Herald : Regan must go

jambovambo

A lame duck who defers to the OF sycophants in the offices around him as well as the boardrooms around the country. One of many who need launched.

Finally. Ive been wondering when the finger might eventually be pointed at Ragan. We can moan about players, about Strachan and about squad choice but the custodians of our game are who put the manager in place and subsequently the choices he makes.

Regan is in charge of the organisation that looks after our game from the ground up all the way to the top and he has to take responsibility. 

He has presided over the Rangers fiasco, the reorganisation of our leagues that was designed to increase income and competition - but hasn't, presided over 5 campaigns of failure for Scotland, presided over lost Performance Directors that will cost our game more in the future. 

He is unfit.

Rudolf's Mate

Only 4 years too late...

Agreed. Hopefully this is just the start and other media outlets start calling for his head.

The problems are bigger. Fair enough the person 'in charge' can make an impact. But my understanding is its a self perpetuating Committee structure.

I read that Strachan is away on holiday to Portugal to consider his future before a meeting with his bosses on Friday.

He should in front of his bosses this morning being given his jotters.

About time, seems a bit like a diversion to save darling Gordon though.

It's a diversion from why we're not producing good players

We can replace Regan as many times as we like, he isn't the only fundamental flaw in the system. If we don't take a serious step back and go "this whole things doesn't work", then we will continue to decline. We are on the verge of slipping into absolute nothingness across our full game. Too many clubs playing in our leagues. Too many divisions for the size of our country. Too much focus on the big two. Sadly and I hate to agree with him, too much focus on winning and being big and strong at grass roots. Not enough fan engagement. Not enough entertainment on offer. Too much reliance on TV money, fans put last on the list of priorities over TV money. Media heavily biased towards one town and two teams. Our whole "punditry" is filled with people only focused on the success of the big two.

We need revolt and revolution. We do not need reset and backwards thinking. Jim Duffy is or has been seriously mentioned as a replacement for Strachan. If that doesn't scare the rest of Scottish football into acting, am not sure what would.

We_are_the_Hearts

Scrap the PY system and go back to just club football with players training with pro teams as extra. We are producing namby pamby players who lack character and are not streetwise enough. Its sometomes as if they dont even mind losing. They lack the competive edge to succeed at top flight footy

Scrap the PY system and go back to just club football with players training with pro teams as extra. We are producing namby pamby players who lack character and are not streetwise enough. Its sometomes as if they dont even mind losing. They lack the competive edge to succeed at top flight footy

I work in pro youth football, I can tell you that at my club it certainly isn't acceptable to lose, as for playing with clubs, the level of boys club football has dropped significantly over the last decade, there needs to be a root and branch approach to the whole process.....sadly I don't see any appetite higher up for this to happen . I foresee a papering over the cracks with strachan going and being replaced

Prince Buaben

Biggest mistake was getting rid of Mark Wotte

Did tey get of him or did he say **** it im no working with these morons 

Regal Kingston

Regan never picked Grant Hanley.

We've heard that out game is on its knees for years and have done nothing about it.

Time to have a clear out.

It would be good to have a committee with Scotland prominent football players, coaches, ex-players, journalists, chair people etc to find a solution to take us forward.

We_are_the_Hearts

I work in pro youth football, I can tell you that at my club it certainly isn't acceptable to lose, as for playing with clubs, the level of boys club football has dropped significantly over the last decade, there needs to be a root and branch approach to the whole process.....sadly I don't see any appetite higher up for this to happen . I foresee a papering over the cracks with strachan going and being replaced

Club football has dropped because of the bloated PY system. Too many kids in it. I dont see it changing, too many people in the system with a personal interest. I think playing for cups, leagues, etc from 13-15 yo is really important in a players development. Give them the competitive experience and build character.

Club football has dropped because of the bloated PY system. Too many kids in it. I dont see it changing, too many people in the system with a personal interest. I think playing for cups, leagues, etc from 13-15 yo is really important in a players development. Give them the competitive experience and build character.

