Today is the dawn of a new era for Heart of Midlothian

DETTY29

We've had a lot of games in a very short space of time recently culminating in a derby against our once fierce rivals.

And for that I've been able to excuse any player who was still buys into the 'Scottish' way of doing thigs.

But today (or tomorrow* if the players have had the day off) is the day that everything changes at Tynecastle. Today is the day every member of the playing staff from the signed kids through to the seasoned pros change their way and become a combination of completely dedicated fottballers and athletes who take great care of both their bodies, their minds and their professional pride.

On the 18th August, Tottenham Hotspur gave Scottish football the cheapest lesson any of us could have taken away. Yes we appreciate these guys get paid shedloads more, they are better players with better fitness, touch and control. And yes, I care about Scottish football, it's standards, the progression of the national team, but to me this is all secondary to the Heart of Midlothian.

I expect every player at Tynecastle and Riccarton from now on, to look in the mirror every day, and say to themselves - 'You know what - I gave everything I possible could, plus a bit more.'

Paulo will set you the standards. The very least you guys can do is follow them.

If you aren't prepared do that then Heart of Midlothian isn't the club for you. Thank you for another killing of the hobbits yesterday - indeed yesterday was a mercy killing in my mind - but yesterday was in the past, the old days, both good and bad.

With Paulo we move forward to a new dawn, a new era.

We will change, we will win, we will conquer.

Upwards and onwards.

We are the Heart of Midlothian.

* To be fair even if you do have the day off - nothing changes. Today is the day you rest like professionals)

Archived