New Memorial

gorgie_rebel

William H. Bonney

Nice idea but isnt the war memorial at haymarket adequate. Perhaps we should have a statue at tynecastle. They would be better off working with charities like erskine to help raise money.

Nice idea but isnt the war memorial at haymarket adequate. Perhaps we should have a statue at tynecastle. They would be better off working with charities like erskine to help raise money.

Well which one is it?

Haymarket(or wherever the council put it)

So what about a memorial for the players, specifically for Hearts at the ground?

gorgie_rebel

What I took from the article was that it was a Memorial to the team of 1914 which makes it different to the war memorial??

Maybe I'm wrong

I think it's a long overdue testemony to the players at the club at the time.

I imagine it would be erected at Tynecastle as well which makes it personal to the club

William H. Bonney

So what about a memorial for the players, specifically for Hearts at the ground?

Ok you got me. Its a good idea. Keep both. I take back my original statement. Heroes of that manner should rightly be remembered. Im actually surprised that nearly 100 years later we are talking about it. You would have thought that a statue would have been erected a long time ago.

Just feel the cairn on the somme and the memorial and ongoing service are sufficient. The money would be better spent helping the servicemen of today throughg erksine. For me the ultimate tribute to the men is that we still have a club and we still play on the ground that they graced. As it says on christopher wrens tomb..." For his monument look around you"

Haymarket(or wherever the council put it)

The council have a binding vote in place to return the Memorial to Haymarket and the friends , among others, are campaigning to make sure it happens ASAP. We are also planning on returning the service in November to Haymarket ASAP and are waiting to see detailed plans from the council to see if we can make this happen in time for this year's service. Once the Memorial is returned to Haymarket ther will need to be a ceremony of rededication which will take some planning.

The Haymarket Memorial is THE memorial to the Heart of Midlothian players. McCrae's Battalion was NOT a Hearts Battalion, but an Edinburgh Battalion, with others of course. I don't understand the need for another memorial. The idea of doing something constructive for Erskine or something similar sounds better to me.

Hearts Heritage

The Haymarket Memorial is THE memorial to the Heart of Midlothian players. McCrae's Battalion was NOT a Hearts Battalion, but an Edinburgh Battalion, with others of course. I don't understand the need for another memorial. The idea of doing something constructive for Erskine or something similar sounds better to me.

Agree. Not sure what the purpose of the new memorial is? We now all know the History of 1914 and it is suitably remembered at both Haymarket and Contalmaison.

If we want to build a Statue build one to either Bobby or Tommy Walker.

This is a fans group project & it is to be erected at Tynecastle Stadium.

I've seen a drawing of the statue & it is stunning.

Well done to all involved.

Agree. Not sure what the purpose of the new memorial is? We now all know the History of 1914 and it is suitably remembered at both Haymarket and Contalmaison.

Yup - the stadium could do with a couple statues - the Walkers, Willy Bauld, Dave MacKay, John Robertson all contenders.

The city should have one of McCrae himself elsewere - but Haymarket is the Hearts War Memorial, McCraes are remembered inside St Giles

Francis Albert

The council have a binding vote in place to return the Memorial to Haymarket and the friends , among others, are campaigning to make sure it happens ASAP. We are also planning on returning the service in November to Haymarket ASAP and are waiting to see detailed plans from the council to see if we can make this happen in time for this year's service. Once the Memorial is returned to Haymarket ther will need to be a ceremony of rededication which will take some planning.

Why? A few words at the start of the first remembrance service after its return would surely suffice. (Though I remain slightly sceptical about the Council ever getting round to restoring it to its proper place - politicians' binding votes last only until another binding vote).

Like others I am a bit at a loss as to why we need another Heart of Midlothian war memorial.

Hagar the Horrible

Why? A few words at the start of the first remembrance service after its return would surely suffice. (Though I remain slightly sceptical about the Council ever getting round to restoring it to its proper place - politicians' binding votes last only until another binding vote).

Like others I am a bit at a loss as to why we need another Heart of Midlothian war memorial.

Its not a war memorial, its a memorial to the bravest and greatest team we ever had

Hearts Heritage

Its not a war memorial, its a memorial to the bravest and greatest team we ever had

Yes but they are remembered through the existing memorials.

Bobby Walker didn't even come in the 'Top 30' when there was the poll to put up the 'Banners'.

Quite simply the greatest Hearts player of all time.

Francis Albert

I would go further and say that there is a danger (not I am sure at all the intention of the organisers) that such a memorial would be adopted by those who unfortunately seem to think the history of that team is something to be used in one-upmanship, "we're better than you" type attitudes towards other teams, and seem to believe that the men fought for the glory of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

A better use of funds would be to distribute free copies of Jack Alexander's book (or for those who don't read, the documentary that I think was based on it)so that more people got to know the whole, complicated and much more interesting story rather than the popular myth of heroes spontaneously volunteering to fight and bravely die for king and country.

