Barca -- just supreme 4-0 already after 51 mins

CJGJ

jamboinglasgow

And only 1 actual defender playing as well.

Valdes

Busquets, Mascherinao, Abidal

Keita

Iniesta Thiago

Fabergas

Sanchez, Messi, Pedro

I do think this season, in both England and Spain we will see the top two teams (Man U and Man City in England, Barcelona and Real Madrid in Spain) be on a completely different level to anyone else around, including the champions league.

jamboinglasgow

I'm going to guess. Messi has scored?

yup, got the fourth, set up the second goal for Fabergas to score, Thiago got the first and Alexis Sanchez got the third.

Valdes's save in the first half from rossi was unbelievable...even if rossi was offside. Has to be seen...looked a certain goal had he not been offside.

There is not a weak link in their team!

shaun.lawson

So, in the space of a few short days, we've had:

Manchester United 3-0 Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur 1-5 Manchester City

Manchester United 8-2 Arsenal

Real Zaragoza 0-6 Real Madrid

Barcelona 4-0 Villarreal*

*still playing

And I thought money couldn't buy you happiness? <_<

******* terrifying what this all says about the state of the modern game TBH. :mellow:

Cardiac Rucksack

Real looked a class apart last night aswell. its coming down to the two el classicos.

jamboinglasgow

And no Villa or Xavi starting! Just as well for Villareal.

Or Puyol or Pique or Dani "the roadrunner" Alves.

Fozzyonthefence

*still playing

******* terrifying what this all says about the state of the modern game TBH. :mellow:

We have already seen this starting to happen in La Liga in the last couple of seasons but it is more alarming for the state of the English game to see two of their teams with CL qualification aspirations seemingly light years behind the two Manchester teams. As someone said earlier these two could finish way ahead of the rest this season, but then again look how well Chelsea started last season and how they finished.

shaun.lawson

@Fozzy: well, yes - and of course, it's still very early days. But there's a possibility that four clubs - two in Spain, two in England - are in the process of detaching themselves from everyone else. And if that happens to a club like Chelsea, with their money for heavens sake, it'd be truly momentous.

Mind you, last season, the best team in Europe beat the second best 5-0, and the third best 3-1 going on 8-1. So it's really Barca, then a huge gap to the next three, then another massive gap: with only Chelsea (because of Abramovich and Villas-Boas) capable of bridging it.

SectionDJambo

Barcelona players not tired after playing on Friday, in another country, then ?

Hibs were tired after playing Berwick Rangers at home. :huh:

jamboinglasgow

*still playing

On a sidenote, while money is flowing at these clubs, its crazy to see Villareal playing without a shirt sponsor, not due to them taking a stand but because they couldn't find a sponsor. I watched a bit of Sevilla v Malaga yesterday and Sevilla were the same, no shirt sponsor due to not finding one, Malaga have UNESCO on their front but they owners are wealthy middle eastern businessman.

5-0 now.

More and more the top players are gravitating towards the top clubs

There used to be a time where the wages difference between top clubs was not as much but now some of the 'super clubs' can literally pay 2/3 times wages more than even what were top clubs eg Nasri and Arsenal/Man City.

PS its 5-0 now and again a fantastic team goal.

'Boss , boss... I think its time we put on a sub or two -- okay he replies lets get Xavi and David Villa on for a run out' :woot:

kingantti1874

The euro league is an absolute certainty - all the good players play for about - 10 clubs ... It's certainly not a good thing - it's a disaster for football IMO

Snake Plissken

Am I the only one who hopes Barcelona don't win La Liga this year?

I don't have much love for Real Madrid either but I'd rather they beat those sanctimonious tossers any day.

I don't have much love for Real Madrid either but I'd rather they beat those sanctimonious tossers any day.

Barca deserve to win the league every year with the football they play, I'm afraid.

Real are shit :lol:

shaun.lawson

You're certainly not. :thumbsup:

There's never been anyone better suited to Real's traditional role as Forces of Darkness than Mourinho. He'll get off on making them more unpopular than ever - but they'll be the toast of this football fan, at least, if they take the Most Up Themselves Football Team in History down. :woot:

You're certainly not. :thumbsup:

There's never been anyone better suited to Real's traditional role as Forces of Darkness than Mourinho. He'll get off on making them more unpopular than ever - but they'll be the toast of this football fan, at least, if they take the Most Up Themselves Football Team in History down. :woot:

Admit it Shaun. Its not because of Barca, its more to do with your hard on for Joe-say...:whistling:

:lol:

And I'll add my name to the list - but only because my Spanish team is Valencia.

