest of the season.

I didnt want Jefferies brought in because in all honestly, I thought he had shot his bolt and was washed up several years beforehand.

I'm not sure we were ever in serious relegation trouble last season but JJ ended up doing a fairly respectable, if unspectacular, rescue job and almost got European football (now that WOULD have been spectacular)

Coming into this season I still didnt fancy him much and some of the early results and performances were a bit worrying.

There are still a few question marks over JJ for me. His tactical know-how and his judgement of a player to name but two that leap to mind. Neither of which have had any real disastrous effect as yet, just that the jury is still out for me. (Not wanting Skacel (apparently) and his summer long obsession with Bryson and one or two other minor bits and pieces sent a wee warning out to me that he isnt quite there yet in terms of player aquisition)

On the plus side he's been excellent at getting the best out of players who previously looked poor to average, namely Black and Mrowiec. And he's been excellent at getting players to produce when they are playing out of position or asked to do something a bit different from what they'd prefer. I dont remember any season where we scored as many bloody good goals as this and that in itself has lifted the general morale about the place. We look like we can score and even more important we look like we're trying to score and thats got to be better than what Csaba had us doing.

Still a bit to go for JJ. We've lucked out quite a few times lately and sometimes still we look like we havent got a fecking clue how to beat mediocre teams. Should really finish 3rd now with the head of steam he's built up and the squad he's got and most importantly, the owner seems to be letting him get on with it.

I have to say, I had my serious doubts, but the last 6 weeks have been really promising, and mostly down to him. I didnt think he'd be able to progress us as far as he has so hats off to him.

I didnt want Csaba to be sacked. Not because I thought he was great and definitely not because of the entertainment he brought. I just thought it was a risky strategy to get rid of a manager more than half way through a season and at a stage where it was plainly obvious that anyone coming in was going to have to work with what he had for the rest of the season.

I didnt want Jefferies brought in because in all honestly, I thought he had shot his bolt and was washed up several years beforehand.

I'm not sure we were ever in serious relegation trouble last season but JJ ended up doing a fairly respectable, if unspectacular, rescue job and almost got European football (now that WOULD have been spectacular)

Coming into this season I still didnt fancy him much and some of the early results and performances were a bit worrying.

There are still a few question marks over JJ for me. His tactical know-how and his judgement of a player to name but two that leap to mind. Neither of which have had any real disastrous effect as yet, just that the jury is still out for me. (Not wanting Skacel (apparently) and his summer long obsession with Bryson and one or two other minor bits and pieces sent a wee warning out to me that he isnt quite there yet in terms of player aquisition)

On the plus side he's been excellent at getting the best out of players who previously looked poor to average, namely Black and Mrowiec. And he's been excellent at getting players to produce when they are playing out of position or asked to do something a bit different from what they'd prefer. I dont remember any season where we scored as many bloody good goals as this and that in itself has lifted the general morale about the place. We look like we can score and even more important we look like we're trying to score and thats got to be better than what Csaba had us doing.

Still a bit to go for JJ. We've lucked out quite a few times lately and sometimes still we look like we havent got a fecking clue how to beat mediocre teams. Should really finish 3rd now with the head of steam he's built up and the squad he's got and most importantly, the owner seems to be letting him get on with it.

I have to say, I had my serious doubts, but the last 6 weeks have been really promising, and mostly down to him. I didnt think he'd be able to progress us as far as he has so hats off to him.

We were 5th when Csaba was sacked and we finished 6th so that's a bit of a ridiculous statement...

We were 5th when Csaba was sacked and we finished 6th so that's a bit of a ridiculous statement...

Nominally we were 5th but there were at least 3 teams just below us with games in hand. I think we were as low as 8th, possibly even 9th at various stages last season though, and Csaba had a pretty good run just before he got the bullet which pushed us up the table and made sacking him look a bit silly TBH.

I think there were times when it could have gone either way for us, although as I said, I dont think either man would have got us relegated. It was at the back of the mind for a while though.

Nominally we were 5th but there were at least 3 teams just below us with games in hand. I think we were as low as 8th, possibly even 9th at various stages last season though, and Csaba had a pretty good run just before he got the bullet which pushed us up the table and made sacking him look a bit silly TBH.

I think there were times when it could have gone either way for us, although as I said, I dont think either man would have got us relegated. It was at the back of the mind for a while though.

There was a chance around November/December before we beat Celtic (Bouzid diving header) that we could have fallen to the bottom of the league so we were definitely struggling. But as you say we did hit a bit of a purple patch prior to losing at home to Aberdeen and Csaba's sacking.

I don't really disagree with much of what you said it's just I think sometimes people think that Csaba left us in a complete shambles which is a bit harsh and that Jefferies did great to get us top 6 when in fact we were already there and basically scraped our way to it in the end.

