Romanov's Battle for Hearts and Minds

Samster

I looked through 10 pages of threads and couldn't see it but apologies if this has already been posted and discussed.

Oscar Wilde, the famous Irish playwright, was not known for his love of sport, but his warning ?to expect the unexpected? could certainly apply to the world of football, not least at Heart of Midlothian, where the colourful owner Vladimir Romanov continues to resist the path of predictability. Just two games into the Scottish Premier League (SPL), the volatile Lithuanian decided to sack the club?s manager Jim Jefferies, replacing him with the former Sporting Lisbon manager Paulo S?rgio. The popular Jefferies was in his second spell as Hearts manager after a ten-year absence, retaining much goodwill for delivering the Scottish Cup in 1998, ending 36 years without a trophy.

Full atricle: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

It's pretty lengthy so printing it off an reading in your lunch hour could be a idea.

Francis Albert

Was posted a week or so ago. Good clear and unbiased article, although there is nothing really new in it.

Strange title though - Vlad can be accused of/ praised for many things but "battling for hearts and minds" is surely not one of them.

Was posted a week or so ago. Good clear and unbiased article, although there is nothing really new in it.

Strange title though - Vlad can be accused of/ praised for many things but "battling for hearts and minds" is surely not one of them.

Agreed, but I think the title is, in the long term perspective, not far off the mark.

However, it nearly lost me when he misquoted Levein, taking Craig's general comment about football management as a specific against Hearts.

However, it nearly lost me when he misquoted Levein, taking Craig's general comment about football management as a specific against Hearts.

to be fair to the lad, he was probably just taking what was published widely. unless you saw the interview and got the correct quote and the fact that he was laughing as he said it then its easy to come up with what he did.

That's the thing, while the content is pretty interesting (Levein error aside, obviously) it was fairly clear that his grasp on the overall situation wasn't great. It's difficult to understand if you're not immersed in it, granted, but nonetheless it was a bit frustrating. Our situation and his actions are often misrepresented.

KilbrideJambo

I looked through 10 pages of threads and couldn't see it but apologies if this has already been posted and discussed.

Full atricle: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

It's pretty lengthy so printing it off an reading in your lunch hour could be a idea.

I found that an interesting read and the issues were covered in good depth with fair anaysis - many could learn from the style in terms of detailed homework and objectivity.

Archived