Memory Lane...

fordy

63 years old, and i've seen some great players with Hearts.

'The King,' Willie Wallace, 'Mr Hearts,' John Cumming, Donald Ford, Drew Busby, John Robertson.

Obviosly many many more. Any other 'old timers' like to add to the list? :)

ps, Had a couple of 'shandies' today, hence this post. :)

Did not see the "King" play missed him by three games could add to your list the great Jim Cruickshank, Johnny Hamilton, Willie Hamilton, Davie Holt and many many more.:thumbsup:

'The King,' Willie Wallace, 'Mr Hearts,' John Cumming, Donald Ford, Drew Busby, John Robertson.

Just a young 61 myself but you must have had a few shandies to miss Cruicky from your list !!! and would add Johnny Hamilton - wee Hammy was one of the truly great characters and Raold Jensen is another from that era that was a real class act.

:thumbsup:

yabadabadoo1874again

How good exactly were that mid 50s Hearts side..???.amazed that over 60,000 Hearts fans were at the final win ...at Hampden...in a huge crowd !!! Would they be a match for some of the bigger sides today ??? If so what recent clubs are similar to their level !!!??

Just a young 61 myself but you must have had a few shandies to miss Cruicky from your list !!! and would add Johnny Hamilton - wee Hammy was one of the truly great characters and Raold Jensen is another from that era that was a real class act.

:thumbsup:

You can't mention Roald Jensen without Rene Moller!!!

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Like you, had a few shandies, so, at 59, I will just start by saying, Cruickshank, Shevelin, Holt, Polland, Anderson, Higgins.....do you remember?

But my all time favourite football players, Jim Cruickshank and John Robertson

God, just brought a tear to my eye

Like you, had a few shandies, so, at 59, I will just start by saying, Cruickshank, Shevelin, Holt, Polland, Anderson, Higgins.....do you remember?

- - -Jensen, Barry, Wallace, Gordon and Hamilton!! So near yet so far!!

AllyjamboDerbyshire

- - -Jensen, Barry, Wallace, Gordon and Hamilton!! So near yet so far!!

Actually my first game the forward line was: Hamilton J, Wallace, White, Gordon, Traynor (never forget that hairstyle)

Actually, might not have been Allan Gordon, will have to find out who it was. But what a time it was, discovered the Beatles and the Hearts. Wow, almost makes being old worthwhile :thumbsup:

You can't mention Roald Jensen without Rene Moller!!!

Really thought that Moller was going to be something special then he did his disappearing act and I don't think he ever did much else with his career whereas Roald Jensen was something special and revered in his homeland as one of the all time greats.

A few years ago I went into a pub in the centre of Bergen and the bar was just covered in Jensen memorabilia and lots of it with a Hearts connection - it was like walking into a pub in Gorgie - he is still worshiped over there.

Actually my first game the forward line was: Hamilton J, Wallace, White, Gordon, Traynor (never forget that hairstyle)

Actually, might not have been Allan Gordon, will have to find out who it was. But what a time it was, discovered the Beatles and the Hearts. Wow, almost makes being old worthwhile :thumbsup:

That's the five I remember vividly from 64/65 and then of course Jensen came in and it changed a bit - aye TT's hairstyle was something else ,looked a bit like a 2 inch crew cut.

What's this with all you old geezers having too many shandies on a Tuesday night - either too much money or you still think it's Saturday :whistling:

Indeed Ally, i remember them all mate. I did say there were 'many many more,' I would have ben on the computer all night if i'd tried to name them all !Cruickshank, of course, the best Hearts keeper i've ever seen. Imo. And Willie Hamilton, how could i have forgotten to include him ! :blink: Everybody has their favourites, i just listed a few of mine, while in a (ahem) slightly 'tired and emotional' state. :thumbsup::whistling:

Always had a liking for Jim Townsend from these days or maybe a year or so later.Did we sign him from another club?Maybe St Johnstone?

Always had a liking for Jim Townsend from these days or maybe a year or so later.Did we sign him from another club?Maybe St Johnstone?

I think you're right 'GD.' I'm pretty sure we signed him from St Johnstone. Jim was a good player, but if i remember correctly, he was a bit injury prone. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

donaldius fordovich

Surprised nobody's mentioned Dave Mackay yet. Was a few years before my time (first game 1964) but my old man used to wax lyrical about him and also Alex Young. My own favourites were Donald Ford and Cruikie

Archived