90's Trainers

Benzinho

The 90's. Surely the golden era for trainers?

I went to high school from 1990 - 1996. An era when stories of people getting jumped for the trainers they wore were plenty, such was the desire to have the right trainers.

I remember having Travel Fox, Air Jordan and Adidas Torsion amongst others in the first few years, then moved on to more retro trainers like Gazelle's and Puma Suede's when the whole Britpop thing kicked off. Others I remember from the time were Pump and ERS from Reebok, the ubiquitous Nike Air Max and then British Knights, Troop and SPX in the very early 90's.

At the other end of the scale, woe betide anyone who comitted the social suicide of having a pair of Hi-Tec Silver Shadow, or worst of all Nicks hi-tops.

So, what was everyone else cutting about in in the 90's? Anyone ever get jumped for the trainers they wore? Anyone willing to admit to wearing Hi-Tec or Nicks?

Actual air bubble = :sweeet:

They solid imitation efforts = :muggy:

Forgot about pumps, with the wee valve on the tongue. What was that all about?

Actual air bubble = :sweeet:

They solid imitation efforts = :muggy:

Forgot about pumps, with the wee valve on the tongue. What was that all about?

Aye, total gimmick. Plus the ERS (energy return system for the uninitiated) turned out to just be 3 plastic tubes that you could easily remove.

Went to high school at the same time as you.

First pair of 'decent' trainers I had was a pair of Reeboks. Then over the years had, various pair on Nikes including Jordons and Max 95s. Also had an Andre Agassi Nike trainer that was multi coloured at the back. Had a couple of pairs of Reebok pump and I think I had one pair of LA Gear - the ones with multi laces. Then as I got a bit older in school, Mizuno seemed to be popular so had a pair of them too. By end of school was wearing Fred Perry trainers thinking I was in Oasis!!!

Still love my trainers, especially Nike but more likely to wear Pegasus 83s now rather than Max.

My nephew is 11 and it's funny seeing him grow up as it's all about trainers for him too now. However his age seem to want Nike Hiratchi which look terrible.

Adidas Stefen Edberg with the Torsion bar, thought i was the pups nuts.

Two neds tried to get them off me enroute to my after school job, They didn't succeed, outran the scummy ******* in my Steffie Eddies

Adidas trim-trab. Or what ever they were called, my memory isn't what it once was. Although I remember writing mine off at the

Tron in 1986.

Nike Air, and Adidas. I just copied my older brother, as it seemed a safe way not to get abuse at school!

Did Panam trainers survive into the 90's by the way?!

They sure did. A girl in my year at school had a pair which were christened 'Panam Air' by someone in an example of extremely bad taste teenage humour (not me I might add).

Loved my Nike Air Andre Agassis. Also had a pair of Reebok Pump Omni-Lites :look:

I remember CICA being another no go in the playground around 1991.

You'd get a kickin for wearing gola too

What's worse is Gola were being packaged as some sort of cool retro brand recently. Those of us who grew up in the 90's know better though.

Air Jordan's, Reebok Pump Cross Trainers, Air Max & Adidas Superstars latterly.

Although I did once sport a pair of Nike Air Hirachi's. :(

Air Jordan's, Reebok Pump Cross Trainers, Air Max & Adidas Superstars latterly.

Although I did once sport a pair of Nike Air Hirachi's. :(

Huarache. :toff:

Everybody loves Baz

1-puma-rx-727-0000-trainerhead-kicks-box.jpg

Had a pair of these 727's

2-adidas-mega-torsion-rvi-2011-static-kicks-box.jpg

Had these Mega Torsion I think they were called ?

I also had a pair of Nike Air Max with a mountain like pattern over the bubbles but I'm buggered if I can find a picture, or even remember the name ?

Huarache. :toff:

Cheers fella, I just remember after buying them and wearing them twice I realised they were utter shite. :(

Floyd Snr told me where to go when I asked for more cash for another pair as these ones were shite, ended up saving up and buying another pair myself and then the old prick started wearing them himself.

:seething:

I also had a pair of Nike Air Max with a mountain like pattern over the bubbles but I'm buggered if I can find a picture, or even remember the name ?

I really wanted a pair of those torsion when I was younger but my parents couldn't afford them. :sad:

Loved my Nike Air Andre Agassis. Also had a pair of Reebok Pump Omni-Lites :look:

I remember CICA being another no go in the playground around 1991.

Got the agassi's one xmas,loved them. Remember troop trainers?

Jambof3tornado

The 90's. Surely the golden era for trainers?

I went to high school from 1990 - 1996. An era when stories of people getting jumped for the trainers they wore were plenty, such was the desire to have the right trainers.

I remember having Travel Fox, Air Jordan and Adidas Torsion amongst others in the first few years, then moved on to more retro trainers like Gazelle's and Puma Suede's when the whole Britpop thing kicked off. Others I remember from the time were Pump and ERS from Reebok, the ubiquitous Nike Air Max and then British Knights, Troop and SPX in the very early 90's.

At the other end of the scale, woe betide anyone who comitted the social suicide of having a pair of Hi-Tec Silver Shadow, or worst of all Nicks hi-tops.

So, what was everyone else cutting about in in the 90's? Anyone ever get jumped for the trainers they wore? Anyone willing to admit to wearing Hi-Tec or Nicks?

Hi tec silver shadows. The trainer of choice for me as an RAF new recruit (issued as part of a lovely pt kit).

As a primary school kid in the early 90's it was puma king or preditor mouldies. Late primary school it was kickers shoes. They really weren't cut out for the lunchtime football. By high school I think I was pretty loyal to whatever adidas had out at the time. I don't even think I own a pair of gutties now apart from my running shoes and football boots but they don't count.

I seem to remember the must not have guttie of the time were hi-techs and dunlops. Although I then had a pair of dunlops in my late teens.

jambos are go!

