Manchester United 8 (EIGHT)-2 Arsenal

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

A seminal day in EPL history; the worst one in Arsene Wenger's career; and a sign that this season's title race is indeed going to be something very, very special.

Whither Arsenal now? And Spurs, for that matter? "Anything you can do, we can do better" - in more ways than one, it seems... :o

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Merson almost in tears!

The title race is actually going to be exciting and, at this rate, the two of them will be 15 points clear.

Wenger's done. I reckon he needs to leave now, sacked or otherwise. This could get nasty for them and they need a top European coach to halt the slide.

Also, how pish are Spurs? :teehee:

A seminal day in EPL history; the worst one in Arsene Wenger's career; and a sign that this season's title race is indeed going to be something very, very special.

Whither Arsenal now? And Spurs, for that matter? "Anything you can do, we can do better" - in more ways than one, it seems... :o

Makes oor result against Spurs look a bit more respectable perhaps :rolleyes:

Snake Plissken

Manchester millionaires much better than North London millionaires.

Pretty incredible scores but the most important one today was at Tynecastle.

King of the North

Love the fact that that 8th goal kept City off the top of the table, despite their 'heroics' earlier in the day.

Like when they won the cup - on the same day United won the league.

And the last time they won the league - in the same week United won the European Cup.

City - the hobos of Manchester. Always in United's shadow.

shaun.lawson

Merson almost in tears!

The title race is actually going to be exciting and, at this rate, the two of them will be 15 points clear.

Wenger's done. I reckon he needs to leave now, sacked or otherwise. This could get nasty for them and they need a top European coach to halt the slide.

Also, how pish are Spurs? :teehee:

I agree that Wenger's finished. Given their dire need to sign players at the start of the summer, that they've since lost their two best players, but signed hardly anyone - is there something we're not being told there? They always say they have loads available to spend - and Stevie Wonder could see what's required. But not Arsene. Why? :unsure:

As for Spurs: when a club punches above its financial weight and reaches the Champions League, it has to somehow keep doing it - otherwise it goes rapidly backwards. Not finishing 4th last season has killed any possibility of Tottenham moving into real contention, stone dead: they just don't have the resources to do so. And like their partners in this afternoon's joint comedy act, they'll never, ever learn to defend properly either.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I agree that Wenger's finished. Given their dire need to sign players at the start of the summer, that they've since lost their two best players, but signed hardly anyone - is there something we're not being told there? They always say they have loads available to spend - and Stevie Wonder could see what's required. But not Arsene. Why? :unsure:

As for Spurs: when a club punches above its financial weight and reaches the Champions League, it has to somehow keep doing it - otherwise it goes rapidly backwards. Not finishing 4th last season has killed any possibility of Tottenham moving into real contention, stone dead: they just don't have the resources to do so. And like their partners in this afternoon's joint comedy act, they'll never, ever learn to defend properly either.

Wenger can't win now. For years he's been the master at quiet team building, churning out decent youngsters as big-name, big-earning players were allowed to leave for hefty money as they passed their peak. But his stubbornness looks like it has cost him everything. He should have signed Cahill and a couple of others at least last season. If he does it now it looks like desperation. It also undermines his authority, given how much he moans like frick at teams who spend money.

As for Spurs, I know. Just being a bit facetious. It's a little nice to see them destroyed by a team they can't compete with financially. :lol:

1st: GK & Djourou should have done better (credit a bit to Anderson)

(piss poor pen ... disgrace actually, from a seasoned player like v Persie)

2nd: Top notch from Young

3rd: Free kick Rooney - top notch but could Schezny have got a stronger hand to it?)

4th: Another Rooney FK but Schezney caught cheating (leave the wall to do its job).

5th: Nani unmarked chip - defence all at sea.

6th: Park left with too much space on edge

7th: Rooney penalty off a iffy penalty

(sending off - foul created by Hernandez - a fifty-fifty and no real need for Webb to give it but then its Webb afterall)

8th: Class again from Young.