Totally agree with that comment regarding cups etc. My one big issue to be honest, we will never produce hungry players without introducing some sort of competitive football. On the other hand we do a good job of motivating these players to do well and push on , however I do agree that with a prize at the end of the season this could be pushed on further

...a bit disco

rangers or celtic must have given the nod on this....

Lawell, you would think.

The power behind the throne.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Far beyond one man. A system but also a government that has no pride. Mrs Budge identified immediately Scottish football is clearly defined by self interest

It's only loyalty that is preventing huge numbers of fans turning their back on the game.

How healthy is a league where one team has a larger budget that all the other 11 put together (as has been for the last 4 seasons prior to this one)? How healthy is it for Scottish football that that team go out and buy up the best Scottish players of the other teams (Armstrong, Christie and GMS) and give them only limited game time?

Scottish football needs a root and branch overhaul. Radical thinking is required but I'd start with

1. Get rid of ALL the current incumbents at the SFA who are milking Scottish football dry and providing nothing in return.

2. Gate money being split 60/40 (yes, this would hurt HMFC but would hurt the erse cheeks more)

3. A maximum number of non-scots in each team.

4. Hold Celtic and Sevco to account every time they moan about 'lack of competition' or talk about going to England or joining another league. They should be hit with a disrepute charge and fine every time they do this.

It's a diversion from why we're not producing good players

Debatable, we're not producing superstars but we're capable of picking ?40-50m worth of forwards in our squad and theirs plenty of countries doing better than Scotland who would love to do that. Northern Ireland in particular.

Mismanagement at all levels is what's killing us.

We_are_the_Hearts

Totally agree with that comment regarding cups etc. My one big issue to be honest, we will never produce hungry players without introducing some sort of competitive football. On the other hand we do a good job of motivating these players to do well and push on , however I do agree that with a prize at the end of the season this could be pushed on further

Yeah its a shame as some kids will sign at 10, get releasedat 16 and have never played a competitive game in their life. Best to drastically reduce the numbers in PY and get more good kids playing competitive club football. Make PY more elitist

We_are_the_Hearts

I also noticed in the recent school boys squad over half of them go to a performamce school, not the best kids may i add. Would hope these ps kids arent being fast tracked. Sounds really lazy to.me

Yeah its a shame as some kids will sign at 10, get releasedat 16 and have never played a competitive game in their life. Best to drastically reduce the numbers in PY and get more good kids playing competitive club football. Make PY more elitist

I can only speak about my club but we have 5 teams throughout and use a limited number of players, we are always playing players up a level in order to maximise their potential without playing competitive games . But it's something that definitely needs to be looked at

Its a start, but whoever eventually gets the job better be an outside the box appointment with no ties to the gruesome twosome. 

Creep probably won't quit though, shameless.

Scottish football as a whole needs completely overhauled. The SFA and Spfl need to become one. The league set up needs changed with two divisions for full time pro clubs only. and a pyramid system underneath.

No more plastic pitches or half built stadiums. Get a product that's worth selling. I'd get Barry Hearn in to run the show with intelligent business and football guys around him.

The game needs cash to succeed and that is never going to happen with the current boards running the game.

We are never going to change the old firm/celtic dominance unless the other clubs get a fair chance to build sensibly and the governing bodies allow it.

There's far more receptive boards in place at clubs these days who will be able to accept in order to move forward we require change now.

Scottish football as a whole needs completely overhauled. The SFA and Spfl need to become one. The league set up needs changed with two divisions for full time pro clubs only. and a pyramid system underneath.

No more plastic pitches or half built stadiums. Get a product that's worth selling. I'd get Barry Hearn in to run the show with intelligent business and football guys around him.

The game needs cash to succeed and that is never going to happen with the current boards running the game.

