1 July 1916

Jack Alexander

Jack Alexander

Good evening, guys.

I know you're all distracted by the World Cup and Messrs Hartley, Bryson and Driver at the moment, but I wanted to remind everyone that Thursday sees the 94th Anniversary of the most important day in the history of Heart of Midlothian F.C.

Several players and several hundred supporters were killed or wounded in the ill-fated advance on Contalmaison on the Somme. The MB Trust will be in the village for our annual service of Remembrance - joined on this occasion by a number of lads from the Army Recovery Centre in Gilmerton, who have sustained recent injuries in Helmand.

I thought I'd start a wee thread for folk to leave their thoughts (if any) as we approach 1 July. It's been said by some fairly ignorant observers that Hearts fans imagine the club to be worthy of special consideration because of what happened in 1916. But the MB Trust and the Football Club have never lost sight of the fact that other clubs also lost players and supporters in substantial numbers.

The Hearts enlistment, however, was tragically unique. And the loss to the club (and to Edinburgh and the Lothians) as a result of 1/7/16 was correspondingly (and uniquely) severe. That's why the Haymarket Memorial (currently enjoying an unwanted and extended holiday) was built and that's why it's the only memorial of its kind in the world. HMFC doesn't require special consideration, but the players and supporters who joined up (and their grieving families) deserve undying respect from the whole of Scottish football (and beyond) for their bravery and sacrifice.

On Thursday, together with friends from Hibernian, Falkirk and Kirkcaldy, we will gather to remember Sir George and his boys. There will be no partisan triumphalism. (There never has been.) Just a restrained but fierce pride in the deeds of a bunch of lads from the east of Scotland ninety-four years ago.

The poem For the Fallen is well-known by those who attend such occasions. It was written by Lawrence Binyon in 1914. But the four familiar lines are only a small part of a much larger piece. The preceding verse might have been written for McCrae's - and so, on Thursday, we'll extend the recital:

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Yup just watched an episode of Scots at War included a piece on Heart of Midlothian players sacrifice in the great War.

davemclaren

My thoughts are that it was really moving to be there 2 years ago and lay a wreath. It's only when you see the size of the graveyards in Northern France, and how many of them there are, that the scale of the losses becomes apparent. We might not know it but all of us were, and are still, touched by what happened on that day and on the other days in WW1. I doubt any family avoided a loss of some sort.

jambos are go!

A sobering reminder of what sacrifice really means. And what it meant for the greatest HMFC generation. Its apalling to think that tens of thousands lost their lives on single days in the human butchery that passed for WW1.

A sobering reminder of what sacrifice really means. And what it meant for the greatest HMFC generation. Its apalling to think that tens of thousands lost their lives on single days in the human butchery that passed for WW1.

Very true mate, a total pointless war that took so many lives.

To the men who lie under

the fields of the somme

when the the whistle blows

fear not it calls not to war

but fitba the game

rest in peace boys

Rabbie_Burns

the deeds of a bunch of lads from the east of Scotland ninety-four years ago.[/i]

Hey Jack, what about the Irish and West of Scotland lads (Duncan Currie, Paddy Crossan etc) you told us about !?

Anyway, all the best with this years pilgramage and hopefully we can catch up again sometime soon !

RB

A controversial view perhaps, but an utter waste of young life, not constrained to MacRae's battalion. Having just conmpleted my dissertation on the literature of the first world war, inspired to do so by the Hearts connection, I am fiercely proud of the commitment made by the players and staff of our club.

If by some miracle someone is actually interested in reading my thoughts in the dissertation I'd be happy to share it. In the meantime I just want to say that my thoughts will always be with the millions of young lives wasted, and the visit to the battlefields is something I am still committed to doing.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's hard to think that I visited Contalmaison four years ago and places like Thiepval as well. My kids were obviously younger but I looked at them and thought how lucky I was to know and have them, when many of the men lying in those beautifully maintained graveyards never experienced similar joy, or left young families behind, never to see them again.

RIP.

Sometimes it is easy to forget the actual loss of life is just that, the loss of a life, no wife, children, career. The effect on friends and families, the loss. When all of that is multiplied 10,000 fold it just blows your mind. The death of one is a tragedy and the death of millions just a statistic. As a Hearts supporter I feel tremendous pride and sadness for the sacrifices made by our club and its supporters in the war which, sadly didn't end all wars. We must remember them.

