Squad structure and player recruitment

colinzeal

I am not going to base this on last night as we would never have been able to compete with Spurs regardless, but I was thinking last night about the structure of our squad and our player recruitment.

Firstly as some people have mentioned already in other threads we have players who are earning more than they should in comparison to players of the same/better quality at other SPL teams. This is particurally frustrating when you see some of the players Kilmarnock have unearthed in the last couple of seasons. Where is our scouting network, do we have one? We need a central midfielder so we come up with the option of signing the twice failed Michael Stewart for a third time! I find it impossible to believe he is the best option out there available to us! For years now I have been thinking we are cutting down the deadwood, but the trouble is on the whole we are replacing a lack of quality with a lack of quality.

In the summer it seemed clear to me that JJ has no idea of football beyond Scotland and that is why every player was recruited from here, it is that type of thinking which will stop us from progressing. Although there is nothing wrong with signing players from the SPL especially if we get somebody like Grainger in, there is not enough quality available there to rely on it.

I truely hope that Sergio casts the net across Europe to try and find players to take this CLub forward, with our budget we should have a better squad.

If Sergio is going to get us sorted the first thing he needs to do is sort out two key positions for me. We need a new commanding centre half, a central midfielder who can get up and down ( We have needed this for a few years). We can no longer persist with this Black and Merovic central midfield pairing as it really is hindering us. It has to be one or the other.

Fingers crossed for a good season domestically, but we definately need to make some changes to the recruitment policy and the playing squad.

Charlie-Brown

It's a longer term solution but we should be teaching and producing our own players to play the way that's better and required but if you want short term solutions then bringing in foreigners or even SPL journeymen might improve you in a couple of positions but fundamentally it doesn't solve anything.

To be better we need to improve our own capabilities and need to improve ourselves - the national team make the same mistake trying to find anybody with a Scottish grandparent if it will help us win a football match but fundamentally it doesn't improve Scottish football and how we coach and improve our players if we abandon that side of the game to others and bring in players from elsewhere.

NextGenerationJambo

agreed! look at all the best players in the world: messi, ronaldo, fabregas, xavi, rooney, kaka etc

ALL PICKED UP WHEN THEY WERE YOUNG!

It's a longer term solution but we should be teaching and producing our own players to play the way that's better and required but if you want short term solutions then bringing in foreigners or even SPL journeymen might improve you in a couple of positions but fundamentally it doesn't solve anything.

To be better we need to improve our own capabilities and need to improve ourselves - the national team make the same mistake trying to find anybody with a Scottish grandparent if it will help us win a football match but fundamentally it doesn't improve Scottish football and how we coach and improve our players if we abandon that side of the game to others and bring in players from elsewhere.

I totally agree with you, it is all about bringing youngsters through, but I also think bringing in foreginers who are technically more gifted and lead a healthier lifestyle provides better role models for the youngsters. Of course I am not saying all foreigners offer that, but that is why appropriate recruitment. As i say teh players Killie brought in last year added something to this dire league and I am sure the youngsters learned a fair bit off of the likes of Eremenko.

I think it is about striking the right balance. Sky money aside foreigners totally changed the attitude in English football from going out on aFriday night and playing on the Saturday to being professional atheletes. The difference in athleticism between the two teams last night was clear for all to see.

Charlie-Brown

I totally agree with you, it is all about bringing youngsters through, but I also think bringing in foreginers who are technically more gifted and lead a healthier lifestyle provides better role models for the youngsters. Of course I am not saying all foreigners offer that, but that is why appropriate recruitment. As i say teh players Killie brought in last year added something to this dire league and I am sure the youngsters learned a fair bit off of the likes of Eremenko.

I think it is about striking the right balance. Sky money aside foreigners totally changed the attitude in English football from going out on aFriday night and playing on the Saturday to being professional atheletes. The difference in athleticism between the two teams last night was clear for all to see.

It was however the top English clubs scour all of europe searching for players who tick all the boxes in terms of fitness, athleticism, physique/build, ability, skill, pace, mentality, tactical-awareness etc etc. They can also afford the best coaching, fitness & conditioning, medical teams etc etc

kingantti1874

agreed! look at all the best players in the world: messi, ronaldo, fabregas, xavi, rooney, kaka etc

ALL PICKED UP WHEN THEY WERE YOUNG!

but if we happened to stumble upon anyone of that quality at a club our size they will be stolen before they make the grade....look at the boy feruz at the tic - off to chelsea apparently at the first opportunity

We have far too many players.

Less players on higher wages means we can sign a ether quality of player.

And can we please stop signing players who are chronically slow.

NextGenerationJambo

but if we happened to stumble upon anyone of that quality at a club our size they will be stolen before they make the grade....look at the boy feruz at the tic - off to chelsea apparently at the first opportunity

suppose, but there will be the odd one who would rather be playing first team football than going to a club where its highly unlikely he'll make the squad! we have one of the best youth developments in scotland but very few players make the cut which is why a reserve league is good otherwise they are going to be stolen and its a waste of talent really

We have far too many players.

Less players on higher wages means we can sign a ether quality of player.

And can we please stop signing players who are chronically slow.

Decent players who are quick will not be at Hearts. you can get one or the other, so slow but talented players, or Ivan Sproule-alikes who can run but have the first touch of a three legged elephant on a trampoline.

Archived