Credit to United but just one of those days.

Post match analysis : jizzum everywhere.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Arsenal team that finished the game:

Szczesny, Koscielny, Djourou, Jenkinson (would have finished but sent off), Traore, Rosicky, Lansbury, Ramsey, Arshavin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chamakh

Deary me, that's, at best, a mid-table team.

shaun.lawson

Wenger can't win now. For years he's been the master at quiet team building, churning out decent youngsters as big-name, big-earning players were allowed to leave for hefty money as they passed their peak. But his stubbornness looks like it has cost him everything. He should have signed Cahill and a couple of others at least last season. If he does it now it looks like desperation. It also undermines his authority, given how much he moans like frick at teams who spend money.

This project was a five year plan which effectively began in 2006. Like all five year plans in history, it's completely failed. They've never emulated their run to the CL final in that year - with a very young side which was supposed to get better and better and better. And domestically, they peaked in the first half of 07/8, when Hleb and Flamini were on fire - but what happened? Both players left soon afterwards.

Arsenal have been going backwards ever since - and more to the point, over the final couple of months of last season, I thought their players visibly lost faith in what Wenger was trying to do. His stubbornness has actually began to ruin them; and I think the smarter players among them know it.

Arsenal have now taken 13 points from their last 14 league games. Tottenham have now taken a barely any better 15 points from their last 14 league games. Alarming stuff from both of them.

The penalty miss was the defining moment in the game ... Young goes up the other end and scores ... cliche, but Arsenal heads dropped and they were beat. No real fight after that.

Had they equalised it may well have been a bit different ... perhaps not in terms of where the points would have inevitably gone but Arsenal certainly wouldn't have been taken like that.

This project was a five year plan which effectively began in 2006. Like all five year plans in history, it's completely failed. They've never emulated their run to the CL final in that year - with a very young side which was supposed to get better and better and better. And domestically, they peaked in the first half of 07/8, when Hleb and Flamini were on fire - but what happened? Both players left soon afterwards.

Arsenal have been going backwards ever since - and more to the point, over the final couple of months of last season, I thought their players visibly lost faith in what Wenger was trying to do. His stubbornness has actually began to ruin them; and I think the smarter players among them know it.

Arsenal have now taken 13 points from their last 14 league games. Tottenham have now taken a barely any better 15 points from their last 14 league games. Alarming stuff from both of them.

The Arsenal that won tophies under Wenger was a team. Ever since they have been a bunch of talented individuals who sometimes gel and sometimes don't but always had the Achilles heal of gung-ho defending in big matches. They need a near total rebuild but aren't getting the chance as teams like Barca and Man City just keep on taking their best players...

Wenger is no way finished.He just needs to re group his young French guys.

Maybe not this year but he will be back.

If he was finished then - Vlad please call.

The Arsenal that won tophies under Wenger was a team. Ever since they have been a bunch of talented individuals who sometimes gel and sometimes don't but always had the Achilles heal of gung-ho defending in big matches. They need a near total rebuild but aren't getting the chance as teams like Barca and Man City just keep on taking their best players...

They,Arsenal have needed a rebuild for about four years.If they had done so and showed a little bit of ambition Nasri I believe would have gladly stayed.Fabregas would have left no matter what.Hard to believe some of the dross that has played in goals and central defence for them recently.

Wenger's living on past glories and is obsessed with his balance sheet and buying young flairtastc players.

He's turned Arsenal into Hibs.

Shaun, theres nothing special about two giants battling it out and the also rans clinging on fighting for European spots ( I refer you to the SPL). Thats what the EPL is this season. Much less special than when 4 teams could win it I'd argue.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Manchester millionaires much better than North London millionaires.

Pretty incredible scores but the most important one today was at Tynecastle.

This.

I couldn't give two monkeys what the glory hunters are crying/masterbating/slavering about.

How great do man city look! They showed spurs today that spurs are not in the same class as man city and man city allstars are going to run away with the premiership! As for the arse they are just comedy now and wengers killing them as they need a fresh man with new ideas.

