Our finest transfer window ever?

bighusref

Another good day yesterday for Heart of Midlothian. We weren't expecting a multitude of signings but what could've happened is the departure of key talents. Whilst it's a touch disappointing that David Smith has gone, I don't think there is a Hearts supporter that would wish to keep him over Holt or Nicholson.

Since the appointment of our new management team, we've released these first team players...

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Holllis

Whilst a few were disappointed that McDonald and Smith left, by and large we haven't lost any real talents, certainly none of our bright stars.

We've also brought in these first team players...

Adam Eckersley

Prince Buaben

Neil Alexander

Osman Sow

Morgaro Gomis

James Keatings

Scott Gallacher

Soufian El Hassnaoui

Alim Ozturk

Lee Hollis

We aren't in the position to judge Eckersley, El Hassnaoui or Gallacher as yet, but those that have played have all been successes. I don't think we could've predicted the signings would've been that good. All were free, all have been signed on contracts, none are on loan.

What is almost as important is retention of the correct players. At various stages of the past six months, we've all wondered if these players were leaving...

Jamie Walker

Kevin McHattie

Danny Wilson

Calum Paterson

Sam Nicholson

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

Jason Holt

All retained, in fact, a few have extended deals. The only real concern remaining is the reluctance of Jason Holt to sign a longer term deal. Promotion is vital and keeping our best talent is almost as important as the recruitment of new players.

so I am calling this our finest transfer window in the twelve years or so it's been in existence. Burley's window was really good, but I think this could've topped it.

It really is an exciting time to be a Hearts supporter.

Victor Meldrew

Another good day yesterday for Heart of Midlothian. We weren't expecting a multitude of signings but what could've happened is the departure of key talents. Whilst it's a touch disappointing that David Smith has gone, I don't think there is a Hearts supporter that would wish to keep him over Holt or Nicholson.

Since the appointment of our new management team, we've released these first team players...

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Holllis

Whilst a few were disappointed that McDonald and Smith left, by and large we haven't lost any real talents, certainly none of our bright stars.

Adam Eckersley

Prince Buaben

Neil Alexander

Osman Sow

Morgaro Gomis

James Keatings

Scott Gallacher

Soufian El Hassnaoui

Alim Ozturk

Lee Hollis

We aren't in the position to judge Eckersley, El Hassnaoui or Gallacher as yet, but those that have played have all been successes. I don't think we could've predicted the signings would've been that good. All were free, all have been signed on contracts, none are on loan.

What is almost as important is retention of the correct players. At various stages of the past six months, we've all wondered if these players were leaving...

Jamie Walker

Kevin McHattie

Danny Wilson

Calum Paterson

Sam Nicholson

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

Jason Holt

All retained, in fact, a few have extended deals. The only real concern remaining is the reluctance of Jason Holt to sign a longer term deal. Promotion is vital and keeping our best talent is almost as important as the recruitment of new players.

so I am calling this our finest transfer window in the twelve years or so it's been in existence. Burley's window was really good, but I think this could've topped it.

Given the financial constraints we have, then I'm inclined to agree. The Burley window was better in terms of the pedigree of the players: A Champions League winner (Jankauskas) European Championship winner (Fyssas) Rudi and Bednar, but with Romanov's cash it was relatively easy.

This year, Robbie and Craig have managed to do really well with the funds they have available and I think that that's probably a greater achievement.

Great post. Think the key things now are that the balance of the squad is good in terms of youth and experience, and the wage bill should be entirely sustainable.

It is indeed an exciting time to be a Hearts supporter!

Definitely especially when you consider the position we were in compared to the quality we've brought in. It's certainly an exciting time to be a Hearts fan, onwards and upwards!

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Hollis

Apart from maybe McDonald, not one of these players would get anywhere near the bench never mind the starting 11. Top mark to both CL and RN.

We have a fantastic looking squad now maybe we could be doing with a strong experienced been around the block type player to help us especially in the games over the winter where the young boys will struggle to get it down, overall no Hearts fan could complain about the summer we've enjoyed.