We are never going to change the old firm/celtic dominance unless the other clubs get a fair chance to build sensibly and the governing bodies allow it.

There's far more receptive boards in place at clubs these days who will be able to accept in order to move forward we require change now.

Absolutely

Fair play to the daily record their front page is the same.

Calling for the blazers in charge to be sacked.

They would want Kris Boyd in charge though.

Son Of Anarchy

:spoton:

Herald laying into the SFA today, Daily Record doing the same.

Kris Boyd's column in The Sun having a go at the SFA and blaming the state of the national team on them placing Rangers in the bottom tier (wtf? - Boyd is a muppet).

Only one common thing here - the timing. Sounds like Level5 up to mischief and media manipulation...

Good post.

Scottish football is riddled with many many problems, many of which aren't an easy fix.

I do believe that the removal of both Regan and Doncaster would be steps in the right direction. Neither of those characters get pass marks in their respective roles.

alwaysthereinspirit

Agreed. Hopefully this is just the start and other media outlets start calling for his head.

Unfortunately its not a one headed snake. To guillotine only his head would do nothing for the game in Scotland. We need a complete spring cleaning. Top to bottom.

All roads lead to Gorgie

We need serious changes in our game as future players need people to look up to and the malaise that has been allowed to set in over decades has largely put a stop to any quality role models. I'm sure Wales has a lot of young Bales eager to follow in his footsteps whilst it is difficult to pick a single Scottish player that could have a similar influence. The mediocre journeymen players that fill our Leagues are an indicator of the failings of our governing bodies and Regan and Doncaster have to take a responsibility for that !

Rudolf's Mate

Unfortunately its not a one headed snake. To guillotine only his head would do nothing for the game in Scotland. We need a complete spring cleaning. Top to bottom.

Couldn't agree more. I actually said as much on another thread though he'd be a good start.

itsnomarooned

The story goes (I'm told) that the German FA had a hairy fit after the National team were beaten, somewhat ironically, by Scotland and this was the catalyst for an overhaul of their system.  I'll confess I know little of the before and after of German football but my impression is that there's a general goal at Club level in seeing the National team succeed as this in turn is to the benefit of their entire game.  I also read a story of Bayern giving a large no strings loan to another German top flight club who were in some financial difficulty.  The idea being that should a bigger club (I have a feeling it might have been Dortmund) be in trouble then that could adversely affect the whole game.

That's the difficulty here I think and the unusual situation for football.  Football is a business (like it or not) but the normal business model just doesn't work as it's an imperative that all your competitors are strong and you can't just crush them and become a monopoly.  I just don't think that anyone here would look to the bigger picture and accept that perhaps their club just doesn't fit into a strong Scottish football structure and model.  There's just far too much self-interest at all levels and until there's a more altruistic and holistic approach we're going nowhere.

We can replace Regan as many times as we like, he isn't the only fundamental flaw in the system. If we don't take a serious step back and go "this whole things doesn't work", then we will continue to decline. We are on the verge of slipping into absolute nothingness across our full game. Too many clubs playing in our leagues. Too many divisions for the size of our country. Too much focus on the big two. Sadly and I hate to agree with him, too much focus on winning and being big and strong at grass roots. Not enough fan engagement. Not enough entertainment on offer. Too much reliance on TV money, fans put last on the list of priorities over TV money. Media heavily biased towards one town and two teams. Our whole "punditry" is filled with people only focused on the success of the big two.

We need revolt and revolution. We do not need reset and backwards thinking. Jim Duffy is or has been seriously mentioned as a replacement for Strachan. If that doesn't scare the rest of Scottish football into acting, am not sure what would.

I'm fairly sure there were the same amount of clubs when we were regularly qualifying for world cups back in the 70's, 80's & 90's.

Good post.

Scottish football is riddled with many many problems, many of which aren't an easy fix.

I do believe that the removal of both Regan and Doncaster would be steps in the right direction. Neither of those characters get pass marks in their respective roles.

