McLaughlin signs for Sunderland ( updated )

Tenor

Tough one - he will be getting 

6 minutes ago, Bainy said:

Get the impression for him its more about life experiences and going and seeing new places rather than footballing security so I am sure this will appeal to him.

cant say I know much about the football over there but would imagine the weather will be a lot nicer - not so bad if your a goalie and not running around for 90 minutes.

I think its more about the money to be honest - and I cant blame him for it, he's worked his way up from non league football and made a career for himself.  In 4/5 years he wont be able to command a wage anywhere like he can now and still has to provide for his family for another 40-50+ years so I can totally understand his move.

Good luck to him and thanks for his service. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Juanjo15

• Maroon Sailor

• SwindonJambo

It's been obvious all he cares about is chasing one last big pay cheque, getting in the Scotland squad and trying to progress his career isn't a priority to him.  

Can't blame him really, done nothing his entire career and if someone wants to throw money at him I can't blame him for taking it.

Thanks for helping us get a 6th place finish Jon.  Goodbye. 

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Pagey said:

And his wife couldn't settle in Edinburgh.........

My thoughts exactly, good luck settling out there hen :lol: 

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Money before career type move 

This. Good luck to him.

Ibrahim Tall
2 hours ago, Daveandal said:

It would be a great move for any Scottish player.

Big club with big ambitions in a great city. Also any other nationality and it would enhance his international prospects it's just a shame we have dinosaurs running our national game.

"Any other nationality"? :laugh:

You think a English, French, Polish, Czech, Russian, Ukrainian, Croat, Serbian, Greek, Turkish etc player would suddenly become a starter based on moving to Azerbaijan?

Qarabag have more money and would more than likely beat Hearts but let's not pretend their domestic league is a 'top' standard one. 

56 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I would love to bet paid to go and play football and live in a foreign country, even somewhere "a bit out there" like Azerbaijan.  If I could drop my job, and get paid more money to move out there and work in a similar job, I would do it in an instant. 

Good luck to him, Quarabag regularly are in the Europa League group stages, and even got to the Champions League groups recently. To say it's a step down doesn't really hold much water as he'll get experiences there he wouldn't get with us. 

Great post. 

His name is

Plenty of blinkered folk on here turning their noses up as qarabag aren't a household name. 

They qualified for the champions league group stages last year and are in the qualifiers this year. 

Certainly a step up from us and shouldn't hinder his international chances.

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

I think its more about the money to be honest - and I cant blame him for it, he's worked his way up from non league football and made a career for himself.  In 4/5 years he wont be able to command a wage anywhere like he can now and still has to provide for his family for another 40-50+ years so I can totally understand his move.

Meh, he will live higher on the hog for a few years, but after taxes etc. he'll have to earn like the rest of us.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, YHD Jambo said:

Be like living in Mayfield with some goat sh?((ing thrown in ?

Correct, Jamie. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Barack said:

Where did that: "His wife wants to stay in England" yarn, sprout from...?

I dont think I was the only one to hear it but someone who works at the club told me that after the last derby. Might’ve just been an excuse as that was his likely destination. Money talks though and he might come back here after two years.

Just now, His name is said:

Plenty of blinkered folk on here turning their noses up as qarabag aren't a household name. 

They qualified for the champions league group stages last year and are in the qualifiers this year. 

Certainly a step up from us and shouldn't hinder his international chances.

Agree with this.

Quarabag are playing regularly in group stages of European tournaments so plenty chance for Scotland manager to follow his progress.

We wouldn't be able to offer anything near the money he will get from them.

The family don't even have to go with him just the same as guys in the forces and people who work abroad.

If he is prepared to make the sacrifices could set himself up for the future.

AlphonseCapone

Plenty ignorance on this thread. 

Good luck to the guy, served us for as long as he was meant to and done a great job. Now will earn a great chunk of cash, play in Europe and live in a very interesting city with a lot of history.

That's modern football, not like everyone who comes here should fall in love and get a Gorgie Rulez tattoo. 

Phil Dunphy

Folk saying playing for a club who regularly play in the Champions League is some sort of step down from playing Hamilton or Kilmarnock. 

:cornette:

The Internet
58 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Folk saying playing for a club who regularly play in the Champions League is some sort of step down from playing Hamilton or Kilmarnock. 

:lol:

How's big Eck meant to keep track of him if he's no playing in the English championship? 

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, Barack said:

Where did that: "His wife wants to stay in England" yarn, sprout from...?

Remember years ago Boston Red Sox pitcher Roger Clemens not signing a new Contract as he wanted to play closer to his  home in Texas. Fair enough.

He then signed for Toronto. ?

14 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:lol:

How's big Eck meant to keep track of him if he's no playing in the English championship? 

Youtube....no you,the media .

5 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Ha ha f’ing ha!

Enjoy that Jon! 

What could have been!