How many of our players are in the final year of their contract?

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Hollis

Apart from maybe McDonald, not one of these players would get anywhere near the bench never mind the starting 11. Top mark to both CL and RN.

Agree that RN and CL are doing and have done a great job! Although I would argue that Stevenson would Probaby get a place on the bench...?

We have a fantastic looking squad now maybe we could be doing with a strong experienced been around the block type player to help us especially in the games over the winter where the young boys will struggle to get it down, overall no Hearts fan could complain about the summer we've enjoyed.

How many of our players are in the final year of their contract?

I'm not certain, but I think it's only Holt and Oliver. One of those is "our" choice to have a 1 year deal, the other we want to sign him up for longer.

In the Burley window we brought in players who were the finished article and created a fantastic attacking team built on a good defence which was already in place.

This time the building has based on a very good crop of young players who are maturing nicely in the first team. I'm astonished that we have kept all of our best players and indeed signed them for longer deals with the exception of Holt. Have enjoyed what I've seen of the new signings too. Great job by the club.

Given the financial constraints we have, then I'm inclined to agree. The Burley window was better in terms of the pedigree of the players: A Champions League winner (Jankauskas) European Championship winner (Fyssas) Rudi and Bednar, but with Romanov's cash it was relatively easy.

This year, Robbie and Craig have managed to do really well with the funds they have available and I think that that's probably a greater achievement.

I agree. We did bring in true pedigree that summer, as you rightly say there was some cash available to bring them in. I'm not belittling the good signings Burley made, but it's harder to recruit quality when you don't have a penny to buy a player.

Agree that RN and CL are doing and have done a great job! Although I would argue that Stevenson would Probaby get a place on the bench...?

there's no way he would get near the bench, he has no pace, RN and CL are putting together a team that is fast on the attack Stevenson would look like a St. Bernard dug in a Greyhound race.

Good op. We are in good shape as a squad now but the one area we will probably need to look at next window is centre mid. Holt and Robinson likely to be departing that just leaves Prince Buaben and Gomis as recognised experienced players for that position.

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Holllis

Adam Eckersley

Prince Buaben

Neil Alexander

Osman Sow

Morgaro Gomis

James Keatings

Scott Gallacher

Soufian El Hassnaoui

Alim Ozturk

Lee Hollis

Jamie Walker

Kevin McHattie

Danny Wilson

Calum Paterson

Sam Nicholson

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

Jason Holt

Cracking post BH :thumbsup:

RN and CL deserve massive praise for the way this window has been approached.

The Treasurer

Would agree that we've done some good business this window, but I think the real test will come in January when, as we all hope, the team are still performing to the same levels as just now.

Make no mistake, if we're still a threat to sevco (assuming they still exist by then) then the media will be in overdrive trying to link every player on our books with a "dream move" to here there and everywhere.

I would have loved Holt to have signed a contract extension. By not doing so, it looks like he's decided to try his luck elsewhere and probably on a bigger stage. I completely agree with the OP though, it could hardly have went any better.

For me no. The burley window we signed some incredible players and players of a calibre that I never thought I'd see at hearts.

We've done well to retain players and I couldn't be happier with who we've brought in but I don't think any window will quite match the feeling of 2006.

Giving Holt a deal at the top of our structure must be a priority, he might not get as much football as he needs this season if we continue to use 2 strikers maybe this will affect his decision.

Would agree that we've done some good business this window, but I think the real test will come in January when, as we all hope, the team are still performing to the same levels as just now.

Make no mistake, if we're still a threat to sevco (assuming they still exist by then) then the media will be in overdrive trying to link every player on our books with a "dream move" to here there and everywhere.

I do agree, but I'm happy to take it one window at a time. ;)

The Holt and Robinson situation will be interesting. I wonder how we will deal with Injuries and suspensions.

CL and RN will expect to loose a couple of players in January especially if they continue to develop the way they are.

