Football Training (NHC)

JamTarts1874

JamTarts1874

Been getting back in Sunday League and currently just on the bench just now.

Not played 11s for a few years now but regularly play 6s and 7s.

Will probably sound foolish but I was wondering a good way to improve my fitness, I know playing 11 a side is obviously the best way, however I was looking for any ideas on what I could do at the gym etc.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :thumbsup:

chester copperpot

Will probably sound foolish but I was wondering a good way to improve my fitness, I know playing 11 a side is obviously the best way, however I was looking for any ideas on what I could do at the gym etc.

Go jogging on grass with football boots on. I know it sounds daft, but my old coach used to do that with us and it worked a treat. I used to do it around Jack Kane Centre, as that's fecking huge.

We're talking many years ago mind, but he said it was much better than just road running with trainers on, as it conditioned the legs better.

Walter Bishop

CoolStoryBro.jpg

I understand training 9 till 6 is now what is required.

9 till 6 aint really that long when you think about it, as it wont all be hard training.

For example a day consisting of this wouldnt exactly be a slog

9-10.30am Breakfast with video anaylsis for players to watch

(Monday it could be the previous weekends game Plusses and Negatives of the game, Tuesday and Wednesday something PS wants to try to implement to Hearts and perhaps watch a team he wants to be like, Thursday and Friday footage of the upcoming opponents and their strengths and weaknesses)

11am - 1pm Tradional training, fitness work and ball skills

1.30pm - 2.30pm Lunch and some downtime like any normal job

3pm - 5pm Some work serious work on set plays, as well an hours game ( I really think more clubs should set there players up to play at 3pm in training to get there bodys used to it) alternating on certain days with with gym work

5pm - 6pm Anything else the manager feels needs worked on, or if players wish to work on something personally. Ie the CBs watching the upcoming opposition forwards etc

I dont think thats too much to ask. Obviously bits can be changed in this as im merely thinking out loud

The_razors_edge

Use the internet mate. It's a great resource for finding sport specific fitness information and advice. Also, there's lots of books out there too. You don't even have to buy them just go on to google books and you should be able to preview some. First thing I would do though is find out your current fitness (aerobic capacity) levels by doing a Intermittant yo yo fitness test or bleep test (they're very similar) then go through some of the fitness activities the internet and books suggest. Be careful about going to the gym. You don't want to be doing stuff that's going to increase your muscle mass. You do however want to increase strength. This means you need to be careful with regards to how heavy weights you do, how any sets and how many reps. You need to try and make any training specific to football and that means doing activities that have some sort of relevance. Interval training, fartlek training, hill runs, shuttles and agility based drills will all help. I would also suggest joining a boxing gym as the work they do is very hard but very beneficial. I've used boxing trainers to improve the fitness levels of the teams I have coached before and it makes a huge difference. Once you've done maybe a month to 6 weeks worth of consistent work, test yourself again using the tests above and you can then measure the improvements.

Hope this helps

TRE

Archived