Overused Movie Cliches

jamboinglasgow

Sawdust Caesar

When the brake cable has been cut in a car and it only affects the car when it is at the top of a steep hill heading down it and not at the bottom of it heading up. And never when the car is just pulling out of the driveway or on a flat, empty road. I remember one film where the car is on a flat road and the driver is pumping the brakes and all that happens is the car speeds up until the inevitable crash, I don't drive but surely if you took your foot off the accelerator the car would just slow down and eventually stop?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the good guy/or bad guy are driving a car, they need to brake suddenly and throw it into reverse at 60mph simply by throwing their arm over the passenger seat and staring out the back window. They can drive like this without fault, weaving in between all kinds of obstacles.

jamboinglasgow

Mentioning cities reminds me:

Any movie set in London that involves a scene outside. The strange compulsion of the director to ensure that at least 3 of: Tower Bridge, St Paul's Cathedral, Buck House, Big Ben, the Gherkin, the Dome and Marble Arch appear in shot tends to result in completely impossible journeys and routes being taken.

On a similar, Britain according to Hollywood is London (the only urban area,) English countryside (full of country houses and upper class people) Scottish highlands (stunning scenery and small villages where everyone knows everyone and full of eccentric figures.)

Daydream Believer

When bad guys make a bomb they always buy at least two colours of wire. Why not just use say red wire for everything?

GlasgoJambo

The group of English pals (with one crazy Scots /Irish/Welsh pal) consisting of handsome but shy male lead (who always meets a stunning American girl) his wacky sister, an eccentric but loveable best friend and a plain but wise ex girlfriend and her new man.

tumblr_lwzqd9dGwm1r212ll.gif

Bridge of Djoum

Bar staff never measure spirits. Just horse it right in the glass, and always at least a double.

To be fair, that is kinda how they serve 'liquor' here,in dive bars anyway. Best thing about NYC bars, asking for a whisky, and getting something worth drinking rather than the stingy measure we are used to.

I'm always wellied now.

:stantoned::olly:

Swords cut clean through any kind of armor. Leather, chain mail, plate, doesn't matter. One slash with a sword and it's curtains for the bad guy.

PaulHartley10

You've got to love when one punch or one karate chop to the back of the neck can render someone unconscious for the duration of that scene.

You never see them get up after 5mins and track them down again!

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how the movie is playing out whenever there is a car crash the person being transported is the only one who doesn't get hurt ie if the police have a criminal in the back of the car it's the criminal who gets out unscathed. Really annoys me that one.

jamboinglasgow

In any action movie, any police/guards/secret service who fire back at the bad guys when the bad guys are initially taking over are useless and show no example of being trained (so will shoot running out of cover rather than shooting behind cover.)

I P Knightley

Cars that won't start until the monster/bad guy is inches away...

Do people still tap the fuel gauge when the car starts spluttering as the tank empties?

Do people still tap the fuel gauge when the car starts spluttering as the tank empties?

Sometimes, but better effect when it's a bi-plane or the like.

Swords cut clean through any kind of armor. Leather, chain mail, plate, doesn't matter. One slash with a sword and it's curtains for the bad guy.

Pipe can also cut through chain mail.

Heres Rixxy

Lift door closing... An arm or hand suddenly swings in to reopen.

Never seen anyone do this in real life.

Villains always talk too much.

When the villain has the hero tied up in the basement with a gun aimed at his head, he will spend too much time monologuing about his evil plan to actually kill him.

This gives the hero time to:

1) come up with a "snappy" one-liner, like "Oh yeah? I don't think so,"

2) escape with the knife/gun/file he has in his pocket/hands/boots, or

3) be rescued by his partner.

Guest Trapper John

Anyone wearing a red shirt in Star Trek (apart from Scotty or Uhuru) guaranteed to be incinerated, evaporated, turned to a pile of salt or killed in some other awful manner by something that may look like a flying omelette.

Shooting a padlock opens the door rather than ricocheting back and killing the shooter.

The black guy always dies. And why does it always take so long to do things in movies? If i thought someone was hiding behind the shower curtain, id turn the light on, give it the big "Hen, grab my gun, think i left it next to my boxing gloves and black belt!" and pull the curtain back. Not in movies though. Lights off, slow quiet steps toward the shower. "Hmm, blood, how peculiar." I get the whole suspense building thing but it just rips my knitting a bit. Hurry up!!

But aye, the black guy always cops it first.

Aloof angry action hero won't talk to anyone but there's always this one persistant kid who irritates him and eventually manages to bring out his softer side.

Sawdust Caesar

A guy is taking a girl out on their first date and he has a friend or relative who can get him after-hours access to a fancy museum/sports stadium/Madison Square Garden and the like, and with no repercussions for the friend or relative for breaking the rules.

Snake Plissken

The way the nine-stone female lead can casually knock-out a fifteen-stone henchman with a single punch.

The way the baddie will throw the hero across the room and slowly stalk after the hero, giving said hero time to recover or locate a weapon, instead of pressing his obvious advantage and finishing the fight in seconds.

Good guys and gals are terrible at hiding.

Bad guys and gals are amazing at finding people hiding. Sometimes they walk right past you but they know you're in there...they're just f**kin with you.

Also....if you are in the woods and you think you're being chased or watched. Spin round quickly in a circle to check. Don't pause looking one way a little longer than the other.....cos that's when they sneek up on you.

Oh....and don't run too fast because you'll trip and it takes aaaaaggees to get back up.....even though the guy after you is just walking.

Also....if your sports team is shit...get an inspiring coach whose speeches will overcompensate for the lack of ability your team has.

You'll either win against all the odds or lose but the moral victory will be yours and no-one will cheer for the winner.

This doesn't happen in real life. Example you say?..................Hibs.

Also....if your sports team is shit...get an inspiring coach whose speeches will overcompensate for the lack of ability your team has.

You'll either win against all the odds or lose but the moral victory will be yours and no-one will cheer for the winner.

This doesn't happen in real life. Example you say?..................Hibs.

There is one major flaw to the example you gave. Hibs have never had an inspiring manager.

Archived