Tommy Walker

londonjambo

One for the Hearts historians on here

Does anyone know why Tommy Walker was granted a testimonial in 1938 against Derby County ?? He was only 22 at the time and had only been signed for about 6 years so it wasnt for long service.

Might it have been anything to do with his loyalty to Hearts during the 1935 potential transfer to Arsenal ??

I cant seem to find anything about it in the usual sources.

Anyone ITK :thumbsup: ??

GC

WorldChampions1902

One for the Hearts historians on here

Does anyone know why Tommy Walker was granted a testimonial in 1938 against Derby County ?? He was only 22 at the time and had only been signed for about 6 years so it wasnt for long service.

Might it have been anything to do with his loyalty to Hearts during the 1935 potential transfer to Arsenal ??

I cant seem to find anything about it in the usual sources.

Anyone ITK :thumbsup: ??

GC

As you are probably aware, TW attracted confirmed interest from Arsenal, Charlton Athletic, Aston Villa (and probably others) before his ultimate transfer to Chelsea. I have found the TW story particularly interesting and have a few bits & bobs on him. I can say for sure that an item in the Scotsman in 1937 reported TW's intention to go to Edinburgh University to study for "the Ministry", and the article says that this was quote, "one of the real reasons why Walker has not joined Arsenal, who have been reported as willing to pay a record fee and why he has not accepted several lucrative business offers".

As for your question on the Testimonial, I did have a copy of the Scotsmans Match Report somewhere which may give us a clue and I'll see if I can dig it out.

Th more I hear about Tommy Walker the more I think he was a rare and good man, even outside of his football career.

He was indeed always open and friendly, and no fool.

Willie Poland did say that his one fault was he was not 'nasty' enough, Poland himself would have made a good, tough, manager. However it was Walker that threw Willie Hamilton and Norrie Davidson out for their drinking culture.

Japan Jambo could help, I understand she is related, possibly her Grandad?

You're right, they are are related. My girlfriend is Lynn's neice. :thumbsup:

No real clues in the Scotsman report

http://londonhearts..../1938041101.htm

Thanks Dave

Interestingly, I got an e-mail from a JKB member (I dont know his username so not sure whether he has posted on this thread - I suspect not) which said that he believed that in those days, players were granted a "benefit" match after 5 years service and a "testimonial" after 10 years service. What he wasnt clear about was whether the financial arrangements for each were the same.

That does actually tie in with the first paragraph of the Scotsman report which does suggest, first, that this was a "benefit" game rather than a testimonial (need to change the website Dave ;)) and that it was indeed for 5 years service at the club.

Which led me to wonder about "benefit" games - when were they phased out and how many others were granted them - presumably, in those days it would be relatively common for players to stay at the club for 5 years.

Thanks to all who have replied so far

GC

He was indeed always open and friendly, and no fool.

Willie Poland did say that his one fault was he was not 'nasty' enough, Poland himself would have made a good, tough, manager. However it was Walker that threw Willie Hamilton and Norrie Davidson out for their drinking culture.

A wee bit off topic, but there is a classic story of WH and ND.

A few guys having a drink up town before the game. They decide at 2.45 to jump a taxi along to Tynie.

They open the door to get in, at the same time 2 guys jump in from the other side.

"Hey, this is our cab, we're trying to get to Tynecastle for the kick off!" they screamed.

"Aye and we're playing" came the reply!

Aye, it was Willie and Norrie after a few pre match pints rushing to get to Tynie for a game!

Don't think they played that day, I really wonder why? ;)

A wee bit off topic, but there is a classic story of WH and ND.

A few guys having a drink up town before the game. They decide at 2.45 to jump a taxi along to Tynie.

They open the door to get in, at the same time 2 guys jump in from the other side.

"Hey, this is our cab, we're trying to get to Tynecastle for the kick off!" they screamed.

"Aye and we're playing" came the reply!

Aye, it was Willie and Norrie after a few pre match pints rushing to get to Tynie for a game!

Don't think they played that day, I really wonder why? ;)

Could be rumour, but sounds frighteningly true! :rolleyes:

Archived