Jefferies has done well this season in the main. Still a few things I've not been happy with but hard to say too much when we are on such a good run of form.

I do however think we have a team capable of hitting a sticky patch and going a few games without winning at some stage and the way we react to this will be the biggest test for Jefferies.

There was a chance around November/December before we beat Celtic (Bouzid diving header) that we could have fallen to the bottom of the league so we were definitely struggling. But as you say we did hit a bit of a purple patch prior to losing at home to Aberdeen and Csaba's sacking.

I don't really disagree with much of what you said it's just I think sometimes people think that Csaba left us in a complete shambles which is a bit harsh and that Jefferies did great to get us top 6 when in fact we were already there and basically scraped our way to it in the end.

Jefferies has done well this season in the main. Still a few things I've not been happy with but hard to say too much when we are on such a good run of form.

I do however think we have a team capable of hitting a sticky patch and going a few games without winning at some stage and the way we react to this will be the biggest test for Jefferies.

This is absolutely spot on, as is what OAG says above. JJ is doing brilliantly right now, and long may it continue.

What still rankles with me about last season - and it rankles unreasonably, disproportionately and probably obsessively - is the timing of the change and the signal it seemed to send out (at the end of January!!!) that the season was over and it was all about the next season. In the space of eight days and three defeats, if I recall rightly, we went from being a team that was (at least notionally) in the hunt for a European place and in a cup semi-final to a team that had nothing to play for throughout February, March, April and May. The sad excuse for a performance against St Mirren at Fir Park in a competition I've never seen us win and the general "so what?" message it conveyed to the fans (and JJ's post-match comments certainly didn't help) were, in my view, shameful. I'm still angry.

Yes, I probably should get out more.

Haven`t got a clue how to beat mediocre teams? Lucked out? and the judgement of player bit in which you say hasn`t been disastrous AS YET? Are you expecting disaster, do you want that?

And who have we "lucked out" against? Is every game we win got to be perfect? Do you think you can go whole games not conceding at least a half chance against the opp or a bit possession? In how you play and go about your game is the main thing. The purpose, endeavour and willingness to go and create chances, defend well and win.

I really think you have a problem enjoying Hearts.

The Real Maroonblood

Haven`t got a clue how to beat mediocre teams? Lucked out? and the judgement of player bit in which you say hasn`t been disastrous AS YET? Are you expecting disaster, do you want that?

And who have we "lucked out" against? Is every game we win got to be perfect? Do you think you can go whole games not conceding at least a half chance against the opp or a bit possession? In how you play and go about your game is the main thing. The purpose, endeavour and willingness to go and create chances, defend well and win.

Fair comment.

Tactics - Jefferies has made it clear he wants the ball down and played wide where possible. Given our squad I think that's spot on. Defensively, I'd say he's getting it right. Midfield working like badgers to get the ball and let the creative ones do their bit. Am I missing something on this attack that folk seem to be launching on him? Yes, we let ourselves down badly in games against Well and Killie but that was because the players strayed from JJ's ethos i.e. hoofball crept in. Managers can lay it all out on a plate but if the players don't carry it out then what the hell can the manager do?

Players - He's hardly been in Mancini's position has he?? He's been allowed to bring in Stevenson, Kyle and Elliott. Kello and Zal both signed at his behest. Mrowiec and Skacel signed by the high heid yin. The first one has done well in patches but hit a bit of a dip in form. Kyle and Elliott both successes in my mind. The other two have stepped up their performances under JJ. Skacel and Mrowiec both successes and utilised well by JJ.

I just don't get the anti JJ brigade - bunch of fuds as far as I'm concerned.

Since Burley, we've done nothing but moan about the standard of incumbent. Now, one of our own gets the chance, does very well including guiding us to our best sequence of results since 05 and some folk still find place to criticise. Statler and Waldorf personified some of you.

I'm ****** a hoop and hope JJ stuffs it right up you for the rest of his tenure.

Tactics - Jefferies has made it clear he wants the ball down and played wide where possible. Given our squad I think that's spot on. Defensively, I'd say he's getting it right. Midfield working like badgers to get the ball and let the creative ones do their bit. Am I missing something on this attack that folk seem to be launching on him? Yes, we let ourselves down badly in games against Well and Killie but that was because the players strayed from JJ's ethos i.e. hoofball crept in. Managers can lay it all out on a plate but if the players don't carry it out then what the hell can the manager do?

Players - He's hardly been in Mancini's position has he?? He's been allowed to bring in Stevenson, Kyle and Elliott. Kello and Zal both signed at his behest. Mrowiec and Skacel signed by the high heid yin. The first one has done well in patches but hit a bit of a dip in form. Kyle and Elliott both successes in my mind. The other two have stepped up their performances under JJ. Skacel and Mrowiec both successes and utilised well by JJ.