It's been said by some fairly ignorant observers that Hearts fans imagine the club to be worthy of special consideration because of what happened in 1916. But the MB Trust and the Football Club have never lost sight of the fact that other clubs also lost players and supporters in substantial numbers.

The Hearts enlistment, however, was tragically unique. And the loss to the club (and to Edinburgh and the Lothians) as a result of 1/7/16 was correspondingly (and uniquely) severe. That's why the Haymarket Memorial (currently enjoying an unwanted and extended holiday) was built and that's why it's the only memorial of its kind in the world. HMFC doesn't require special consideration, but the players and supporters who joined up (and their grieving families) deserve undying respect from the whole of Scottish football (and beyond) for their bravery and sacrifice.

On Thursday, together with friends from Hibernian, Falkirk and Kirkcaldy, we will gather to remember Sir George and his boys. There will be no partisan triumphalism. (There never has been.) Just a restrained but fierce pride in the deeds of a bunch of lads from the east of Scotland ninety-four years ago.

Well said Jack.

I hope all goes well again this year.

Craig.

Well said Jack.

I hope all goes well again this year.

Craig.

Recently went on a trip with my class to the Menin Gate and WWI trenches in Ypres and they showed a fantastic level of respect and interest.

I think it would be a great idea gor hearts to take a group of youngsters (possibly from the u12s, u13s etc) on an annual trip over to Contalmaison to ensure those men are never forgotten. It would also instill both a sense of pride in the club and hopefully a sense of perspective which would decrease the chances of fame and fortune sending them off the rails.

Jack Alexander

Hey Jack, what about the Irish and West of Scotland lads (Duncan Currie, Paddy Crossan etc) you told us about !?

Anyway, all the best with this years pilgramage and hopefully we can catch up again sometime soon !

RB

Crossan was a Scot, RB, and Duncan was living in Westfield Road. I think this year's pilgrimage will be one of our best. And, unusually, we've already got reservations for 2011 - another 'weekend' trip. Thank you for the good wishes.

Photo of our four-star hotel attached for the curious.

post-1512-12776403924482_thumb.jpg

Recently went on a trip with my class to the Menin Gate and WWI trenches in Ypres and they showed a fantastic level of respect and interest.

I remember our school trip in 1992 to Ypres & parts of France.

Would appreciate it all a bit more now but the trip was extreemly moving.

I remember our school trip in 1992 to Ypres & parts of France.

Would appreciate it all a bit more now but the trip was extreemly moving.

I feared they might be a bit blase about it all but to be fair to them (considering they are only 12) they were very sombre and respectful.

Upon my Mother's death recently I only found out details about my Grandfather's war record when I was clearing her belongings.

My grandfather was in the Royal Scots a lance sergeant who was at Gallipoli and the Somme. It's amazing that he survived two

of the worst battles in British history. Although he was wounded I'm not sure where.

Best wishes to all going to France.

Good evening, guys.

I know you're all distracted by the World Cup and Messrs Hartley, Bryson and Driver at the moment, but I wanted to remind everyone that Thursday sees the 94th Anniversary of the most important day in the history of Heart of Midlothian F.C.

Several players and several hundred supporters were killed or wounded in the ill-fated advance on Contalmaison on the Somme. The MB Trust will be in the village for our annual service of Remembrance - joined on this occasion by a number of lads from the Army Recovery Centre in Gilmerton, who have sustained recent injuries in Helmand.

I thought I'd start a wee thread for folk to leave their thoughts (if any) as we approach 1 July. It's been said by some fairly ignorant observers that Hearts fans imagine the club to be worthy of special consideration because of what happened in 1916. But the MB Trust and the Football Club have never lost sight of the fact that other clubs also lost players and supporters in substantial numbers.

The poem For the Fallen is well-known by those who attend such occasions. It was written by Lawrence Binyon in 1914. But the four familiar lines are only a small part of a much larger piece. The preceding verse might have been written for McCrae's - and so, on Thursday, we'll extend the recital:

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;

They fell with their faces to the foe.

me teh

They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.

We will remember them.

Who are these people Jack, name and shame them.

I think it says it all about this country and "these people "when it lauds applause and congratulations on two people holding hands whilst wearing rival strips, or friends promising to wear each others football tops purely because of the west coast teams they support and the baggage that comes with it! Either way, all the best of luck for everyone going over, hope the trip is a huge success.

A controversial view perhaps, but an utter waste of young life, not constrained to MacRae's battalion. Having just conmpleted my dissertation on the literature of the first world war, inspired to do so by the Hearts connection, I am fiercely proud of the commitment made by the players and staff of our club.

