McCrae's Battalion Centenary, 28 November 2014

Ulysses

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Son Of Anarchy

Got 3 tickets and really looking forward to this.

Just thought I would post this to get it back on page 1,

Good bump. Would be a real shame if it doesn't sell out. Really looking forward to it.

Good bump. Would be a real shame if it doesn't sell out. Really looking forward to it.

Yep definitely. Great causes will benefit.

More info :

McCrae's Battalion

Friday 28 November | 7.30pm

On Friday 27 November 1914 a grand public meeting was held in the Usher Hall to inaugurate Lieutenant Colonel Sir George McCrae?s new Active Service battalion of the Royal Scots. By midnight three hundred volunteers had stepped forward ? among them thirteen players from Heart of Midlothian Football Club and fellow professionals from Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Hibernian, Dunfermline and East Fife. Sportsmen and supporters from countless other fields joined them and within five days the roll was full. Scotland?s sporting battalion went on to win undying fame on the killing fields of the Western Front, carrying Edinburgh?s name with pride and distinction, but at a terrible cost. More than a thousand officers and other ranks perished in the war. Many of them ? including most of the Hearts players ? have no known grave.

On Friday 28 November 2014, exactly one hundred years to the night, the City of Edinburgh will remember McCrae?s Battalion with an evening of music, drama, song and contemporary images. The distinguished actor Ken Stott has kindly offered his services as narrator and will lead the audience through the history of the battalion. All profits will be divided between the military charities, Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland.

Full price adult ?19.14

Concession ?15.00

Child ?10.00

Adult and Child combination ticket ?25.00

Off topic but related: 

This was such an amazing part of our History, someone should make a feature film of the Fighting McRae's Battalion, from the early days of the Battalion for example the 27th November 14, 

to after the Somme,

with of course, Hearts and other Edinburgh features.    But I don't know who can write the script.  It largely writes itself in historical terms of course, but to dramatise it.  I won't ask Mr Welsh, for obvious reasons.  I'm not quite up to it myself.. but someone could be.   

There are a cluster of seats in the grand circle but you need to scroll to the right to see  them. Filling up fast and looking forward to what will be a great night. Buy a ticket if you haven't already got one.

There are a cluster of seats in the grand circle but you need to scroll to the right to see  them. Filling up fast and looking forward to what will be a great night. Buy a ticket if you haven't already got one.

Tried to do a dot count.

I do not want to be added to any dot counters lists!!!!!

Tickets only being sold in the Stalls and Grand Circle

Capacity       Free       Sold

Stalls                        958              173         785

Grand Circle             431                89         342

Total                        1389              262         1127

Upper Circle (N/A)    797

Grand total              2186

scott herbertson

Tried to do a dot count.

I'm telling Clerry Jambo on you

Good to see it seems to be heading towards a sell out - looking forward to it

Me too, just not sure how many people are aware of it so worth trying to bring it to as many people's attention as possible. Would be good if Scott Wilson could maybe make reference to this occasion before the game or at half time tomorrow.

from what I have seen and heard there will be no problem for your daughter other than coping with the sadness of the story

Thanks brownkg, I was presuming by the fact there is no age restriction or advisories on the tickets that it would be ok. 

I hope my niece enjoys it.

:tiny:

Thanks brownkg, I was presuming by the fact there is no age restriction or advisories on the tickets that it would be ok. 

I hope my niece enjoys it.

:tiny:

sorry for the assumption re your neice, looking forward to a great day on Friday

Tried to do a dot count.

Just had a wee bash at an update on sales:-

Stalls                        958              129         829

Grand Circle             431                69         362

Total                        1389              198       1191

So another 60 odd seats sold.

We've been asked to say that the Upper Circle has been opened due to the demand for tickets.  Upper Circle prices are ?10 adult and ?5 concession.

Son Of Anarchy

We've been asked to say that the Upper Circle has been opened due to the demand for tickets. Upper Circle prices are ?10 adult and ?5 concession.