Oliver and L Smith will have had lots of game time by then and will be ready to slot into the team if required, remeber they both will be training with the squad during their loan spells.

there's no way he would get near the bench, he has no pace, RN and CL are putting together a team that is fast on the attack Stevenson would look like a St. Bernard dug in a Greyhound race.

he looked pretty good at the end of last season in a fast paced team.

Stevenson was a good player. We might have brought in better but it's laughable to suggest he wouldn't be in the v squad.

For me no. The burley window we signed some incredible players and players of a calibre that I never thought I'd see at hearts.

We've done well to retain players and I couldn't be happier with who we've brought in but I don't think any window will quite match the feeling of 2006.

It's a fair point. It was a great time. We brought players in with no concern for cost. It was like getting your credit card limit upped and going shopping.

This is just a bit more frugal and, IMO, more rewarding.

Agree and I'd add Jordan McGhee to your final list

Good shout. I just did it off the top of my head, knew I'd forget somebody!!!

Im highly confident of this team getting back into the SPFL at first time of asking. And quietly confident by then that the team will be more than capable of challenging at the top of the table. All credit to the management for the players they have bought and retained. This really is an exciting time to be a Hearts supporter.

Also worth pointing out that the value of our talented youngsters is growing all the time and if the 'correct' price comes in i'm highly confident any monies will be well spent on quality players. In RN & CL i completely trust.

he looked pretty good at the end of last season in a fast paced team.

Stevenson was a good player. We might have brought in better but it's laughable to suggest he wouldn't be in the v squad.

I respect your opinion but I personally think he is not suited to our style of play and CL and RN where 100% right to off load him.

The business done has been superb. No matter whether you think all the decisions were right, they were decisive, got the key positions identified and brought in hungry, young players.

The results have been tremendous but the most encouraging thing is it's all been about long term planning, not quick fixes.

The business done has been superb. No matter whether you think all the decisions were right, they were decisive, got the key positions identified and brought in hungry, young players.

The results have been tremendous but the most encouraging thing is it's all been about long term planning, not quick fixes.

Good post (especially the bit in bold), and good OP as well.

We will never agree with every decision, but the club has to be decisive and not let the squad drift along until we find ourselves with a complete imbalance due to lack of planning as has happened previously. And every player brought in has a measure of "yep, I can see what CL/RN are thinking here" about it.

Nice.

In both windows the coaching staff looked at what we had in place and added what was needed to complete the squad.

In 05/06 we had a great defence but needed some attacking flair and goalscoring. This time out it was a case of adding a solid spine to hold together our group of highly talented youngsters and allow them to go and express themselves.

Great management so far.

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Holllis

Adam Eckersley

Prince Buaben

Neil Alexander

Osman Sow

Morgaro Gomis

James Keatings

Scott Gallacher

Soufian El Hassnaoui

Alim Ozturk

Lee Hollis

Jamie Walker

Kevin McHattie

Danny Wilson

Calum Paterson

Sam Nicholson

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

Jason Holt

Did we release Hollis? That must be one of the shortest Hearts careers ever but I can't see it on Hearts website. It must mean that Alexander and Gallacher are almost back to full fitness.

Did we release Hollis? That must be one of the shortest Hearts careers ever but I can't see it on Hearts website. It must mean that Alexander and Gallacher are almost back to full fitness.

We did. It's a footnote on the Oliver story.

loveofthegame

In terms of player ability, this is spot on. 2006 will never be beaten. Euro 2004 winner, UEFA cup/Champs league winning centre forward, Rudi Skacel, Czech Rep international strikers etc.

In terms of realism, who we have signed giving our current position etc the Bighusref is bang on, this one has been incredible.

Such different situations that they are near impossible to compare fairly. Both amazing though.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Jamie Hamill

Mark RIdgers

Dylan McGowan

Ryan Stevenson

Jamie McDonald

David Smith

Lee Holllis

Adam Eckersley

Prince Buaben

Neil Alexander

Osman Sow

Morgaro Gomis

James Keatings

Scott Gallacher

Soufian El Hassnaoui

Alim Ozturk

Lee Hollis

Jamie Walker

Kevin McHattie

Danny Wilson

Calum Paterson

Sam Nicholson

Jamie Walker

Dale Carrick

Jason Holt

Post of the year!