I just don't get the anti JJ brigade - bunch of fuds as far as I'm concerned.

Since Burley, we've done nothing but moan about the standard of incumbent. Now, one of our own gets the chance, does very well including guiding us to our best sequence of results since 05 and some folk still find place to criticise. Statler and Waldorf personified some of you.

I'm ****** a hoop and hope JJ stuffs it right up you for the rest of his tenure.

Well said that man :thumbsup: and a :thumbsup: to The Real Maroonblood.

gorgie rd eh11

Appointing Jim Jefferies is the best thing Hearts have done for a long time. JJ, Billy Brown and Gary Locke might not have made a huge difference in terms of points gathering but it's much more enjoyable watching a team who look like they care whether we win or not.

Admittedly there is evidence that we do well against the smaller teams, three wins out of three against the hibs backs this up. :turned:

This is absolutely spot on, as is what OAG says above. JJ is doing brilliantly right now, and long may it continue.

What still rankles with me about last season - and it rankles unreasonably, disproportionately and probably obsessively - is the timing of the change and the signal it seemed to send out (at the end of January!!!) that the season was over and it was all about the next season. In the space of eight days and three defeats, if I recall rightly, we went from being a team that was (at least notionally) in the hunt for a European place and in a cup semi-final to a team that had nothing to play for throughout February, March, April and May. The sad excuse for a performance against St Mirren at Fir Park in a competition I've never seen us win and the general "so what?" message it conveyed to the fans (and JJ's post-match comments certainly didn't help) were, in my view, shameful. I'm still angry.

Yes, I probably should get out more.

I don't think there was any pre-meditation about when Laszlo was sacked, IIRC he simply went on one rant too many at the Friday press conference prior to the St Johnstone game back in January and pushed VR to the end of his patience. Laszlo basically spent the first half of last season in a petulant huff and his constant whoring of himself to other clubs coupled with his continual talking down of the young players at his disposal is what eventually led to his sacking.

As for JJ, I'm very pleased with how he is doing. The signings have been good, the man management has been excellent and the shape and play of the team has been good. Most importantly I feel like we are actually building a team at the club, probably for the first time since George Burley's tenure and this team feels like it is being built on far more sustainable lines.

There are still a few question marks over JJ for me. His tactical know-how and his judgement of a player to name but two that leap to mind.

Funny how people see things differently, I actually think JJ's judgement of a player is his best quality.

Funny how people see things differently, I actually think JJ's judgement of a player is his best quality.

Agreed, and as for his tactics, he actually sends teams out to win games!

We_are_the_Hearts

His appointment has also put the fax machine rumuors to bed for good!

Overall we are on the right tracks and the players are progressing more as individuals than they were under Csaba. The 2-0 defeat of Celtic recently was us beating them playing at a high tempo and taking control of the game. When we beat them under Csaba it was more because we killed the game and closed down space......not that I was complaining at the time :thumbsup: Csaba had his time, now it's JJs.

His appointment has also put the fax machine rumuors to bed for good!

So, it was JJ that decided to not play Goncalves and then Big Zal?

Anyway, that is just troll talk from me.

JJ is the right man at the moment, and hopefully he continues to deliver results.

This is his equivalent of the "95-96" building season. We'll get to a Cup FInal this year and lose. Templeton will be the star man in next year's League Cup Final (which we'll lose as well) and then finally we'll win the Big Cup again in two years time. Nap.

We_are_the_Hearts

So, it was JJ that decided to not play Goncalves and then Big Zal?

Anyway, that is just troll talk from me.

JJ is the right man at the moment, and hopefully he continues to deliver results.

This is his equivalent of the "95-96" building season. We'll get to a Cup FInal this year and lose. Templeton will be the star man in next year's League Cup Final (which we'll lose as well) and then finally we'll win the Big Cup again in two years time. Nap.

That is club policy on player contracts and is rightly out the managers hands. If you are not committed or know your future lies elsewhere then you will not play for the famous :thumbsup:

In an effort to balance the thread, Walter Kidd (the poster) is a great guy for Fifer.

Thanks mate. As for the pussy and Buffalo go stick a cocktail umbrella up your japseye and pull quickly.

Haven`t got a clue how to beat mediocre teams?

I am happy to list for you the mediocre teams Jefferies has lost to since he's been here, some of them this season.

Lucked out?

We lucked out against Celtic and St Johnstone recently IMO (one penalty that was given to us that clearly wasnt and one against that clearly was but wasnt given)

and the judgement of player bit in which you say hasn`t been disastrous AS YET? Are you expecting disaster, do you want that?

