Arsenal fans at Old Trafford

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Arsenal to contact fans to offer a ticket to another away fixture this season as way of an apology for yesterdays performance.

Nice touch.

chester copperpot

Hibs would go bankrupt v v quickly if they did that.

Was just thinking about how the 2.5K that travelled down to Spurs should be awarded for our travel despite us being out of the tie. A wee away ticket to Somerset park would be nice, and it would boost numbers.

Free trip to Wigan for sitting through your team conceeding 8 goals?

I'd be after free travel too, as it won't have been cheap for Arsenal fans to get to Manchester and back.

They should be refunding those that went to OT in full and issuing an apology to the fans. If I'd paid close to a grand for my Season Ticket, I'd be wanting to see much more from a far better team than the one that was put out there yesterday.

chester copperpot

I'd be after free travel too, as it won't have been cheap for Arsenal fans to get to Manchester and back.

I was thinking it's a nice gesture, as clubs are money grabbing *******s these days, ours included Eck.

alwaysthereinspirit

Hibs would go bankrupt v v quickly if they did that.

Not really. Giving back to 9 fans wouldn't cost much.

I was thinking it's a nice gesture, as clubs are money grabbing *******s these days, ours included Eck.

It is a nice gesture.

But I think, under the surface of it, Arsenal aren't really forfeiting much money with this deal.

The Treasurer

Was just thinking about how the 2.5K that travelled down to Spurs should be awarded for our travel despite us being out of the tie. A wee away ticket to Somerset park would be nice, and it would boost numbers.

A fair percentage of those that travelled to WHL will not be seen again until the next "big" game comes round.

chester copperpot

It is a nice gesture.

But I think, under the surface of it, Arsenal aren't really forfeiting much money with this deal.

I know, maybe they're trying to appease the fans because they aint spending no more money on transfer fees. :thumbsup:

chester copperpot

A fair percentage of those that travelled to WHL will not be seen again until the next "big" game comes round.

Aye I know mate, was just trying to think 'ootside the box'

The Treasurer

Aye I know mate, was just trying to think 'ootside the box'

It's a nice enough idea, but I think it would be a better idea to actually "reward" those that will actualy make the effort to travel to Ayr.

I doubt that is the case, since the vast majority were ST holders with over 100 loyalty points.

On Arsenal.

They have this away season ticket deal which is unusual in the way the price, fees and risk works. The risk is that many away season ticket holders will cancel their commitment, leaving Arsenal cold.

Let's see what happens. Recall, Arsenal had only 32,000 home fans at the old Highbury, and now sell 60,000 season tickets. That's one hell of a jump and if the club is nose diving, away fans will drop off first.

Too expensive, way too expensive. See the excellent thread on falling attendances for a deeper debate on this topic of ticket prices in the current economic climate.

Deodato

Aye but only if you actually made it to the game...

Gregory House M.D.

i agree with chester give a free ticket to ayr

Why should Hearts have to pay for loyalty? Don't be ******* daft.

Tommy Wiseau

Great stuff. When the money would be far better put towards one of the 5 players they desperately need as well... :rofl:

Sterling Archer

Won't have been cheap for the majority of man utd fans either.

Gregory House M.D.

Won't have been cheap for the majority of man utd fans either.

I could get a ticket and travel to Old Trafford and back for ?65. Hardly extortionate to watch Champions league finalists.

Or have I misunderstood your post? :lol:

Christ...watch your team get pumped 8-2 and they give you another ticket so you can see it happen again, but without paying! LOL

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Why would Hearts give two and a half thousand folk free tickets because they went to a glamour game?

:vrface:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

EPL football, a Rooney hat-rick, a 10 goal thriller and a free ticket for another game ???

Them Gooners are well spoiled :rofl:

Jam Tarts 1874

This is nothing but a gimmick that the Arsenal board hope will deflect attention away from their continued support of a dead duck. I heard a gooner on Radio 5 last night trying to defend Wenger, it was ridiculous in the extreme.

The board and Wenger have both lost sight of what it is that they were trying to achieve, which would appear to be good news for Liverpool.

shaun.lawson

This is nothing but a gimmick that the Arsenal board hope will deflect attention away from their continued support of a dead duck. I heard a gooner on Radio 5 last night trying to defend Wenger, it was ridiculous in the extreme.

The board and Wenger have both lost sight of what it is that they were trying to achieve, which would appear to be good news for Liverpool.

I heard that call too, and was pretty staggered.

However - sorry, but no-one as smart as Wenger would be this stubborn, or this unable to identify a chronic need for re-enforcements throughout the squad: he said as much in May, in fact. And that suggests:

1. Something has gone horribly wrong in Arsenal's transfer policy: specifically, since David Dein left.

2. His board may be expecting him to do the impossible, and keep them in the top 4 while spending next to nothing.

It's the board who are most culpable there in my view. Out of touch, behind the times... and happy to hang Wenger out to dry, because it obscures their own serious shortcomings.

Jam Tarts 1874

However - sorry, but no-one as smart as Wenger would be this stubborn, or this unable to identify a chronic need for re-enforcements throughout the squad: he said as much in May, in fact. And that suggests:

1. Something has gone horribly wrong in Arsenal's transfer policy: specifically, since David Dein left.

2. His board may be expecting him to do the impossible, and keep them in the top 4 while spending next to nothing.

It's the board who are most culpable there in my view. Out of touch, behind the times... and happy to hang Wenger out to dry, because it obscures their own serious shortcomings.

You say that, however surely Wenger is opinionated enough and has an high enough opinion of himself to speak out if he felt he was continually being baulked by the board there?

Wenger has become obsessed with his visions on how the game should be played and run, he needs to get to grips with the real world.

shaun.lawson

You say that, however surely Wenger is opinionated enough and has an high enough opinion of himself to speak out if he felt he was continually being baulked by the board there?

Wenger has become obsessed with his visions on how the game should be played and run, he needs to get to grips with the real world.

The politics behind the scenes - different people with different shareholdings and very different views on how the club should be run, coupled with a complete lack of leadership since Dein left - may mean Wenger is powerless to get anything done.

Of course, if things are that bad, he could resign; but I think he loves and believes in the club too much to do so TBH. All I know is that when things go wrong behind the scenes, any manager is hamstrung.

Jam Tarts 1874

The politics behind the scenes - different people with different shareholdings and very different views on how the club should be run, coupled with a complete lack of leadership since Dein left - may mean Wenger is powerless to get anything done.

Of course, if things are that bad, he could resign; but I think he loves and believes in the club too much to do so TBH. All I know is that when things go wrong behind the scenes, any manager is hamstrung.

I don't really care enough to think any more deeply about it. I just can't imagine that someone with Wenger's stature would just be bending down and taking it.

How long has it been since Dein left.Did he leave on good terms.

shaun.lawson

How long has it been since Dein left.Did he leave on good terms.

Left in April 2007. Parted on very bad terms: a number of key players were very unhappy, and Wenger was mortified. He'd lost his main ally at the club - and given questions have been asked about why Arsenal weren't signing players ever since Summer '08 at the latest, I don't think the two things are coincidental at all.

Archived