Deutsches fussball internat (in Germany)

Craig Herbertson

Craig Herbertson

My son's team got invited along to this place for training (I think they invite any reasonable teams) It's a sort of Boarding school for athletes.

http://www.deutschesfussballinternat.de/

Place was about the size of Perth, had more facilities than Atlanta Airport. Cafes (Coffee was 20 cents), xboxes, internet rooms, saunas, pool tables, medics. Loads of pitches and gyms, sports trainers everywhere. Some of the Duisburg under 23's roomed there permanently and are driven to the games. Not a chance I could afford to send my son there for ten minutes never mind a year.

Nothing beats natural ability I suppose but I just looked and thought what chance does Scotland have of competing against players who emerge from this kind of set up having started at the age of ten or so? Do we have anything like it?

J Cheever Loophole

My son's team got invited along to this place for training (I think they invite any reasonable teams) It's a sort of Boarding school for athletes.

http://www.deutsches...allinternat.de/

Place was about the size of Perth, had more facilities than Atlanta Airport. Cafes (Coffee was 20 cents), xboxes, internet rooms, saunas, pool tables, medics. Loads of pitches and gyms, sports trainers everywhere. Some of the Duisburg under 23's roomed there permanently and are driven to the games. Not a chance I could afford to send my son there for ten minutes never mind a year.

Nothing beats natural ability I suppose but I just looked and thought what chance does Scotland have of competing against players who emerge from this kind of set up having started at the age of ten or so? Do we have anything like it?

Don't know about nowadays but I remember when we went to the county trials we wore jerseys heavier than a wet donkey jacket and when we tucked them in,it looked like you had a shit filled nappy on,and you ran like you did anaw.down.gif

ps your post count and location is very apt.wink.gif

Randle P McMurphy

germany should be the prototype for all football. they develop players properly, they invest in coaching and facilities, they look after the fans, the league is competitive, the prices are reasonable.

i watched the dortmund vs arsenal game tonight. fantastic game, great young players, attacking football, brilliant atmosphere, standing sections, beer at the game. all for less than you would pay to watch an spl game.

http://www.deutsches...allinternat.de/

I assume your son has a bit of talent? In which case, maybe this is the sort of thing the SFA should be helping you fund........would clearly improve him as a player which would only benefit Scotland.

germany should be the prototype for all football. they develop players properly, they invest in coaching and facilities, they look after the fans, the league is competitive, the prices are reasonable.

i watched the dortmund vs arsenal game tonight. fantastic game, great young players, attacking football, brilliant atmosphere, standing sections, beer at the game. all for less than you would pay to watch an spl game.

They do seem to have got it right on so many levels, both on and off the pitch.

Maybe we could make mullets and denim waistcoats compulsory at youth level

Well, you've got to start somewhere :D

I assume your son has a bit of talent? In which case, maybe this is the sort of thing the SFA should be helping you fund........would clearly improve him as a player which would only benefit Scotland.

He lives in Germany. His son may be German. That wouldn't help Scotland.. :wink:

spoton.png

Craig Herbertson

spoton.png

My son's a good player playing in a good team but I think he may well be finding his level now. From last year the best in his old team to looking about as good as the rest in the new one. One of the outstanding lads from last year got picked for Bochum and there's four others sniffing about Dortmund but either dropped or getting in to the last stages of their training programmer before being booted.

If the boy does suddenly pick up at any stage he'll definitely want to play for Scotland but that's just of a pipedream.

The system here in Germany is as you'd expect, well organised. Every ground here has an artificial pitch, many have a grass pitch plus an ash pitch and/or an artificial pitch, every one's got a clubhouse even the poorest, the games are well attended by members of the club. The players have no more or less ability than ours but the training is intensive and there's so many of them. My son has a pool of fifteen players for seven aside. One of the sides last week had a pool of about twenty. In the last three weeks we've played five tournaments,trained twice a week plus extra training for half the team - in total four nights a week training plus one or two 90 minute tournaments at the weekend. He's ten years old mind. As they get older the tempo ups.

