Trolling on t'interweb - so what actually is it?

redm

Found this earlier and thought it made interesting reading. Lots of it will sound instantly familiar to those who use this messageboard (or any other) with any regularity but I was quite taken aback to read about charges being brought against particularly 'bad' trolls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-14898564

The bit about the middle aged neighbour setting up false accounts on MySpace in order to gain and then later betray the trust of a kid was particularly frightening....

Cant stand trolls.

:look:

I read it earlier today. They kind of focussed top heavily on the idea of malevolent, vicious trolls rather than looking at folk winding each other up which is what 99.999% of trolling is.

The only part of that i found genuinely interesting was where randi zuckerberg said that internet anonymity should be removed. This fish was not amused by that.

I read it earlier today. They kind of focussed top heavily on the idea of malevolent, vicious trolls rather than looking at folk winding each other up which is what 99.999% of trolling is.

The only part of that i found genuinely interesting was where randi zuckerberg said that internet anonymity should be removed. This fish was not amused by that.

But I know who you are(should do really)

But I know who you are(should do really)

Yip, and thats why i've not trolled your good self.

It does make a game at tynie that little bit more interesting knowing that at any moment i might get a tap on the shoulder from someone who I enraged in a thread about sustainable fuels.

If I were a troll - which of course I'm not :smuggy: - I would suggest that Kickback has turned cheeky, essentially harmless trolling into an art form. I can't believe there are many other messageboards with wits as sharp as this one has; and am frankly disappointed that the BBC has failed to mention this place.

The article instead focuses on things which aren't trolling at all. Trolling isn't about cyber bullying (which makes baby Jesus cry, btw) or abuse; it's about having a laugh. Or so I'm told, anyway. :ninja:

Yip, and thats why i've not trolled your good self.

It does make a game at tynie that little bit more interesting knowing that at any moment i might get a tap on the shoulder from someone who I enraged in a thread about sustainable fuels.

im pointing you out :thumbsup:

An older woman at my work started telling me about trolling one day. "Have you heard of this practice?", she said.

"I think I've heard the word", said I.

::troll:::'>

The People's Chimp

An older woman at my work started telling me about trolling one day. "Have you heard of this practice?", she said.

"I think I've heard the word", said I.

I'm really grateful for the advice on the BBC website on "how to spot a troll."

Very helpful.

Nicholas Brody

sums it up tbh. Very informative, imo.

sums it up tbh. Very informative, imo.

:lol:

I'm not clicking on it.

Archived