Giving Holt a deal at the top of our structure must be a priority, he might not get as much football as he needs this season if we continue to use 2 strikers maybe this will affect his decision.

I think this is key, at this stage in his career Holt needs to be playing every week and to be honest he's not automatically a first pick.

Totally agree. How this has all been managed and put in place on the budget we have I feel is down to quality background research and hard graft by the coaching and scouting team..

I have to agree with this. This summer has been above expectations, it's left me optimistic that we are building an team with potential to win this division.

But...

As soon as we started by bringing in international players, Champions League winners and spending big money in 05 it was clear we were building an exciting team with potential to win the whole league. This was after a period of austerity and uncertainty too so it felt similar but who wouldn't prefer to see players of the standard of Fyssas, Jankauskas, Bednar and a young rapscallion called Rudi?

A great window to be fair but I doubt if anything will ever trump that summer's signings for me. We were so good we turned down Schemmel.

What pleased me the most was we got the bulk of our business done early doors in the window. Think it's made a real difference having the core group of guys in for a full pre season.

International break now to get a few guys back and we will have a fully fit squad ready to kick on!

I wonder how much of the talent spotting/target identification is CL.

I sometimes wonder how much of a hand he has on the tiller even though he's largely 'invisible' ?

His attention to detail is, I'm told, awesome.

UnbelievableJeff

Whilst it's not the same quality as we were bringing in in 2005/06, there is a target associated with the signings now as there was then. The target then, in my opinion, was to win the league. We spent a little bit of time fantasising that we might but ultimately the target wasn't achieved and no-one was confident that it had been. This window is different. The target is different. Almost as difficult to achieve some might say as there is a monster club( in more ways than one) in the mix with us and the base we have started from. The difference this time is that is has become apparent pretty quickly that the assembled squad we have now could and in fact should achieve the target. In that sense it's been the best transfer window ever.

We_are_the_Hearts

Whilst it's not the same quality as we were bringing in in 2005/06, there is a target associated with the signings now as there was then. The target then, in my opinion, was to win the league. We spent a little bit of time fantasising that we might but ultimately the target wasn't achieved and no-one was confident that it had been. This window is different. The target is different. Almost as difficult to achieve some might say as there is a monster club( in more ways than one) in the mix with us and the base we have started from. The difference this time is that is has become apparent pretty quickly that the assembled squad we have now could and in fact should achieve the target. In that sense it's been the best transfer window ever.

Agreed we have a great chance of winning the league but being Hearts you always feel something will go wrong. Another chapter on the roller coaster of being a Hearts fan.

UnbelievableJeff

Agreed we have a great chance of winning the league but being Hearts you always feel something will go wrong. Another chapter on the roller coaster of being a Hearts fan.

I think we might have finally shaken off that tag, certainly on the pitch. In fact we could be on the brink of a major slice of GOOD fortune if Rangers go tits up as looks increasingly possible but even if that doesn't happen, we look pretty good at this early stage with 4 tough hurdles passed with flying colours.

I think you have to look at the balance of the squad and say it is spot on. We arent short in any area with an excellent mix of youth and experience and a quality far beyond the league we're in. Robbie and CL, have in a matter of months, done what several managers could not do in several seasons wasting several hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I wonder how much of the talent spotting/target identification is CL.

I sometimes wonder how much of a hand he has on the tiller even though he's largely 'invisible' ?

His attention to detail is, I'm told, awesome.

Def would have been behind Buaben and Gomis signings and for that I'm grateful

Sub4TiddlerMurray

I think you have to look at the balance of the squad and say it is spot on. We arent short in any area with an excellent mix of youth and experience and a quality far beyond the league we're in. Robbie and CL, have in a matter of months, done what several managers could not do in several seasons wasting several hundreds of thousands of pounds.

100% correct

Archived