Although the Germans have more players to pick from (8 million people are members of a football club)we ought to be able to do something as good on a smaller scale.

As an aside my wife and daughter watched Dortmund on Saturday - tenner a ticket - wasn't even the standing section. There's something very badly wrong with the Scottish game.

My son's a good player playing in a good team but I think he may well be finding his level now. From last year the best in his old team to looking about as good as the rest in the new one. One of the outstanding lads from last year got picked for Bochum and there's four others sniffing about Dortmund but either dropped or getting in to the last stages of their training programmer before being booted.

If the boy does suddenly pick up at any stage he'll definitely want to play for Scotland but that's just of a pipedream.

The system here in Germany is as you'd expect, well organised. Every ground here has an artificial pitch, many have a grass pitch plus an ash pitch and/or an artificial pitch, every one's got a clubhouse even the poorest, the games are well attended by members of the club. The players have no more or less ability than ours but the training is intensive and there's so many of them. My son has a pool of fifteen players for seven aside. One of the sides last week had a pool of about twenty. In the last three weeks we've played five tournaments,trained twice a week plus extra training for half the team - in total four nights a week training plus one or two 90 minute tournaments at the weekend. He's ten years old mind. As they get older the tempo ups.

Although the Germans have more players to pick from (8 million people are members of a football club)we ought to be able to do something as good on a smaller scale.

As an aside my wife and daughter watched Dortmund on Saturday - tenner a ticket - wasn't even the standing section. There's something very badly wrong with the Scottish game.

What an outstanding opportunity for your lad, wish him the best of luck. But even if he doesn?t make it at least he?s been involved in something like this from a young age, and I?m sure he?ll find his level even if you return home.

German football was going down hill for many years and after a shocking display in one of the big tournaments (can remember which one) the governing bodies, schools, football clubs got together and created a blue print for changing the game.

That was maybe 10 years ago and look at where they are now ? they looked good for a young team at the world cup, they?ve just strolled to victory in the U21?s and their full team is unbeaten in the qualifiers.

Their club teams are getting better again, Leverkusen gave Chelsea a game last night and really should have taken more from it, Dortmund squandered some amount of chances against Arsenal.

If the SFA had any desire to change our game they?d be spending their time in Germany learning and studying ? not swanning around at free junkets with their heads firmly stuck up each others backsides.

All the best to your boy, couldn't ask for a better place to learn his trade than Germany these days.

The last sentence just shows what 's wrong with football in this country. A tenner to watch a top drawer side in Germany in a state of the art stadium where-as we're getting fleeced ?15 for a midweek cup tie at Ayr United. Scandalous.

All the best to your boy, couldn't ask for a better place to learn his trade than Germany these days.

The last sentence just shows what 's wrong with football in this country. A tenner to watch a top drawer side in Germany in a state of the art stadium where-as we're getting fleeced ?15 for a midweek cup tie at Ayr United. Scandalous.

I bought a ticket for a non-ST holder for the St Mirren game - it's costing him ?23. The cosy, lazy world of professional football in Scotland needs a massive kick up the backside. Really, we're far too tolerant and indulgent here. Germany deserves every bit of success that comes its way at club and international level. They have very conspicuously got it right.

I bought a ticket for a non-ST holder for the St Mirren game - it's costing him ?23. The cosy, lazy world of professional football in Scotland needs a massive kick up the backside. Really, we're far too tolerant and indulgent here. Germany deserves every bit of success that comes its way at club and international level. They have very conspicuously got it right.

Spot on. The acceptance of being utter shite but thinking it's somehow a badge of honour really gets on my nerves.

The fans have voted with their feet, attendances will continue to fall, the old firm will continue to dominate and the national team will continue to miss out of every tournament from now on.

But so long as the suits at the SFA are getting fed and watered for free every night they'll continue to keep their heads buried.

Archived