Tommy Wiseau

Word to your mother. :jjyay:

shaun.lawson

Admit it Shaun. Its not because of Barca, its more to do with your hard on for Joe-say...:whistling:

:lol:

And I'll add my name to the list - but only because my Spanish team is Valencia.

It's both. :lol:

I'm actually supposed to hate Real Madrid - but not as long as they're managed by Jose, I won't. :wub: Meanwhile, here's a quote from Xavi after the 5-0 game last season:

"In the dressing room, we gave ourselves a standing ovation."

Alright, alright - they had just beaten Real Madrid 5-0. But honestly - it's akin to saying:

"In the dressing room, we had a collective circle jerk and full on wankfest".

Someone, somewhere, has to teach these guys a lesson in humility. Please? :mellow:

I'm actually supposed to hate Real Madrid - but not as long as they're managed by Jose, I won't. :wub: Meanwhile, here's a quote from Xavi after the 5-0 game last season:

Alright, alright - they had just beaten Real Madrid 5-0. But honestly - it's akin to saying:

Someone, somewhere, has to teach these guys a lesson in humility. Please? :mellow:

When you are the best act like the best -- they are the best and until knocked off their perch they can do what they like inside the dressing room.

Your hero Jose has no humility so why should they.

shaun.lawson

When you are the best act like the best -- they are the best and until knocked off their perch they can do what they like inside the dressing room.

Your hero Jose has no humility so why should they.

Jose's just honest. The trouble with Barca is they pretend to be the good guys, yet go around cheating, diving, and rolling halfway to Madrid in every big game they ever play.

Takes two to tango, CJGJ. Barca's problem is their flat out denial that this is ever the case. :down:

Tommy Wiseau

55-vomit.jpg

BOKE.

Snake Plissken

So I'm not alone in my dislike of Barcelona?

Good.

The thing that really turned me against them was that 'we are the world' shite they did after winning the Wealth Creation Cartel at the end of last season. Watching them skip holding hands in the centre circle while they were fawned over like deities just made me want to see them lose and badly.

Plus their strips are shite.

I think La Liga is going to be a 2 horse race.. way ahead of anyone else..

To be honest though I think both Manchester teams will drop quite a few points over the season.. the gap between the rich and the poor in the premiership isn't quite so big.. which is why it is a more exciting league.. however the Manchester teams will come unstuck against the 2 Spanish giants in the Champions League..

To be honest i hope its a Barca v Man City final in the champions league..

I think I'd excuse anyone a full-on wankfest if they beat Real Madrid 5-0.

Would you rather Xavi said, "They played well...game of two halves...end of the day the best team won...part and parcel of the game..."?

If we tanned Hibs 10-0 and Ryan Stevenson said in the interview afterwards "that was ******* great, Hibs are a worthless shell of a football team and we destroyed them", we'd build a statue of him. And rightly so.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place for humility and sportsmanship in football, but it's also refreshing to hear players actually admit they enjoy beating other teams once in a while. Anyone with an interest in journalism should appreciate that.

I sometimes wonder what people really expect from football clubs - damned if they do, etc. The one slightly fair criticism levelled at Barcelona is their diving gets out of hand, but that's limited to 4 or 5 of the team and 90% of the incidents happen during Barca v Madrid games. But seriously, otherworldly football, best player on the planet, huge amount of academy-developed players, amazing city, humble, thoughtful manager... Do people just hate them because there's virtually nothing to hate about them? It's like getting annoyed at the cleverest kid in school. If that's your reason, fair enough, just don't expect people to think it's a good one...

Count me in, can't stand Real but the Barca Wankathon does my head in. Spain is now no better than the SPL in terms of competitiveness, Real and Barca have ruined it.

Add me to the list of people who just don't like Barca.

Fantastic football, but all that "more than a club" shite pisses me off. :down:

The euro league is an absolute certainty - all the good players play for about - 10 clubs ... It's certainly not a good thing - it's a disaster for football IMO

Spot on. Will suit the armchair enthusiasts who believe football started 20 years ago but its a real tragedy for everyone else.

