Rooney like Pele

TNCASTLE

So Wayne must be well hung? That's the only possible similarity with Pele. It's like comparing God to Ian Paisley......

Gregory House M.D.

Rooney couldnt lace Pele's bare feet :facepalm:

Shite made-up witty remark HS. I'd expect better. Pele couldn't lace Pele's bare feet. If he did it'd be incredibly painful. :P

Gregory House M.D.

Pele wouldn't score half his goals these days IMO.

Modern players would stroll through teams from 40-50 years ago with ease. Also IMO.

Pel? scored 703 goals in his career (No I won't count exhibition matches) which Rooney won't match but IMHO, Pele would've struggled to score half of that these days.

Modern players would stroll through teams from 40-50 years ago with ease. Also IMO.

Pel? scored 703 goals in his career (No I won't count exhibition matches) which Rooney won't match but IMHO, Pele would've struggled to score half of that these days.

Utter nonsense, Rooney wouldn't have coped years ago what with always being injured. How worse would they be if he was getting properly tackled on a weekly basis? He'd be lucky if he played 10 games a season.

Of course.

This might sound bizarre to you (most things seem to) but if Pele played in the modern era he'd have modern fitness and training. And as a natural athlete he would have prospered. I'm not so sure some modern players would do playing on rotten muddy pitches in heavy boots with a heavy ball.

But of course you're right, Pele isn't that good really. :whistling:

Chad Sexington

18 year old Two Pints fan writes off Pele. :vrface:

Comparing footballers generations apart is not only pretty much impossible, but stupid and meaningless.

Same goes for Boxers, Golfers etc

Gregory House M.D.

Of course.

This might sound bizarre to you (most things seem to) but if Pele played in the modern era he'd have modern fitness and training. And as a natural athlete he would have prospered. I'm not so sure some modern players would do playing on rotten muddy pitches in heavy boots with a heavy ball.

But of course you're right, Pele isn't that good really. :whistling:

Point me to where I said he wasn't good?

alwaysthereinspirit

Rooney couldnt lace Pele's bare feet :facepalm:

If only the players on our team who couldn't lace Pele's bare feet were as bad as Rooney.:whistling:

We_are_the_Hearts

Think Sir Alex will be meaning style. Can score with left foot, right foot, head. Like to drop off and take the ball, link with midfield players or spray it out wide then get back in the box.

As for comparisons in greatness, you can't compare between different generations in my opinions. Both are up there as one of the best of their generation though.

The biggest slight on Pele is that he never tried himself in European football.

The pinnacle of world football, imo.

Was Europe at the pinnacle of world football in the 70's when he was at the height of his career though?

Was Europe at the pinnacle of world football in the 70's when he was at the height of his career though?

Yup.

Yup.

Possibly but back then players were less likely to leave their own domestic league outwith the home nation players.

Nowadays players are judged on how they play in Europe as well as internationally back then those considered the best in the world were those who starred in the World Cup with George Best being an exception.

Possibly but back then players were less likely to leave their own domestic league outwith the home nation players.

Nowadays players are judged on how they play in Europe as well as internationally back then those considered the best in the world were those who starred in the World Cup with George Best being an exception.

That may be the case, but I feel my point still has merit.

Pele will never be the greatest player in the world in my eyes as he never left his comfort zone of South America.

Maradona wins that competition for me.

Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, Platini, Eusebio, Best, Zidane. Just cant ever see Rooney's name in a list like this

He said Pele was a very aggressive attacking player. That surprised me, I have never seen Pele play but I never had that image of him in my head. I just guessed he was very skillful.

Think Sir Alex will be meaning style. Can score with left foot, right foot, head. Like to drop off and take the ball, link with midfield players or spray it out wide then get back in the box.

As for comparisons in greatness, you can't compare between different generations in my opinions. Both are up there as one of the best of their generation though.

This is probably it.

I haven't read anyone say he is as good as Pele, just that his style is similar.

EDIT: Pele, I imagine made his teams tick and was the focal point of the teams he played in.

"If you look at Pele, for instance, he was a very aggressive attacker also who could look after himself - so can Rooney.

"They have similarities that way in terms of strength, speed, determination."