This sounds like an idea Vlad has come up with to me. A PR stunt for those who do not understand what the Haymarket Memorial stood for!

jylb7vljqj.jpg

I would go further and say that there is a danger (not I am sure at all the intention of the organisers) that such a memorial would be adopted by those who unfortunately seem to think the history of that team is something to be used in one-upmanship, "we're better than you" type attitudes towards other teams, and seem to believe that the men fought for the glory of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

A better use of funds would be to distribute free copies of Jack Alexander's book (or for those who don't read, the documentary that I think was based on it)so that more people got to know the whole, complicated and much more interesting story rather than the popular myth of heroes spontaneously volunteering to fight and bravely die for king and country.

I tend to agree, FA.

In my opinion the current "memorials" (and regardless of what the club say, this is basically another one) serve their purpose perfectly. Remembrance of our players who died in the War should be just that - remembrance - and in the last couple of years it seems that the club have started amping it up a little bit and turned it into a "louder" and longer-lasting event. To me it is a quiet and personal experience. For many years people have worn a poppy and maybe attended a remembrance service and that is all that is needed. Things like poppy scarves and even the poppy shirt (although the money went to charity) are a little undignified.

Their is no harm in specifically remembering men and women close to you who lost their lives in war while also taking time to think of the millions of others who also lost their lives. Many other groups or organisations do that, such as churches, schools, sports clubs and small communities and those (mainly Hibs fans) who claim that our remembrance of the 1914 players means that we are somehow claiming they are more important than everyone else is nonsense. Hearts remembering the team that signed up is right but I do think the club have to be careful that they don't overdo it.

Having said all of that it maybe is right that we have something specifically for our players at Tynecastle. The Haymarket memorial is for the entire McCrae's Battalion (as far as I'm aware) but it does seem that we take the lead in everything that surrounds it. That, maybe, (rightly or wrongly) leads to accusations of us hijacking McCrae's Battalion as our own when it's not.

Meh, bit of a ramble there!

Crazy that some on here cannot just see this for what it is.

I suggest that Hearts fans who are seeing things as a matter of one-up-manship have been bought and sold by the multitudes of hibs fans who have suggested this in the past and have managed to somehow devalue what for most Hearts fans is a sombre, individual mark of respect for all of those (including our players & fans) who suffered & then died in WW1.

If poppy shirts add to feeling of remembrance & repect for those poor souls then why shouldn't it? Also, it is not a crass thing to raise much needed funds for Erskine etc at this time. It is a noble thing to do. And if fans wish to buy these tops and contribute to the fund then why should they be critiscised?

The whole story of the players & their families who lost everything at that time is a massive part of the history of our club. It should be remembered and respected by the fans.

Before you do anything like this you should ask yourself what the men themselves would have liked in their memory. I am sure they would have preferred free season tickets for Erskine House people or orphans rather than statues.

Francis Albert

I tend to agree, FA.

In my opinion the current "memorials" (and regardless of what the club say, this is basically another one) serve their purpose perfectly. Remembrance of our players who died in the War should be just that - remembrance - and in the last couple of years it seems that the club have started amping it up a little bit and turned it into a "louder" and longer-lasting event. To me it is a quiet and personal experience. For many years people have worn a poppy and maybe attended a remembrance service and that is all that is needed. Things like poppy scarves and even the poppy shirt (although the money went to charity) are a little undignified.

Their is no harm in specifically remembering men and women close to you who lost their lives in war while also taking time to think of the millions of others who also lost their lives. Many other groups or organisations do that, such as churches, schools, sports clubs and small communities and those (mainly Hibs fans) who claim that our remembrance of the 1914 players means that we are somehow claiming they are more important than everyone else is nonsense. Hearts remembering the team that signed up is right but I do think the club have to be careful that they don't overdo it.

Having said all of that it maybe is right that we have something specifically for our players at Tynecastle. The Haymarket memorial is for the entire McCrae's Battalion (as far as I'm aware) but it does seem that we take the lead in everything that surrounds it. That, maybe, (rightly or wrongly) leads to accusations of us hijacking McCrae's Battalion as our own when it's not.

Meh, bit of a ramble there!

It's not. It's the Hearts war memorial. The only one needed. The cairn at Contalmaison is a McCrae's Battalion memorial.

I agree with the rest of your post.

It's not. It's the Hearts war memorial. The only one needed. The cairn at Contalmaison is a McCrae's Battalion memorial.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Fair enough. In that case ignore that paragraph and I agree.

The War Memorial we already have is all that's needed.

Archived