Trading in car

Captain America

Captain America

Alright guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I went to car dealership on Monday to get new car and trade in my car, all the paperwork was done and I'm meant to pick up the new car early next week. When the guy was valueing my car he didn't check under the bonnet just round the car looking at tyres and for any bumps on car.

The car was fine on Monday, but today the car cut out on me when I was driving to work, it restarted and managed to get it home, my step-dad came and had a look at it and thinks there is problem with engine and could cost hundreds to fix. He thinks the car should make it to the dealership but doesn't advise I drive it between then and now.

My questions is after I to get the car to the dealership, do they normally do another check on the car? and if not after the paperwork is signed next week is there any comeback on me once they find the problem?

I know it is not morally right what I planning to do but finances mean I can't afford getting the old one fix only to trade it in next week.

Chaka Demus & pliers

They won't check it.

I traded my car in a few months back as fifth gear went and I wanted to get some money for it before the rest of the gears went too.

They didn't even look at my car when I first went in to look nor when I went to pick the new car up.

It's a good idea not to drive it between then and now and then so you can at least make sure you get it there. If they were that bothered about anything being wrong with the cars they are getting as a trade then they'd take more time checking them over.

The Salesman actually made a comment while laughing as I handed over the keys to the old car of something like "Now we find out your car's only worth ?50"

I didn't feel guilty at all trading my car in, however I would never have sold it privately knowing what was wrong with it.

I'm assuming the car you are trading in is older so will probably go straight to the auctions anyway. Again anyone buying from an auction knows the risks in buying without a test drive or whatever.

Chaka Demus & pliers

I'd also add that you are dealing with Used Car Salesmen here so why should you act with morals when they don't?!

Captain America

That puts my mind at ease then if they won't check it.I assumed it would just go to auction. Now just need the car to make it's last journey.

Captain America

I'd also add that you are dealing with Used Car Salesmen here so why should you act with morals when they don't?!

Yeah, that true but I like to think I'm better than them when it comes to morals,turns out I'm not :whistling:

Alright guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I went to car dealership on Monday to get new car and trade in my car, all the paperwork was done and I'm meant to pick up the new car early next week. When the guy was valueing my car he didn't check under the bonnet just round the car looking at tyres and for any bumps on car.

The car was fine on Monday, but today the car cut out on me when I was driving to work, it restarted and managed to get it home, my step-dad came and had a look at it and thinks there is problem with engine and could cost hundreds to fix. He thinks the car should make it to the dealership but doesn't advise I drive it between then and now.

My questions is after I to get the car to the dealership, do they normally do another check on the car? and if not after the paperwork is signed next week is there any comeback on me once they find the problem?

I know it is not morally right what I planning to do but finances mean I can't afford getting the old one fix only to trade it in next week.

Had a similar position as you couple of years and you will be fine as long as you get it to dealers. :rolleyes:

As advised wouldnt drive the car again until the actual day but i would go out and start it up on a daily basis and let the engine run for a while. Good luck but sure you will be ok. :thumbsup:

I'll tow you to the garage the night before so you dont need to drive it , just turn up give then the keys tell them it's parked on the street !

Doctor FinnBarr

It never cuts out when im in, buy me some Sainsburys chicken wings and ill come along on the drive!

Is this code for "dogging"?

:o

Sergio Garcia

Post match food is always something from the chicken counter at Gorgie Sainsburys, which I was told after the Hibs match I wasnt allowed due to the proposed trade in!

So its exactly what I wrote, no hidden meaning im afraid!

The Old Tolbooth

The dealer will probably send the car straight to auction anyway to be sold as seen mate, I wouldn't worry about it. I traded in the wifes old bag of shite earlier this year and it had the wrong engine in it and everything, they didn't even bother and even gave us ?1750 as a trade in, I nearly bit both his arms off! :thumbsup:

Car dealers are the one breed of people I have no problem getting one over on without having a guilt trip :thumbsup:

Did this with a completely fecked Montego which I got to the Ford garage@Portobello ,with the help of a trailor and a mechanic mate,where I got my 2nd hand Orion very cheaply.I really liked that Orion which was later traded for a Mondeo Ghia

Did this with a completely fecked Montego which I got to the Ford garage@Portobello ,with the help of a trailor and a mechanic mate,where I got my 2nd hand Orion very cheaply.I really liked that Orion which was later traded for a Mondeo Ghia

Woo is that a step up on a Capri Ghia?

You gave them every opportunity to check it out. Buyer beware. Stuff em.

Well played. Definitely do the towing thing. Great idea.

Jambof3tornado

Some classic cars in that post! Mate had a 1.6i orion. Went like brown stuff off a shovel!

When I traded in my wreck a few months ago I told them it had a full tank so they gave me an extra ?50. When I left it with them two days later, it was running on fumes and had some steelies instead of the alloys that had been on it.

Jambof3tornado

Woo is that a step up on a Capri Ghia?

I remember the minister up in Roslin,Mr Manson having the 2.8i capri,thought he was cool as **** for a man of the cloth!

The Old Tolbooth

The very first car I ever owned was an old banger out of a scrap yard which a mate fixed up and managed to get running again (not very well though). I paid about ?500 for it because it had been written off, and I went to trade it in and the guy in the garage offered me ?2000 on a trade in, I thought I'd won the lottery!

2 weeks later, the salesman at the garage called me and asked if I had known it had been a write off, to which I obviously played dumb and said no, apparently they only managed to get ?200 for it at an auction, shame really :whistling:

Captain America

Cheers for replies boys. I only going out to car to turn engine on make sure it still starts, should be next Wednesday the day I have to take it down so I have about half a week without car but I've been able to arrange lifts to work so I'm sorted.

Thinking of putting my Star Wars Yoda dashboard toy back in the car for the trip and using the 'force' for the last 15 miles :)

:thumbsup:

Cheers for replies boys. I only going out to car to turn engine on make sure it still starts, should be next Wednesday the day I have to take it down so I have about half a week without car but I've been able to arrange lifts to work so I'm sorted.

Thinking of putting my Star Wars Yoda dashboard toy back in the car for the trip and using the 'force' for the last 15 miles :)

You can let us know how you get on ! May the force be with you.

Some classic cars in that post! Mate had a 1.6i orion. Went like brown stuff off a shovel!

When was the last time an Orion got a mention on a car thread.Superb motor.Mind you Mrs X proferred the Mondeo much more room for exorcise :rolleyes:

they dont care about your car, it will go straight to auction.

the price they give you as trade in will be more than compensated for by the "admin charge for credit"..

car dealers always win.

always.

its why they are in the trade.

read your small print and credit details.

Sergio Garcia

You can let us know how you get on ! May the force be with you.

Early reports suggest it has been a successful mission. Though I have yet to have that totally confirmed, ill keep my eye on Twitter and Sky News for further news!

Captain America

Early reports suggest it has been a successful mission. Though I have yet to have that totally confirmed, ill keep my eye on Twitter and Sky News for further news!

Early reports proved correct, car got to Motherwell no problem in the end, now got my new shiny car sitting outside.

I now fully believe in the power of force. Dashboard Yoda was an ingenius idea.

Archived