Car damage advice

Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin

Went out to my car earlier to discover that one of my neighbors has knocked my wing mirror off as well as scratching both my drivers door and rear passenger door plus but a small dent in the drivers door . He's admitted he did it getting his caravan past in the street so that's not a problem however I've not had to deal with anything like this before so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best place around the Bonnyrigg area to get the car fixed . Will need a new wing mirror as well as some respraying and also the dent removed.

Stewie Griffin

Smart tech in loanhead are excellent for spray painting repairs

Thanks, might be a silly question but I take it they would be able to replace the wing mirror as well

Stewie Griffin

Your insurance company will probably tell you where to go.

Depending on the cost my neighbor is going to pay cash to get the work done

Ricardo Shillyshally

Depending on the cost my neighbor is going to pay cash to get the work done

Go through your insurance. It will probably cost more to fix than you think and your neighbour will most likely baulk at the price. That's why people have insurance in the first place.

Go through your insurance. It will probably cost more to fix than you think and your neighbour will most likely baulk at the price. That's why people have insurance in the first place.

I agree.

Ricardo Shillyshally

Thanks for the advice it's the first time I've had to deal with something like this

I've seen it loads of times. Usually ends badly.

Insurance is the way to go.

If you do it through your insurance you will have no outlay, clearly your neigbour is at fault and he, or his insurance will have to pay. In the event his premium goes up more than the cost of teh repair he will have the option to "buy" the repair thus it won;t affect his no claims.

Taking it through the inusrnace takes all the personal side out of it, and there is no comeback on you later.

3fingersreid

Thanks, might be a silly question but I take it they would be able to replace the wing mirror as well

I've only had paint work done but I'd guess they would , can't fault their work and they're Jambos .

If you do go thru insurance , make sure you get a letter of no fault claim as it might impact on your renewal next year

Ricardo Shillyshally

Your insurance goes up too. As a non-fault claim.

It gets noted down as another postcode statistic, and despite the fact it wasn't you to blame, underwriters look at risk, and will look at trends.

If you say you've been in an accident through no fault of your own, then they factor in at some stage you'll be in one that IS your fault.

Same applies with speeding. Going on a course makes no difference to insurance premiums staying the same, or going down.

If you've been caught once, chances are you'll be caught again, and premiums are adjusted to factor those risks to insurers. Take the points every time (unless you're on 9.)

Post code. Most important deciding factor. No accidents? Doesn't matter. Mr Smith next door had one, so all shall suffer.

If the damage is severe enough I'd still go with insurance and an approved repairer. Just don't be shocked if the premium the following year is up. Taking into account they're rising year on year anyway.

In summary, you need to tell your insurer the truth.

Op don't be swayed by sensationalism.

Something that might happen is less relevant than getting the problem solved in the here and now

Ricardo Shillyshally

Shocking customer service.

Lol

You are not obliged to use an approved repairer. A lot of them will direct you to Nationwide in Loanhead who are useless.

Archived