If by some miracle someone is actually interested in reading my thoughts in the dissertation I'd be happy to share it. In the meantime I just want to say that my thoughts will always be with the millions of young lives wasted, and the visit to the battlefields is something I am still committed to doing.

Would like to read that if you post it.

I feared they might be a bit blase about it all but to be fair to them (considering they are only 12) they were very sombre and respectful.

That?s good to hear as the direct link between the generations is all but gone now. I always felt it was easier for people of my and previous generations to learn and be interested in as we had that direct link to both wars with, fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers.

With the advancements in modern media reporting from the frontline of wars around the world, children must be taught about the tactical stupidity, cultural/class divisions and sheer level of loss from the Great War.

gorgie_rebel

Always filled with a mixture of enormous sadness and enormous pride when I think of the "Hearts" lads who fought in France but also for all the men from both sides who suffered or died in such a horrible conflict.

Have recently found out through my Dad that my Grandfather (who died before I was born) also fought at the somme and while doing some research, have found out that his battalion, The 31st Royal Field Artillary and others in the RFA under the banner of the 7/8th divisions provided shell cover for the infantry at

La Boisselle, Mametz and Contalmaison.

All heroes to a man in my eyes.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

We will remember them.

RIP lads

Teuchterjambo

There are always defining moments in the history of any organisation and there is no doubt that the 1st of July 1916 was a defining moment in the history of the Heart of Midothian Football Club - that in no way detracts from the contribution and sacrifice made by the supporters and players from other clubs, it is the lead that was taken by those courageous players, a lead that inspired so many others to follow that makes the connection to our club unique. I am sure that in the crisis of battle there was never a moment when anyone reflected on the team they were aligned to, they would all have been glad to have someone stand by their side whether they were Hearts or Hibs or Raith Rovers or anyone else would have been of no consequence and many men from different backgrounds met their destiny as they say simply "comrades in arms".

History is something that we appreciate more as we grow older maybe because we appreciate we have had the privilege of growing older. a privelege that was not afforded to many of these brave men. I really believe that the younger generation will continue to revere and respect the deeds of these men for as long as we all pass down the story and the legend and it is the duty of all of us to ensure that happens.

It was all but lost for so many until Jack Alexander so brilliantly brought it all back in Macrae's battalion - thank you Jack.

Rabbie_Burns

Photo of our four-star hotel attached for the curious.

Hopefully they'll have it finished in time for your visit !?!

Still probably be better than that motel by the big retail park outside Lens Noyelles... :whistling:

Craig Herbertson

In Memoriam (Easter, 1915)

The flowers left thick at nightfall in the wood

This Eastertide call into mind the men,

Now far from home, who, with their sweethearts, should

Have gathered them and will do never again.

Edward Thomas 1878 - 1917

gerryjambo41

Upon my Mother's death recently I only found out details about my Grandfather's war record when I was clearing her belongings.

My grandfather was in the Royal Scots a lance sergeant who was at Gallipoli and the Somme. It's amazing that he survived two

of the worst battles in British history. Although he was wounded I'm not sure where.

Similar position to me my dad passed away in April and my Grandad's WW1 medals passed on to me as his oldest Grandson , one of which was the 1914/15 star which I believe means he was there the first year of the war . He also fought at Gallipoli and managed to come home without a scratch , when you realise the scale of the casualties he was a very lucky man.

I've not managed to go to Contalmaison yet but it's definitely something I hope to do in the future best wishes to all going

scots civil war

`Early next morning we were ordered to move forward from the ruins of Albert,and after a hurried breakfast we started out for the Tara-Usna ridge,about a mile up the Albert-Bapaume road.This was our position of assembly pending further instructions,and there we stood all day in the rain watching the extraordinary scene near the top of that ridge,which was like some vast crowded fairground.To the left and right,and behind,the landscape was dotted with bivouacs and dumps,horse-lines and gun batteries,cookers,and watercarts,all mixed up with waiting infantry and gunners and cooks hard at work.Right in the midst of all this medley,French 75`s were yapping like a million mad dogs,while the heavies added to the din,and British aeroplanes roared close overhead.As we watched,prisoners trudged by in large batches all looking dirty and dazed;parties of wounded toiled slowly towards the dressing stations,some limping along,others inert on stretchers,borne tenderly by germans and tommies alike;a demented British officer darted by,hatless,waving his arms and shouting something that none of us understood;and then a shell burst on a dump to the left,sending up a great spout of flames and smoke and flying fragments.This,we realised, was the Battle of the Somme,and as day passed into evening we knew that some dreadful experience awaited us and thousands of others following on behind`

This was the scene that greeted my grandfathers battalion,the 13th Rifle Brigade,prior to taking over trenches from,or very near to anyway, mcCraes battalion a few days after 1 July 1916...it paints a vivid picture of the chaos of the battle

So long ago,but we shall never forget their sacrifice.

have a superb experience all of you lot going,wish i was going......