Love the fact that that 8th goal kept City off the top of the table, despite their 'heroics' earlier in the day.

Like when they won the cup - on the same day United won the league.

And the last time they won the league - in the same week United won the European Cup.

City - the hobos of Manchester. Always in United's shadow.

Are you a Hearts fan or a Man Utd fan?

How great do man city look! They showed spurs today that spurs are not in the same class as man city and man city allstars are going to run away with the premiership! As for the arse they are just comedy now and wengers killing them as they need a fresh man with new ideas.

United smash EIGHT past a team that finished above a team Citeh put 5 past and City will run away with the Premiership?

:what:

CavySlaveJambo

theory's like that don't work.

And really the games that will matter are the manchester derby's and also the games v Chelski and Liverpool too really.

Seymour M Hersh

Wet dream time for Snoreson it would appear. :ninja:

Geoff Kilpatrick

United were frighteningly good. Arsenal's defence was frighteningly awful.

People drawing season conclusions from 3 games need their heads examined.

Geoff im all in agreement with you. Arsenal have been destroyed in many games in the past with worse players playing than today, Tavalerids, Remi Garde, Oleg Luzney all starting games at OT And losing 6-1. That Arsenal team on Sunday got well and truely beat. But could have scored 5 or 6 goals of there own but for some good goalkeeping and bad finishing too on Arsenals behalf it never happened and our defence was horrid. When you defend like a team of lost soldiers you deserve an a** kicking.

To suggest Wengers finished after 3 games is hilarious, wasnt Ferguson in a certain position with United and had one game to save himself sure it was V Nottingham Forrest and he did and now look at him.

What Wengers done to Arsenal to transfer them into a top 5 rich club in the world, bought and and sold on players for extreme money and built a future for them is unbelieveable. Some people need to see the light.

Expect 6 new signings before the deadline then see what happens.

What Wengers done to Arsenal to transfer them into a top 5 rich club in the world, bought and and sold on players for extreme money and built a future for them is unbelieveable. Some people need to see the light.

I suspect many may argue that had more to do with David Dein and not Arsene Wenger.

I vastly disagree with that case. David Dean did alot of stuff in the backround that the board couldnt take. There was a reason he was sacked. I like David Dein but from many others I know of the same storys which have circled around Arsenal Way about Deins private dealings with players etc he doesnt deserve to get any respect or knowledge.

Optimus Prime

Shaun, theres nothing special about two giants battling it out and the also rans clinging on fighting for European spots ( I refer you to the SPL). Thats what the EPL is this season. Much less special than when 4 teams could win it I'd argue.

This. We are rapidly getting to the point where the finances of some clubs is killing any last notion of a level playing field.

Jam Tarts 1874

United have traditionally been slow-starters. Their good form so early in the season suggests that the others are just playing for runners-up.

I don't think it matters who you support, I think that Man Utd's success is great news for football. In the face of huge investments from rivals Chelsea and Man City, Fergie still looks the best without the same level of investment. Indeed, you have to look at how much Chelsea miss Mourinho to see the difference a manager can make. Clearly money isn't everything.

Jam Tarts 1874

Just to add to what I said, did Jim McLean or Sir Alex Ferguson have the resources to compete financially with the old firm?

How much did the Hearts team the nearly won the league cost?

shaun.lawson

Just to add to what I said, did Jim McLean or Sir Alex Ferguson have the resources to compete financially with the old firm?

Comparing football in the mid-80s to Football 2011 is beyond bonkers. So, for that matter, is trying to portray Manchester United as plucky, penniless underdogs.

Comparing football in the mid-80s to Football 2011 is beyond bonkers. So, for that matter, is trying to portray Manchester United as plucky, penniless underdogs.

United tried their best in the 80's to buy the league.I think they came close in one season.If I remember correctly the first thing Fergie did was to get rid of the so called boozers clique that existed,he got rid of all bar B Robson.To think Big Ron would regularly get his photos taken with a glass of champagne,never happen now.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I don't think Rangers or Celtic had that much more money, to be honest.

