Iconic 78 shirt for pre order

Maroon Sailor

9 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

I'm very disappointed at not being able to buy one of these tops.

I doubt anyone who has been lucky enough to get one would begrudge a further batch being made available.

I would.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Treasurer
13 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Iconic seems to be out PR/ marketing  people's favourite word. A forty year old shirt design associated with no great football achievements (rather the opposite). Iconic? Jubilee? Overlapping with our ongoing celebration of an actual great achievement (iconic event in Hearts PR speak) 10 years later it seems a bit OTT to me. For as someone has said for £2500 or so.

I think the teaser approach to marketing is also a bit tacky and certainly overdone .

I'm truly shocked and stunned that FA has only negative things to say about something that the club are doing. Shocked and stunned I tell ya.

Just tried to order.

None left :sob:

Absolute Nap they’ll make more available... 

shhhhhirley? 

I'm surprised they produced so few as there's a huge market for retro football tops. I hope they produce more, although they specifically marketed as limited edition, with presentation boxes and certificates (which seems a bit OTT for a replica top to me). 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, stotty said:

I'm surprised they produced so few as there's a huge market for retro football tops. I hope they produce more, although they specifically marketed as limited edition, with presentation boxes and certificates (which seems a bit OTT for a replica top to me). 

Can't understand what is behind only producing 500 shirts. Good marketing ? Get in quick type of thing.

42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can't understand what is behind only producing 500 shirts. Good marketing ? Get in quick type of thing.

Limited edition adds an appeal imo, makes it a collectors item. 

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Texia said:

Limited edition adds an appeal imo, makes it a collectors item. 

I think they should have put it out there like a subscription i.e Anybody that wants one orders it by a set time with the proviso these will not be available after the deadline.

This way it was first come first served and a lot of people didn't get the chance

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think they should have put it out there like a subscription i.e Anybody that wants one orders it by a set time with the proviso these will not be available after the deadline.

This way it was first come first served and a lot of people didn't get the chance

:spoton:

Pretty shan to announce it with no notice that it was going to be a limited edition. 

Not everyone has a spare £50 to squander at such short notice either. 

15 hours ago, redjambo said:

I don't know if it's just me but the photo on the website looks a mite unnatural - as if some thin-waisted person had used steroids to over-bulk their shoulders and chest area. Do people actually have bodies like that? :)

9ded3c52011e14403b1e0737737cb9ec.png

Looks an ideal fit for me :lol:

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm truly shocked and stunned that FA has only negative things to say about something that the club are doing. Shocked and stunned I tell ya.

It's thoroughly depressing how he takes a negative stance on practically every Hearts matter.

It's a cracker of a top, if I had £50 spare I'd have snapped one up (or at least tried). Fair play to those who got one.

It would be great if they released a couple each year but with an increase in availability. Even to 1,500 - 2,000. I'm sure they'd still go quickly.

36 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

:spoton:

Pretty shan to announce it with no notice that it was going to be a limited edition. 

Not everyone has a spare £50 to squander at such short notice either. 

It it was pretty clear it was limited edition and was on the collateral and the launch message

6 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Selling 500 in 24 hours is a great bit of trade.

They could have easily sold 1500/2000 in the same time.

Any added value to the shirts due to its exclusivity does not go back to the club, only the owners of that exclusivity.

They have underestimated the number of old farts still living that actually remember the team playing in that brilliant strip.

IIRC The Scotland strip at the time was very similar with the diamonds down the sleeve.

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It it was pretty clear it was limited edition and was on the collateral and the launch message

That’s the thing though.  It was just launched immediately.  If you happened to

not be near a computer at the time/day you will have missed out. 

It should have been displayed, then a date and time given for sales so everyone had a fair chance.  

Never got a top myself, but once the club say that it's restricted to 500 tops, it would be unfair on those that rushed out to get one if the club then released another batch.

Trust would be gone for any future limited edition strips, and could affect future sales.

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, JamboJay said:

They could have easily sold 1500/2000 in the same time.

Any added value to the shirts due to its exclusivity does not go back to the club, only the owners of that exclusivity.

They have underestimated the number of old farts still living that actually remember the team playing in that brilliant strip.

IIRC The Scotland strip at the time was very similar with the diamonds down the sleeve.

The only difference being the Scotland strip had the solid diamonds, unlike our doubles.

CY34017580.jpg

Another classic.

4 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

That’s the thing though.  It was just launched immediately.  If you happened to

not be near a computer at the time/day you will have missed out. 

It should have been displayed, then a date and time given for sales so everyone had a fair chance.  

The delay wasn't long but there was a bit of time between the teaser and the launch.

I saw the teaser in the early afternoon and then bought it around 6pm after thinking about it.

2 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

Never got a top myself, but once the club say that it's restricted to 500 tops, it would be unfair on those that rushed out to get one if the club then released another batch.

Trust would be gone for any future limited edition strips, and could affect future sales.

