University Entertainment Committees

Serge

No joke, we had the proclaimers. They took some amount of abuse, but in my defence i was very, very drunk.

Led Zep at freshers week? Doesnt bear thinking about.

Freshers week in February?

Our Ents Commitee booked Nrivana just before they released "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I was a bit skint so I thought "I'll just catch the next tour instead". I wasn't too bothered because I didn't really buy into their act. I thought all that angsty rage and self loathing was all a bit fake.

You can onlyget these things so wrong

Freshers week in February?

Our Ents Commitee booked Nrivana just before they released "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I was a bit skint so I thought "I'll just catch the next tour instead". I wasn't too bothered because I didn't really buy into their act. I thought all that angsty rage and self loathing was all a bit fake.

You can onlyget these things so wrong

I know the Led Zep wasn't for Freshers Week, but even so...

We did have the Stranglers playing in the HWU canteen at Riccarton in Sept 1977 though.

I was too thick to go to university (this was the 80's when you couldn't do a BSc in catering or gardening) and my dole money didn't stretch to many gigs. It just gave me another reason to hate Edinburgh Uni students.

Dean Winchester

I'm sure that I read on here that Pink Floyd played an Edinburgh Uni gig as one of their first ever gigs as well.

Didn't AC/DC as well? At least one of their first UK gigs anyway

Did security at Glasgow Uni freshers week.Free Tenants lager and A tribe Called Quest the Saturday night after they went too number one.Can you dig it?

We got The Supernaturals, they were utter mince and pretty much sulked that they had to play Smile.

We also had The Commitments as well at some point.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Napier got Rizzle Kicks this year, they were number 1 when they performed. Think Loick Essien was lined up too but I'm not sure if he turned up or not because I never went. Was supposed to have been pretty good though.

Napier got Rizzle Kicks this year, they were number 1 when they performed. Think Loick Essien was lined up too but I'm not sure if he turned up or not because I never went. Was supposed to have been pretty good though.

I have never heard of Rizzle Kicks or Loick Essien............officially a sign im getting old.

Are they seriously names of bands/people?

Had Chesney Hawkes. He played 'the one and only' and everyone cheered. Then he cracked on with other stuff and everyone went to the bar. 10mins or so later the crowd demanded he played 'the one and only' again. And he did. I'm fairly sure he played that song 4 or 5 times before he finished. Good lad :D

Archived