Stop city centre marches?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Stop city centre marches?

• Yes
    • No
    • Move them away from city centre
    • No opinion on the subject

Professor.Arturo

We are getting near that time again, every Saturday soon there will some kind of march through the city streets, bringing traffic to a complete standstill...on top of the current road work chaos. We'll have Orange walks, James Connolly march, Gay pride etc etc. Anyone wanting to subscribe a particular religeous body, thats fine with me, go ahead. Your gay? fine be happy and proud if you like, frankly the rest of us could not give a flying **** what orifice you prefer, so why march through the city to tell us???

There will be a plethora of other organizations doing it too. IMO its time to put a stop to it, they always pick the busiest day of the week (Saturday) to let us less informed folks know what they are into....big deal!

Others will argue its their civil right to march, fair enough, the council can allow them to march round Arthur seat and Holyrood park, they get to march & no problems for the rest of us. And anyone wanting to watch them know where to go. Sorted!

Sorry to divert the attention a wee bit, Ratcatcher, but I would also ban anybody who stops you and asks for your money: homeless people (especially those Romanian people who shout 'pleeeeeeeasssee', 'volunteers' collecting for Oxfam etc, those ****ing 'gouranga' people, big issue sellers et al).

It really ruins the effect of Princes Street when you can't walk 5 yards without being hounded to part with your dosh for some charity case. If you said yes to all these people you'd be skint by the time you reached Waterstone's. If I wanted to give your cause money, I would do so privately. Now **** off.

I know this sounds insensitive but I really don't care; it ****es me off no end.

Surprise, surprise I voted 'yes', by the way :)

Auld Reekin'

A definite YES for banning the Connolly and Orange marches. They can each dress it up in all the 'history and tradition' they want, but both are only there as a GIRUY to whoever they regard as "the other lot" and offer nothing positive or constructive to anyone else. Feck the lot of 'em.

Couldn't care less about any other marches or demos, although wouldn't want a repeat of the G8 disturbances again.

Ibrahim Tall
Sorry to divert the attention a wee bit, Ratcatcher, but I would also ban anybody who stops you and asks for your money: homeless people (especially those Romanian people who shout 'pleeeeeeeasssee', 'volunteers' collecting for Oxfam etc, those ****ing 'gouranga' people, big issue sellers et al).

It really ruins the effect of Princes Street when you can't walk 5 yards without being hounded to part with your dosh for some charity case. If you said yes to all these people you'd be skint by the time you reached Waterstone's. If I wanted to give your cause money, I would do so privately. Now **** off.

I know this sounds insensitive but I really don't care; it ****es me off no end.

Surprise, surprise I voted 'yes', by the way :)

Agreed.

Bindy Badgy
those ****ing 'gouranga' people

What exactly are they collecting for?

I asked one of them once and got a rambling response which didn't answer my question.

A Boy Named Crow
Democracy? I hate banning anything

Democracy is a contrived notion, invented a few hundred years ago. Somehow in that time people have come to consider it as their "right". Western governmets try and impose it on other states at every oportuntity. Personally I think it's rubbish. Consider your run of the mill morons, do you really want these people making decisions that could affect your life? In fact if you were a moron, would you want the responsiblity of having to think for yourself? Morons are in no position to make decisions int their own best interests, this negates the only benefit on democracy - the idea that everybody acts to the common good.

I would be much more in favour of John Stewart Mill style form of plural voting, the more able you are to think, the more sway your votes hold Everybody would win - just the morons wouldn't realise.

In my opinion, anybody who goes on a march to influence the views of other people is obviously a moron, their opinions should be ignored and all marches banned!

The marches won't affect me in the slightest, but the keep-them-off-public-streets idea seems a good 'un.

Let them march through a park/ Princes St Gardens/ whatever and let it be publicised that they'll be doing so and let your ordinary Joe/Josephine get on with their Saturday whatever it is they want to do.

Democracy is a contrived notion, invented a few hundred years ago. Somehow in that time people have come to consider it as their "right". Western governmets try and impose it on other states at every oportuntity. Personally I think it's rubbish. Consider your run of the mill morons, do you really want these people making decisions that could affect your life? In fact if you were a moron, would you want the responsiblity of having to think for yourself? Morons are in no position to make decisions int their own best interests, this negates the only benefit on democracy - the idea that everybody acts to the common good.

I would be much more in favour of John Stewart Mill style form of plural voting, the more able you are to think, the more sway your votes hold Everybody would win - just the morons wouldn't realise.

In my opinion, anybody who goes on a march to influence the views of other people is obviously a moron, their opinions should be ignored and all marches banned!

Even morons are allowed opinions! I've not been on a march but wouldn't ban people from doing so. I'm quite happy thinking for myself thanks!

Spot on !!!! Post of the year!

Archived