Manchester United?s manager made the comparison after his Benfica counterpart Jorge Jesus said Rooney had elements of the South American style of playing the game.

He added: "I disagree there, I think Wayne's a typical British player.

"But there have been British players over the years who've had similar qualities that make them great players, whether it's Paul Gascoigne, George Best, Bobby Charlton or Denis Law.

"The similarities are that the boy has great courage, he wants to play all the time and he has incredible stamina. These are added extras to the talent he has.

"Wayne has shown great maturity in his game, that's what happens when you reach your mid-20s.

"You get more authority in game, your timing becomes better and your understanding becomes better."

Says they have similar qualities, but doesn't appear to say he's as good at Pele.

Then again, Sir Alex knows more about football than anyone else in this country :smuggy:

18 year old Two Pints fan writes off Pele. :vrface:

Exactly, what a plonker.

Pele is the best player ever. I rate Rooney, but watch the 1970 World Cup videos. Played in 4 World Cups, won 3. Messi is no Pele (yet).

yabadabadoo1874again

Funniest thing all week... : )

yabadabadoo1874again

Exactly...a genius list and Rooney doesn't figure in probable inductees...like Messi....miles and miles away... an also ran : )

Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, Platini, Eusebio, Best, Zidane. Just cant ever see Rooney's name in a list like this

Fozzyonthefence

Is anyone surprised the childish pwick is spouting pish again?

Just heard on Sky Sports he spat the dummy again with a female reporting with some question about the goakeeping position at OT & whether he Spanish geezer was dropped tonight. He's a total roaster - wondering if he'll stop doing interviews for Sky now?

Fozzyonthefence

Exactly...a genius list and Rooney doesn't figure in probable inductees...like Messi....miles and miles away... an also ran : )

Messi - miles and miles away? You're having a laugh.

Says they have similar qualities, but doesn't appear to say he's as good at Pele.

Then again, Sir Alex knows more about football than anyone else in this country :smuggy:

Lawssier, surely?

Otherwise, agree with Sten - you cannae really compare eras because of the technology, the changes to the rules and the modern training techniques. All you can do is what Fergie seems to have done, which is compare styles of play.

dobmisterdobster

Shite made-up witty remark HS. I'd expect better. Pele couldn't lace Pele's bare feet. If he did it'd be incredibly painful. :P

shoes11.jpg

They were trying to say on mnf that Rooney was the best in the world right now! Why do they do it do themselves? Messi is so much better then him it's unreal, why build the idiot up!

They were trying to say on mnf that Rooney was the best in the world right now! Why do they do it do themselves? Messi is so much better then him it's unreal, why build the idiot up!

They didn't, though.

The fella asked Gary Neville if he was, quickly correcting himself to say 'one' of the best in the world.

Nice fictional story though.

Rooney is class and if the English overate him some on here underate him!!

Like sten says you cant compare players from differant generations and im too young to have seen pele anyway(my dad considers him the best ever).

I dont even think you can compare Messi and Rooney they play the game differantly both genius footballers,also while both are

the star players at their teams i think barca could manage withot Messi but Utd would find it alot harder without Rooney.

Rooney is class and if the English overate him some on here underate him!!

Like sten says you cant compare players from differant generations and im too young to have seen pele anyway(my dad considers him the best ever).

I dont even think you can compare Messi and Rooney they play the game differantly both genius footballers,also while both are

the star players at their teams i think barca could manage withot Messi but Utd would find it alot harder without Rooney.

Pretty hard to manage without a guy who gets over 50 goals a season.

Just heard on Sky Sports he spat the dummy again with a female reporting with some question about the goakeeping position at OT & whether he Spanish geezer was dropped tonight. He's a total roaster - wondering if he'll stop doing interviews for Sky now?

Just putting a scouser firmly in their place as he does and has done for many a year now!

Kenny's daughter should know better. Stick to Anne Summers and Tupperware parties luv.

Oh, and it was ITV fozzy. If you're going to get your g-string in a twist get your facts right will you.

Pretty hard to manage without a guy who gets over 50 goals a season.

I think they could find someone to bang in few with the other players the have, for me xavi and iniesta are more important to barca than messi.Im not saying he wouldnt be missed just not as much as rooney would at utd.

Archived