Overused Movie Cliches

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I have noticed a few recurring cliches in films coming out.

For example any action film now needs the protagonist to be an former special forces/secret agent.

Any horror film has been done in hand held camera (found footage.)

Anyone notice any other cliches in films?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snake Plissken

Whenever someone casually walks away from an explosion without turning around to look at it.

Any horror film has been done in hand held camera (found footage.)

My horror film cliche that i hate is when someone is looking at themselves in a bathroom cabinet mirror that is slightly ajar, they push it back and lo and behold the killers standing behind them. Ooooh! Cheap and tacky. Horror should be about creating a sense of dread, not just jumping out at people.

Cliches that i love:

jamboinglasgow

another in is the inception waahh sound, worked really well in Inception, but now any sci-fi film is just throwing it in to sound futuristic and epic.

Snake Plissken

The bad guy getting captured as part of his plan like in Skyfall.

See also: The Dark Knight

See also: Se7en

My horror film cliche that i hate is when someone is looking at themselves in a bathroom cabinet mirror that is slightly ajar, they push it back and lo and behold the killers standing behind them. Ooooh! Cheap and tacky. Horror should be about creating a sense of dread, not just jumping out at people.

:spoton:

Bonus points if it's a vampire film and they don't actually appear in the mirror, but when the character turns round they're there.

Main character pumps a random, then the real love interest is greeted at the door by the aforementioned random the morning after.

Cue heartbreak/regret and then the inevitable happy ending.

another in is the inception waahh sound, worked really well in Inception, but now any sci-fi film is just throwing it in to sound futuristic and epic.

Reckon The Dark Knight will have beaten it to use that noise. It is pretty similar to the Jokers theme music.

Happy endings.

If the first contact between a man and a woman is a glimpse or a glance across a crowd or room they will end up together.

GlasgoJambo

Sometimes the comfort of watching films is to have one's cliche expectations fulfilled. Every Disney animation follows the same structure, central character overcomes adversity involving a spiritual and or physical journey with the assistance of some friendly characters along the way and at least one manifestation of danger. I don't care much for Disney cartoons as the formula bores me and the cliches grate (particularly the stereotyped characters).

However chuck me a spaghetti western where the narrative is taken to an insurmountable level of repetitive cliche rip offs and I'm in celluloid heaven. At no point am I guessing whether the loner, of few words, who's just come into town, will turn out to be handy with a gun :lol:

Duo against "baddie". Duo get split up or one knocked out. Baddie towers over one of our heroes, about to deliver killer blow. Hero 2 reappears at the last second to kill baddie from behind.

Main character pumps a random, then the real love interest is greeted at the door by the aforementioned random the morning after.

Cue heartbreak/regret and then the inevitable happy ending.

To add to the rom-com cliches

- If couple that have split up have a kid then kid's faith in romance will eventually bring them back together

- Complete unrealistic forgiveness - i.e wife cheats, couple split, guy mopes around for a bit while wife continues to see her bit on the side, guy wages war to win her back, get back together a live happily ever after and totally forget about her being a cheating slag

The ability of "good guys" to carry on despite several major injuries and without their athletic performance being hampered in any way. Pish.

doctor jambo

That inside that seeming howler is a really attractive girl waiting to blossom.

Erm, naw. It was obvious from the word go she was really attractive rendering the whole film an utter waste of time

The Great Khali

James Bond running through 40 million bullets every film and never getting shot.

To add to the rom-com cliches

- If couple that have split up have a kid then kid's faith in romance will eventually bring them back together

- Complete unrealistic forgiveness - i.e wife cheats, couple split, guy mopes around for a bit while wife continues to see her bit on the side, guy wages war to win her back, get back together a live happily ever after and totally forget about her being a cheating slag

A bursd helps a guy win the heart of the bursd of his dreams then just as he is about to finally hook up with her he finds that he actually loves the bursd who has helped him.

The ability of "good guys" to carry on despite several major injuries and without their athletic performance being hampered in any way. Pish.

Like here?

Alan Johnson

Disaster involving kidnapping, hijacking or terrorist threat? Liam Neeson to the rescue!

Comedy films using emotional music (Whitney Houston, C?line Dion etc) for comedic effect. Pish.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe not a cliche but when our hero is escaping from the enemy base/hideout/jail cell/innocuous building which is actually a front for dastardly evil corporation hq......he breezes past the first few guards but rather than grab handful upon handful of their automatic weapons and ammo he sticks with his half empty pistol/trusty sword/wits etc.

"I've just fired off an entire magazine from my AK-47 into the bad guys....maybe I should pick up their weapons and a few clips....maybe that grenade belt?................NAH...I'm going to pause later for a big lingering kiss with this hottie I rescued."

Also, when the seemingly unbeatable hero/chief henchman is seemingly cornered.....don't wait patiently for him to roundhouse kick you in turn but count down 3...2...1..with your buddies then jump him at the same time and kick his ******* head in!

Whenever someone casually walks away from an explosion without turning around to look at it.

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions:

The women are stupid.

Every time they get told to stay where they are, they do the complete opposite, then expect help when they run into trouble.