It has to start at the very top, then a clear out all the way down.

If Celtic truly believe that the poor standard of opposition is stifling their chances in Europe then they should get behind a serious campaign to force a complete overhaul. Only with them spearheading it would anything significant happen. All other clubs can campaign but unless the big dogs agree then it's pissing in the wind. Rangers I think would follow suit if they believed it would increase their chance of catching their bum chums before they hit ten titles in a row....such is their priorities.

We may have to allow Hibs back into a top league but hey ho a small price to pay to actually get a product we can all enjoy again.

The the general apathy around the national team tells you everything you need to know.

The story goes (I'm told) that the German FA had a hairy fit after the National team were beaten, somewhat ironically, by Scotland and this was the catalyst for an overhaul of their system.  I'll confess I know little of the before and after of German football but my impression is that there's a general goal at Club level in seeing the National team succeed as this in turn is to the benefit of their entire game.  I also read a story of Bayern giving a large no strings loan to another German top flight club who were in some financial difficulty.  The idea being that should a bigger club (I have a feeling it might have been Dortmund) be in trouble then that could adversely affect the whole game.

That's the difficulty here I think and the unusual situation for football.  Football is a business (like it or not) but the normal business model just doesn't work as it's an imperative that all your competitors are strong and you can't just crush them and become a monopoly.  I just don't think that anyone here would look to the bigger picture and accept that perhaps their club just doesn't fit into a strong Scottish football structure and model.  There's just far too much self-interest at all levels and until there's a more altruistic and holistic approach we're going nowhere.

Believe it was Dortmund who Bayern loaned the money to.

There's a book on my list to read that details what German football did to restructure it's self called 'Das Reboot'. Supposed to be very good.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

On plastic pitches, Iceland success could in part be attributable to the availability of such facilities, without them less people can play

Lord Beni of Gorgie

On plastic pitches, Iceland success could in part be attributable to the availability of such facilities, without them less people can play

Nelly Terraces

Totally agree with every word of this.

That's fine for Iceland. But who are they competing with not the EPL that's for sure.

Plastic pitches are ok for training facilities and youth games etc but as a professional league it should be grass.

I accept this is a cost and that's my point about a cash injection. Create a product worth watching and the money will arrive into the game. Our governing body have a duty of care to the game, instead they have neglected it, downplayed it and struggled for sponsorship.

The tartan army are just cash cows to the SFA who have now started to abuse their loyalty and they also need to make a stand.

A collective up surge of discontent needs to happen and I'm delighted the papers have started to make a noise. We have to demand real change and look at other successful nation to see how they achieved it. It's no longer about football, the game is a multi million pound business these days and we need the right people to treat it as such.

We are a standing joke now and that's unacceptable. England just don't recognise us as competition any longer and their clubs have cart blanc to buy talent for buttons whenever they feel like it.

The irish nations and the welsh all fancy us in their groups. Yes we do t have the players but unless we stand up now it'll only get worse and we as paying customers to both clubs and country cannot allow that to happen or we will continue to pay top dollar for substandard product.

One of the mistakes we make in any analysis of Scottish football is constantly comparing ourselves to other nations. We just don't compare.

I cannot think of any other nation that per head of population supports its football as well as we do, yet has two massive clubs that abuse their dominant position to suck everything they can out of the game at the expense of all else. 

I read that Strachan is away on holiday to Portugal to consider his future before a meeting with his bosses on Friday.

He should in front of his bosses this morning being given his jotters.

He should resign, and apologise to all Scots for not giving a t*ss.

Creepy little gimp.

When he goes he could maybe take Petrie with him.

Ok we're biased but the petrie point is a good one. This is a guy who sees failure as a success so long as the books are balanced and who has been responsible for the massive decline of hibs to their present position. He should be nowhere near any sort of position of responsibility for scottish football as a whole.

Archived