Taouil and Obua

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

What a difference in Obua when we play a passing game eith the ball on the deck more. Also Mehdi is the least wastefull and most effective player we have right now IMO, every time he releases the ball I feel confident it is going to a Hearts player and that he will have moved in to a good position to receive it again if necessary.

Big Davy breaks up oposition attacking moves, intercepts passes from the other team and passes very well indeed.

Mehdi is the least wastefull ball player I have seen at Hearts in a while and his first touch and ball control is better than every other Hearts player except maybe Suso.

I would be building a team around both of them and Stevenson if we are to achieve anything with the new coach. :)

Obua is playing a lot better but he has a tendency to slow the play down when we're breaking which can be frustrating.

mehdi looks good but a bit greedy yesterday, a couple of times he could have laid it to the left or right to a better placed player, wouldnt complain if he binned it top bag though!

I wonder how Mehdi would do If he was played in a deeper midfield position. Think he might make himself available to the defence, and be able to kick start attacking moves effectively. I saw him to this for Killie a few times.

Very impressed with Taouil so far, having been sceptical when we first signed him. As far as Obua goes, after so much mediocrity (which is a charitable interpretation) since his having signed I'll still take a bit more convincing with him, but he's certainly come on in leaps and bounds this season.

J.T.F.Robertson

These two are the types of players ("types") who can help bring PS's ideas to fruition. The style is particularly more suited to D.O.

kennyblack'sshot

Very impressed with Taouil so far, having been sceptical when we first signed him. As far as Obua goes, after so much mediocrity (which is a charitable interpretation) since his having signed I'll still take a bit more convincing with him, but he's certainly come on in leaps and bounds this season.

To be fair to Big Dave he's played in five positions at my count - wide left mid, left back, behind the striker, striker and now central mid. I thought the papers said he was a left back when signed and he's definitely better when the game's in front of him and he has a couple of options. I really like him where he's playing just now - kind of doing the Ruben role but more dangerous going forward.

tartofmidlothian

The BBC highlights showed them both in a very good light. Big O got himself into some great positions and Mehdi looked a cut above everyone else. The way he got in position to set up a chance for Elliott at the end was stunning, just cut through their defence.

To be fair to Big Dave he's played in five positions at my count - wide left mid, left back, behind the striker, striker and now central mid. I thought the papers said he was a left back when signed and he's definitely better when the game's in front of him and he has a couple of options. I really like him where he's playing just now - kind of doing the Ruben role but more dangerous going forward.

3 years to find his position in the team. It has been a while.

It is fair to say he has been givem a role similar to the one Ruben played. A lot of fans expect much more from Obua than they ever did from Ruben.

The only other left sided player we have that can play this position is Rudi but maybe Paulo would prefer to see him play further forward.

I'm still quietly optimistic about what Medhi can do for us in midfield. If he and Dave keep on going like the did at the weekend they will have a big part to play for us this year.

Now if Black could hurry up and trigger his suspension and we could get Robinson in...

Guest Bilel Mohsni

CMc,

Ian 'I'll try and score from 25-40 yards' Black is definitely far more of a liability than the much maligned Big Davy. If Robinson can do everything Black can without the shots in to the stand and the silly fouls then we might have a decent midfield taking shape.

CMc,

Ian 'I'll try and score from 25-40 yards' Black is definitely far more of a liability than the much maligned Big Davy. If Robinson can do everything Black can without the shots in to the stand and the silly fouls then we might have a decent midfield taking shape.

I like the way Paulo is letting the team evolve. He's not come in and made the wholesale changes that a lot of people (and I think I include myself in this) wanted. Instead he's made gradual changes to the system and the personnel which have largely reflected the form of the squad - McGowan is the possible exception to this. I think he has been unlucky not to be more involved.

The back line is pretty settled, Kello picks himself and Elliott and Stevenson seem to be the most effective attacking pairing we have (at least until Kyle returns). Wingers appear to be being rotated and used on a form basis when the system calls for them (sometimes only in the last half hour when we've tired them out with "that tippy tappy stuff", but I'm OK with that, I can see logic in it). The midfield was the big issue, but now Obua appears to be a regular, Eggert has got a chance with Mroweic dropping back and Taouil has retained his position after a good showing and justified his place. For me, that just leaves Blacks position.

