Roberto Martinez talks up Scottish footballers

tartofmidlothian

Apologies if posted. Plenty of kind words.

http://news.bbc.co.u...nd/14757139.stm

" In recent seasons, he had returned there to sign McCarthy and fellow midfielder James McArthur from Hamilton, Gary Caldwell from Celtic and Connor Sammon from Kilmarnock. "

Unfortunately, of those mentioned, one is Oirish, and another an actual citizen of the Irish Republic. Footballers having played and come to wider attention in Scotland, certainly; "Scottish footballers"...?!?!? Ain't necessarily so...

" In recent seasons, he had returned there to sign McCarthy and fellow midfielder James McArthur from Hamilton, Gary Caldwell from Celtic and Connor Sammon from Kilmarnock. "

Unfortunately, of those mentioned, one is Oirish, and another an actual citizen of the Irish Republic. Footballers having played and come to wider attention in Scotland, certainly; "Scottish footballers"...?!?!? Ain't necessarily so...

Not to mention the Malaysian he just signed...

Not to mention the Malaysian he just signed...

Malaysian born, grew up in Aiburdeenyeken... :blink:

Ai Wei Zinjurd?

:thumbsup:

I think one reason why Martinez is complimentary about Scottish Football may well have been down to his short spell at Motherwell which only ended because of Boyle taking it into administration just under a decade ago.

He was talking up Scottish Football and the players in it.

I like Martinez, a really respectable and loyal guy.

tartofmidlothian

He was talking up Scottish Football and the players in it.

I like Martinez, a really respectable and loyal guy.

Think it's a bit of both. He does talk up the league, but then say "I think Scottish players are unique - they've got a real hunger to succeed."

It's a good antidote to the usual ill-informed negativity you get south of the border, from someone with a bit of perspective and intelligence.

Not only did he spend a short time with Motherwell he does not have the English arrogant ignorance of Scots football.This gives him an open mind about players. Big clubs can indeed afford expensive players but Martinez does find some good ones from elsewhere. OK Caldwell might stick out like a sore thumb but he speaks well and has the right idea.

Archived