Mascots

Craigieboy

I was a mascot years ago (1995). Was pretty decent and probably won't forget it in a hurry.

IIRC you get to go to the players' lounge before the game to meet some of the players (I met Robbo and Locke) before having a wee kick about on the park with the other mascot. Then the big moment of leading the teams out and then getting a kick about with the players.

I'd imagine there's more to it these days than what I got though.

Think I was too young to really appreciate just how awesome it really was tbh. What I'd give to lead the teams out at Tynecastle these days :(

My son was a Hearts mascot a few years ago at the age of 6, it was a day to remember forever. He won a competition to be the mascot. When we told him he had won, he thought he was going to be in the team !!

future is maroon

Has anyone ever had their kids do this?

What is the day like?

Cheers for any info.

Had a family member who was lucky enough to be a mascot a few years back.

Got two free tickets for the wheatfield (including one for the mascot once they had been on/off the pitch and then got changed - the junior jambos staff bring them to their seat which is usually section a beside the young boys that play at half time)

They had to provide their own strip albeit they got a voucher for the shop which gave a discount but it wasn't even for as much as 25% off. It was dictated whether they had to wear/buy the home or away so they could have 11 in home and 11 in away.

To be fair for that game every player (Hearts and the oppo) had a mascot so it may be that's why the mascots had to provide their own strip alebit I'm sure Hearts coulda afforded it. Could also be why they had to have a proper practice as 22 kids to show what to do.

It was a case of turn up an hour before kick and get led into changing areas (at that point the adults made their way to their seats and the folk running the junior jambos took the kids in the officical changing areas to get them changed etc). Once changed etc they got led out about half 2 for a trial run to show where they would be standing etc come 3pm.

As I say that was when there were 22 mascots so if it's only 1 or 2 then chances are there will be no trial run and they will get time on the pitch to kick the ball about instead for 5/10 minutes. Also likely they will get the strip for free too. Probably get a decent seat too if it's only for a couple of mascots/parents.

All in all it should be a great day whether paying for the strips or not etc as most folk would pay a decent amount just to get the chance to be a mascot. Get to meet and speak too some of the players (even if it's just the subs) also get name and pic in the programme to which is great memento (don't forget to buy the programme for the next home game after the game they are mascot for as that will have the photo taken before the match with the ref, captains and mascots together although the club send a pic or 2 out in the post anyway.

Sorry if too much info but thought i'd put all here just incase this is the kind of info you were after. As I say that was 3/4 seasons back so may have changed.

stirlingshirejambo

my son had been on waiting list but never had the chance so I decided to try some of the away grounds as he was 11 soon to be too old. Got nice reply from st johnstone but no joy and only other reply was from Celtic. After several e mails and phone calls they were satisfied he was a bona fide jambo and got offered the next game which was midweek. We had to buy our own tickets for away end but that apart we were treated brilliantly. Inside stadium was really impressive and i was allowed into hospitality while he was shown round changing rooms. Highlight was meeting jj and getting to warm up with the team. Loads good memories and photos and dvd sent after by celtic completed experience. Long winded but brought back great memories which can never be repeated. Sorry for that.

My late brother was a mascot in a game against Smeltic - need to ask the auld man the score - my brother had his Hearts strip on and a maroon stookie on his left leg.

Oh yeah we won :thumbsup: in front of a packed Tynecastle.

broughies tach

I recently asked about this on behalf of a group of the late Tom Heaney's pals we thought it would be a nice touch that his twin boys would be mascots for the day.

Clare at Hearts informed us that mascots were chosen at random from the list talked about. My point was that you couldn't choose one but not the other if one was lucky enough to come out the hat. Her reply was that we could sponsor a match and they might be able to accomodate us.

It's a big stretch from being a nice gesture to raising enough money to sponsoring a game if we could do that we would probably give the cash to the boys to spend on what they liked which would probably be Playstation games and no the Hearts TBH

My late brother was a mascot in a game against Smeltic - need to ask the auld man the score - my brother had his Hearts strip on and a maroon stookie on his left leg.

Oh yeah we won :thumbsup: in front of a packed Tynecastle.

The date was 1988 and score was 1 - 0 and JC scored :thumbsup:

Malinga the Swinga

DAughter was mascot against Zagreb, but they forgot to collect mascots before they came out of tunnel. Re-arranged and she was mascot against Kilmarnock, but fire on motorway caused match to be called off. We got free lunch at tynie, tour of ground and changing rooms, met JJ abd BB as they had arrive early.

re-arranged agin, and because of last 2 times, they let youngest daughter wave flag in centre circle, eldest son was on pich kicking ball around and other daughter was mascot with Mikey S. They gave us 3 tcikets and we already had 2 season tickets so whole family there. They let you on pitch to take photos, but they send you proper photo through on email that gives professional finish to the day.

You need to buy a strip, but all in all, it is well worth it and the kids have a great day. The staff looking after mascots are first class and very helpful.

my son was mascot against dundee utd a few years ago had his own thread on here i think ?? :whistling:

might be the game my boy was a mascot. there were three of them and the ref who's name i can't remember gave them all a ?1 coin. it is a good day and he loved it. they had to wear their own strip but then if they are a real jambo any kid who supports them will surely have one. i know one of the other boys dads that day had to go to the shop and buy his son a brand new strip which still had the creases in it.

i had three season tickets at that time but they gave us two which my mum and wife used.

iknow it is supposed to be a random draw but sometimes who you know can help

William H. Bonney

might be the game my boy was a mascot. there were three of them and the ref who's name i can't remember gave them all a ?1 coin. it is a good day and he loved it. they had to wear their own strip but then if they are a real jambo any kid who supports them will surely have one. i know one of the other boys dads that day had to go to the shop and buy his son a brand new strip which still had the creases in it.

i had three season tickets at that time but they gave us two which my mum and wife used.

iknow it is supposed to be a random draw but sometimes who you know can help

I think its quite sad that hearts don't provide strips for their mascots. I was given a free strip and that was 1989. Not to mention countless goodies. Surely money isn't that tight!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

How do you apply for it?

(For my wee brother, not for myself! Although, is there definitely an upper age limit? :whistling: )

I was the mascot for a Hearts Celtic match around 2001-ish. Think we lost 3-1 or something similar. Severin scored a drilled free kick for us. My Dad has the photograph of myself and Colin Cameron, Paul Lambert, Willie Young and Hearty Harry in the centre circle.

Archived