Great news. More the merrier.

Bump this friday  the place to be

We've been asked to say that the Upper Circle has been opened due to the demand for tickets.  Upper Circle prices are ?10 adult and ?5 concession.

Had a little looks at how sales going and I am a combination of pleasantly surprised but also intrigued re the HUGE up take in sales.

From the Upper Circle not being on sale until yesterday to only 45 tickets left according to the Usher Hall site.

Was Upper not put up for public sale as seats were already reserved for patrons / UH seasons ticket holder etc?

Anyway, if the UH ticket site is correct, there is going to have around 2000 in attendance.

Stalls                        958              121         837

Grand Circle             431                68         363

Upper Circle             797                45         752

Total                        2186              234       1952

scott herbertson

I think only the front middle of the grand circle has been put on sale - presumably the best seats

Son Of Anarchy

This is going to be a real tearjerker, I hope I'm not the only one greetin like a big bairn.

Forward planning mate. I've been telling the family I have conjunctivitis all week so that's me covered for friday just in case ;)

Every thing is in place for a fantastic evening,the Actors /musicians ,choir,bands have all been working very hard. It;s going to be great .And,tickets are still available,for some reason un-sold seats in Upper Circle are showing as sold,if you are intending buying a ticket today it might be better to pop into the box office.

Dalkeith Jambo

Up town with my daughter having a bite to eat then heading off to this. Really looking forward to it.

Son Of Anarchy

Wonderful night, very emotional especially when the picture of our fallen relative appeared on the big screen. Fantastic night. Well done all.

Really enjoyed it....right from the children's choir at the start it had a lovely community feel about it...very fitting!!!

Nice to see so many of the Hearts family there including Ann, Robbie and Scott Wilson. Also lovely to see David Southern as well as a fair few over from Dunfermline Athletic.

I am sure there were many more but they were the ones I spotted.

I really enjoyed the new compositions but for me the real show stopper was Hearts of Glory along with the military band...what a response inside the hall!

Well done to everyone behind this tonight...you did us proud!!!!

Great to see it. I had a guy near me who spent half the show on his phone and shouted "mon the Hibs" just as Hearts of Glory started. Not sure why he went to it. Anyway, thought it went very well and Hearts of Glory was great as usual.

Nice to see so many of the Hearts family there including Ann, Robbie and Scott Wilson. Also lovely to see David Southern as well as a fair few over from Dunfermline Athletic.

Eric Hogg and Scott Gardiner were with Ann. John Hill was with Robbie and I also saw Baron George of Cumnock and Pilmar Smith in the same area. 

Super tribute. Tops the children choir with a very poignant song to start, the Somewhere in France' signature song and Hearts of Glory at the finish that built and built to an emotional finale.

Really enjoyed it....right from the children's choir at the start it had a lovely community feel about it...very fitting!!!

I am sure there were many more but they were the ones I spotted.

I really enjoyed the new compositions but for me the real show stopper was Hearts of Glory along with the military band...what a response inside the hall!

Well done to everyone behind this tonight...you did us proud!!!!

Raith Rovers were represented by Chief Executive Eric Drysdale as were Falkirk by Chairman Martin Ritchie.

Really enjoyable night with the extract from McRae's address to the crowd, pretty much one hundred years to the day, a highlight for me.

I hope to be able to buy a cd of those songs too, Waverley and You (with photos of our beautiful city in the background) and Somewhere in France were particularly deserving of a wider audience.

Congratulations to all involved.

Can only echo what others have said. A truly memorable evening. A familiar sad story, beautifully told from a new perspective through some genuinely stunning music.

Jack Alexander, take a bow for that writing.

The bands and vocalists were excellent.

Craig Herbertson, take a bow for stealing the show again at the close.

Really enjoyed tonight - very dignified and well done show - have to say though how talented is Jack Alexander - wrote the script and the songs - then sang them in a superb voice - looking forward to the CD

Archived