Fraggle - It's over 9000 words and only really managed to fit in one mention of the Hearts lads, so not sure I could really justify posting it on here, it would rival a certain Englishman at his drawn-out best. If you are really interested then I can definately sort something out via e-mail.

Thanks to Jack for posting this, and all the best with the trip and the ceremony on Thursday.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to mention two things to members.

First of all, members will be represented - albeit indirectly - on Thursday in Contalmaison, as there will be a JKB wreath among those laid at the cairn.

Secondly, while the events of 1 July 1916 and their significance for the history of HMFC are on your minds, you might want to reflect for a moment about the McCrae's Battalion Trust and the work it does. The aims of the Trust are:

• To ensure the long-term care of the Contalmaison Cairn.
  • To maintain and honour the memory of McCrae's Battalion.
  • To organise commemorative and educational pilgrimages to the Western Front.
  • To promote the spirit of friendship between the people of Edinburgh and the Somme.

You can read more about the Trust and about McCrae's Battalion at the link below. The Trust is a charitable organisation, and does its work on a shoestring budget, so members might like to make a donation to the Trust to help with its efforts. The link has details of how you can donate.

http://www.likeyoudo...wmc/appeal.html

Great thread, these guys would be number 1 in my top 10 reasons that I'm proud to be a Hearts fan. Well done for making sure they're never forgotten.

Got emailed a picture of the wreath laying from a military-named poster. :whistling: Looked very impressive.

RIP.

Hearts Heritage

I just finished watching the TV adaption of "Testament of Youth" which is Vera Britten's autobiography. Tells the story of the loss from her point of view, she lost 3 close friends and her brother as well as serving as a nurse.

The big disconnect between home and at the front eg her parents complaining about lack of quality servants being available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O VALIANT HEARTS

o valiant hearts who to your glory came

throught dust of conflict and through battle flame

tranquil you lie your knightly virtue proved

your memory hallowed in the land you loved

to the men who fought for our wee fitba team

1916071201.jpg

1916072501.jpg

1916081101.jpg

Excellent stuff! Brings the reality home. It is possible to understand Curries fathers thoughts as he sent that telegram. And Briggs lying wounded in head, arm and throat and may require an operation! Reports like this would have numbered thousands at that time, and all areas would be affected.

Lt Chard VC

I was there on 1st July last year, it was a birthday present from my wife spending 3 days in the area based in Albert. My Gt Grandad L/Cpl 23067 Charles Stuart was killed on 22/7/16 whilst attached to 9th Royal Scots during one of the many assaults on the infamous High Wood. His body was never found. I attended the Contalmaison ceremony and was lucky to meet Jack at the 3 Pigeons in Albert as when I showed him the photograph I had with me it opened up a can of worms as my Gt Grandad was on a horse yet was in the Infantry at time of death and may not have been him after all, this resulted in a lot of research umpteen visits to Edinburgh Central Library, letters to Royal Scots and Army museums and I was about to give up almost 5 months later when Ancestry.co.uk released 'new' records which had been retrieved after being damaged by bombing in WW2 I discovered that he had infact joined the RS Greys to be with his brothers I saw that his RSG number was amended to show his new RS number!(letters as well from recruiting officer saying so and what a great guy he was) and was stationed at Dunbar 1914-15 was promoted to L/Cpl and joined 12th RS. I even discovered from the records that he was shot in the neck on the opening day of the Battle of Loos in 1915 and sent home on a hospital ship before returning to France in 1916, I think he had only been with the 8th a few days before being killed by German machine gunners.

Thanks to Jack giving me an almighty nudge I have learned much, much, more than the family story handed down over the years about my brave ancestor who having been seriously wounded returned to the Theatre of War. I often wonder what must have been going through his mind as he bravely walked over the field towards the High Wood and I am grateful I have been at this location to pay my respects. His name is on the Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval and his photograph and brief history is now included in the computer information at the Visitors Centre.

