Buying a new van/car

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Looking to buy a new van for my business as my old one is knackered.

Paying cash and not trading in and wondering what kind of deal I could expect.

Was looking at a new Merc Vito yesterday (which is what I want) and I was wondering what kind of deal I should be pushing for given the current economic climate. (according to the salesman vans were flying out the door but then he would say that right?)

Got offered 12% discount without even asking but I'm looking at dropping over ?23k on this by the time I add in a few extras.

Never bought a new vehicle before so any advice would be appreciated.

Go at the end of the month :thumbsup: salesmen have targets to meet and will most likely do a better deal (for yourself) at the end of the month to keep their targets up.

If vans are like cars, are you not better buying a year old and saving thousands?

Also this.

Consider a brand new Ford Focus might cost ?14,000 on the showroom forecourt.

Get a year old one that has maybe done 5,000 miles...Around ?3,000 off the original price at least.

chester copperpot

Also this.

Consider a brand new Ford Focus might cost ?14,000 on the showroom forecourt.

Get a year old one that has maybe done 5,000 miles...Around ?3,000 off the original price at least.

Would also echo the sentiments on this. An ex hire van will have been looked after very well and well maintained, and I think buying new (especially now) is like throwing money down the drain.

Nearly new is the future mate.

Looking to buy a new van for my business as my old one is knackered.

Paying cash and not trading in and wondering what kind of deal I could expect.

Was looking at a new Merc Vito yesterday (which is what I want) and I was wondering what kind of deal I should be pushing for given the current economic climate. (according to the salesman vans were flying out the door but then he would say that right?)

Got offered 12% discount without even asking but I'm looking at dropping over ?23k on this by the time I add in a few extras.

Never bought a new vehicle before so any advice would be appreciated.

I have a few vans and pick ups in my company - wouldnt by a Vito, overpriced and expensive to fix, do you mean you would pay ?23k for one?

I'm sure I paid ?22k for 2 Vivaro LWB last time I bought vans, i'll check this out and confirm it.

What do you want it for, what wieght/volume goods are you shifting?

:huh:

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Bit more info might help.

Personally I'd never buy a new vehicle as they devalue as soon as you drive them off the forecourt.

I'm getting a 5 year interest free loan from the Energy Saving Trust but the conditions are that 1. The vehicle is new 2. The emmisions are under 200g/km (for the size of van I want)

The Vito Blue Efficiency model is one of the few vans that fall under that level for something with a decent bit of poke to it (130bhp) and it comes with a 5 year warranty and 12 year anti corrosion guarantee. It'll mostly be used for deilvering bikes. We deliver bikes Scotland wide as part of one of our dealership obligations (no mail order!) and it'll be used for weekend trips away biking as a quasi campervan.

I like Mercs, it's a moving billboard for the shop at biking venues and the residuals are much higher for the likes of Vito's and Transporters than say Transits, Nissans and suchlike.

I have a Vito. Good van, but has had 'issues' :whistling:

Anyway, you are unlikely to get much discount as there is not that much margin in the retail prices, if you were taking their finance you would more likely get a bit more discount. Adding extras that are factory fit might allow a bit of leaway on them for discount, but again probably not too much.

I had a Vito from new for two years.

Not, I repeat not the Mercedes experience you would expect.Numerous reliability issues,poor quality,heavy fuel consumption.Absolutely shocking dealer support from edinburghs "local" merc agent.Meteoric depreciation.Phuqueing unbelievable tyre wear.The model I had had manufacturer specific tyres for size and high speed rating,i waited 3 months for replacement tyres as Continental had to make them.

Could not wait to get shot of it.Phuqueing useless waste of phuqueing money.

VW Transporter for me every time. Every Vito I see is riddled with rust. Transporter have a much better sell on value as they appeal to campers, surfers etc and are way better looking anyway.

I had a Vito from new for two years.

Not, I repeat not the Mercedes experience you would expect.Numerous reliability issues,poor quality,heavy fuel consumption.Absolutely shocking dealer support from edinburghs "local" merc agent.Meteoric depreciation.Phuqueing unbelievable tyre wear.The model I had had manufacturer specific tyres for size and high speed rating,i waited 3 months for replacement tyres as Continental had to make them.

Could not wait to get shot of it.Phuqueing useless waste of phuqueing money.

Man that sounds like a shocker of an experience!

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I'm sure I have seen Citroen advertising a years free fuel with new Vans.

Ive had a new Citroen Dispatch for just over 6 months and its a great vehicle, so far..:thumbsup:

Depreciation starts as soon as you drive the vehicle out of the showroom.

If it is for business a better option is to lease a vehicle which gives you 100% tax relief on your books so it doesn't actually cost you as all costs with servicing are tax deductable. Depends how you run your business though and be careful if you buy cash, the taxman doesn't ask questions about where the money came from :whistling:

I had a m8 once who didn't pay a lot of tax. Unfortunately a local tax inspector was passing his house on the bus and happened to notice the new Range Rover in his driveway. It didn't help with the tax guy having to sit on a smelly bus everyday and my m8 was pulled in for an investigation. Cost him a few bob in unpaid tax lol!

Leasing is the way to go IMHO :thumbsup:

Right now's a great time for buying vans from the market with the amount of companies folding. I would avoid buying single vans at the market but when they go on bulk you know they're not trying to punt a dud. I bought my last van 6 months ago when ROK went bust and punted 50odd vans to the market. There were too many vans for buyers so they went for washers. I got a dark blue medium top medium wheel base Transit, 35000 miles, 2 1/2 years old with roof rack and fully lined for 5k. It would have been closer to 9k on a forecourt.

Glasgow Market

Would also echo the sentiments on this. An ex hire van will have been looked after very well and well maintained, and I think buying new (especially now) is like throwing money down the drain.

Nearly new is the future mate.

Ex hire vans should be avoided as they generally get the arse kicked out of them due to people not giving a shi* about them.

Archived