If serious, don't get it

An excellent move in many aspects, enjoy John 

Good luck to the guy, he had an outstanding season with us. 

Ps, prospective employers -I would happily quadruple my wages & move to a foreign country. :)

He Who Cannot Be Named
4 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Maybe he'll go on his own. Get 3 or 4 visits back and forth per season. Earn a fortune in the meantime. Made for life.

The wife would be at it for sure.

Ibrahim Tall
3 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

what sort of money they throwing about to players in that league? English premier or championship ?

Championship wage, Premiership lifestyle.

PeterintheRain
5 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

He and his wife could always go out and work instead of screwing the fans.  I certainly can blame him for it.  The greed and self entitlement of professional sportspersons is exactly the same as the greed and self entitlement of the bankers who wrecked the economy.  "It's a short career so we have to make as much money as we can".  If it's wrong in one case then it's wrong in every case.   Stop being an apologist for the people shitting on you.     

10 years of austerity and pay freezes for us but they still have to get millions a year or they'll go off and play in an Islamic Dictatorship.  There's no defence for that atitude. He can **** the **** off.

rudi must stay

Would be a good move. Not amazing, doubt he'd be near the Scotland team with them. But a great move financially

10 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

He and his wife could always go out and work instead of screwing the fans.  I certainly can blame him for it.  The greed and self entitlement of professional sportspersons is exactly the same as the greed and self entitlement of the bankers who wrecked the economy.  "It's a short career so we have to make as much money as we can".  If it's wrong in one case then it's wrong in every case.   Stop being an apologist for the people shitting on you.     

10 years of austerity and pay freezes for us but they still have to get millions a year or they'll go off and play in an Islamic Dictatorship.  There's no defence for that atitude. He can **** the **** off.

:rofl:

WALOFS.

tartofmidlothian

If you'd told him when he turned thirty last September that he still had a Scotland cap and a well-paid move to a team playing in Europe ahead of him, he probably would have laughed at you. Fair play to the guy, even if I wanted him to stay.

It should have been ten

If his missus couldn’t settle in Edinburgh then good luck to her in Azerbaijan :rolleyes:

Dalstonjambo
43 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

Hahahaha.

Do you want the wages of a lifetime? 
Nah i'm going to go and work in a call centre after i retire so some angry people on a messageboard don't get annoyed at me. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Tenor said:

It looks like McLaughlin may be off to Azerbaijan - Qarabag have offered him a "lucrative two-year deal."

Not exactly the move down south he was after, but good luck to him.

His wife will be happy that he will be staying in England.

Weren’t they in the champions league this year? Seem to remember them against atletico in the group stage? 

Good of luck to him. 

6 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

"Any other nationality"? :laugh:

You think a English, French, Polish, Czech, Russian, Ukrainian, Croat, Serbian, Greek, Turkish etc player would suddenly become a starter based on moving to Azerbaijan?

Qarabag have more money and would more than likely beat Hearts but let's not pretend their domestic league is a 'top' standard one. 

Not a sudden starter but if you think Poland, Ukraine, Czech Rep, Russia, Ukraine, Croatia, Serbia or Greece would dismiss a player for moving there you are wrong IMO.

England and France are slightly different but considering they have capped players who play in Scotland why not?

Turkey for historic reasons could be different, I don't know.

We mock other leagues in Scotland even when its clear they are at least on a par with ours

18Jambo_dave74

I'd rather see a Scottish player make a move like this then go to the likes of Barnsley, Burton, Wigan, Milwall etc. I don't think enough of our players challenge themselves abroad.

I'm maybe in the minority but I think this would be a good move for McLaughlin if the story is indeed true. Obviously there are financial benefits (nothing wrong with that) but he'd be going to a team that regularly wins their league and has competed in either the champions league or europa league group stages in recent seasons. Other than the fact that McLeish is an idiot and there has always been an old firm bias, I don't see how this potential move would prevent him winning further caps. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

:rofl:

And what are you gainfully employed as Peter?

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Homme said:

If he could last a couple of years out there it would set his family up well.

He probably wasn’t expecting such an offer would be mad not to consider it.

Also, Baku is lovely.

Is Baku not a star wars city? 

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

Good luck to the guy, its a short career and he should make the most of it and fill his boots. He was not going to get a move to a trophy winning team anyway, so absolute no brainer if the money is right.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

The sentiment is true, but Jon making a move to a different nation is a bit of a random example. 

Rees mog, May's husband, Davis etc all making money from tax havens and using public money to boost thier share prices of companies they have shares in would be a better example along with selling the bank shares at a loss , if slightly off topic. 

Jon Needs to do the best financially for himself. 

Thanks and goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

gorgie rd eh11
3 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

:clown:

11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If his Mrs couldn’t settle in Edinburgh, HTF will she cope with the arse end of nowhere?

Good luck Jon M.

"Arse end of nowhere" ??

Do you work for the Foreign Office?

Brilliant.