Edinburgh New Year stories

Jambothump

Looking for some stories about New Year traditions from the past. i.e when and why(probably 'cos it had a clock) was the Tron chosen as the place to see the New Year in prior to the Prices Street event.

How and did they, David Hume and his mates, celebrate the New Year.

Did we start celebrating the New Year in 1582 with the introduction of the Gregorian calender. How did that work then ? googled The Julian calendar day Thursday, 4 October 1582 was followed by the first day of the Gregorian calendar, Friday, 15 October 1582 (the cycle of weekdays was not affected). Ha ha, some folk get confused when the clocks change by 1 hour.

Stories need have validation, hope JKB can help for this project TIA

Looking for some stories about New Year traditions from the past. i.e when and why(probably 'cos it had a clock) was the Tron chosen as the place to see the New Year in prior to the Prices Street event.

How and did they, David Hume and his mates, celebrate the New Year.

Did we start celebrating the New Year in 1582 with the introduction of the Gregorian calender. How did that work then ? googled The Julian calendar day Thursday, 4 October 1582 was followed by the first day of the Gregorian calendar, Friday, 15 October 1582 (the cycle of weekdays was not affected). Ha ha, some folk get confused when the clocks change by 1 hour.

Stories need have validation, hope JKB can help for this project TIA

I once pished in the lifts of a prominent edinburgh hotel thinking it was the toilets.

I was of the understanding that it was us scots that gave the world new year as we know it today.

From foggy memory I seem to recall that the new year was celebrated in spring (makes sense really, new life new year etc) but we just said **** it lets celebrate it in the middle of winter.

I wrote off a brand new pair of adidas trim-trabs on the slushy-mud-booze-pish soaked streets of the tron in about 1985. Mental swaying crowd and flying bottles. Needless to say I went back every year till things moved to the mound. Went to the first mound thing too but had learned to wear old shoes by then!

I was of the understanding that it was us scots that gave the world new year as we know it today.

From foggy memory I seem to recall that the new year was celebrated in spring (makes sense really, new life new year etc) but we just said **** it lets celebrate it in the middle of winter.

That fits with my ethos, that we celebrate new beginnings, New Year, Weddings, some of these no doubt will have pagan origin, but from the 10th century on we were a very religious people, some would say pious. Celebrations of New Year may have been an escape from the strictures of the religion we followed after the reformation, there's a thought why we do it ?

Many of the questioning minds of the enlightenment period were famously atheist, did they introduce the modern celebration of New Year as an answer to the religious celebration of a week previously.

I realise these statements contradict one another for reasoning, can anyone "enlighten" me ?

At the Tron for NY in the mid to late 60s when my mate decided to take a bet that he couldn't drink a half bottle of whisky in one go! Well he did but the consequences for him were horrendous! He was OK for about 15 mins but then stared spewing violently, mostly over himself but catching a few others close by. He then went into a drunken stupor only interrupted by more bouts of spewing. We couldn't get a cab because none would take him and we eventually got him home to his house on Leith Links where we left him with his parents. He was ill for nearly a week and his suit had to be dry cleaned twice. He hardly ever drank after that experience.

I once pished in the lifts of a prominent edinburgh hotel thinking it was the toilets.

This could very well lead to a thread of its own......Hotels and erroneous pishing in thereof.

It's been tradition for as long as anyone can remember for Heart of Midlothian to beat Hibernian at football every new year.

Err...no January 1973 certainly fecked up my New Year (my first of legal drinking). After the game back to my Nana's to face the relentless slagging of all my Hibbie uncles. Thankfully things have improved a bit since then.

Archived