Anyway, football is barely recognisable from those days. Take Dundee Utd, they signed Paul Sturrock from juniors when he was 18. How much unspotted talent do you think there is kicking around in the juniors these days that could help take your team to a European Cup semi?

The big clubs not only have a financial monopoly at the transfer record level, they splash the cash around for fun at kids' level too. There isn't a boy playing football anywhere in Scotland that a team like Man Utd don't essentially have first dibs on. Thirty years ago it was possible for local boys in places like Aberdeenshire and Tayside to slip under their radar and be picked up by Fergie and McLean. Nowadays, no chance. These days their chief scouts can be watching footage of the boy that same night on their phones. The money they would spend to bring him down for a trial, sign him and have him kicking around their youth teams for six years is a drop in the ocean to them. If one in a hundred makes the first team it makes no difference financially.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Agreed that football is different from now to then. As for United's resources though, would you not agree that they are handicapped by the Glazers in relation to the peer group you hold United in?

I vastly disagree with that case. David Dean did alot of stuff in the backround that the board couldnt take. There was a reason he was sacked. I like David Dein but from many others I know of the same storys which have circled around Arsenal Way about Deins private dealings with players etc he doesnt deserve to get any respect or knowledge.

And yet, it could certainly be argued that Arsenal's transfer dealings have got steadily worse since he left. I know exactly what he's like in terms of brown envelopes and the likes. Tom Bower detailed it in his book 'Broken Dreams'. But since Dein has left, there is little doubt Arsenal have lost their way (indeed he's often been described as the only person who could tell Wenger exactly what was needed). It could be a simple coincidence but I think its more than that.

shaun.lawson

Agreed that football is different from now to then. As for United's resources though, would you not agree that they are handicapped by the Glazers in relation to the peer group you hold United in?

Yes. So instead, they go around practically snatching bazillions of South American players from their mothers' bosoms - and the sheer size of club, plus a magnificent manager who has a very serious claim to being the greatest in history, leaves them nonetheless OK, and still able to spend big or occasionally very big when they need to.

To put it another way: they started with a big, big inbuilt advantage over Chelsea or, more latterly, Man City. In ten years time, that may have been flipped on its head - or alternatively, they may well have been bought by someone with even deeper pockets than City's owners. And I can't see any United fan complaining if that proves to be the case. :ninja:

Gregory House M.D.

Yes. So instead, they go around practically snatching bazillions of South American players from their mothers' bosoms - and the sheer size of club, plus a magnificent manager who has a very serious claim to being the greatest in history, leaves them nonetheless OK, and still able to spend big or occasionally very big when they need to.

To put it another way: they started with a big, big inbuilt advantage over Chelsea or, more latterly, Man City. In ten years time, that may have been flipped on its head - or alternatively, they may well have been bought by someone with even deeper pockets than City's owners. And I can't see any United fan complaining if that proves to be the case. :ninja:

There's no claim about it. Sir Alex Ferguson IS the greatest manager in history. Closely followed by Sir Matt of course.

It is astonishing that Fergie has rebuilt the side in one summer.

With Cleverley and Young in there the passing is faster and sharper. Rooney looks right at the top of his game. Jones has been described by Bobby Charlton as reminding him of Duncan Edwards' power and build! The interlinking play has been tremendous to watch and they have even been able to carry what looks like a dodgy keeper.

If they can last the season playing this way it is going to be a treat to watch. Fergie has been watching Barcelona I think.

shaun.lawson

There's no claim about it. Sir Alex Ferguson IS the greatest manager in history. Closely followed by Sir Matt of course.

:rolleyes:

Who's third? Ron Atkinson? :lol:

Gregory House M.D.

:rolleyes:

Who's third? Ron Atkinson? :lol:

:lol: Jock Stein? Bill Shankly?

Scotland produce some good managers BTW!

Archived