Where in my post, in fact in any post I have ever made, is there even the slightest suggestion that I want something to go wrong ? Jefferies has a history of "hit and miss" with his signings. Thats a fact.

Is every game we win got to be perfect?

Every win is perfect in terms of the actual result being good. If you are only interested in the hard statistic of the result then JJ isnt doing any better than Csaba was.

Do you think you can go whole games not conceding at least a half chance against the opp or a bit possession? In how you play and go about your game is the main thing. The purpose, endeavour and willingness to go and create chances, defend well and win.

In your desperation to give me it tight youve missed the part of my thread where I said that JJ was doing well at quite a few things.

I KNOW what your problem is, its pathetic, its childish, youve been doing it for way too long for an intelligent grown man, and its not going away.

There you go. Got it out of you. Everything has got to do with csaba and you did well to mask that in the post I criticised you on.(oag) really mate, what the feck has Hearts got to do to make you happy? You absolutely dissect everything till the point its a criticism of Hearts.

There you go. Got it out of you. Everything has got to do with csaba and you did well to mask that in the post I criticised you on.(oag) really mate, what the feck has Hearts got to do to make you happy? You absolutely dissect everything till the point its a criticism of Hearts.

I didnt think Csaba was the Messiah. I dont think Jefferies is the Messiah. I think Jefferies is proving better than I thought he'd be and Ive given him credit for it. I am delighted when we win and p1ssed off when we lose, especially when we lose to pish teams.

Is there anything in those thoughts which is even remotely controversial ?

Charlie-Brown

The only minor criticism I have of JJ this season is his use of substitutes or namely the 3rd sub and the lack of game time being afforded to some of the younger players namely the likes of McGowan, Glen, Novikovas, J.Stewart and Danny Thomson. It's great that we've been winning so many games recently, keeping clean sheets and everybody feels better again.

The only slight concern is that at some point this season either through injury or suspensions etc we are going to need some of these players or else be forced to use other guys out of position and in the absence of any reserve league not enough has been done to keep these guys ticking over with some competitive action even if that's only the last 10 or 15 mins of matches or a place on the 1st team subs bench. It's a small but important point and we should use every substitute opportunity in every game - especially when we are ahead in games - I understand that Stevenson & C.Elliot are frequently used to bring on for the likes of Skacel, Black or S.Elliot and that's fine as they are next in line but we should perhaps think about the 3rd sub more often and try to keep the squad ticking over if we don't want to be caught short of options in future games because the guys haven't played enough / or at all.

Good post OAG..

I have always said that Shabba's sacking was awful management.

Plus when he wanted a couple of front men he was refused, hardly his fault that he couldn't go out and play an attacking system

Ofcourse we are all happy that JJ came back and up until now has had no conflicts with Vlad but the same could be said of Shabba for a while aswell.

JJ has been given room for bringing in players with a few top earners leaving.

Yes we are obviously looking more dangerous going forward with the players he has now and with Rudi back and Temps having a purple patch everything appears rosy.

But the Motherwell and Kilmarnock humblings at Home are a reminder that we still need improvement in certain areas.

Good post OAG..

I have always said that Shabba's sacking was awful management.

Plus when he wanted a couple of front men he was refused, hardly his fault that he couldn't go out and play an attacking system

Ofcourse we are all happy that JJ came back and up until now has had no conflicts with Vlad but the same could be said of Shabba for a while aswell.

JJ has been given room for bringing in players with a few top earners leaving.

Yes we are obviously looking more dangerous going forward with the players he has now and with Rudi back and Temps having a purple patch everything appears rosy.

But the Motherwell and Kilmarnock humblings at Home are a reminder that we still need improvement in certain areas.

firstly, no one thinks Hearts are the finished article. Secondly, most Hearts fans felt for Csaba...but you know what? you move on...we`ve had better managers who have been and gone but a certain poster clearly can`t let that go and in turn has an agenda against JJ and will not accept him, it sticks out a mile....i find that truly bizarre and i think any normal Hearts fan would.

Maybe OAG shouted Csaba`s praises from the rooftops, proclaimed him as the saviour and then his nose was put out of joint and can`t accept it.

The constant nit picking even when things are good is unbearable. I`m not saying constructive criticism should stop even when winning, because its all about maintaining standards, but terming your team lucky when they`ve clearly deserved and earned their wins is hard to take. I don`t think OAG really understands football and how it works and it looks as though he/she has never been involved in anything competitive at any level in his/her life.(it seems)

If you can`t praise/enjoy/laud/ your side in victory, hold your hands up when you are wrong, then give it a miss. The snipers of the current management team are waiting in the shadows for that next defeat to have a cumfest over how "tactically naive" or how JJ got the subs wrong and this caused it. Mind you, it seems it doesn`t take defeat to get to that stage.

Archived