Hi tec silver shadows. The trainer of choice for me as an RAF new recruit (issued as part of a lovely pt kit).

Me to. Read a Which Report saying they were as good as any and less than half the price. Never regretted the purchase. Social suicide has never been a matter of life and death to me.

Say What Again

Some of the pics posted here have to have been mid to late 90s. They look positively acceptable.

Like the OP I possessed Travel Fox, Troop, and BKs. They were monstrosities compared to some of the efforts posted here.

Remember PanAms too. I'm sure they were sold in Poundstretcher which really didn't help.

The Gola comment was spot in too. Another source of ridicule at school but (done well) rebranded as Old Skool retro and 'cool'.

I started of with my first 'make' of trainers in about 1987 with Hi-Tec Squash,then Mustang.Progressed to Diadora Seb Coe,then Adidas Tango Bogata,then Samba's.I also had they Puma 727 that was posted earlier. Still like my footwear, have about 40 pairs of trainers at the moment.

Bridge of Djoum

Loved my travel fox.

travelfox3.jpg

Also the Torsion range, and a couple of the Adidas ZX series.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Had the Nike Air Max And tried out those Puma disc bad boys... They were alright untill the actual discs fell apart then you couldn't tighten them up again :lol:

singleroad2004-img600x400-1400087971hedrda24379.jpg

I don't think mine were the exact same as the above but they were white with yellow and black in it.

I had those Torsion God they look horrendous now.Think those were the most expensive out of all the Torsion range.

Huraches are total shit.

They look ok but they have that bizarre inner sock thing.

Absolute nightmare to put on and take off.

Lobey Dosser

I have quite a big nose.

I made the mistake of buying a pair of British Knights trainers for school.

I should have seen the nickname coming: Beaky (BK).

I still wake up crying sometimes.

I have quite a big nose.

I made the mistake of buying a pair of British Knights trainers for school.

I should have seen the nickname coming: Beaky (BK).

I still wake up crying sometimes.

:pleasing:

Mind in the early 2000's when those Nikes with various coloured plastic ticks were all the rage?

Anyone mind of a jacket that was popular in the mid 90s. Navy blue though there was a fluorescent one. It had 3 surfboards on the back. Said something like 'Surf Bum'?

Anyone mind of a jacket that was popular in the mid 90s. Navy blue though there was a fluorescent one. It had 3 surfboards on the back. Said something like 'Surf Bum'?

Vaguely, I do however remember being especially pleased with myself at the time for owning identical Benzini jackets. One in black, one in red with a ridiculous horizontal zip right across the back of it.

I had shite taste as a kid.

Think it was probably early 90's rather than mid though.

The People's Chimp

Huarache lights were the business, air tech challenge and a few other Aggassi efforts.

8204836841_5e472a34d2_z.jpg

p0jyxm13iwtkq9u6ttbp.jpg

I mind I had some air max classic which I thought were cool as ****. Wore them to school one day, while out playing football at PE some scaffy wee tink nicked them out the changing room. I had no other shoes and had to borrow the head of PE's shan size 10 Pony efforts for the rest of the day. That was a fair beemer on top of the shoes being nicked as well.

There were two makes of those particular jackets. The first was 'Carnival'. Came in (iirc) a dark blue but also a fluorescent yellow as well.

The poor mans imitation did indeed feature 3 surf boards, and was called 'Glory Boys'.

Ahhh, a 90s clobber thread. Love it!

Statts1976uk

I still love my trainers and try and find genuine dead stock ones particularly Adidas but the two that have eluded me are an original pair of Adidas Kicks (for a reasonable price) and a pair of Puma Bocas. My weakness is for Superstars and my Run DMC 35th anniversary edition are my pride and joy, I've still never wore them and still boxed! I've got about 30 pairs now and, even though it's cheating, started getting them custom made by MiAdidas as it's only about ?85 and the satisfaction knowing that no ned shoplifting in JD Sports will have a pair makes it worth every penny!

The Future's Maroon

Did Panam trainers survive into the 90's by the way?!

I had a pair of them in primary school in the late eighties, the same year Lockerbie happened (hence some erseholes asking if they blew up etc). the simple reason was my parents couldn't afford to spend a shed load of money on trainers for either me or my Sister - went through hell when I had them.

Not really a 90's trainer I suppose, but just purchased a pair of Adidas Campus, in dark blue suede (a la Gazelles).

Happy with that.

Huarache lights were the business, air tech challenge and a few other Aggassi efforts.

8204836841_5e472a34d2_z.jpg

p0jyxm13iwtkq9u6ttbp.jpg

I mind I had some air max classic which I thought were cool as ****. Wore them to school one day, while out playing football at PE some scaffy wee tink nicked them out the changing room. I had no other shoes and had to borrow the head of PE's shan size 10 Pony efforts for the rest of the day. That was a fair beemer on top of the shoes being nicked as well.

I had these in blue and grey colour way in the 90s. One of my favourites. Actually bought the ones in the photo recently. Was a big fan of the Aggassi range. The lava airt tech challenge 2 were the first pair of Nikes I got with an air buble. Think they were released recently. Greatest of all time are the Jordan's 3 to 6, with the 4s being the best. Got about 6 pairs of Jordans. Just waiting for the 6s to come out in black/infared in November. It's money for old rope releasing them in different colour ways every other year.

Puma discs were class.

Was 100% an Air Max guy though. Must've had a good 5-6 pairs throughout my teens. Leather cream & blue ones were my favourite by a mile. I'd pay top dollar for these right now/

Old Whitsonian

They sure did. A girl in my year at school had a pair which were christened 'Panam Air' by someone in an example of extremely bad taste teenage humour (not me I might add).

Did you go to Forrester per chance?

Archived