Sorry went on a bit but he deserves a mention on this special day.

Tried to upload photo but cant seem to do it.

davemclaren

As I said earlier I doubt there were many families left untouched by the First World War. I was on the Contalmaison trip 2 years ago and Jack kindly arranged for an unplanned stop at Thiepval so I could make a personal pilgrimage. My great uncle was killed in WW1 and, as far as I'm aware, I am the only relative/descendant ever to have visited and see his name on the memorial. It was very moving to spend some time there and think of someone in your family who you would likely have known had he not died fighting for his country.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=803532

Must have been in at the same time as my uncle. My uncle the story goes was also on the train involved in the Gretna disaster. He also was s sergeant.

I recently saw a helicopter flight on TV where it flew over the sites of WW1 and 2 graves. The thought of so many young lives lot is beyond the minds ability to really absorb. WE sometimes think in terms of large crowds, say in a World Cup stadium. When you think of some of the big WW1 battles every living soul in that stadium would have been wiped out in a matter of hours. When you further consider that what we see as an average Hearts game crowd that number could be wiped out in a matter of a few hours and the losses be considered as acceptable.

I watch a show on the history channel where a team of archeologists research some of the battlefields and trenches. Often remains are discovered, when you see some of the memorials for those with no known graves the expanse of the cemeteries if these men were buried in them would almost double.

It was a terrible loss of life, I am not sure it was a waste as such, but it did save our way of life for at least a period of time. Where it was a waste was the fact that no one has accepted that war is the worst way to settle differences.However as it is rare for those who decide to go to war to ever be held accountable for their decision to go to war, it will for a long time be seen as the answer.

Well done to all who keep us reminded about this important part of our club and nation's history. Thanks Jack.

Always the first thing I tell anyone who shows any interest in our club. As you said - important to remember it wasn't just Hearts though and ptide should never be mistaken for one-upmanship.

I can't wait till the day I make it to Northern France and there'll be a tear in the eye when i do.

I was there on 1st July last year, it was a birthday present from my wife spending 3 days in the area based in Albert. My Gt Grandad L/Cpl 23067 Charles Stuart was killed on 22/7/16 whilst attached to 9th Royal Scots during one of the many assaults on the infamous High Wood. His body was never found. I attended the Contalmaison ceremony and was lucky to meet Jack at the 3 Pigeons in Albert as when I showed him the photograph I had with me it opened up a can of worms as my Gt Grandad was on a horse yet was in the Infantry at time of death and may not have been him after all, this resulted in a lot of research umpteen visits to Edinburgh Central Library, letters to Royal Scots and Army museums and I was about to give up almost 5 months later when Ancestry.co.uk released 'new' records which had been retrieved after being damaged by bombing in WW2 I discovered that he had infact joined the RS Greys to be with his brothers I saw that his RSG number was amended to show his new RS number!(letters as well from recruiting officer saying so and what a great guy he was) and was stationed at Dunbar 1914-15 was promoted to L/Cpl and joined 12th RS. I even discovered from the records that he was shot in the neck on the opening day of the Battle of Loos in 1915 and sent home on a hospital ship before returning to France in 1916, I think he had only been with the 8th a few days before being killed by German machine gunners.

Thanks to Jack giving me an almighty nudge I have learned much, much, more than the family story handed down over the years about my brave ancestor who having been seriously wounded returned to the Theatre of War. I often wonder what must have been going through his mind as he bravely walked over the field towards the High Wood and I am grateful I have been at this location to pay my respects. His name is on the Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval and his photograph and brief history is now included in the computer information at the Visitors Centre.

Sorry went on a bit but he deserves a mention on this special day.

Tried to upload photo but cant seem to do it.

Having been in the three pigeons last year and seen how crestfallen you were after talking to Jack I don't want to use the word glad in respect of you finding out the information but it seems your gt Grandad , like so many at the time, was immensely brave and stoic in a way that I find hard to relate to only 2 generations removed. I have been on the trip a few times now and am really sorry not to be there this year but highly recommend it to everybody as something to do at least once

Must have been in at the same time as my uncle. My uncle the story goes was also on the train involved in the Gretna disaster. He also was s sergeant.

If your interested, Lyn MacDonald has a good report of this accident in her book, '1915.' Well worth a read.

4pyxxh.jpg

Hearts Heritage

If your interested, Lyn MacDonald has a good report of this accident in her book, '1915.' Well worth a read.

You can read contemporary reports here

1915052202.jpg

1915052203.jpg

Archived