Black's done ok this year and had a cracking spell in our good run last year but he has some serious flaws in his game and IMO doesn't fit the system that Paulo is trying to play. He has a decent touch and protects the ball well and has quite an accurate short passing game. Nobody could claim he doesn't try hard enough and he is good in the air for a wee guy. The problem for me is that he doesn't offer much movement when he has passed the ball. He finds a team mate and then stands still. It could be that he was brought up as a defensive minded midfield player and his instinct is to pass the ball and fall back and cover. If he was playing the "Mroweic role" that would be OK. If he is playing as one of the centre mids then we need more movement than that. That's where I could see Robinson making a difference. From what I've seen of him, he looks like he would be able to buzz about giving a short option to the defence and the other midfielders as well as linking up with the strikers. I know he's young and would be prone to inconsistency, but we have had a lot of 6.5 out of ten every week players and we'd still be able to go to the bench if he was struggling. Sergio might well feel that Black has not done enough wrong to lose his place, or that Robinson still has to prove himself. I could accept both of these arguments. However, I'm optimistic that when Black gets suspended (quite soon), Robinson will slot into his place effectively and improve the balance of our midfield.

CMc,

The only change I'd have made in the middle of the park yesterday would have been Robinson for Black. A trio of Jonsson, Robinson and Davey O would do well together IMO.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

No doubting that Black has ability, just like there was no denying Michael Stewart has. For me though Obua and Taouil showed some great potential on Saturday aned Ryan Stevenson looks more likely to carve a place for himself up front than in the middle. Black can pass and can tackle and he has the technique to score to when he keeps a cool head. The biggest problem I have with Black is his tendency to try and score from any grid reference in the opposition half and his tendency to clatter a player when it is unnecessary. I am hoping he either gets his shit together or young Robinson shows he is capable of doing everything he does... Minus the rush of blood nonsense.

Toataly agree with CMc's observations.

Obua is rank rotten, big Taouil fan if he continues to play like that

For the first year or so Obua was with us I thought the same. I don't think it is true of his performances this season. He was unlucky not to get two goals and an assist on Saturday. Did you see a big difference in his contribution compared to Taouil?

Stevo and Taouil were on a different planet from most of our team on Saturday.

They were light years ahead of everyone else in terms of ability and thinking.

Taouil's ball control and ability to take the ball down from the air was quite incredible.

Obua was better but still languid and slow in possession and he takes the spark out of so many counter attacks.

jamboinglasgow

Stevo and Taouil were on a different planet from most of our team on Saturday.

They were light years ahead of everyone else in terms of ability and thinking.

Taouil's ball control and ability to take the ball down from the air was quite incredible.

Obua was better but still languid and slow in possession and he takes the spark out of so many counter attacks.

I would love to see Novikovas alongside Taouil in the 3 behind the striker, as against Royal Antwerp, Novikovas was immense when he came on and he and Taouil looked to be combining so well together. Try that in an SPL game and I think you would unlock a lot of defences.

mahgrassyshoes

Wasn't impressed with the Taouil signing, but he seems to be proving me wrong. The times I saw him for Killie i thought he was a bit ball greedy, but i've been impressed by his ability to get past players and release the ball at the right time. Thinking he's going to turn into a cracking wee player for us.

To be fair to JJ, 3 out of his 4 signings look to have been pretty shrewd. I still think Hamill could do a job sitting in front of the back four and linking with the defence as he did against Spurs 2nd half at Tynie. He is good in the tackle and uses the ball better than Black IMO, however I am not convinced Mcgowan is a better right back yet.

To be fair to JJ, 3 out of his 4 signings look to have been pretty shrewd. I still think Hamill could do a job sitting in front of the back four and linking with the defence as he did against Spurs 2nd half at Tynie. He is good in the tackle and uses the ball better than Black IMO, however I am not convinced Mcgowan is a better right back yet.

I think it's probably best to leave Grainger and Hamill where they are. They were not so great on Saturday but our full backs have been very good so far this year and we should probably not mess with that part of the team. I'd say Eggert should be given a run in midfield now playing the role you suggested for Hamill.

Archived