I ordered one and would not be concerned in the slightest if the Club released more.

...a bit disco

Juventus released theirs this season. 1897 were issued.

At 190 Euros a pop!

500 tops at £50 is £25,000. Don’t know what Hearts get percentage wise but it’s still good money. I missed out like others so hope they release another batch.  Make it limited to 1874 and not 500

sunblestjambo
23 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I ordered one and would not be concerned in the slightest if the Club released more.

Same.  

3 hours ago, stotty said:

It is.   Still bought it though, and it might be a way round the limited edition thing, if they release more without the box and certificate.  

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That is actually a pretty good idea. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

Selling 500 in 24 hours is a great bit of trade.

Was less than 10 hours

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

What was so outstanding about the '78 season that makes this top so special?

Beat Aberdeen away, Celtic at home and Hibs away in consecutive weeks.

It's not about the season it's about the shirt - iconic to us who were kids at the time

That collar was very much HMFC in the late 50's and 60's  - other Clubs went down that design route in the late 70's including Scotland.

Great strip but not sure why we have tagged on '1978' as some sort of 'commemoration'.

Next year IS a big commemoration year, so I hope they re-release that iconic white 1998 cup winning strip - now THAT would be worth having!!

1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

Spread the happiness.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

1st top to feature the badge. 

Diadora Van Basten

I think they should bring out another retro top say 84 or 86 but not release more of the 78 unless it was the away.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Nothing we were very poor then just as well there was no internet. Just happens to be forty years ago , nearly.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

The delay wasn't long but there was a bit of time between the teaser and the launch.

I saw the teaser in the early afternoon and then bought it around 6pm after thinking about it.

Same day is not much of a delay for people who are not online all the time.  

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Same day is not much of a delay for people who are not online all the time.  

I didn't even know there was a teaser !

15 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Limited edition just a phrase to make you think you must buy now! And it works pretty well, sure they will produce another 500 or 1000 if demand is there - makes no sense to turn away business for both Umbro and Hearts and have unhappy fans!

Can't really agree with that about the term Limited Edition just being a phrase.

While I fully understand that some less than ethical sales practices are used by others to sell various items to the public, I don't feel Hearts can get involved with that and retain their integrity at the same time.

Furthermore, any future Limited Edition sales would be viewed with a fair bit of scepticism , and rightly so.

Hearts are better than that.

If it were me, I'd put this one to bed, but I'd learn from it and would consider marketing the away strip and increase the Limited Edition size.

Edit: .... and I wasn't one of the lucky ones to be able to get this strip before it sold out.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Can't really agree with that about the term Limited Edition just being a phrase.

While I fully understand that some less than ethical sales practices are used by others to sell various items to the public, I don't feel Hearts can get involved with that and retain their integrity at the same time.

Furthermore, any future Limited Edition sales would be viewed with a fair bit of scepticism , and rightly so.

If it were me, I'd put this one to bed, but I'd learn from it and would consider marketing the away strip and increase the Limited Edition size.

I think Umbro / The club may have badly underestimated the popularity of this shirt and there is no harm in supplying more shirts 

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

I think Umbro / The club may have badly underestimated the popularity of this shirt and there is no harm in supplying more shirts 

Ethically there is as the 500 sold had been marketed as Limited Edition.

Plenty scope for Hearts to repeat the process with other iconic shirts if they want to try to raise more funds.

6 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Edit: .... and I wasn't one of the lucky ones to be able to get this strip before it sold out.

The original posting from Hearts on the website is now gone but my interpretation of Limited edition was that there will be a certain number produced, i.e 5000 could be the final figure, would still be limited edition.  If they worded it saying there is only 500 and no more being produced then there is grounds to be pee'd off. 

3 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

The original posting from Hearts on the website is now gone but my interpretation of Limited edition was that there will be a certain number produced, i.e 5000 could be the final figure, would still be limited edition.  If they worded it saying there is only 500 and no more being produced then there is grounds to be pee'd off. 

As I recall it said 500 on the posting bud, each boxed and numbered with a COA.

That implies that this would be the Limited Edition capacity.

3 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Completely agree with this assessment.

I don't remember reading it was strictly limited to 500 editions (may be wrong, but that's not how I remember it).

Personally, I'm not motivated by achieving some sort of "I've got one and you don't" kind of status. I understand some people are like this.  

11 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Everything is limited edition in that way though.

That said, I wouldn't care if they released more in the slightest

I didn't buy one and wouldn't mind at all if the club released more ;)

At an age where player issue and match worn tops in a nice frame on a wall are the only use I have for football kits lol

Different Class
9 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Completely agree with this assessment.

I don't remember reading it was strictly limited to 500 editions (may be wrong, but that's not how I remember it).

Personally, I'm not motivated by achieving some sort of "I've got one and you don't" kind of status. I understand some people are like this.  

It did say 500

Archived