Can only see the big clubs threatening to walk away from UEFA if they don't shape the CL how they want it. UEFA will never go against them fully because they know it would be the end of them. If that did happen it'd be a European Superleague run alongside their national divisions like the CL is, it'll never replace their domestic leagues though. What your talking about there is a NFL style franchise across Europe's major countries, that'll never happen.

kingantti1874

Yep in the hate barca club, don't particularly like Madrid either as both of these clubs represent the death of competitive football for me, not good when every good player on earth plays for 10 - 15 clubs and 2 in particular...

Hate Madrid slightly less because of barca's mote than a club Celtic esque bullshit

I think La Liga is going to be a 2 horse race.. way ahead of anyone else..

To be honest though I think both Manchester teams will drop quite a few points over the season.. the gap between the rich and the poor in the premiership isn't quite so big.. which is why it is a more exciting league.. however the Manchester teams will come unstuck against the 2 Spanish giants in the Champions League..

To be honest i hope its a Barca v Man City final in the champions league..

:orly?:

I like watching Barcelona on my tv in the house.Detest watching them in a pub full of the greatest team ever w**** though.More than a club my erse. :lol:

shaun.lawson

I think I'd excuse anyone a full-on wankfest if they beat Real Madrid 5-0.

Would you rather Xavi said, "They played well...game of two halves...end of the day the best team won...part and parcel of the game..."?

If we tanned Hibs 10-0 and Ryan Stevenson said in the interview afterwards "that was ******* great, Hibs are a worthless shell of a football team and we destroyed them", we'd build a statue of him. And rightly so.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place for humility and sportsmanship in football, but it's also refreshing to hear players actually admit they enjoy beating other teams once in a while. Anyone with an interest in journalism should appreciate that.

I sometimes wonder what people really expect from football clubs - damned if they do, etc. The one slightly fair criticism levelled at Barcelona is their diving gets out of hand, but that's limited to 4 or 5 of the team and 90% of the incidents happen during Barca v Madrid games. But seriously, otherworldly football, best player on the planet, huge amount of academy-developed players, amazing city, humble, thoughtful manager... Do people just hate them because there's virtually nothing to hate about them? It's like getting annoyed at the cleverest kid in school. If that's your reason, fair enough, just don't expect people to think it's a good one...

Fair dos. Despite all I've written about Barca on this thread, this is a very, very good post; and the bit in bold is a very, very good point indeed.

Kudos. :thumbsup:

Charlie-Brown

Some of this is laughable - Mourinho's Porto were diving cheating scum against Celtic in Seville, him and his team lacked class then and lack any class now - great players, great manager & great record, utterly no class though, will do anything and resort to anything to win and lose the plot when they/he doesn't. :down:

Some of this is laughable - Mourinho's Porto were diving cheating scum against Celtic in Seville, him and his team lacked class then and lack any class now - great players, great manager & great record, utterly no class though, will do anything and resort to anything to win and lose the plot when they/he doesn't. :down:

spot on

lol the seethers are out in force why do people use diving as a stick to whack them with diving happens everywhere slighty off topic but ive been wondering about this for a while when are sky going to stop using the " best league in the world " line not even the most deluded person can still believe it surely

Fair dos. Despite all I've written about Barca on this thread, this is a very, very good post; and the bit in bold is a very, very good point indeed.

Kudos. :thumbsup:

Haha, cheers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for irrational hatred in football. It's pretty much built for it. If I can't spend Saturday getting annoyed with someone for having turquoise boots, I'd lose all sense of being. But let's not pretend it's mes que un irrational hatred...

Also worth remembering that for Catalans they really were a focal point during the civil war, which still has plenty living survivors. Sure, they make a big thing of it and have turned it into a bit of a (spew) branding exercise, but none of us football obsessives would pretend that it's just 22 players kicking a ball around. Real Madrid are more than a club too - they're a symbol of the Franco regime, of bought leagues and many other things that are beyond my limited knowledge of Spanish football.

A really interesting read in terms of sport as a social history is Beyond A Boundary by CLR James. Granted, it's about cricket, but still essential.

Why anybody gets upset at how they apparently brand themselves is beyond me. They're hardly giving Hearts a pasting four times a season. They're probably the greatest club side the footballing world has ever seen ... just enjoy it.

I love watching Barca. I also love watching Real take a papping.

Best league in the world? No so sure. There are some pretty boring games in La Liga when the top 4 aren't involved.

linkin- hearts

Any true football fan must surely admire how Barcelona play I myself love watching them. Having said that i forgot all about their match the other night :woot:

Archived