Regal Kingston

When a drunk (secondary to the plot) see's something completely unbelievable then look at their bottle of liquer, shake their head and throw it away.

The fact that people always end up with the cold if they get caught in a downpour. I don't know anyone, anywhere, that has caught the cold because they got rained on.

Kissing under the rain. Not fun. Kissing a freshly showerer woman is fun, however.

The constant, and always shite, attempts at humour during "live" online coverage. The BBC and The Guardian are the worst.

Not finishing off a bad guy when they're down. I watched a film last night where a woman smacked the knife wielding baddie on the back with a folding chair knocking him onto his front on the ground,rather than smack him again she throw the chair away,giving him time to get back on his feet,grab his knife (yes,she didn't grab the knife either) and resume the chase.

GlasgoJambo

Any scene involving a situation that people dance (such as weddings) inevitably involves an old person doing some kind of hand moves.

GlasgoJambo

Hoodlums in 80s movies about to commit a mugging will consist of at least one chap wearing a shirt with no sleeves and another sporting a head band.

Alcohol and any drug known to man seems to have the same effect on the user. Soap operas are also guilty of this. Pish.

Is your partner/sidekick less attractive than you? Is he also carrying more weight....maybe a bit chubby maybe even older? Yeah.....he'll never let you down. He's got your back the loveable fatso.

Is he just as handsome? Well built.....good shooting and hand to hand combat skills? Quite friendly with your wife? Yeah......he can't be trusted. Keep him infront of you. He'll betray you someday......unless his mental instability is out there for everyone to see.

I have two:

1) Hollywood magazines - why does no-one ever seem to run out of bullets

2) Hollywood gearboxes - good guy is racing neck and neck with bad guy, bad guy gets the edge, but wait! What's this? Good guy appears to have found another gear! How lucky was that?!

The bad guy getting captured as part of his plan like in Skyfall.

See also: The Dark Knight

See also: Se7en

The Avengers

Flicking a cigarette onto petrol. It doesnt work in real life. Has to be a naked flame.

Anything with cars and explosions.

Snipers with lasers (lasers factor in wind and gravity now?)

Pulling the hammer back in guns ( waste of a bullet)

GlasgoJambo

In a war movie, any character who is about to go into battle or take part in some risky assignment and has been foolhardy enough to have suggested meeting up for a pint after - is a goner.

jamboinglasgow

One thing that always bothers me is when in action film the lone hero is fighting to talk down the terrorists, the government calls in their top special forces soldiers to defeat them, but they all get killed within seconds, sometimes after the hero is calling for them to get back as he noticed the secret weapon that the bad guys have for this exact purpose but is just told to shut up by the arrogant government guy (despite the hero clearly shown he knows whats happening. Just always feels frustrating, the writer does this to show the hero is on his own. See The Rock and White House Down for examples.

Also its amazing how many Rom-coms want you to root for complete arseholes over a guy who is good to female love interest simply because the main man only discovers that he loves, the movie then tries to make this ok because the good guy has one fault which will put the love interest off the guy who right for her and put her in the arm of the arsehole who is full of faults because he has now said he loves her. The worst example of this is Made of Honour.

jamboinglasgow

In a war movie, any character who is about to go into battle or take part in some risky assignment and has been foolhardy enough to have suggested meeting up for a pint after - is a goner.

Or said he is going to marry his gal when this is over.

I have two:

1) Hollywood magazines - why does no-one ever seem to run out of bullets

2) Hollywood gearboxes - good guy is racing neck and neck with bad guy, bad guy gets the edge, but wait! What's this? Good guy appears to have found another gear! How lucky was that?!

the first one there, i like it in last action hero where they take the piss out of it and it ends up backfiring on arnie

Flicking a cigarette onto petrol. It doesnt work in real life. Has to be a naked flame.

Nope, that doesn't work either. You need a wick to light. Liquid petrol doesn't burn, its petrol vapour that's flammable.

Nope, that doesn't work either. You need a wick to light. Liquid petrol doesn't burn, its petrol vapour that's flammable.

I seem to remember years ago pouring some petrol on the ground and lighting it with a match.

Every rom com ever conceived.

Guy lies to bird, bird finds out and is raging, sad montage of him without her, friend tells guy to go win her back, guy tells bird it was all real, bird falls back in love with guy.

Pass the sick bucket.

I seem to remember years ago pouring some petrol on the ground and lighting it with a match.

If it spreads over a wide enough area so that the petrol itself is a very thin layer, then anything hot enough (cigarette, lighter, match) should do it (if the amount of vapors given off are great enough). But you can throw matches into buckets of the stuff all day long and nothing will happen.

Edit: It depends on how well the vapour is mixed with air. But a cigarette end burns at around 400?C, the flash point of petrol is -40?C or so, with an autoignition temperature of 280?C ish. So according to physics it should work...

When baddies start to kill their own henchmen, just to show how mean they are, you always know that they are going to die.

GlasgoJambo

Or said he is going to marry his gal when this is over.

Shows a picture of his sweetheart to a comrade - "we're going to open a vegetable shop when this bloody war's over" or the like.

Archived